The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old April 15, 2019, 16:10   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482

Some time ago I bought a 1911 that was used by a bullseye shooter. Guy was a top competition shooter as he had all minds of awards showing his wins. The guns he had built were by a named professional but this one was more of an experiment by the looks of it. He spent time and money on it but I decided to change it.

He took a NM frame from Springfield and had a lot of work including a fine trigger on it. The slide had a kart match barrel and bushing but he drilled holes in the slide for a scope mount. Looked like crap and wouldn't fit any holster so I took off the rail and added fixed sights.

Today I am working on it and it came to me that with the nice trigger on it I may end up hurting it by going full power ball loads. Should I take the risk and turn it back to a hardball gun or just shoot powder puff target loads?
Old April 15, 2019, 16:29   #2
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
I would be much more concerned if he was running a reduced power recoil spring. He may have also been running a reduced power hammer spring as well. If I thought a 1911 was running reduced loads, I would replace both springs.
Old April 15, 2019, 19:55   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

Man I looked at it and looked at it thinking the frame is just perfect but the slide is an ugly mess. He did have a low recoil spring in it and his target loads were very light. I am thinking of just getting a 22 conversion and putting that on it. I doubt the conversion will beat up a trigger job?
Old April 17, 2019, 00:50   #4
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Rock Island slides are cheap at Sarco. Just saying.
Old April 17, 2019, 00:59   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

The guy used a red dot and drilled holes in the slide to mount a base. Base wasn't tight enough and scuffed up the slide. He had a Match Kart barrel and bushing fit to the slide and numbered to the gun. I could put screws in the holes and refinish the slide to make it look better but then it wouldn't match the frame.

I went out today and bought from a friend a Kimber match 22LR conversion kit. It had two mags and cost $250. I put it on and it fit really good, will shoot it this week to see if it's a keeper.
Old April 18, 2019, 00:34   #6
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post

I went out today and bought from a friend a Kimber match 22LR conversion kit. It had two mags and cost $250. I put it on and it fit really good, will shoot it this week to see if it's a keeper.
Looking forward to the range report and pics.
Old April 18, 2019, 17:02   #7
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 30456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Today I am working on it and it came to me that with the nice trigger on it I may end up hurting it by going full power ball loads.
The sear/hammer surfaces will not be damaged by shooting standard pressure 230gr FMJ.

I suspect the pistol was optimized for light loads which probably means that the lightest possible springs were used.

I would replace the recoil spring with a Wolff 16lb and I'd replace the mainpsring (hammer spring) with a 23lb Wolff. I would also replace the firing pin stop with an EGW flat bottom stop. It will probably need to be fit to the slide and extractor but this is not a big job.

The new springs and the firing pin stop will act to slow down the rearward velocity of the slide which will mitigate the impact of the slide against the frame abutment thereby reducing wear and tear on the pistol.

Resist the urge to use anything stronger than a 16lb recoil spring. The stronger the spring the faster the slide will come forward. This results in greater muzzle dip as the barrel feet slam into the slide stop pin. It also increases wear on the barrel feet and slide stop. Here's a video showing the effect of various weight recoil springs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUecHstU4QQ. I run 14lb recoil springs in my 5" 1911s for everything from my handloads to 230gr JHPs.

You may have to add tension to the middle leaf of the sear spring if you experience any hammer follow. To test for hammer follow I recommend loading two rounds of hardball in the mag and fire them (after you switch out the springs and fit the flat bottom firing pin stop). I'd dedicate a total of 20 rounds to this test to be sure there's no hammer follow.

After doing a trigger job I will always do the hammer follow test by dropping the slide on an empty chamber a few times. However, with your specific pistol I wouldn't do this because it increases wear on the hammer/sear contact surfaces. Instead use the two round method I described above.
Steve in Allentown, PA is offline   Reply With Quote