The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old January 06, 2010, 10:50   #1
Jailguard
Registered

FALaholic #: 10331
Gerber Boot Knife

I see alot of you guys know quite a bit about Gerber Knives. I have a Gerber Boot Knife Nearest I can tell it is not part of the MK series or a guradian. The pomel more squared than the Mk series and the finger guards dont look like the guardian. I will post pictures of it later ( I am at work and those things are frowned upon here) The blade is black with a leather sheith with a boot type clip on it. It looks like this one but not in as good of shape.

http://www.pbase.com/mkrauss/image/93822943
Old January 06, 2010, 11:15   #2
olgier
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17951
So what exactly are you looking to find out?

They are not an expensive knife. local shop has one under $30.00 new if i remember right.
olgier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2010, 12:59   #3
Jailguard
Registered

if they are still made and a sorce to check the serial number
Old January 06, 2010, 16:30   #4
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
Gerber used to make one called the Mark I and the Command I that were shorter than a Mark II. The Command came with a 4+" blade and was only sharp on one side, but had a similiar handle. Some of them also had a serrated edge towards the TIP, not towards the back like the Mark II. Those models are no longer made.

If it is double edged with a black painted aluminum grip, less than 4 inch blade, and has a leather sheath with a snap like the picture you posted, it probably is a Guardian Model # 5801 or a 5804 (if it has a black blade). These were made from 1981-87 or thereabouts.

Also, the Guardian I and II had 4+" and 6+" blades respectively and had somewhat overlapping production dates with the Guardian but neoprene was used on all Guardian model grips after 1992 to now.

I had a buddy that loaned me an officer survival book one time that showed an officer carrying an old Guardian clipped inside his vest with the handle hidden behind the collar of his shirt. It was a hold out piece in case he was forced to put his hands behind his head. I always thought that would be a much better spot than a boot for a boot knife. Of course, vests fit a lot better than when I first played junior G man, so it may not be practical anymore.

The admin of this site may be able to help you positively ID the blade and give you a date based on serial:

Edited to add: FYI, Gerber is an evolutionary (not revolutionary) knife maker. You can trace bloodlines pretty easy with Gerbers and changes over time are often pretty small. However, I was not overly impressed with the neoprene grips on any of their knives.

Vintage Gerber - Guardians

Chet

Last edited by chet; January 06, 2010 at 16:47.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2010, 16:42   #5
Deltaten
Registered

FALaholic #: 124
Jailguard;

That appears to be a Gerber Mk I. Early Mk I's were 5 inch blades; later Gerber went to 4 3/4". If there is an "S" at the end of the sn , it's of stainless steel.

Somebody let me in on where ya find Mk I's at $30 !!! More knock-offs than can be counted! The "Guardian" is not the same knife as the Mk I

AFA the "Command" series?? Never have been able to suss out differentiation in the lists of types/serial numbers. Seems they would make up an order as it came in right from line production???
Old January 06, 2010, 17:03   #6
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
D-10,
I couldn't tell fo' so' by his description if it was an old Guardian or a Command. I think he used that pic for an example.

BTW, Jailguard, you may want to peek in here when you get off duty and have a chance to compare what you have to this Command:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=279211

Big Gerber love fest going on now here at the 'files. I foolishly sold my first Mk II shortly after I bought it at the Camp Hansen PX in Okinawa back in 93. Later, on a different deployment, I spied one on a buddy's deuce gear. He had wrapped the grip in 550 cord and I asked him what he wanted for it. He pointed to one of my Stubai 'biners!

Like the man said, "Sound like a good trade!"

Love that knife.

chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2010, 17:14   #7
olgier
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17951
Quote:
Originally posted by Deltaten
Jailguard;

That appears to be a Gerber Mk I. Early Mk I's were 5 inch blades; later Gerber went to 4 3/4". If there is an "S" at the end of the sn , it's of stainless steel.

Somebody let me in on where ya find Mk I's at $30 !!! More knock-offs than can be counted! The "Guardian" is not the same knife as the Mk I

AFA the "Command" series?? Never have been able to suss out differentiation in the lists of types/serial numbers. Seems they would make up an order as it came in right from line production???
Next time I stop by the shop I'll find out what 4" model the one they have is.

And when I stop by the other shop, I'll find out what the 6" camo gerber is and how much. (I'm thinking $60.00 would take it home off the top of my head)

probably won't be till saturday.
olgier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 07, 2010, 22:14   #8
Jailguard
Registered

Ok here is a Pic of it

the blade is 4 and 3/4 inch serial number is 044340
Old January 07, 2010, 22:49   #9
xcpd69
Registered

FALaholic #: 31
I have the earlier 5 inch blade MK I. Owned it since the mid 70's. A part of my daily wear in my right boot, back in the day. Serial 014xxx.
Old April 10, 2019, 01:17   #10
JessePinkman
Registered

FALaholic #: 81971
Hi, bro! I think it looks okay! Do you have any doubts? If you don't like it. You can pick one between Gerber Bear Grylls Pro Knife and Gerber LMF II Knife.
JessePinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 01:21   #11
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePinkman View Post
Hi, bro! I think it looks okay! Do you have any doubts? If you don't like it. You can pick one between Gerber Bear Grylls Pro Knife and Gerber LMF II Knife.
...... my friend Jailguard has probably figured it out in the NINE years since he made that post.....
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019, 05:00   #12
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I think it's nice. Seem to be expensive now though.
Old April 11, 2019, 01:40   #13
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
...... my friend Jailguard has probably figured it out in the NINE years since he made that post.....
Think this is a BS post made by a future spammer account - they seem to do stuff like this to make it look like they are actually trying to be topical, then selling penis enlargement pills or some other crap via links inserted in their future posts.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 04:53   #14
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
then selling penis enlargement pills
....yes I agree....but as long as he offers us a forum discount....
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:59   #15
JessePinkman
Registered

FALaholic #: 81971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
Haha, I forgot to see the time this post was posted.
JessePinkman is offline   Reply With Quote