The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old April 18, 2019, 23:02   #1
Snayperskaya
Registered

FALaholic #: 74488
What'd I buy here?

Attended knob creek recently and stopped by the DSA tent. I went to inquire about a run of l1a1 recievers (upcoming ausie run, no brit cut) and while I was there I noticed a new in bag stripped l1a1 barrel. Priced at a nice dinner and a couple glasses of wine so I jumped at it. Thought it would be a great way to resurrect my century neutered sporter.

In my haste to squirrel it away and see the show I neglected to ask about the barrel's provenance. It's full length, threaded and cut for a key but there's no gas port drilled. It also seems like a semi phosphate finish. Did DSA make US barrels? Did I buy some tool room proof of concept? With absolutely zero markings on it I got nothing to go on. You guys have any clue? Thanks in advance.

L1a1 barrel

https://imgur.com/gallery/KieWQRa
Snayperskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019, 04:37   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
DSA previously sold bare-ass (no gas port) metric barrels.

I vaguely recall they also sold bare-ass inch-pattern barrels.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019, 05:54   #3
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
DSA sold these barrels about 10 years ago for $90 each as the front sling swivel stop was milled incorrectly and at 9 o'clock versus the correct 12 o'clock position. You're barrel may be correct.
I believe the Australian and British swivels did not have stops so it doesn't matter. However the Canadian swivel does have a stop pivet so it would have to be grounded off if you use this barrel for a build.
Besides drilling the gas port, the gas block and hand guard cross pin channels wouls also need to be cut.
It is an excellent barrel for the money.

Last edited by DakTo; April 19, 2019 at 16:37.
DakTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019, 14:10   #4
Snayperskaya
Registered

FALaholic #: 74488
Awesome! Looks like I've got a solution for my sporter. Appreciate the info fellas. They must've found this one in the back of the warehouse Sarco style.
Snayperskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2019, 07:10   #5
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
I believe the Australian and British swivels did not have stops so it doesn't matter.

The Aussie sling swivel bands do have the stop. The Brit does not have the stop but has “wings”.
jam762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2019, 07:37   #6
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
DSA sold these barrels about 10 years ago for $90 each as the front sling swivel stop was milled incorrectly and at 9 o'clock versus the correct 12 o'clock position. You're barrel may be correct.
I believe the Australian and British swivels did not have stops so it doesn't matter. However the Canadian swivel does have a stop pivet so it would have to be grounded off if you use this barrel for a build.
Besides drilling the gas port, the gas block and hand guard cross pin channels wouls also need to be cut.
It is an excellent barrel for the money.

Canuks and Aussies use the same type of swivel and notch.... identical. Another reason why Aussie barrels make an excellent candidate for C1/C1A1 builds (though, for some reason, many wanting to build a clone mistakenly believes that only the 8L gas blocked barrel would be correct).