The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old October 09, 2018, 17:18   #1
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Is Investing In Precious Metals A Smart Move For Survival?

Quote:
There are some common misconceptions associated with precious metals. Some mistakenly believe having gold or silver may not be helpful to their preparedness plan. When it comes to a SHTF scenario or potential economic collapse, they may think:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/peak...hp?f=3&t=35471
Old October 09, 2018, 17:28   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
If it gets rough and it would, which do you want in your hand, handful of 22LR or hand full of silver coins?
Old October 09, 2018, 17:30   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
If it gets rough and it would, which do you want in your hand, handful of 22LR or hand full of silver coins?
Knowing my luck they would use the ammo to come try to kill me later

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 17:47   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Knowing my luck they would use the ammo to come try to kill me later
Reflecting on that a bit It will be all in the timing. There will be folks that murder for gold and silver thinking that it will be the currency when we come out of the bad times. They will stockpile as much as they can just sure as hell the country will go back to gold after the crash. How will people react to those who have piles of rare metals?

Ammo will be good wumpum if society becomes civil if it doesn't become civil then ammo will still have its uses.
Old October 09, 2018, 17:54   #5
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
If things go like many predict then brass, copper and lead are will be considered precious metal.

Seriously silver might still have a little wiggle room
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 17:59   #6
Black Blade
Registered

After over 9,000 years of history silver and gold have always held value. If there's an EMP event then the new currency would be tangibles and if there's an economic collapse event then like before precious metals have always held value. The point isn't about zombies or any such crazy weird event but like the most likely events where after the event and rebuilding occurs such as a currency collapse then one's wealth is preserved where as those who saved their currency often found it to be worthless. Precious metals are just one level of the survival pyramid (financial survival).

Old October 09, 2018, 18:00   #7
Black Blade
Registered

As for "lead", yes have plenty of that too:

Just one of a number of stockpiles ...
Old October 09, 2018, 18:03   #8
Black Blade
Registered

Maybe the best one can do of course is to be debt free. I only buy what I can afford and only if I can pay it off immediately. All my properties I own (no mortgages) although my only real expenses are upkeep and property taxes. But if you have no debt then you are not a slave to the banksters and you save all that "interest" on repayment (like an instant market gain).
Old October 09, 2018, 18:16   #9
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Can't you stack dimes up in a 12 gauge smoke pole as payload?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 18:28   #10
Black Blade
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Can't you stack dimes up in a 12 gauge smoke pole as payload?
Old myth from the "dime novels" of the time that one of "Billy The Kid's" guards kept a load of dimes in his shotgun. But alas, just a fairy tale as it wouldn't be as nearly efficient as a load of 00 buck.
Old October 09, 2018, 22:23   #11
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
I must of missed the memo that says I cannot have both!
Old October 10, 2018, 00:19   #12
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
Precious metals have always historically had intristic value. I don't ever see it changing. Values go up and down. Man's greed never changes in the best or worst of times.
Raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 00:20   #13
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post

Huey is that you?

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 11:40   #14
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Quote:
What is wrong with a "diversified portfolio" ? I'm not seeing a downside.
Old October 10, 2018, 14:02   #15
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
What is wrong with a "diversified portfolio" ? I'm not seeing a downside.
Its all good, whatever you can swim the river with to get on the other side. How bad will it be? If you live somewhere that won't be hurt bad by a crash then anything you hoard will have a value. If money crashes will we still be in the same house when the country comes back? Will it even come back and who will be running it?

How old are you and how much time do you have left? Are you taking meds to stay alive and can you get them in a crash?

Maybe we won't have a worse case scenario and currency will just change, I don't know the future but survival is being ready. Funny thing is the older I get I really don't care so much.
Old October 10, 2018, 14:09   #16
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
Beginning Sept 1st of this year I had no precious metals because I was working on the beans/bullets thing. I decided to use the survival funds for Sept-Oct to buy silver. Nov 1st I'll go back to beans/bullets, mostly beans, but it is kinda nice to actually hold the shiny stuff in your hands.

”if the federal government treats the American public with this degree of contempt when we’re armed to the teeth, imagine how they would treat us if they had all our guns."
longhair51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 14:17   #17
Bawana jim
Registered

Just a point of view so we have a crash and you need something really bad and it's in real demand, say medicine. In a time of a crash and no laws exist how will people get what they need? If pms don't buy what you must have then what is the next step?

Oh and I own some silver and gold but just enough to run with.
Old October 10, 2018, 15:57   #18
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
Quote:
Just a point of view so we have a crash and you need something really bad and it's in real demand, say medicine. In a time of a crash and no laws exist how will people get what they need? If pms don't buy what you must have then what is the next step?

Oh and I own some silver and gold but just enough to run with.
I see your point and agree. If the proverbial balloon goes up, then a lot of folks are just gonna die regardless of what beans/bullets/meds they have. Unless I'm rich enough to have a missile silo and a personal security force with a doctor(I am not) my youngest daughter is gonna die within a short period of time, and not a damn thing I can do about it. I've seen self-described severe diabetics post on survival websites about how they are gonna survive SHTF. They and other severely impaired people, like my daughter, are gonna have a very rough time. Medicine will be like gold until it's efficacy is reduced to zero. My actual point is that I think you should prepare first for what you can do, not what you can't do. That's why I'm just now buying PM's after years of other preps. I can't manufacture meds for my daughter and I can't buy more than a small amount of scheduled drugs, legally, but I might be able to trade for them.

”if the federal government treats the American public with this degree of contempt when we’re armed to the teeth, imagine how they would treat us if they had all our guns."
longhair51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 17:08   #19
Bawana jim
Registered

For me since I have never lived through what may happen and haven't ever seen something like this anywhere it becomes by guess and by golly. If we only knew what to expect then it's easy to say do or don't buy pms. Sad fact is we live in fear of a collapse like we have never seen in all of history. How does a man look around himself and know he will survive what's comming?

He says to himself if only I have this or that and maybe a skill that's needed then I and my family have a chance for survival. You can have everything you need and still die, ask Mel Tappen.

Myself I am looking at this the same way when my life was threatened, I will do the best I can and leave it to god as to the outcome.

Edited to add, channel surfing and saw a talking head say toilet paper is the new gold in Venezuela but he wondered if that could even be true because they are starving.

Last edited by Bawana jim; October 10, 2018 at 19:26.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 12:57   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
If have multiple females in house toilet paper will be more important than silver or gold. Can open an eight roll pack, pit one roll with the partial in my bathroom and rest of pack in wife's bathroom (she uses mine as well) then before I run out she will ask me to bring another pack upstairs. Have no idea what all women use it for but sure can go through it. Friend has wife, daughter and two granddaughters living in his house and says he has to have regular truck load or the roll in his bathroom has disappeared when he needs it most. I try to keep enough but it's bulky and know it's not enough. When get down to a dozen right packs of Scott start watching for next sale plus have two sixteen roll packs in a Rubbermaid container wife doesn't know exists. There are other ways if have plenty of water or grow corn which we have water and neighbor grows corn.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 20:55   #21
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
We had this topic come up last week or so

If things fall apart here You can take gold , silver and platinum to another country and live

Can't do that with US currency a checkbook or a 401k
Old October 13, 2018, 21:10   #22
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Quote:
Can you eat, drink, or heat with precious metals?
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 21:28   #23
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:

Is that, 7.62x54R ammo in some of those cases?
Got heavy on Russian ammo, 39 and 54R when it was cheap and plentiful myself.
Last forever, works good.

We have a LOT in common, shop from same stores, picked up another 10 cases of chow just this week.

Still don't know how they do $3.00 total shipping on 10 heavy cases of chow, but damned happy they do.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018, 21:49   #24
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

This brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it.

Masses of ammo being tested for effect in fires.

Conclusion; Safe

https://www.range365.com/how-dangero...-in-house-fire

Old October 14, 2018, 05:34   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
We had this topic come up last week or so. If things fall apart here You can take gold, silver and platinum to another country and live. Can't do that with US currency a checkbook or a 401k
Most countries south of our border whether Mexico, Equidor, Peru, Bolivia and Patagonia which I have experience U.S. Federal Reserve Notes are king. Locals are so used to collapse of their monetary systems that they exchange all their pay for U.S. Dollars for long term saving. Always carry some local currency for haggling in markets and paying locals to take photographs (take photos of a group of women washing cloths in stream or sitting in field doing bead work and they all have a pile of rocks to throw at tourists that do not pay to take their pictures, men you pay with cigarettes) and all our taxi drivers, burro drivers, porters and cooks always worked cheaper for U.S. Dollars than local money as didn't have to pay the percentage money changers charge to convert local money to U.S. How much silver and gold you think your walking to El Salvador or Guatamaula with, second time you pay in precious metal locals will kill you and take it because if U.S. falls apart they probably fell apart same time if not first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
This brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it. Masses of ammo being tested for effect in fires.

Conclusion; Safe
Why I am a big fan of OSHA fire/explosion proof lockers. More to slow spead of a fire and if contents overheat to combustion contain them again slowing the fire from mo IMG quickly. Why I like lots of OSHA and steel lockers for e everything possible along with safes for paper and guns. Also have lots of automated Halon in high likelihood fire areas plus at least two handheld fire extinguishers in every room.

Notice fire extinguisher back of bench.

Notice extreme right of bench.

See chrome unit in floor at base of bench.

Above benchers mounted in suspended ceiling are a mix of automated Halon and Stat-X fire suppression units as well as over ammo lockers and safes. Soon as they detect heat indicating a fire they pop independently hopefully slowing it's spread and reducing its impact. Wife and I both have full firefighters turn out gear if decide it's worth fighting or need the protection to escape the structure. From Nomex balaclavas, gloves, sicks, underwear plus firefighters pants with suspenders, coats and helmets plus ax we each have a set upstairs and downstairs. In the above picture Yellowhand referenced just using steel ammo cans with latches designed to pop not van explode if build pressure is good. I just put my steel ammo cans in steel double wall explosion proof lockers best I can find them at fair prices and single wall steel otherwise with a big automatic Fireboy over each.

Fire is a person's biggest threat. Why live in masonry house with metal roof. Hard to start a fire that will run from outside. Inside we have enough fire fighting equipment to fight or escape. All drywall that's been replaced has fire resistant products replace it, while studs were exposed were treated with fire retardant chemical that soaks in and makes wood very hard to burn till reaches extreme temperature. May loose it all today but tried my best even locating home equidistant from two of the newest and largest fire stations in the county. We had a 4.5 minute response the one time wife called 911 over a smoking lamp her dad bought in China during WW2 and gave to her with its original wiring and she just had to plug it up. Now all our old lamps have seen a total rewire as F.D. explained to her as insulation on wire breaks down, gets a few cracks it becomes a big resistor wanting to create heat.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old October 14, 2018, 12:11   #26
Bawana jim
Registered

Just pondering and not saying anything as fact. If they crash the system and money becomes worthless I think there would be a wave of events that it will be about where you are and the timing of when events reach you.
Old October 14, 2018, 14:31   #27
Black Blade
Registered

Got a Dillon Progressive XL 650 with a number of dies I lent to my brother and nephews. I collect the brass and let them reload as I don't have time these days. Still a good 3 years or so from retirement and even then the wife has a long long "honey-do-list" for me. That alone may make me put off retirement a few years.
Old October 14, 2018, 14:58   #28
Bawana jim
Registered

If the country goes into a full panic I believe it will start with inflation first. The ptb if they decided to destroy us will drain everyone's bank accounts first with inflation just like Venezuela. So guess what the market will be for your pms, will you be able to use them as money? Heck I ain't smart enough to figure anything out so my only way to think about things is what would I take for what I have because what ever you sell you may not ever get it again.

We are all pretty much the same people so what will your neighbors sell you for your gold? Would they trust it to be real gold? At what point in the turmoil will people want a gold standard? My last question and I move on. When it all falls what government will be here running the country, China, Mexico, Russia or our own form of communism?
Old October 14, 2018, 17:45   #29
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
After over 9,000 years of history silver and gold have always held value. If there's an EMP event then the new currency would be tangibles and if there's an economic collapse event then like before precious metals have always held value. The point isn't about zombies or any such crazy weird event but like the most likely events where after the event and rebuilding occurs such as a currency collapse then one's wealth is preserved where as those who saved their currency often found it to be worthless. Precious metals are just one level of the survival pyramid (financial survival).
While sold 85% of my silver and gold during the huge peak a few years ago what I held back will be a decent start if it's needed in a rebuilding/bartering system. I sold all my 10 through 100 ounce silver bars, all my private mint and only kept one ounce and under U.S. Mint issued silver. Kept a supply of U.S. Silver Eagles in 20 count mint packaging along with a fair number of Kennedy dollars, Franklin half dollars and Mercury dimes. If trading "making change" will be difficult and why kept more Franklin Halves than any other as great trading size.

Sold all of my gold mint sets with the full range of sizes from 1/10th, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 ounce proof gold in display box plus any non U.S. Mint gold. Kept mostly 1/10th, 1/4 and 1/2 ounce units. Like a 100 ounce bar of silver most can't verify if real and will be few things need bricks to barter with.

Because of the huge number of Hispanics in our area and Hispanic gangs that will be survivers as being members of a Cartel Association will be dangerous to cross and greasing their palms if need would be great to be prepped for without providing them firearms or ammo they may use back against me. Have ten rolls of Mexican Mint one ounce silver rounds. Some of the most attractive silver coins have with their writing on edges to prove not been shaved, way hard to counterfeit also due to edge wording. Also have $500 value U.S. in Canadian and Mexican cash plus $250 value in Guatemalan, Equidorian and Peruvian in case we to migrate north or south. My plan is to bug in but a few bug out preps can't hurt and can always take it all to main branch of my local bank and get current market value in U.S. Dollars. Even have some Euros, Swiss Francs and other Euro currencies where wasn't enough when returned to take to bank and when travel again have a few local bucks in pocket when plane lands.

Quote:
If the country goes into a full panic I believe it will start with inflation first. The ptb if they decided to destroy us will drain everyone's bank accounts first with inflation just like Venezuela. So guess what the market will be for your pms, will you be able to use them as money? Heck I ain't smart enough to figure anything out so my only way to think about things is what would I take for what I have because what ever you sell you may not ever get it again.

We are all pretty much the same people so what will your neighbors sell you for your gold? Would they trust it to be real gold? At what point in the turmoil will people want a gold standard? My last question and I move on. When it all falls what government will be here running the country, China, Mexico, Russia or our own form of communism?
If we have a population cleansing during whatever disrupts our rule of government a lot of people will die. Am somewhat worried that will be so much jewelry in jewelry boxes, on corpses and hoards discovered as homes are looted precious metals will not be of huge value and so few people can value stones they will be worthless as most people can't tell synthetic from real diamonds.

Back when Georgia was raising money to replace to gold leaf on dome of the state capital they were selling commemorative gold coins as part of the money raising effort. They made them in 99% gold and in 24 karat gold plated. All the gold for the dome was mined in Dahlonega (one of only three really valuable numismatic coins still own is a Dahlonega Mint gold piece) and they made a big deal of a horse and mule drawn wagon train wandering around the state taking the gold to Atlanta. I did buy two of the real gold one ounce rounds but none of the plated. As the excitement and new wore off the coins in both pure gold and plated began filling pawn shops. The plated coins that originally sold for $25 (I think) suddenly were everywhere for $10 in their little packages with the tale of Dahlonega gold rush.

I even purchased a couple more of the pure gold as they hit pawn shops and every plated coin that could buy for $10 or less. Purchased 40 of them for $225 from one shop where man came in disgusted that his investment in fake non mint coins didn't take off in value. I have most in plastic sleeves so don't rub together and if hand a real gold and plated gold Dahlonega Commemorative in their hands nine out of ten have to guess which is real as can't tell them apart. I used to deal with three upper class pawn shops almost daily that didn't take VCR's, car stereo, televisions, microwaves, etc as most came with a roach infestation. They specialized in fine guns, nice jewelry, Rolex watches, pawned titles on 7 Series Beemers, etc. Bought wife an 11 karat diamond tennis bracelet from one set in 18k gold, paid $1,800 and the appraiser offered me $2,800 for it as had a client looking for a bracelet like it.

Purchased four of my Springfield SAR 48's from the same guy as well as over 25 to 30 other nice firearms. He had a lady bringing in 22K Saudi gold bangles fairly regularly and we're beautiful. She had an almost endless supply of Saudi gold jewelry. Once I bought all the old lady wanted quit on them and soon she was selling to the other two shops as well. All tested, even sent random samples in for melt and it was all perfect. Completely legit 22k Saudi gold and they hate gold leaving their country. Soon she was selling to every shop in town in small quantities saying had a big shipment coming. Suddenly she was in every shop with as much as they could handle, all acid tested perfectly and the three I used even broke one bangle at ramdom of the big lot in half to make sure we're not being scammed and tested with machines and acid. They were greedy, bought a lot as she was selling for 25% under spot if bought a minimum amount.

She had spent almost a year priming these people who were all high class professionals. Only one jewelry store out of everyone in town and pawn shop in town didn't buy into her 25% off spot if bought X total ounces as X was a big number and he smelled a fish. First ones I handled told store owner didn't ring as clear as the ones I had purchased wife 10 months earlier. Instead of a handful of bangles ringing and made contact with the others they clanged. My favorite vendor immediately sent 1/4 of his buy to a reclaimer on a RUSH to be told when came in tested as 22k gold but when melted turned into some kind of schmeg with just a fraction of real gold content and wasn't even 5k just slightly more gold than gold plated. Someone had come up with a new way to fool the acid test and machines.

Turns out had ladies selling real Saudi gold for almost a year in moderate size, wealthy markets (our county had more millionaires per capita than any county in Georgia at the time) and priming the pump coast to coast then suddenly literally a total of tons of the fake Saudi gold got dumped in course of a week and sellers had fallen off the plamet. Law enforcement told my buddy looked like a plot hatched out of the middle east and all their suspects had gotten on planes and flown back to countries withour extradition within days of the alert on the fake Saudi gold went out. My buddy was tapped for $25,000 and the two other shops I used bought more than he did. Estimates was this one lady passed over a half million in fake gold jewelry in a week. It didn't sound right or look right to me when retailers were showing me their new hoards as all called offering deals on gold before they had it melted. I went home and got five of the bangles bought for wife, they were same size and general style as the fakes but weighed half per piece as were very thin. Color was a tad off and ring was not true. It broke a few shops and hurt many bad.

All I had bought for wife while they were priming pump was perfect and she still loves them when wears jewelry as the color is so true and they sound like music as they hit each other when she moves her arm. Have seen a lot of reproduction coins, fakes, 10k (anything under 14k is not gold as has more alloy material than gold), 12k, 14k, 18k (most of our gold jewelry is 18k for nice color and enough strength doesn't break too easily and use 14k clasps if needs them as 18k clasp breaks too easily and have some 22k. I have five boxes of Swift 23k gold leaf left at work. When Swift's (U.S. gold leaf company back to the revolution) owners kids decided did not want to continue making leaf and told the elder didn't want it he closed the company. Gave us long time customers (I lay a lot of gold leaf and Swift is my favorite) a one year notice and I ordered a dozen boxes to put back. Use whatever current leaf can find on most projects but use the Swift on personal items and for clients willing to pay a 30% premium over current leaf prices. I can lay leaf on a lead ingot and until someone gouges it will not tell it from a gold bar.

Can pour a 100 ounce bar with 1/2 of it lead and unless drill the block in correct spot all the material that comes out would be silver. If drilled where put the lead would be busted and claim ignorance if were a criminal type. Would not even be hard to counterfeit the Englehard mark and serial number on a big block. 100 sealed package one ounce Englehard rectangles would be hard to fake as is U.S. Mint if buyer knows his stuff. Have seen a lot of professionals scammed, especially buying commemorative and private mint bullion. Saw a bunch or one ounce squares with image of a miner stamped and something to do with Colorado Silver once going around that were all fakes. When SHTF I will be using silver and gold if need to barter but believe when all the jewelry boxes and safes of the dead are pilfered it won't be worth near what copper jacketed lead in a brass case will be worth. When sold my bulk off at top of market paid medical bills and bought ammo with the cash. I won't ever be buying bulk again unless dips to $15 or below for silver. It's value is $22 which is cost to mine and refine at present or last I heard, with plenty of cheap fuel and more open mining lands it could be down from that.

Ammo, guns, ammo, food, medicine, ammo, guns, ammo, food, ammo, fuel, armor, night vision, ammo, precious metals, ammo, guns, more medicine, etc is about the importance of hoarding materials along with toilet paper everywhere food and medicine are mentioned. A 100 to 200 ounces of one ounce non U.S. Mint silver will be good for sinkers when you go fishing and melting into bullets. I have alloyed up some fine silver bullets in the past and have one 18k gold 45 acp 200 grain SWC somewhere from playing around when was seriously into making jewelry. Had my own faceting machine and we had a vein of facet grade emerald in western NC alone with all the amithest, garnet and sapphire could use. Was easier to find than gold in Dahlonega without getting shot.
Old October 15, 2018, 09:17   #30
Bawana jim
Registered

I was going to move on until I watched a show last night on Fox News with Mark Levin. He had a guest on that told the future and had a lot of info I have never heard. Try to get last night's show because he covered "the new gold" and how our entire monatary system is just about to change as we know it. A huge group has been working on it for 11 years and are near completion.

It's a really big deal comming, life changing and you should look it up.

I found it for you...

https://youtu.be/O1S3-MG_nLg

Last edited by Bawana jim; October 15, 2018 at 09:52.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018, 14:07   #31
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Wow. I have absolutely nothing like you guys pictured. Like Barney Fife,I got maybe one or two rounds laying around,that's about it..
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018, 15:15   #32
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Wow. I have absolutely nothing like you guys pictured. Like Barney Fife,I got maybe one or two rounds laying around,that's about it..
Some how, that just does not ring true!

Old October 15, 2018, 17:45   #33
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Me too...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018, 17:58   #34
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I literally have zip compared to back in the day. All of my vaults were "paved" with a layer of 100 ounce bricks like a brick paver patio. When market peaked having to empty the vaults to get to the silver sucked but sold every last brick. Have two sources, one that does small amounts out of his truck up to 100 ounces of silver and 12 ounces of gold usually U.S. Mint fractional sizes and sells for 5% over spot and buys at 5% under and never hoards. Thus he is always turning 10% with no overhead and makes a good living off the books.

My other vendor is the "largest jewelry store in Georgia" and done business with them since owners dad had just a decent pawn shop near my business. The son carried it to the big leagues and has stores all over the southeast. For most he buys at 10% under and sells at 10% over spot but I 5% as he knows I can funnel it slowly at that through my other "guy" plus we have done a lot of business over 37 years. Whenever brings in a large "estate buy" gives me a call as only buy older jewelry for my ol lady. Also have a jewelry store in Dahlonega where we buy estate pieces and have custom stuff made.

My ex-wife liked new bling that wasn't "used". Her engagement ring was a round brilliant GIA 1.15k D color, VVS/IF borderline clarity, Ideal Cut set in 18k gold with simple six prong mount to secure it but basically all you saw was stone. She was so ignorant saw a 2.xK marquee cut at Zales in mall and wanted to trade it because her mom had a marquee and was same price told her paid for the 1K round brilliant. Told her the Zales stone if had a GIA report (they didn't) would be more like an H in color, VS clarity and Good cut making it worth at best 1/2 of what was on her hand even though twice the size. Every nice piece I brought in from an estate or pawn shop she refused so finally found a custom jewler that would make the gawdy stuff she liked.

The ol lady told me to take back the 1.25K round brilliant, H color, VVS, Ideal cut offered her as wanted to use her "Grammies" engagement ring which is a near perfect 5/8k round brilliant set in platinum. She hates mall jewelry and hates the mall in general. In 26 years she has been to mall twice. She loves the nice pawn shop and estate finds I drag in and especially the stuff I bring her from trips. Every trip to Peru, Bolivia, western U.S. take without her bring back a trinket. Store in Jackson Hole MT has always had some of the best opals ever seen and I love emeralds and opals if nice. Like my gun collection we could live out a decent retirement on her jewelry boxes and she only wears it when I am with her as feels it makes her a target. She went five years before wore the 11k tennis bracelet and had to fuss to get her to wear it. She has a very rich sister who is a Washington DC lobbyist and thinks we are poor because choose to live in a small house built like Ft Knox. One Christmas got her to wear the bracelet and loaded her down with emeralds and opals which blew her sisters mind. Asked how long she had had, why never seen it and when told her what was wearing was tip of the iceberg she was jealous for second time in their adult lives.

Bullion means little to me now. Our money is no longer on the gold standard and they keep printing more every day. Really is nothing but wallet size photos of dead Presidents. Bitcoin is amazing. I still don't really understand it but because am a geek and real early when Kevin Mitnick and some other super geeks were blogging about it invested a small amount into it and am stunned at its value, ease to secure and transfer plus even the Ferrari dealership takes it. Good as my Black Card. So many people want to run under the radar, hide assets, be secretive and avoid taxes. My CPA's and fax attorney give the government every penny their entitled but no more. Been audited over two dozen times if count Sales & Use Tax, Workman's Comp/Overtime from Dept of Labor, etc at work plus Federal and State IRS. Have survived five Federal audits and three we came out with 100% balance in agreement, other two years got a $184 refund then another $5 refund after the audits. That is spot on, Jesus said "render into Ceasaer" as he asked who's picture was on the money. We pay every dime we are supposed to and as a friend told me once "it costs money to live in the greatest country in the world". When local F.D. was in door of house 4.5 minutes after wife called 911 because of a smoking lamp her dad gave her that set an outlet on fire knew my county taxes were justified as they saved the Ponderosa. When deer ran out in front of my motorcycle and found myself laying in ditch with a tib/fib dual compound spiral fracture and paramedics showed up in under five minutes and were pushing morphine inside of a minute then loaded my @$$ on the wagon, got a port started and dumped morphine two more times on way to the emergency room again my local taxes were money well spent. I want the cops and F.D. to have best equipment on the planet when coming go extract my dumb @$$.

Since hiding it means you throw flags if you spend it I play by the rules. If society breaks down have enough copper jacketed lead and firearms that a little silver and gold won't be a game changer. If society stays glued together can sell off the business some day, wife is already talking about reducing the fleet of Harleys now that prices are easing back up. Will keep at least two till we die even if just use for furniture and has spoke of selling some jewelry though I have been able to talk her down. I did sell too many guns first bout with cancer so now if mention might sell a gun or ten she talks me out of it. We have more than we need or deserve, God has made us stewards over a fair amount of His stuff and we are close to cutting all our heirs out of the wills and leave all but the guns to The Gideons to keep putting Bibles in hotel rooms and around the world in over 200 countries and 90 languages. In the end I have done all I can to prep and figure God has what I missed covered. Hoarding a few more pieces of silver might land me in the potters field with Judas.
Old October 15, 2018, 18:10   #35
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Began buying gold in 1971, while in Germany, walk into a German bank, lay down D marks, carry out gold coins,,,,,,,,,, sold it all in 1980.

Life was VERY good back then IF one was not sitting inside this country and had an abundance of D marks to be rid of.

Old Yesterday, 07:26   #36
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I was a junior in high school in 1980. Collecting enough wheel weights to feed my 1911's and wheel guns was the extent of my metal hoarding.
Old Yesterday, 09:32   #37
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
Precious Metals are a great way to preserve wealth if things go to pot.

It's just another part of your portfolio. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Old Yesterday, 10:52   #38
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
... if things "go to pot" with an expectation of:

a) return to normalcy in the near future, or

b) it's a regional failure and someone on the "outside" needs/wants that gold

If it is worldwide cataclysm (whatever that means to each individual...), then gold will be much less interesting than that other list of things, like:

food
water
shelter
firearms & ammo
seeds
fertilizer
fencing
antibiotics
generator
ice
etc.

So if we're talking about preserving wealth from place to place or from generation to generation, gold is good. If we're talking about survival, not so much. JMHO
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:12   #39
Bawana jim
Registered

With the net down knowledge becomes the real gold. How to books would have real value.
Old Yesterday, 13:05   #40
Black Blade
Registered

Silver and Gold are good for "financial survival" as it's only one part of survival. There's also guns and ammo, food, water, shelter, self sufficiency, etc. Funny how some people think it's an "all or nothing" proposition.

I also have the food covered:

Some longer term freeze-dried:

And supplemented with protein from around the cabin:

Old Yesterday, 13:28   #41
smoky
Registered

FALaholic #: 68367
Some of you are right on. You need to do everything you can to protect your family and loved ones. You don't have gold and silver to make money (it may) you have it (lots off it) just in case that is all that is of value. Guns and ammo. are a must, you can't have too much. Food, water TP and med. supplies are also a must have. Where you live will make a difference as to what you need to stock. Being debt free,(house, and everything ) is a priority. Make sure you are.
All we can do is look ahead and try to prepare as much as we can. Look at the hurricanes, twisters, floods, fire , that happen every year in the same places and people still don't prepare for it.
Do what you can and the most important is to PRAY and Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and listen to what He tells you.
smoky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:03   #42
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I was a junior in high school in 1980. Collecting enough wheel weights to feed my 1911's and wheel guns was the extent of my metal hoarding.

1970/80, many of GI's were in West Germany, doing that cold war thingy, by day, then making enough money to feed their families by night in the Black market.

Cigs, alcohol, meat, butter, cheese, anything GI's could buy cheap and sell high to local people avoiding VAT taxes.

Paid in D marks or pounds, then just learning to get around currency restrictions, import issues with coins/cash, was a real challenge.

Dmarks/pounds into gold coins, getting coins to the states, still illegal to own at the time, sell to coin dealers on the QT, then dealing with cash issues above your taxable income.

It was fun!
I'm told.

Good skills to have when all goes ten toes up anywhere.

Trust no one, always have an escape plan, never go into a deal alone, have back up, suspect everyone being a snitch or looking to rip you off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a long list to learn to manage working in the dark world of supply and demand.

Old Yesterday, 14:36   #43
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post

1970/80, many of GI's were in West Germany, doing that cold war thingy, by day, then making enough money to feed their families by night in the Black market.

Cigs, alcohol, meat, butter, cheese, anything GI's could buy cheap and sell high to local people avoiding VAT taxes.

Paid in D marks or pounds, then just learning to get around currency restrictions, import issues with coins/cash, was a real challenge.

Dmarks/pounds into gold coins, getting coins to the states, still illegal to own at the time, sell to coin dealers on the QT, then dealing with cash issues above your taxable income.

It was fun!
I'm told.

Good skills to have when all goes ten toes up anywhere.

Trust no one, always have an escape plan, never go into a deal alone, have back up, suspect everyone being a snitch or looking to rip you off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a long list to learn to manage working in the dark world of supply and demand.
Ran my own shop for the last 15 years. Dealing with people is key. Learn how to read the eyes(the eyes tell). People look down and to the left when they are dishonest. You can train yourself to look upward instead of down and to the left when interrogated. I leads people to believe you are thinking not decieving. You can stockpile but if things really go belly up I believe people will form clans. All of nature is a dominance hierarchy. Man is not a solitary creature.
Raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:54   #44
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedwhole! View Post
Ran my own shop for the last 15 years. Dealing with people is key. Learn how to read the eyes(the eyes tell). People look down and to the left when they are dishonest. You can train yourself to look upward instead of down and to the left when interrogated. I leads people to believe you are thinking not decieving. You can stockpile but if things really go belly up I believe people will form clans. All of nature is a dominance hierarchy. Man is not a solitary creature.
Yea, assholes in peacetime, will be an extra special asshole to deal with in any situation when things are bad, reading people quickly and properly is key to survival.

I heard a fellow say once, he'd never trust a Muslim trauma surgeon, would go without, if that was his only choice in a survival situation.

Peoples ingrained prejudices will cause a lot of people to die.