The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old June 29, 2018, 14:14   #1
PBR Streetgang
Registered

FALaholic #: 8684
Is anyone familiar with this aluminum magic?

I know nothing about welding except that I can't afford any equipment. This looks like even I could use it!

--Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

'You have to pinch yourself - a Marxist radical who all his life has been
mentored by, sat at the feet of, worshiped with, befriended, endorsed the
philosophy of, funded and been in turn funded, politically promoted and
supported by a nexus comprising black power anti-white racists, Jew-haters,
revolutionary Marxists, unrepentant former terrorists and Chicago mobsters,
is on the verge of becoming President of the United States. And apparently
it's considered impolite to say so.'
PBR Streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018, 14:28   #2
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Was there supposed to be a video, pictures, link or anything?
Old June 29, 2018, 15:09   #3
PBR Streetgang
Registered

I was so excited I forgot the link!

https://www.aluminumrepair.com/video-of-actual-repairs/

--Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Old June 29, 2018, 15:57   #4
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
I'm no expert but IMHO it looks like a fairly simple brazing operation. Nothing magic........

YMMV

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018, 16:11   #5
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Here in town, about 20min from me. Might have to pick some up and play with it a little.

The brazing rods ya twisted fuggs!!!!!!!
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018, 09:54   #6
2barearms
I really don't hate you..
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Yep looks like vapor ware to me.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018, 11:02   #7
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
I know nothing about welding except that I can't afford any equipment. This looks like even I could use it!
What are you trying to repair?

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018, 12:13   #8
PBR Streetgang
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
What are you trying to repair?
Nothing at the moment but it i had some of this....

--Ayn Rand

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Old June 30, 2018, 16:35   #9
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
shows outside the box thinking

a alloyed rod that adheres to the parent metal and becomes stronger than the metal it is joining

for reference; think Certaniam Alloy welding rods ..... 707 , 889 and others
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018, 19:23   #10
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
It has been several years but at an auto show once I saw a guy brazing on a coke can with some rod, pretty neat but I did not buy any.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018, 20:04   #11
2barearms
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
It has been several years but at an auto show once I saw a guy brazing on a coke can with some rod, pretty neat but I did not buy any.
Yep I fell face first into that one. It’s a low metal point alloy of some sort.
It works on very thin material like a coke can but anything much thicker
and the base metal won’t get hot enough to bond with filler material.

Old July 01, 2018, 09:26   #12
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Aluminum really dissipates heat fast,so ordinary propane usually won't cut it. MAPP gas or similar works better. Also,clean the ever-living snot out of the two surfaces you want welded,with a stainless wire brush. Remove all surface oxidation,scrub down to exposed,clean aluminum.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2018, 22:07   #13
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Aluminum really dissipates heat fast,so ordinary propane usually won't cut it. MAPP gas or similar works better. Also,clean the ever-living snot out of the two surfaces you want welded,with a stainless wire brush. Remove all surface oxidation,scrub down to exposed,clean aluminum.
And preheat the aluminum part before welding..........
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2018, 22:37   #14
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
I also saw it at a gun or outdoor show and bought a few sizes as wall as a local metal supply and hwd store that has a larger stick 1/4 x 3/4 inch or so.

Have used the 1/4 round stick and it works well, have not used the larger stick.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2018, 18:59   #15
MK ULTRA
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2382
I saw it yrs ago at a fun show. It works for sealing holes. Don’t know how strong it is.

MK ULTRA.....OUT.....

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Statesman and Inventor: 1759

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.....
MK ULTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2018, 16:40   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have a Miller MIG (Millermatic 252) welder with 30 amp spool gun for aluminum and steel, Maxstar 280 TIG with 1 amp to 280 amp range plus a portable gasoline powered Miller with TIG control head in case have to do aluminum or other odd repair in field. Being able to work low as one amp and a decent operator can weld beer cans together without blow outs.

Those rods look interesting as with the set of MAP gas bottles carry in toolbox of daily drivers ability to fix a small issue with aluminum would be huge at times and not have to go get the big service truck or if working on roof of a building could drag my portable torch kit up and repair aluminum without having to try and get the Maxstar up top with a small bottle if have power to run it. Appreciate the info and review from user farther down the thread.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2018, 18:06   #17
2barearms
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Have a Miller MIG (Millermatic 252) welder with 30 amp spool gun for aluminum and steel, Maxstar 280 TIG with 1 amp to 280 amp range plus a portable gasoline powered Miller with TIG control head in case have to do aluminum or other odd repair in field. Being able to work low as one amp and a decent operator can weld beer cans together without blow outs.

Those rods look interesting as with the set of MAP gas bottles carry in toolbox of daily drivers ability to fix a small issue with aluminum would be huge at times and not have to go get the big service truck or if working on roof of a building could drag my portable torch kit up and repair aluminum without having to try and get the Maxstar up top with a small bottle if have power to run it. Appreciate the info and review from user farther down the thread.
Is there anything you don’t own or can’t do? You must be a multi millionaire.....
with a 195 IQ.........

Old July 06, 2018, 18:37   #18
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
This will work for covering a blind pin on a muzzlebrake project I'll be doing shortly.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2018, 19:59   #19
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Is there anything you don’t own or can’t do? You must be a multi millionaire.....
with a 195 IQ.........
Hold my beer and watch this...

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2018, 20:05   #20
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:

You really are full of shit. A model 30A spoolgun is good for 200 amps... I know, I have used them. A Maxstar 280 has no AC output... How do you TIG alu off that? And what is the "Magic Box" you use on your gas drive Miller? Long time aluminum welding guy here... Everything from 1/2" thick dumpboxes to .062" wall pipe work.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2018, 15:56   #21
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
with a 195 IQ.........
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2018, 20:13   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
with a 195 IQ.........
Obviously you donh't own or have run a business and know what it costs to do so.

Price a 55 foot High Ranger mounted on a Top Kick with Caterpillar engine, welder, hoist and all the tools and supplies to keep it stoked... An easy six figures or more than I paid for my house.

How about a $65,000 CNC router by time its shipped, wired in and all accessories plus a $7,500 piece of software to run it along with end mills and custom bits plan on dropping $80k to get it up and running.

Or a $25,000 printer and $11,000 plotter with a $3,500 piece of software to run them times three work stations racks up another $150k before stock any consumables.

Price a 30 horsepower air compressor, after-cooler and all the other accessories like breathable air filtration system and mask/hood to go with it when don't want to die in the spray booth.

Maybe stock a half dozen roll away tool chests with tools so all the employees have something more than a sharp stick and a rock to work with.

Filling the drawers is not cheap.

New this was a $2,000 spline drive air wrench and a $2,000 torque wrench.

These specialty tool bags probably have over a grand in each and employees can get sticky fingers.

Don't even want to know how much have on these shelves in small power tools.

Between a roof to keep it all dry, walls and alarm to keep it from being stolen, insurance, software, CPA's, lawyers and such a million dollars is basically a start on a small business but you prove over and over you have no clue. Try signing a half dozen pay checks on Friday, pay your workmans comp an match Social Security, etc.... Why I only have part time workers I trust now. When you go into work on Monday maybe thank your boss for your paycheck, the equipment use to earn it and the roof keeping you dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
You really are full of shit. A model 30A spoolgun is good for 200 amps... I know, I have used them. A Maxstar 280 has no AC output... How do you TIG alu off that? And what is the "Magic Box" you use on your gas drive Miller? Long time aluminum welding guy here... Everything from 1/2" thick dumpboxes to .062" wall pipe work.
Found enough pictures in my phone, have a Millermatic 251 with 30 amp spool gun, not a 252 but very li8ttle difference if any. Also the TIG is a CST 280 set up for stick in this picture but can see the TIG pedal foreground and TIG torches/regulators in the box under the machine. Also the TIG head for the portable welder on truck is behind the machines with the Edelbrock box sitting on top and my little Lincoln machine is sitting off to the left. No pictures of the gasoline powered Miller in back of the service truck, so sad...

Of course need a metal Brake or two and a shear if doing any real fabrication.

I haven't even touched on woodworking equipment. Opps, better show something or am a liar for saying can do woodworking around here.

Can even do our own heat treating in shop. Posted enough machine shop equipment in past so will forgo it unless someone thinks it all walked off other than the big lathe I sold.

Heat of summer and really cold of winter even have to be equipped to do HVAC work as signs and batteries slow down on occasion.

With the entirety of equipment I have in the shop and on three trucks without actually being eyes on it or waste an hour and a half finding pictures I can't remember every model number on every piece. I do know what it will cost to replace if building burns to ground and can only afford enough insurance to build the building back and replace half at best.

Why have a Halon fire suppression system over the more expensive items and offices to hopefully slow a fire so its not a total loss. Running a welding shop, wood working and paint booth under same roof and the insurance company stabs me for $1,200 month even though have never had a single claim as we are careful.

I really don't want to post another 50 photos to keep people from saying I can't have what say is under the roof. Just give me a call and stop in for a visit. Its all there.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old July 07, 2018, 21:18   #23
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Obviously you donh't own or have run a business and know what it costs to do so.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2018, 21:28   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Typing from a phone with fat fingers and spell check turned off for text messages sucks. And yes, I took the Dale Carnegie class at my dad's recommendation. What's odd is have hired over a dozen high school graduates that could not fill out their job application, W2 or I-9. Had to have someone help them as had "technical" degrees where only took shop and construction classes.
Old July 07, 2018, 22:05   #25
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Maybe stock a half dozen roll away tool chests with tools so all the employees have something more than a sharp stick and a rock to work with.

Now wait a minute. Are you criticizing CAI's gunsmithing skills?

Quote:
These specialty tool bags probably have over a grand in each and employees can get sticky fingers.

Anything you can do to keep their finger from sticking to what does not belong to them?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote