Notices

Old May 19, 2002, 18:35   #1
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
FN-49 Survey Sniper Rifles and Sniper Scopes & Mounts

FN-49 Survey – Sniper Rifles and Sniper Scopes & Mounts

SEE SIMPLIFIED SURVEY QUESTIONS IN POST #15

Anybody out there own an original FN-49 sniper rifle? How about an FN-49 sniper scope rig? If so, let’s see if we can collect some data on these things.

On the rifles, I’m interested in any rifle that appears to have been an original sniper rifle – usually (but not always) as evidenced by the presence of a wood cheekpiece screwed to the comb of the stock. In addition, there are photographs of Egyptian sniper rifles with a leather cheekpiece. I am not interested in FN-49s that just have a scope mounted in the dovetail on the left receiver rail UNLESS you have reason to believe that the rifle was originally fitted/used as a sniper while in military service.

On the scopes, I’m interested in any scope and mount that fit the standard FN-49 scope dovetail on the left receiver rail even if not presently mounted on a “sniper” rifle and even if all you have is a scope rig that is not mounted on a rifle at all. (Not interested in any of the aftermarket mounts like the B-Square or S&K).

OK, here’s the questions:

RIFLES
  • Contract (Luxembourg, Egypt, other)
  • Rifle Serial Number? (Either the whole number or, if you prefer, insert one “X” for final digit)
  • Does the stock serial number match the receiver serial number?
  • Does it have a cheekpiece? (If so, wood?)
  • Does it have a muzzle brake? (If so, is it the typical FN 6-slot design?)
  • Does it have a middle sling swivel located just in front of the magazine?
  • Any other unique features?
  • What scope is presently mounted?
  • Does scope serial number match rifle?
    (see scope questions that follow)
SCOPES

OIP Scope
  • “ABL” marking or other
  • Year (1951, other?)
  • Code – ends in 009 B.G., 010 B.G., or other
  • Serial Number – (please provide actual number)
  • Finish (blued, gray paint, other?)
MEOPTA Scope
  • Scope Serial Number – (please provide actual number)
  • Finish (blued, other?)
  • Any other distinguishing marks - features
Other Scopes

If you have any other scope that you believe was original equipment for an FN-49, send that information along.

Base, Mount & Rings
  • Have Echo mount & rings or other?
  • Does the mount have any other markings/numbers?
  • Is the base numbered or have any other markings?
  • Mount/rings/base finish? (blued, black paint, gray paint, other?)
THANKS in advance to all respondents. Please post your results on this thread or PM me directly.

Goose

Last edited by Goose52; December 09, 2017 at 16:20.
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2002, 17:54   #2
Goose52
Registered

All right you guys . . . somebody is holding back! I remember that during my rifle survey, at least one Board member mentioned that they had an OIP scope.

Anybody want to share!

Goose
Old May 24, 2002, 21:28   #3
Skilter
Registered

FALaholic #: 1021
BTT - I want to know more!

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
--------------------------------------------
M 7:7-14 tells you all you need to know.
Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2002, 18:56   #4
Goose52
Registered

Thanks to those folks that have sent emails. I now have data on 23 sniper rifles and 19 OIP scopes. I have a little bit of data on MEOPTA scopes.

As expected, the Luxembourg contract snipers remain in the range of SerNo. 7000 to just a bit over 7200 and run consecutively - all rifles in this range are snipers.

I have data on one Belgian contract (ABL) sniper so I obviously can't draw any conclusions about the snipers in that contract.

Fully-rigged Egyptian snipers are falling in the serial number range of 34100 up to 34500 - however, not all rifles in this range are snipers; out of 10 rifles in the data base in this serial number range, 5 are snipers - 5 are not. Therefore, we still don't have any data that indicates the total number of fully-rigged Egyptian snipers that were produced. Also, there are actually at least three serial number ranges of Egyptian contract FN-49s that have the scope cut. I have a report of an all-matching (including stock), scope-cut rifle in the 64XX range that has two screw holes in the comb of the stock indicating a prior installation of the cheekpiece. This potentially could have been an early Egyptian sniper that was superseded by the later "3-swivel" rifles in the 34XXX range.

Anybody else out there have data that they want to share? The more data we have . . . the more we learn!

Thanks,

Goose
Old August 26, 2002, 18:54   #5
Goose52
Registered

I now have data on 35 genuuuuuine FN-49 snipers.

Anybody else have a sniper or an OIP scope rig that wants to play?

Goose
Old February 13, 2003, 23:09   #6
Goose52
Registered

Anybody recently buy any FN-49 sniper stuff and have some data to contribute?

Thanks

Goose
Old July 08, 2003, 21:16   #7
Goose52
Registered

OK, I've got data on 39 genuuuuwine snipers, 44 OIP scopes, and 7 Meopta scopes.

Has anybody out there bought some of these goodies lately or have I exhausted the Board members that have any of this stuff

Goose
Old July 08, 2003, 22:18   #8
G_FAL
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2210
Seems to me that Sarco listed FN49 sniper scopes in the last issue of SGN.
Kind of pricey , too.
G_FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2003, 23:00   #9
Goose52
Registered

Yep - both Sarco and Northridge will sell you the base, Echo mount, and OIP scope for $795 (as shown in the pic). If concerned about authenticity, however, the OIP scopes are probably really only correct when mounted on a Belgian contract FN-49 with a wood cheekpiece ...

Regardless of authenticity, many people have purchased these rigs and it's helpful to get the data on these ABL-marked OIP scopes as (since they're serialized) it provides a piece of the puzzle in making a determination of approximately how many Belgian snipers were made.
For instance, at least 1,800 OIP scopes were made - which means that even if Belgium purchased 2 scopes per rifle - that would mean that at least 900 Belgian snipers were made. I have reports from Belgium and Italy of Belgian snipers with period Weaver scopes mounted ... which could indicate that even more snipers were made.

Just collecting the pieces of the puzzle ...

Goose
Old April 15, 2014, 07:49   #10
gunguy56
Registered

FALaholic #: 12649
FN49 Snipers

I know that the original post was more than 10 years ago, but I have a Venezuelan contract FN49 in 7x57 with the factory milled dovetail on the left side of the receiver for a scope mount..Is there a current supplier of repro OIP scope mounts that I could.contact? I have a S&K rig but it replaces the top cover.I want an original style. Thanks guys.
Old April 15, 2014, 14:03   #11
Goose52
Registered

The scope base and Echo scope mount sold out from the surplus vendors YEARS ago. There may still be some floating around in Europe. Otherwise, they occasionally show up on the auction sites. There have been no quality reproductions made although there have been MANY garage creations made to utilize the receiver dovetail.

Sorry - you're about 5 to 10 years late to this party...

Goose
Old April 15, 2014, 18:55   #12
4august
Registered

FALaholic #: 73143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy56 View Post
I know that the original post was more than 10 years ago, but I have a Venezuelan contract FN49 in 7x57 with the factory milled dovetail on the left side of the receiver for a scope mount..Is there a current supplier of repro OIP scope mounts that I could.contact? I have a S&K rig but it replaces the top cover.I want an original style. Thanks guys.
I got a scope bracket last month from a company in Belgium (amsmilitaria.com). Is listed as "new material" ... but if is a reproduction is a very good one. For the scope I bought the "civilian" version (same company but small knobs) of the military mountings.
4august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2014, 19:55   #13
Goose52
Registered

Yeah - the base has been reproduced over the years...but the Echo mount has not been repro'd
Old April 15, 2014, 20:52   #14
4august
Registered

FALaholic #: 73143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
Yeah - the base has been reproduced over the years...but the Echo mount has not been repro'd
I saw on the internet many "contraptions" for the scope base and the reason I am saying that this one is a good one is because both scope mounts (non-military and military (I have an original Luxembourg scope with original mount)) fit very well (there is no play when the knobs are tighten, not even after shooting).
I can not say anything about the reproduction scope mounts as I did not seen any and I did not look for them.
4august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2017, 16:56   #15
Goose52
Registered

Don't you just love "zombie" threads (back from the dead) ...

OK, for the new "Filers" that may have come on board since 2003 or so, I'm taking another run at a quick FN-49 Sniper Rifle and Sniper Equipment Survey. This is part of data gathering for the 2nd edition of my FN-49 book expected to be published by mid-2018.

So, anyone out there have an original FN-49 sniper rifle or related equipment ? If so, here's the info I need:

Luxembourg Sniper:
  • Rifle serial no.
  • Scope base 3-digit number
  • Type of scope currently mounted including model no. and serial no.

Egyptian Sniper:
  • Rifle serial no.
  • Scope base number (3-digit Arabic number - use the 100-1000 meter rear sight range graduations to translate - read the number from left to right)
  • Meopta scope serial no. (4-digit number [0###] just in front of the ocular bell)
  • Does the engraved serial number on the front of the scope match the rifle serial number?

Belgian (ABL) Sniper:
  • Rifle serial no.
  • Stock serial no.
  • Wood cheekpiece present?
  • Type of scope currently mounted including model no. and serial no.

FN-49 Type OIP Scopes - both ABL (Belgium) and A.L. (Luxembourg) models:
  • ABL: Serial no. / Year / Part no. (-009B.G., -010B.G., or -010B.G./1 ) / finish - blued or gray paint
  • A.L: Serial no.

ALSO - if you have an OIP zeroing tool - please check out this thread: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415806

That's it. Thanks for any info you can provide - post in this thread or send in a PM.

THANKS !

Last edited by Goose52; December 31, 2017 at 19:00.
Old December 31, 2017, 17:16   #16
monkad
Registered

FALaholic #: 80448
Location: Milan, Italy - Reply to Goose52 post concerning OIP Scope S/N
S/N ABL Scopes

Good evening to all you guys, I'm new to the forum, which I find of very high interest and plentiful of useful infos.

Not sure this is the right thread to post this:

ABL: Serial no. 431 / Year 1951 / Part no. -009B.G.
ABL: Serial no. 963 / Year 1951 / Part no. -010B.G.
ABL: Serial no. 1605 / Year 1951 / Part no. -010B.G.
monkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 19:06   #17
Goose52
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkad View Post
Good evening to all you guys, I'm new to the forum, which I find of very high interest and plentiful of useful infos.

Not sure this is the right thread to post this:

ABL: Serial no. 431 / Year 1951 / Part no. -009B.G.
ABL: Serial no. 963 / Year 1951 / Part no. -010B.G.
ABL: Serial no. 1605 / Year 1951 / Part no. -010B.G.
Ciao monkad !

Grazie / thanks for the information. I should have had this question in my instructions above - could you tell me the finish on these OIP scopes - are they blued or have gray paint?

Thanks and WELCOME to FAL Files !
Old January 02, 2018, 08:03   #18
monkad
Registered

FALaholic #: 80448
Location: Milan, Italy - Reply to Goose52 post concerning OIP Scope S/N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
Ciao monkad !

Grazie / thanks for the information. I should have had this question in my instructions above - could you tell me the finish on these OIP scopes - are they blued or have gray paint?

Thanks and WELCOME to FAL Files !
You are right, I skipped the finish question:

431 grey
963 blued
1605 blued
monkad is offline   Reply With Quote