Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old May 06, 2019, 20:58   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Tactical Innovations

Have never used these people's parts but found them and read a lot of good reviews. They have a stainless steel version and adjustable V Block designed to reduce barrel sag. Ordered their receiver, competition bolt, charging handle, magazines but using Kidd and Volquartzen parts for rest. Like the hole in back of receiver so can clean barrel from rear without losing zero removing barrel.

Has a removable plug which after removing trigger group and bolt allows cleaning barrel from rear. Already have a half dozen custom and semi custom 10/22's that will be finding their way to the mill and have this mod done. Tap hole for plug to keep dirt out and oil in when shooting and it's a darn fine idea.

They use an adjustable V Block to adjust out any alignment issues with barrel and receiver.

Quote:
TI25™ ADVANCED COMPOSITE ADJUSTABLE STEEL LIP MAGAZINE FOR RUGER® 10/22®
You asked... We Listened! Customer after customer have continued to tell us how much they love the ability to adjust their TI25 mags to exactly fit their gun as well as the ability to take the mag apart to clean it. Our advanced composite 25 round Ruger 10/22 high capacity magazine is easy on your budget and big on the same features that have already made our*MACHINED ALUMINUM TI25 MAGS*the industry standard! Check out the features that only this magazine offers and you'll see why TI25 mags are an easy choice for serious shooters!

they have 10/22 receivers that use a charging handle system similar to AR 15 and another that has charging handle on left side. They have so many different products feel a burst of 10/22 builds on the horizon just to see if any have a distinct advantage in ergonomics or ease of accurate builds. If determine a specific receiver is much better than some of what I have been using will soon be swapping more than one receiver. Unsure if they can outdo Kidd and Volquartzen for most internal parts but will test a few.

Their triggers use Ruger BX25 internals and it's too much plastic for me. They do have a fairly priced machined aluminum trigger housing am going to use for a fire control system build and see how it works. Dislike the sloppy machine work of older Ruger aluminum trigger housings and don't like plastic so may use a mix of Ruger, Kidd and Volquartzen parts in one of their trigger housings and see if I can build a reasonably priced and reliable 1.5 pound 10/22 trigger. 1.75 pounds is least I have built that were reliable though not as nice as a Volquartsen TG2000 10/22 Trigger, Power Custom Grand Master and similar but pushing $275 bucks for a drop in 10/22 trigger will build them.

Vendor on Flea bay is selling a $149 trigger called the Hornet, is guaranteed 2.25 pounds perfect and give a $33 rebate if send in your old trigger group. Tells me they have an upgrade similar to my bargain upgrade for factory triggers but would not buy the parts, hand tune and sit all day doing them for $149 as without a pile of factory Ruger triggers to build on I don't see a lot of profit especially when refund $33 for buyers factory trigger. If pilfer through a pile of BX25's at LGS will find a better than average BX25 for $60. Not endorsing anyone's parts just that after finishing two fresh builds and about to do another pair since found a hoard of parts figured would see if could open a discussion and see if we have any other fly weight rifle builders running loose?
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat

Last edited by hueyville; May 06, 2019 at 21:06.
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2019, 22:11   #2
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Small world. These guys do great work and are really nice people to deal with.
The factory is here in Bonners Ferry Idaho. Pretty much the last city before Canada. Not exactly a hub of industry.
Old May 07, 2019, 04:22   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I do business with a router bit and end mill company in Lolo Montanna who makes custom bits to my specs. Also done business with Cascade Rescue Company in Sandpoint Idaho. Wife and I were driving from Georgia to Banff and had 29" of snow fall on top of a record amount a few days earlier and then 27" the next day so spent almost a week stuck in Sandpoint ID waiting for roads to clear.

While skiing a local area to keep from being bored (not very steep plus lots of fresh snow meant had to turn the really long floaters) and met some guys testing rescue litters. Ended up recommending some of their equipment to some groups volunteered with in Colorado and caving rescue folks here in the Southeast. If there is a next time may need to get snowed in a little farther north and play with guns as they can't be too far from 2/95 coming north into Canada.

Not many roads that cross into good Canadian ski areas that we have not used. That trip through Sandpoint where we were stuck had never seen snow fall so much. We spent three days stuck in Missoula MT waiting for 4th of July pass to be cleared. Then six days in Sandpoint (snow piled so high only way to recognize some buildings were plowed parking lots and tunnels dug to get in doors) finally made it into Banff and it just shut down. Got skied down in a week and came back state side to Bozeman to find powder again. If you live up there you know hard winters.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old May 18, 2019, 23:12   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The Tactical Innovations receiver went together perfectly with the Kidd barrel and other select parts. Used the Volquartsen receiver and barrel bedding kits together and tuned trigger to a dead solid 2.0 pounds. With a BX25 mag stuffed full of 60 grain Aguila Sniper Subsonic balances well in the thumb hole stock, is very light and tracks quickly. With suppressor mounted can literally hear the bolt moving back and forth with such little muzzle noise the loudest sound is projectile striking target.

Fired first three rounds offhand at fifty feet after bore sighting and thought something had gone wrong because the second two rounds didn't hit the target. Ironed out target to realize it ran all three in basically same hole at 0.250" outside to outside diameter. This is going to be a squirrel killer for sure. Can't wait to work it from the bench with some different match grade selections to see its true capability. Receiver to barrel mount is solid as have ever gotten in a 10/22 clone.

Old May 19, 2019, 13:10   #5
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Ironed out target to realize it ran all three in basically same hole at 0.250" outside to outside diameter..................……...Can't wait to work it from the bench with some different match grade selections to see its true capability.
Not satisfied with a one hole group?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 15:25   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

That was only at 50 feet indoors at work. Working it at 100 yards with a variety of ammo will show its potential much better. Also testing four of the Nikon target scopes as my last try of the Nikon line in under $400 range. Have found if spend over $400 can get some decent scopes from Nikon but every one of their $129 to $249 pieces of glass have tried failed miserably and the repaired/replacement unit was sold. Purchased one of the Nikon Black 4-16x scopes which is the first Nikon scope have ever bought, given it a series of honest workouts on rifle with some recoil and held together.

I pulled Leupolds off of three rim fires to move over onto recent AR 15 and AR 10 builds and now with the new build four of the Nikon rimfire 4-12x BDC scopes running on rimfires now. Hope they hold up as like their BDC reticle of stacked circles but have to test each round as velocity and bullet weight makes a big difference on how their actual point of impact is interpreted. Am usually happy with one MOA from a rimfire if wind is not an issue. The new build is specifically for use with a can to chase fast moving squirrel and while have not put on a scale yet know it's the lightest 10/22 have at moment.

That said after church today spent a few hours researching and ordering up a target/varmint profile stock, 18" stainless match barrel rather than an aluminum tube with stainless liner. Also found a 6-18x Leupold with target reticle in back of one of the safes and going to see if can build up an honest 200 yard small varmint rimfire. Barrel purchased, vendor guarantees it shoots 1/2 MOA or better in a proper build with match ammo.

Already have a trigger housing and parts all over the bench working up the trigger while wait for parts to ship. Going to fiddle with it and try for a 1.5 pound pull. Probably have to disassemble and reassemble a dozen times using different spring combinations to get reliable ignition without slam fires or hammer following bolt but it's half the fun of trigger work.

Also have a used stock 10/22 bought to use the receiver, bolt, trigger housing and few other parts as a donors for a build but the next custom is getting the stainless steel Tactical Innovations receiver so we will see if am able to leave the donor rifle alone. Did look at a factory profile match grade barrel and have a Ruger BX25 trigger group bought to test and may just do a fast factory look slight upgrade and leave it alone for a beater.

Can't believe have gone rimfire crazy when have so many centerfire projects cooking but dang squirrel are getting on my nerves and if have to go find a rifle are gone before get a shot so will now have a tack driver leaned next to every exterior door of home and work so if open door see squirrel(s) don't have to run to closest rifle while vermin is doing the same but away from structure fast as can. Once they cross property line can't take the shot. Eight rifles are required to have one next to each door that needs a squirrel chaser or cut down all my pecan trees.

Had too many spare internal parts not to finish off one more and have plenty of quick squirrel chasers. Need to get on to the 6.5 Creedmore M14 projects planned to build during hot summer and have ready to run by fall. The parts ordered today will be first time have over $500 in just parts for a 10/22 build not counting scope and mounts. By building trigger groups myself and mostly clearance parts only have been able keep them in the $250 to under $400 range. Almost dropped the cash on a carbon wrap barrel but decided for bench and varmint work off a bipod or rest the weight of a long target profile stainless barrel will be an advantage in holding rifle steady.
Old May 28, 2019, 19:39   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Picture is not much difference externally other than the BX15 magazine but had apart there times making changes.

Have so many ten round and twenty five round magazines had never really looked at the BX15's. While all are dead solid reliable like the fact that do not have to occasionally fiddle to get a ten round to drop out and twenty fives are just too much hanging below rifle especially if at bench. Have tried several different pressure pads, totally free floated with no pressure pad, no bedding and two different receiver to stock mounting kits. It seems to like the Volquartzen kit though suggest buying the special bit for installing the aluminum bedding block but once you have it will be using again. Have already retrofitted four of my older 10/22 builds with their bedding block and pressure pad. All like the thinner pressure pad versus the thicker pad.

Believe am finished with this one except for a possible optics change but thus far the 4-16x Nikon is holding together and shooting true. Done all sorts of tests and always comes back to original zero no matter how I adjust turrets during a shooting session. Yesterday though pushing 100° while out making my rounds (like to work on holiday weekends) the little rifle shot extremely well and seems the fluted aluminum Kidd tensioned barrel with stainless liner seems to not build up heat quickly and sheds it just as fast to keep itself cool.

Set up at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. Didn't shoot enough groups at 100 except to confirm which circle in the BDC reticle was correct for 100. Once I figured out which circle or if had to split circles at a particular range made notes and am calling this one a squirrel and ground hog killer. Final exercise set up ten U.S. five cent pieces evenly spaced like a little micro row of steel plates at 100 yards. Rifle went nine out of ten on the nickels either flipping them off into space or driving them straight back. The missed nickle was totally on me as was near end of string, got my breathing rythem off and held my breath just long enough developed a little shaking in my hold.

Like the Tactical Innovations V Block with set screw to snug up against bottom of barrel to reduce possibility of barrel sagging in action. The picatinny rails machined into top of receiver allow as solid of mounting system for scope as could want. It does shift point of impact when install a suppressor but once you figure out which way it moves it's consistent even if take the can off and put back on multiple times. I like consistent and predictable. Am considering swapping to a weaver T series scope with BDC reticle added just because want a sliver scope to match the rifles finish.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:56   #8
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Like the Tactical Innovations V Block with set screw to snug up against bottom of barrel to reduce possibility of barrel sagging in action.
My FFL/Gunsmith bud just finished up a personal 10/22 for himself. Bullet impact was so low he did not even have enough adjustment in the scope to sight in. He ordered in some scope base blanks and was about to custom machine a base to get the scope up when he stopped, ordered and installed the TI barrel wedge. Reshot with no other modifications or adjustments and the point of impact had raised 14" from before. Think he originally had a little barrel droop?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019, 22:43   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

When first assembled mine had adjusted the set screw that tensions against the bottom of the barrel till it just kissed the barrel and was "lightly snug". When went to sight in had to twist 28 clicks of vertical scope adjustment to get it up paper to aiming point. Realized that was taking so much of scopes adjustment it just wasn't right and if needed to crank it up more in the field for something like shooting subs at 200/250 yards may not have enough adjustment left to get where needed to be.

Next time parted action from stock lossened the V Block screws a few ft/lbs and put the torque wrench on the tension screw and added a few ft/lbs of torque to the odd new screw in the V Block. Before shooting dialed the scope back to its mechanical dead zero. Had gone from about 7" low to about 4" low. Split the two pieces again, lossened the V Block screws and added a touch more torque to the . Took one more try and scope was dead on vertical center using Ely Target (40 grain bullet at 1090 fps) which I find is a good ammo to set a rifle up with as don't need to burn a brick of Tenex breaking in and testing a new rimfire build.

I am loading a cart at Tactical Innovations right now as have a myriad of 10/22's of which several are factory rifles like the 10/22 T's with their 0.920" hammer forged barrels and some "Walmart" rifles have not gutted for parts as let Boy Scouts and church groups use out of the box field grade 10/22's with Walmart bricks of ammo from the hoard. Sure feels better when take a dozen teens or worse, a dozen teens with their dad's to shoot my rifles. Till some prove they have a clue to start and follow directions $9.95 per brick priced Thunderbolts in off the rack rifles is all they get to use.

As segregate out kids with either experience, talent or both don't hand out 10/22 T's with Federal Automatch for use. I have had to repair a half dozen (other people's rifles that quit shooting good lately) to trust folks not to repeatedly dry fire or otherwise misuse a decent rifle. What have been encountering are Kidd/Tac Sol/Green Moumtain/E R Shaw class barrels that when examine rear of barrel have been dry fired to point have a 0.125" to 0.20" groove from firing pin digging into rear from a zillion dry fire cycles and even inset ring around chamber from using ammo with hard brass/run dirty having eroded a crater around the chamber. I cut whatever need off rear of barrel and give it a pass with my Clymer reamer as know they couldn't be properly seating in relation to throat.

Know I have several factory rifles that remember a significant amount of vertical adjustment to get them on target. Plan is to buy at least ten and whenever service a 10/22 adjust scope to dead center, swap V Block to the Tactical Innovations then adjust tension screw till each puts rounds dead center at 25 yards with scope at dead center of its adjustment range unless it's an odd build with tall mounts, 20 MOA scope base or such. Basically just make sure the barrel is aligned with the receiver so it's hitting at 25 yards then know barrel is fairly well aligned with receiver and done in inexpensive and fast manner without swapping to threaded barrels and receivers.

Until find my next "new and improved" gadget most builds will get the Tactical Innovations V Blocks with tension screws. Will make aligning barrel with receiver easy and always have wider range of scope adjustments when need. I know closer scope is to its mechanical zero less oddness in clarity, abberations, etc have to be worried about. Glad you mentioned your gunsmith friend as on this build was wondering if I had not aligned something right or my torque values needed a reevaluation for V Block screws.

Shot the rifle today as wanted to be sure it was dead on scope adjustment as all screws stretched, rifle settled into stock, etc. Spent some time getting scope set to my 60 grain Aguila Sniper Subsonic at 100 yards then determined which circle of the BDC reticle was closest at 25, 50 and 75 yards. Then to see how it held up to heat shot a 50 shot group with four magazine swaps at a relaxed but not slow pace. Pulled three shots out of the ragged hole but at 75 yards at rounds 40 through 50 even in 95° heat rounds were landing in same hole as rounds one through ten. Now to build a pile then find me a pile of grandmother's and fourteen year old girls to protect the Ponderosa. Only issue is building a decent 10/22 costs same as entry to mid level AR 15.
Old June 27, 2019, 13:01   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Paperwork finally came back on the suppressors for the thumb hole builds and was killing new crop of ground hogs yesterday like it was a carnival game. For first time wife seemed to notice them because of the flat green stocks and thumb holes. Till the papers on the new cans came back have not used as much but was running them hard yesterday and even with the subsonic pills going through good cans she could hear the bras landing on the patio.

Somehow she just didn't notice them for over a month but the combo of new suppressors (she knows what Form 4's cost) with green thumb hole stocks and lots of killing yesterday she asked enough questions yesterday it got uncomfortable. She never notices a 1911 or AR 15 but these didn't look like anything she has seen around before. Plus fact there are two and she wanted to know build cost.
Old June 27, 2019, 13:26   #11
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I'm still waiting on a form 1 suppressor that they received the paperwork back last Halloween day.

NFA branch sucks.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2019, 11:01   #12
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
I just finished building a 10/22 on a TI receiver. Used a Green Mountain .920 fluted 18" barrel in blue, TI black receiver, TI bolt, Ruger BX-Trigger (only Ruger part on the gun), Magpul Hunter X-22 stock, Kidd charging handle + guide rod & spring, and Nikon 4-16 x 44 scope. Scope isn't mounted yet, waiting on some Vortex rings. Auto bolt release mod, and stock mag release modified.
The barrel was slightly oversize, and the hole in the receiver was slightly undersize, so to get them together, I put the barrel in the freezer for a few hours, and heated to receiver to 250 degrees in the oven. Then took an oven mitt, grabbed the receiver, and slid the barrel into it. Went in perfectly, which is a good thing, because I only had one shot at it. Even got the extractor groove lined up right, which was mostly dumb luck, but I'll take it. I don't think I'll have any problems with barrel droop. That barrel is in there TIGHT.
This one should be a shooter. I obviously haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet, because I'm still waiting on scope rings. I have the feeling, though, that this one will be a tack driver once I get the scope mounted and zeroed.

Last edited by catmguy445; July 08, 2019 at 09:32.
catmguy445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2019, 22:08   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

About to set into three more 10/22 builds just to test twist rates and their affect on different velocity ammunition. Have now built several 1:9 twist barrel rifles for shooting 60 grain and 40 grain subsonics. Also have a pile of standard 1:16 twist bores from factory turn bolts, semi custom turn bolts along with factory and custom made 10/22 tubes. One of these is going to be a 1:10 to see if the lighter subs and borderline subsonic projectiles like just a tad less spin than my 1:9 barrels. Also have a 1:14 22lr barrel on order just to test with a myriad of ammo as most factory 22 WMR tubes use this twist and figure some 22lr loads may like the slightly faster but not extremely fast twist tube.

Final 22 lr tube will be 1:18 and am deciding on which manufacturer as have found them in 3 groove, 4 and five groove varients. Have never been a fan of hiper velocity 22lr loads such as CCI Stingers and several of the super fast hunting pills out there. Generally just grab a 22 HMR or more likely a 22 Hornet as my Hornets have all the premium stuff from triggers to glass on them. Most likely the 1:18 will be a longer three groove polygonal rifled barrel as have had a lot of luck with three groove polygonal rifled barrels in a lot of my faster cartridges such as 22 Nosler and lighter varmint weight 5.56 Wylde projectile rifles.

Also planning a 10/22 Mag build and found almost everyone with premium tubes for them from Shilen, PacNor and more use 1:14 which is standard for most factory 22 mags. One player that I like who varies is Lilja which uses a 1:15 twist for their 22 WMR tubes and do not have a single 1:15 twist rim fire tube in the fleet. Barrels have ordered already took the recommendation of manufacturer on their barrels using the twist and grooves selected after wearing their tech guys out on the phone.

Found a couple of deals but may have to pop in the $400 per barrel range for a couple and before spend $400 each on rim fire tubes for 10/22's figure asking what others have tried may be a smart thing. Have lurked at most of the rim fire boards plus threads at other discussion groups but there always seems to be a wide collection of knowledge here. For the 1:18 rim fire and 1:15 HMR tubes am looking for as much input as possible before drop some premium turn bolt rifle barrel money on 10/22 barrels. Any total rim fire experimental and competition freaks have any input?
Old August 05, 2019, 23:33   #14
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
The scope rings and scope I was waiting on finally arrived. Instead of the Nikon scope, I wound up using a Vortex 4-16x42, and Vortex medium rings to mount it. Took it out to the range today, and it shoots. Took three groups to sight in (bore sighting is a waste of time, money, and effort) at 25 yards. Then moved the target to 50 yards and shot 3 groups. At 50 yards, it consistently printed 1" groups. This is with no tuning. I'm going to play with the barrel attaching screw torque and stock tension thingie that's built into Magpul stocks and see if I can get better groups. Also, for sighting in, I was shooting off a sandbag with no rear rest, so some of that 1" group was the shooter. From a solid rest, it may do better. But for the first time out with no tuning and off of a sandbag, I don't think it did too badly. Also, no failures of any kind. I'm pretty pleased with the way this rifle turned out.