The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reviews - products, services, and sellers

Notices

Old April 15, 2019, 00:26   #1
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
We shot up a lightweight poly armor plate

Brand = BulletProof-It
Model = 3610
Purchase date = 08/14 - so we are within 4 months of the 5-year warranty period. Time to find out if the Level III plate (NIJ) could actually stop M855 as they claim
Specs =

4 lbs. on 10x12 (large)
neutrally buoyant
ceramic + spectra matrix

How we shot it:

M855 62 gr. Green tip
M193 55 gr. ball
Hornady Superformance 77 gr. HPBT
M80 7.62x51mm 147 gr. ball

Distance: 15 yards

Guns:

AR-15 w/ 20" barrel - so (nearly) full velocity developed in the .223 rounds
FAL w 21" barrel

We shot the thing to failure. Most important piece is that the lightweight (~4 lb.) stand alone plate stopped multi-hit threats including M855 from 15 yards. I'm super happy with this purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJYCakTtQ7I
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 02:26   #2
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Thanks for posting.

When you say you shot it to failure, how many rounds and what type 223/308 did it take to get one thru the plate???

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 02:35   #3
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Interesting video. Nice safe gun handling from you all. Kudos. I wonder how it would do against a 162 gr. Black Tip AP bullet from the WW2 era.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 02:43   #4
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Good test, thanks for posting!

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 03:58   #5
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post
Good test, thanks for posting!
^^^THIS^^^
Old April 15, 2019, 07:24   #6
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Excellent ! Thanks, guys

BUT........Tuscan Raider, "I defer to Brunop because I don't like FALS"
I leave it to the board to determine the appropriate punishment for this blasphemy

Thanks again, guys

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 09:21   #7
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Cool test...

Thanks...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 09:33   #8
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Nice work guys! I enjoyed the test.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 09:37   #9
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Thanks for posting.

When you say you shot it to failure, how many rounds and what type 223/308 did it take to get one thru the plate???

I've seen lots of tests where guys are careful to put "multi-hit" test shots in different parts of the plate. We didn't do this, but stacked rounds into the same area - all on the centerline and roughly in the middle of the plate.

1. First shot = M855 from 20" barrel. Shot landed centerline about three inches from bottom of plate.

2. Second shot landed about 1.25" above it. That was M193 from the same gun.

3. Third shot landed about 1" above that (all centerline hits, and now shots were landing in the heavily damaged plate structure). That was Hornady 77 gr. Superformance (2850fps HPBT).

4. Fourth shot was M80 ball (147 gr.) from the FAL w 21" barrel. Landed in the centerline, and about 1.5" above the last.

All shots were stopped by this lightweight plate. Distance of 15 yards.

5. Fifth shot was M80 ball from same gun. It went whistling right through the plate, the paper, the 3/4" plywood, and into the hill. Shot from ~10 yards.

6. Then we grabbed a 9mm handgun (Sig 320) and put 10 rounds from 5 yards right in the damaged area. Nothing got through = stopped them all.

7. Then we shot it with the FAL again, and that round (as you would expect) went right through the plate. It was completely done at that point.

I'm impressed because NIJ Level III isn't supposed to stop M855, and this did. I'm impressed because the lightweight plate handled 4 rifle rounds up close and in the same part of the plate. I wouldn't want to get shot while wearing it, but I'm guessing it's a lot better than getting shot without one...
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago

Last edited by brunop; April 15, 2019 at 10:08.
Old April 15, 2019, 09:59   #10
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Excellent ! Thanks, guys

I leave it to the board to determine the appropriate punishment for this blasphemy

Thanks again, guys

If you noticed, the FAL was as big as he was.....!!!!!

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 10:01   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
well done.
Old April 15, 2019, 10:16   #12
Vorpal_weapon
Registered

FALaholic #: 17016
Thanks!

I've been considering a 3610 direct from Hesco. Impressive for such a light plate to stop M855.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

NRA Life Member
Vorpal_weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 10:46   #13
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
Excellent ! Thanks, guys

Thanks again, guys
Lol. If you've only seen what I've seen.

Shooting stuff is fun no matter what you use.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 12:39   #14
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Like the FAL Match t-shirt , it's like subliminal advertising.

Great vid guys !
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 14:06   #15
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
I've seen lots of tests where guys are careful to put "multi-hit" test shots in different parts of the plate. We didn't do this, but stacked rounds into the same area - all on the centerline and roughly in the middle of the plate.

1. First shot = M855 from 20" barrel. Shot landed centerline about three inches from bottom of plate.

2. Second shot landed about 1.25" above it. That was M193 from the same gun.

3. Third shot landed about 1" above that (all centerline hits, and now shots were landing in the heavily damaged plate structure). That was Hornady 77 gr. Superformance (2850fps HPBT).

4. Fourth shot was M80 ball (147 gr.) from the FAL w 21" barrel. Landed in the centerline, and about 1.5" above the last.

All shots were stopped by this lightweight plate. Distance of 15 yards.

5. Fifth shot was M80 ball from same gun. It went whistling right through the plate, the paper, the 3/4" plywood, and into the hill. Shot from ~10 yards.

6. Then we grabbed a 9mm handgun (Sig 320) and put 10 rounds from 5 yards right in the damaged area. Nothing got through = stopped them all.

7. Then we shot it with the FAL again, and that round (as you would expect) went right through the plate. It was completely done at that point.

I'm impressed because NIJ Level III isn't supposed to stop M855, and this did. I'm impressed because the lightweight plate handled 4 rifle rounds up close and in the same part of the plate. I wouldn't want to get shot while wearing it, but I'm guessing it's a lot better than getting shot without one...
Wow!
That is impressive.
Thanks again for doing this.
Very well done.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 16:04   #16
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
Lol. If you've only seen what I've seen.

Shooting stuff is fun no matter what you use.
1) We're waiting
2) Quite right

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 17:08   #17
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Great vid. Been checking out armor. Man those LW plates are expensive.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 18:18   #18
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Agreed with ^ this. But the truth is that I've just crossed 50 years, and I think it is easier to spend the money and carry 1/2 the weight than it is to get twice as strong and carry 18 pounds.

My (skinny) plate carrier + level IV ceramics weighs almost 20 pounds. That makes my pack need to weigh 25 instead of 45 pounds - so that is worth something.
Old April 15, 2019, 18:23   #19
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal_weapon View Post
Thanks!

I've been considering a 3610 direct from Hesco. Impressive for such a light plate to stop M855.
You should get that from Jeff Meining at BulletProof-It.com - he's a straight shooter, a vet (possible medical retirement, but I can't remember...), and a nice guy. I don't have anything to do with them - I've just been really impressed with the comms, the customer service, and the product.
Old April 15, 2019, 19:20   #20
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
1) We're waiting
2) Quite right
Come to a Washington or Oregon shoot.

You'll see.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old April 15, 2019, 20:26   #21
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Come to a Washington or Oregon shoot.

You'll see.
No vid of you guys shooting the soft jacket you had at Brushes?

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 21:16   #22
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
No vid of you guys shooting the soft jacket you had at Brushes?
You talking about the flak jacket?

Those things are worthless, but it was fun to shoot.

.380 went straight through.

Ghandi

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old April 16, 2019, 02:30   #23
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Excellent ! Thanks, guys

Thanks again, guys
5 hail John Moses' and 10 hail Saives with a promise to never blaspheme the great rifal again

Old April 16, 2019, 09:03   #24
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post
5 hail John Moses' and 10 hail Saives with a promise to never blaspheme the great rifal again
Does an FN pistol make up for 5 Hail Saives?

Ghandi

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old April 16, 2019, 09:52   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Interesting video. Nice safe gun handling from you all. Kudos. I wonder how it would do against a 162 gr. Black Tip AP bullet from the WW2 era.
Because of new neighbor who uses a Remington 742 in 30-06 for home defense, ground hogs, deer hunting in back yard, shooting snakes and even squirrel I started thinking about all my level 3 and 3+ kits. Add in if SHTF half the unprepared will be using their deer rifles for aggressive actions swapped all my primary kits to Level 3/ICW 4 and Level 4 stand alone lightweight plates. There will be more high power turn bolts being used that 7.62 battle rifles loaded with milspec ball.

All my kits have at least one or two mags of M855A1 or M80A1 now just for event face intruders with rifle armor. Am now finding Level 4 inexpensive enough and lightweight enough to justify the swap. Have a pile of spare Level 3 lightweight kits piled in basement just in case need extra now. Ammunition development is moving so fast that I feel Level 3 plates are minimum and I don't like to be operating at minimum standards.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019, 12:44   #26
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Does an FN pistol make up for 5 Hail Saives?

Old April 18, 2019, 21:10   #27
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
How do these handle high velocity stuff? 22-250, swift, light 243? Any scraps big enough for a test?

AR500 doesn't like velocity.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019, 22:44   #28
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbug View Post
How do these handle high velocity stuff? 22-250, swift, light 243? Any scraps big enough for a test?

AR500 doesn't like velocity.
It wasn’t AR 500 and no armor likes speed.

Ghandi

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old April 19, 2019, 09:50   #29
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Quote:
It wasn’t AR 500 and no armor likes speed.
I recognize it wasn't ar500, that is why I asked.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2019, 07:39   #30
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
thanks for documenting the test.