The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old November 19, 2012, 16:01   #1
Hot-fal
Registered

FALaholic #: 67571
Poly-tech M-14

Whom can provide info on the Poly-tech rifle with the complete flashhider on the barrel? It is welded in place, it has the complete casting, minus the slots are not cut? I know the early imports had the barrels cut at the fh.. I just read here about some side marked and other marks on them.The rifle shoots very well, the stock is not pretty, there is not much wear, to show any usage...
Hot-fal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 17:33   #2
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Check the headspace - the bolts are soft on a lot of them.
I've never seen one with a welded dummy FH, mine was affixed in normal fashion and replaced by a NOS USGI NM unit back when they were common and inexpensive.

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 18:39   #3
nearnuf
Registered

FALaholic #: 19741
I picked up a used Poly M-14S a few years back from a LGS. Mine sounds about like yours... side marked, same ugly wood stock, and fake flash hider. Mine had a really light weld and was very easy to remove. Just backed out the set screw, loosened the castle nut and hit the "flash supressor" with a hammer and wood block...loosen nut and repeat. It did no not take much force at all to break it loose. I have had no headspace issues and the Poly has a forged receiver vs. the cast receivers on my Springfields although there have been no issues with them either.

I hope that you enjoy Poly!

Nearnuf
nearnuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 10:11   #4
Hot-fal
Registered

FALaholic #: 67571
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnuf View Post
I picked up a used Poly M-14S a few years back from a LGS. Mine sounds about like yours... side marked, same ugly wood stock, and fake flash hider. Mine had a really light weld and was very easy to remove. Just backed out the set screw, loosened the castle nut and hit the "flash supressor" with a hammer and wood block...loosen nut and repeat. It did no not take much force at all to break it loose. I have had no headspace issues and the Poly has a forged receiver vs. the cast receivers on my Springfields although there have been no issues with them either.

I hope that you enjoy Poly!

Nearnuf
Thanks, Mine came from a divorce sale. Nearly new with bayonet. I cannot detect any softness. it fires like my old service rifle, a lot like my Fal, except lighter..The wood is butt ugly. Was the Fh threaded the proper direction??That little weld is tempting me, a lot..I guess I should watch for the wheel issue mentioned here.
Hot-fal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 11:00   #5
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-fal View Post
Was the Fh threaded the proper direction??
As I recall, you need to re-use your Chinese nut but a USGI flash hider FSB fits right on. I did my Poly but on my Norinco did away with the whole shebang and shortened the barrel and installed a gas-block (I think that is what it is called) front sight from Marstar in Canada.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 12:10   #6
WTAnderson
Registered

FALaholic #: 67164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
As I recall, you need to re-use your Chinese nut but a USGI flash hider FSB fits right on.
This^^^. Also the set screw that locks the "Castle Nut" is slightly different and VERY soft. I reused mine, but the hex hole(?) wallowed out after the second removal. Just cut a slot for screwdriver w/Dremel cut-off wheel. YMMV
WTAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 18:25   #7
Marksman1
Registered

FALaholic #: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-fal View Post
Whom can provide info on the Poly-tech rifle with the complete flashhider on the barrel? It is welded in place, it has the complete casting, minus the slots are not cut? I know the early imports had the barrels cut at the fh.. I just read here about some side marked and other marks on them.The rifle shoots very well, the stock is not pretty, there is not much wear, to show any usage...
Where're you from friend originally?

I have never seen a Polytech with a welded, fake flash hider.

As stated before, some had soft bolts that would open the headspace after many firings.

My polytech actually lost the wheel from the bolt during a range outing. I didn't notice until I field stripped it for cleaning. Have to check headspace with gauges periodically to insure it is still safe to fire.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles"

Jeff Cooper-The Art of The Rifle.
Marksman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 18:37   #8
Topbanana
Registered

FALaholic #: 20443
I have seen the Poly's with the welded ban era FH. They do exist.