The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old April 12, 2019, 17:52   #1
ByrnieMac
Registered

FALaholic #: 64363
Stoeger M3500 issue

Got a used M3500 for duck and sandhill crane duty. Having a random failure to fire issue. Hammer clicks, then nothing. When manually cycled, a live round ejects with no signs of a light strike or anything. Fired 60 or 70 shells today, happened twice. Two different shell types/lengths/manufacturers.

Has anybody here encountered and resolved this issue?

Last edited by ByrnieMac; April 12, 2019 at 21:16.
ByrnieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019, 18:33   #2
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrnieMac View Post
Got a used M3500 for duck and sandhill crane duty. Having a random failure to fire issue. Hammer clicks, then nothing. When manually cycled, a live round ejects with no signs of a light strike or anything. Fired 60 or 70 shells today, happened twice. Two different shell types/lengths/manufacturers.

Has anybody here encountered and resolved this issue?
What ammo are you using? I have an M3k that is 100% reliable, so wondering if your 3.5 is running low on recoil energy.

I smoothed all corners and cut spring ends before first range trip. Action is slick as frog snot.. if yours isnt that could be a first step.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019, 14:11   #3
karambay
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 8066
I haven't had that issue with mine. Only issue was the rubber O ring on the firing pin retaining pin, but Stoeger sent me several to replace the one that was torn.
karambay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019, 20:36   #4
ByrnieMac
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
What ammo are you using? I have an M3k that is 100% reliable, so wondering if your 3.5 is running low on recoil energy.

I smoothed all corners and cut spring ends before first range trip. Action is slick as frog snot.. if yours isnt that could be a first step.
First malfunction occured with 2 3/4 Federal target load. Second malfunction happened with Remington 3" non-toxic.

Recoil energy isn't the issue, it wasn't a failure to extract. It cycles the light 2 3/4 stuff just fine
Old April 14, 2019, 20:39   #5
ByrnieMac
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by karambay View Post
I haven't had that issue with mine. Only issue was the rubber O ring on the firing pin retaining pin, but Stoeger sent me several to replace the one that was torn.
I'll check the o-ring because I suspect the issue to be with the firing pin or hammer. Not really sure what else could possibly be the culprit.

My plan thus far is to get a higher power hammer spring. The previous owner claims to have used this as a goose gun for the last 4 seasons, and judging by the condition it arrived in, I believe him. I think the hammer spring may just be tired.

I am also considering just getting all new springs, from recoil to inertia inside the bolt body