Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old July 05, 2018, 16:44   #1
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
?? Confederate Lines Cut Off Vicksburg Military Park

Growing up my grandparents lived in Vicksburg with mother and sister born there as well. Wanted to show my wife the park today. We drove through and once you get past the union lines, the road going to the Confederate monuments and some incredible vistas has been blocked. It gave you a real flavor why the yankee scum had to starve the people out with a siege. Anybody from Ms have any idea whatís up?

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2018, 18:01   #2
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
prolly to keep the chimps from messing with history.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesnít appeal to you, youíre a frikkin' pansy. Also, youíre probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2018, 18:10   #3
Grizz44
Registered

FALaholic #: 79236
A CHIMP OUT is in the works ? The. Mighty South will rise again.
Grizz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2018, 18:45   #4
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Growing up my grandparents lived in Vicksburg with mother and sister born there as well. Wanted to show my wife the park today. We drove through and once you get past the union lines, the road going to the Confederate monuments and some incredible vistas has been blocked. It gave you a real flavor why the yankee scum had to starve the people out with a siege. Anybody from Ms have any idea what’s up?
Small world, I grew up about 20 miles West of there. Went to the park often as a kid before I grasped the history. Get to go back every year or so and sometimes revisit the park. Dont have a clue as to why they would block the Southern side. Remember stores selling mini balls from gallon pickle jars....lol

In places the trenches were just feet across from each other, that visual stays with me. Grant also built some canals on the West bank of the MS with plans to change the MS river course.

In my early teens they recovered the ironclad that is on display in the park.
Old July 05, 2018, 22:39   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
Small world, I grew up about 20 miles West of there. Went to the park often as a kid before I grasped the history. Get to go back every year or so and sometimes revisit the park. Dont have a clue as to why they would block the Southern side. Remember stores selling mini balls from gallon pickle jars....lol

In places the trenches were just feet across from each other, that visual stays with me. Grant also built some canals on the West bank of the MS with plans to change the MS river course.

In my early teens they recovered the ironclad that is on display in the park.
The Cairo is there now but you can’t drive up the hill to the other part. I remember before the Cairo. It’s a damn conspiracy. I remember taking gurls there

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2018, 05:42   #6
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
I toured the entire battlefield and the Cairo in 2003. Glad I got the chance before they fooked with it.
Old July 06, 2018, 09:50   #7
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
I got to go to the park in 1992 when we dropped our ship's bell off for their display until commissioning in November of that year. Awesome tour through the park. We would drive up to Vicksburg every now and again and the town treated us great. Wear your Vicksburg ball cap and you generally got a free drink or 3.

A friend married a gal whose mother managed the bed and breakfast that used to be a hospital during the Civil War. I can't remember the name at the moment, but one of the rooms has a cannonball stuck in a rafter and they put a plexiglass frame around it. When we evacuated Pascagoula due to a hurricane, a few friends and I went to Vicksburg rather than Meridian (to the NAS) and I got to stay in that room.

Last edited by C-ya; July 06, 2018 at 13:50.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2018, 11:58   #8
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
It gave you a real flavor why the yankee scum had to starve the people out with a siege.
Don't start a war ya can't win.

Vicksburg is one of my favorite Civil War battlefields.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2018, 23:00   #9
TraFALgar
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4366
Quote from the NPS website

Quote:
Confederate Avenue from Fort Hill to Graveyard Road is closed to all vehicle traffic. All other roads, including the rest of Confederate Ave remains open.

What Happened?
During the heavy rains from the remnants of Hurricane Harvey, a large section of soil washed out from under the roadbed. Maintenance staff identified that a seven foot deep hole appeared under the full width of Confederate Avenue. The road had begun to crack and danger of collapsing. The road was closed on September 1, 2017.
Perhaps this explains it. Or it could be another damned Yankee subterfuge. Dixie!
TraFALgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2018, 22:26   #10
Small Arms Collector
Registered

FALaholic #: 80718
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Don't start a war ya can't win.

Vicksburg is one of my favorite Civil War battlefields.
The South didnít start the war. Fort Sumpter was a SOUTHERN fort that was illegally occupied by Northern troops. Diplomacy was tried and they would not leave, so they got blasted out. The whole thing was engineered by the North as a casus belli.
Small Arms Collector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018, 20:04   #11
ronshoe303
Registered

FALaholic #: 35927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Arms Collector View Post
The South didnít start the war. Fort Sumpter was a SOUTHERN fort that was illegally occupied by Northern troops. Diplomacy was tried and they would not leave, so they got blasted out. The whole thing was engineered by the North as a casus belli.
You need to go back reread your history. Fort Sumter was approved by congress in 1817 as part of a national coastal defense project. It was federal property and the state of South Carolina had no right to it. Anderson moved from Fort Moultrie to Sumter because Moultrie was indefensible from the landward side. The South was spoiling for a fight and got one. Unfortunately, the South couldn't compete with the industrial might of the North and the rest is history as they say...
ronshoe303 is online now   Reply With Quote