Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old November 04, 2017, 08:50   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
37 Grain Varmint Grenade (graphic)

Normally use 30 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades on squirrel but have so many coyote keep the side door/patio Hornet loaded with 37 grain version and a 22 rimfire with 60 grain Aguilla Sniper Subsonics for squirrels. This morning had a squirrel on side of house when got home from Bible Study and by time got door unlocked and hand on rifles he was at far fenceline high in a tree at about 75 yards or little more. Grabbed the Hornet and put one through his back as was on tree and knew if bullet was a pass through would bury harmlessly in tree. Stunning the trauma a little under 40 grain bullet from a tiny cartridge will exert. After blowing this fat squirrels mid section out it removed a leg.

These projectiles waste ground hogs and coyote easily out to 150 yards before step up to a 5.56 Wylde. Then about 300 yards go to 22 Nosler, 22-250 or 22-250 Ackley Improved using appropriate bullet weight for varmint shooting as best I can but like this morning wanted this squirrel that was actively chewing hole in eve of house dead and no chance of escape. This can be a murdered varmint thread.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2017, 21:26   #2
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Dang that looks like fun, wish I could do it here in St. Pete We are loaded with those little long tailed rats. Maybe i'll sneak out the old pellet rifle and continue my old urban sniper routine.
Old November 06, 2017, 15:50   #3
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
I'll never forget the first time I hit a groundhog w/ a 85gr boat tail hollow point from the .243 ........ hit it nose to tail & turned it inside out, red outside and brown inside
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2017, 00:01   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55bird View Post
Dang that looks like fun, wish I could do it here in St. Pete We are loaded with those little long tailed rats. Maybe i'll sneak out the old pellet rifle and continue my old urban sniper routine.
At work have a 10/22 with suppressor and subsonic ammo. Not as loud as my pellet rifle and match barrel means if squeeze trigger one dies. This is survival around here no we have so many on the attack.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 09:15   #5
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
The Barnes varmint grenades are something else. Back when I worked for the Army, my team got our hands on some of the them that Army had been testing. A few rabbits ran in front of our bullets, there wasn’t much left of them. As I remember the ones we got were a 55 gr bullet, but it looks like Barnes doesn’t make a 55gr bullet any more.

Some of the guys that came back from Afghanistan said that they worked very well on people as long as they didn’t have any body armor on.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 11:09   #6
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
For what it's worth a 69gr match king loaded with 24.7 Grs of ar comp will completely vaporize a 10lb watermelon at 100 yds.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 11:48   #7
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
At work have a 10/22 with suppressor and subsonic ammo. Not as loud as my pellet rifle and match barrel means if squeeze trigger one dies. This is survival around here no we have so many on the attack.
And in case of TEOTWAWKI, you can arm up the grannies !!!!

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote