Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > News & Current Events

Notices

Old February 14, 2018, 06:48   #1
needafal
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 15194
US Olympic Gold Medal Winner Steps on American Flag

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/0...ial-media.html

While representing the US in the olympics, shaun drags the American flag on the ground and then steps on it in front of presumably, millions of viewers. He should never be permitted to "represent the US" in any olympic, or any other event. What complete disrespect for the our country, the flag and what it represents.

What this DOES represent though, is how many of the tards that unfortunately live in this country,completely disrespect it and what this once great country used to be.

Name of offender and the event purposely not capitalized. The emphasis is not deserved.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:38   #2
Latante
Registered

FALaholic #: 80424
This scum represents America? He should spend a few years in the service of his country in the Marines or other branches of service. Maybe they could teach him what that flag he was so careless with stands for. But I doubt it.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:50   #3
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
He should have traded the U.S. Flag for his board and held it high, instead of trying to carry both. Of course, it wasn't me and he looks to have been in a fog.
imacoonass01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 07:51   #4
2barearms
I really don't hate you..
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Itís not a real medal or a sport for that matter. They created this abomination so
Millenials could feel like they are included. I donít ski but from folks I be talked to they are usually dangerous to be around and have bad attitudes.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stšrker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 10:53   #5
TraFALgar
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4366
I didnít see this on video. But if you read his apology in the link, he does say it was unintentional. Sounds like a careless accident in the excitement of the moment.
Save your righteous indignation for the antifas.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:14   #6
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I saw it live. He was totally caught up in the moment and I don't believe it was intentional, but certainly he should take more care with it in the future.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 11:40   #7
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
You'd think the USOC would teach them some basic etiquette regarding the flag and national anthem.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 11:40   #8
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Itís not a real medal or a sport for that matter. They created this abomination so
Millenials could feel like they are included. I donít ski but from folks I be talked to they are usually dangerous to be around and have bad attitudes.
Olympic snowboarding was introduced in Nagano 1998....when many Millennials were still in diapers. In fact, since boarding has been around so long now, the children of boarders are on the slopes now....on skis (twin tips) because snowboarding is what their parents did and is 'lame' again. There was a time when you saw nothing but boards on kids (late 90's), now its mostly skis again.

Im not sure how you can dismiss snowboarding, but the "traditional" events like freestyle or long jump are considered "real" winter sports. It takes greater effort to do 5 hits in a half pipe than it does a freestyle or long jump skier to do one after skiing straight down a launch ramp (mogul freestyle excluded). Im not entirely sure you saw the same gold medal run everyone else saw....because I have never seen anyone do aerials like White did last night....in any other kind of sport.

Skiing is actually much easier (fundamentally) than snowboarding since you have much more control. Just because something is newer than you are old, doesn't mean its an abomination. How many WWI and WWII vets thought the same thing about the FAL? Even my now antiquated Ski-Cross style skis I run were once considered new-fangled hooliganism with their super aggressive shape and construction. Now, all downhill skis are aggressively parabolic with most bindings on pivots and risers. The winter olympics are not that old. The events in them are not that old, many are very recently introduced. The carbon and polymer technology that enables the speed and aggressiveness really has only been around for the last 50 years, winter sports are just catching up.

All unattended kids are going to have bad attitudes. Their parents dump them on the slopes after school and pick them up at closing with $100 in their pocket for food and a lift pass. Thats a parental issue more than a snowboard issue. Im on the slopes just about every chance I get (on skis), and you can see the twerps from the top of the hill. You just give them space, and watch their cadence of turns when you try to pass (because they never look). Again, thats a parental issue of them not being taught slope (or proper social) etiquette.

White was inconsolable, and in a fog. I knew something like this 'outrage' was going to happen as soon as that aide started to shove a half unfolded flag in his face while he was breaking down and entranced. Im pretty sure he had no idea what was going on for about 10 minutes after his score came back. He could barely even keep standing. It made me cringe too, but anyone could have seen that coming.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 13:05   #9
tk421
Registered

FALaholic #: 7857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Exactly.

The fastest way to turn someone into a complete Douchebag is to put a board under their feet. Skaters, surfers, snowboarders, they're all complete douchebags.

Adding snowboarding to the Olympics is just another example of "Everybody gets a prize". Add more sports so more tender-butt types can feel special.

There are a lot of reasons I pay no attention to and give no fukks about the Olympics any more.
Old February 14, 2018, 13:18   #10
kwthor
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 49571
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
Exactly.

The fastest way to turn someone into a complete Douchebag is to put a board under their feet. Skaters, surfers, snowboarders, they're all complete douchebags.

Adding snowboarding to the Olympics is just another example of "Everybody gets a prize". Add more sports so more tender-butt types can feel special.

There are a lot of reasons I pay no attention to and give no fukks about the Olympics any more.
Would you like a little cheese with that whine ?
Old February 14, 2018, 13:52   #11
tk421
Registered

FALaholic #: 7857
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthor View Post
Would you like a little cheese with that whine ?
I'm good. Maybe you should shave your vaj and staple or tape some balls on?
Old February 14, 2018, 13:53   #12
juanni
TROLL

FALaholic #: 2439
Who cares?

Watching sports is for the lumpy and dumpy.

......................juanni
Old February 14, 2018, 13:54   #13
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Bitching about an Olympic winner stepping on the flag (perhaps inadvertently) while allowing your treasonous 'elected' representatives in DC to destroy the Constitutional Republic seems somewhat of an over-reaction to me, but maybe that's just me...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 14:51   #14
needafal
Silver Contributor

Bitching and allowing are two entirely different actions. You certainly do your share of bitching around here. I guess I will allow you to do it in this thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Bitching about an Olympic winner stepping on the flag (perhaps inadvertently) while allowing your treasonous 'elected' representatives in DC to destroy the Constitutional Republic seems somewhat of an over-reaction to me, but maybe that's just me...

Forrest
Old February 14, 2018, 14:51   #15
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post
Olympic snowboarding was introduced in Nagano 1998....when many Millennials were still in diapers. In fact, since boarding has been around so long now, the children of boarders are on the slopes now....on skis (twin tips) because snowboarding is what their parents did and is 'lame' again. There was a time when you saw nothing but boards on kids (late 90's), now its mostly skis again.

Im not sure how you can dismiss snowboarding, but the "traditional" events like freestyle or long jump are considered "real" winter sports. It takes greater effort to do 5 hits in a half pipe than it does a freestyle or long jump skier to do one after skiing straight down a launch ramp (mogul freestyle excluded). Im not entirely sure you saw the same gold medal run everyone else saw....because I have never seen anyone do aerials like White did last night....in any other kind of sport.

Skiing is actually much easier (fundamentally) than snowboarding since you have much more control. Just because something is newer than you are old, doesn't mean its an abomination. How many WWI and WWII vets thought the same thing about the FAL? Even my now antiquated Ski-Cross style skis I run were once considered new-fangled hooliganism with their super aggressive shape and construction. Now, all downhill skis are aggressively parabolic with most bindings on pivots and risers. The winter olympics are not that old. The events in them are not that old, many are very recently introduced. The carbon and polymer technology that enables the speed and aggressiveness really has only been around for the last 50 years, winter sports are just catching up.

All unattended kids are going to have bad attitudes. Their parents dump them on the slopes after school and pick them up at closing with $100 in their pocket for food and a lift pass. Thats a parental issue more than a snowboard issue. Im on the slopes just about every chance I get (on skis), and you can see the twerps from the top of the hill. You just give them space, and watch their cadence of turns when you try to pass (because they never look). Again, thats a parental issue of them not being taught slope (or proper social) etiquette.

White was inconsolable, and in a fog. I knew something like this 'outrage' was going to happen as soon as that aide started to shove a half unfolded flag in his face while he was breaking down and entranced. Im pretty sure he had no idea what was going on for about 10 minutes after his score came back. He could barely even keep standing. It made me cringe too, but anyone could have seen that coming.
Great post!

Thanks.
Old February 14, 2018, 15:11   #16
scoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 78074
I am pretty sure Shaun did this by accident and was caught up in the moment. His statement about it all seems genuine.

This brings up a topic though that I believe is missed in this "story".

Our youth is not taught to respect the flag or what it represents nor are they taught any flag etiquette. They arent taught the words to our national anthem, the words to America the Beautiful, the Pledge of Allegiance etc etc etc .

The left took over our schools and removed patriotism from the culture.

I wont let it die at my house!! I was so proud last night. I arrived to my youngest daughters game last night just as the ROTC was presenting colors and the Anthem was about to begin. I stopped and removed my lid right inside the fence when I noticed the colors presentation. I looked to mid field and noticed my daughter loosely standing at attention with her right hand over her heart. I felt so proud. I felt even more pride when she was nudging her teammates next to her to do the same...and they did.

She is my youngest ( 15 ) and was not around when I was in the Corps. However, she shares in my love of this country and respects the sacrifices of those that came before her. She knows those sacrifices give her the life she has now.
Old February 14, 2018, 15:46   #17
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I haven't watched the Olympics in years, the primadonna protest of a raised fist during an award ceremony killed it for me. I could care less about the games.
Old February 14, 2018, 16:22   #18
needafal
Silver Contributor

I too believe it was an accident. However, as others have said, this is just another example of younger generations just flat out don't give a flip about this and other important ideals that this country are founded on.

I cannot recall exactly but aren't they called the "me" generation or something like that?
Old February 14, 2018, 17:21   #19
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoose View Post
I am pretty sure Shaun did this by accident and was caught up in the moment. His statement about it all seems genuine.

This brings up a topic though that I believe is missed in this "story".

Our youth is not taught to respect the flag or what it represents nor are they taught any flag etiquette. They arent taught the words to our national anthem, the words to America the Beautiful, the Pledge of Allegiance etc etc etc .

The left took over our schools and removed patriotism from the culture.

I wont let it die at my house!! I was so proud last night. I arrived to my youngest daughters game last night just as the ROTC was presenting colors and the Anthem was about to begin. I stopped and removed my lid right inside the fence when I noticed the colors presentation. I looked to mid field and noticed my daughter loosely standing at attention with her right hand over her heart. I felt so proud. I felt even more pride when she was nudging her teammates next to her to do the same...and they did.

She is my youngest ( 15 ) and was not around when I was in the Corps. However, she shares in my love of this country and respects the sacrifices of those that came before her. She knows those sacrifices give her the life she has now.

You nailed it, scoose! I did cringe at him dragging Old Glory around and stepping on it though. I hope someone lets him and all our athletes know about it so it doesn’t happen again.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 17:26   #20
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
Originally Posted by needafal View Post
I too believe it was an accident. However, as others have said, this is just another example of younger generations just flat out don't give a flip about this and other important ideals that this country are founded on.

I cannot recall exactly but aren't they called the "me" generation or something like that?
The younger generations are simply reflections of the failures (and successes) of the generations that raised them, so maybe “not giving a flip” might have been “ was never taught”. Or maybe not, just sayin’.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 17:30   #21
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
Meh,
Oh , the olympics

nfl that thinks it knows somebody
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 17:52   #22
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
You nailed it, scoose! I did cringe at him dragging Old Glory around and stepping on it though. I hope someone lets him and all our athletes know about it so it doesn’t happen again.
Yep I don’t think he intentionally disrespected the flag. For some reason I vaguely remember that you’re not to wear it like a piece of clothing either though that has gone by the wayside over the past decades. We learned all this stuff in Cub Scouts

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 18:08   #23
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
I watched it live and I think he was oblivious to what he was doing, and he meant no disrespect. I don't think he's a bad guy as far as I know.

But having said that, it was disrespectful and people should know better.

The whole practice of draping oneself in the flag started at the Olympics quite some time ago and it's always been WRONG and is still WRONG.

One would think if the U.S. Olympic committee wasn't run by dickwads, they'd educate all the athletes on the Flag Code and about being respectful.
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 18:10   #24
lockjaw
Not a gimp RR 11B40 B4
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
The younger generations are simply reflections of the failures (and successes) of the generations that raised them, so maybe “not giving a flip” might have been “ was never taught”. Or maybe not, just sayin’.
Maybe someone could have helped and/or educated the man, rather than taking pix with the intention of stirring shit? That disgusts me more than White's ignorance and/or complacency.

Pretty sure every generation before them made the same argument.

Chastising individuals, groups, and/or an entire generation typically yields a cold shoulder rather than an open ear.
Old February 16, 2018, 14:16   #25
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
The things people bitch about.. god I wish I had that kind of free time.