Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old May 27, 2015, 23:42   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Missed a pig!

Damn. I was in my box blind after work today, overlooking a game feeder 80 yards away. I saw two young pigs and a sow under the feeder Monday after our big storm event. They split when my wife and I got to within 200-250 yards. So, I was all set to bag one today and got in the stand about 5:15. Around 6:25, the two youngsters came out of the woods and milled about around the feeder (which turned out to be empty). The grass is really high out in that pasture and it was hard to get a good clear view of the pigs. My 21" Imbel with a Weaver V-3 was rested on a window sill of the blind.

Man, it should have been easy money. The pigs kept dropping out of sight in the grass though; I was worried that they would head back into the woods at any second. The bigger of the pair finally presented himself broad-side to me, snout to my left and I thought I had a good shot at his ear. I missed. Damn. Both took off like scalded dogs and bolted for the trees. I suspect mama was waiting there for them. Hoping that I might have scored a pass through hit, I checked out the feeder and all I found was no corn on the ground and stinkin' pig smell. I'm filling the feeder tomorrow and headed back probably Friday after work or early Saturday morning. I am going to kill one! Pics will follow, I promise. Damned pigs.

pig killing rifle (well, at least it has before...):

box blind stand:

Last edited by Texgunner; May 29, 2015 at 13:34.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015, 19:02   #2
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
Great looking Fal, I really like how low it sits on the rifle. What exactly is that scope/mount/ring setup on your Fal. What type of bullets are you shooting those hogs with as they sure rip some holes in them. Congrats looks like you did well enough.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015, 20:30   #3
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d762nato View Post
Great looking Fal, I really like how low it sits on the rifle. What exactly is that scope/mount/ring setup on your Fal. What type of bullets are you shooting those hogs with as they sure rip some holes in them. Congrats looks like you did well enough.
Thanks! The rifle was built and parkerized by Randy Kline, aka Sledgehammer, a member here and terrific gunsmith. I did the Penguin furniture myself. The scope is a Weaver V-3 (1-3 x 20) on an ARMS #3 mount in Warne Maxima QD low rings. I had to file down a rivet at the rear top of the ARMS mount in order for the rear bell of the scope to gain enough clearance.

Those two hogs were shot with Portuguese surplus FMJ 7.62. The gray boar was dropped where he stood with two initial "double tap" shots (about an inch apart) behind his right ear. His black buddy took off running to my right and I shot several rounds (7 or 8?) from the hip while he was hauling ass. He ran into one of those I guess. You can see where one grazed his side before impacting behind his front right leg. It sure opened him up didn't it? I imagine that took out his heart too. Both were shot a couple more times just to "be sure" they didn't get up. The distance for the gray was only about 35 yards. It was just a bit farther for the shot that took out the black one.

I'm heading out in the morning again about 6:30, this time I'm going to try a Savage 99 lever-gun in .243 with a vintage Lyman All-American scope from the box blind. I know it's dead-on and a well-placed shot should do the deed. Thanks again!
Gary

Last edited by Texgunner; May 29, 2015 at 22:47.
Old May 29, 2015, 21:44   #4
CivyBlue
Registered

FALaholic #: 74166
Who says spray and pray doesn't work?
Old May 29, 2015, 22:48   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivyBlue View Post
Who says spray and pray doesn't work?
It sure did that time!
Old May 30, 2015, 08:51   #6
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Very nice...So were these the "babies" with momma? That really did open the black one up....
Old May 30, 2015, 10:59   #7
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
Very nice...So were these the "babies" with momma? That really did open the black one up....
Thanks G3! No sir, those were killed a couple years ago. Yeah, looked like a bomb went off in that black boar.

This morning? No luck. I was in the blind about twenty minutes before the feeder ran, and a nice white-tail doe came out and helped herself to some corn but I never saw any pigs. Damned elusive they are; maybe smarter than me, lol. Oh well, I won't be deterred for long. This evening or sometime tomorrow I'll give it another try.
Old May 30, 2015, 20:40   #8
ALBPM
Registered

FALaholic #: 16249
Wow!! That sure is a nice setup you have down there...

All your SAR 4800 are belong to us..........NM Thugs

I am not the "Knuckle Dragging Century Building Thug" ce !! I am Alby the "Fabio Thug"!!!!
ALBPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015, 21:23   #9
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBPM View Post
Wow!! That sure is a nice setup you have down there...
Thanks Paul...you know about that .243 Savage don't you?

I hope to bag a pig with it soon. I hope Pete would approve.

Last edited by Texgunner; May 31, 2015 at 15:58.
Old May 31, 2015, 00:20   #10
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216

(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)

Last edited by Andy the Aussie; May 31, 2015 at 00:26.
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015, 06:54   #11
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Oy, that's a nice one Andy! There seems to be no shortage of feral pigs where you hunt (in NSW, right?) but I'd say you are certainly doing your part to help thin them out. I have seen groups as large as 25-30 last year on my game camera but recently the numbers have been down quite a bit.

As an illustration to explain why we can't really control their numbers through hunting, let me share this with members who may not know. In high school, our daughter dated a young man who was a swine "expert". His family raised domestic pigs and he was involved with pigs in 4-H and FFA (Future Farmers of America). Mark told us that the gestation period for a female pig is always three months, three weeks, and three days. He claimed one could set their calendar by it.

Now, a typical sow will have a litter of at least six piglets. Let's just assume that three will be female. With good available resources, the young sows will breed at around eight months. Okay, she and her sisters will also produce six per litter, every 3 months, three weeks, three days, or thereabouts. And remember, their mother will continue to breed at that rate too. It is easy to see how their numbers are increasing exponentially at a great rate. The estimated number of feral pigs in Texas alone surpassed two million some time back. Andy, we could sure use your help here! There are a lot of pigs here, and plenty more on the way. Lock and load indeed. I am really looking forward to my upcoming retirement; I'm gonna spend a lot more time "doing my part".

Now, I can't decide which rifle to try when I head out next. So many choices...I favor the semi-autos for quick follow-up shots (triple-taps? ) but I would love to take one with an old milsurp too. I have a few great shooting Finn M39s that I might try, or my scoped K-31 also. What to do, what to do?

Old May 31, 2015, 07:19   #12
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
It is easy to see how their numbers are increasing exponentially at a great rate.
The numbers I keep hearing:

If you want to actually reduce the overall population of pigs in Texas, you'd have to kill 90% of the population in one year. Sounds nuts but not once you understand the whole story.

Female sexual maturity in as little as 3 months of age
Polyestrous cycle of 3 weeks
Gestation of 100 days
Litter size 1-14
Successful breeding and live birth as late as 14 years of age.

Compare that to a whitetail.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015, 08:42   #13
hangfire762
Registered

FALaholic #: 44232
I'm across the river from you over on Robertson county side. I smacked this one with a rifle a buddy gave me that had been bubba'd up. It's an old Chilean model 95 mauser. He had never shot it and didn't think the scope was on. I took it out,...shot great and was right on the money. Went out a few hours later and bagged this little piggie. With all the rain we've been getting it's pushing them out of the creek bottom brush and to where we can get good shoots.[IMG][/IMG]
hangfire762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015, 09:56   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

That's very cool hangfire! Is that the bullet hole in the middle of his back? That rifle worked out great didn't it? Well done indeed!
Old May 31, 2015, 10:05   #15
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I've done the same. Shot over the back of a deer at 125 yds or so. I still think I wasn't holding the rifle tight enough when I was resting it and let the muzzle flip. Had my scope set on 5x and had the scope full of deer. Saw a splash on the other side which I thought was a pass through too. I just damn missed as I was overconfident from banging an 8 point the day before

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015, 13:34   #16
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

I got this one with a Fal a couple years ago. I also shot one with my M14 that same year. ...no photos of that one as he wasn't much larger than my beagle........He sure looked bigger at 100 yds...

If you some extra guns to help thin out your hog heard I can be over there on a moments notice...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hog-2012_001.jpg (133.3 KB, 257 views)
Old May 31, 2015, 14:22   #17
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I've done the same. Shot over the back of a deer at 125 yds or so. I still think I wasn't holding the rifle tight enough when I was resting it and let the muzzle flip. Had my scope set on 5x and had the scope full of deer. Saw a splash on the other side which I thought was a pass through too. I just damn missed as I was overconfident from banging an 8 point the day before
Yeah, that pisses ya off doesn't it? 125 yards is a fair distance but you always think that from a rest, it should be easy. I'm no David Crockett but to miss that close in was pretty disappointing for me. Hell, maybe the scope needs a bit of tweaking; next time my son is home, we're gonna try it from the stand on a target at the feeder. But, it's probably all on me, just flat-out missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
I got this one with a Fal a couple years ago. I also shot one with my M14 that same year. ...no photos of that one as he wasn't much larger than my beagle........He sure looked bigger at 100 yds...

If you some extra guns to help thin out your hog heard I can be over there on a moments notice...

That looks like a big f*cker. Nice looking rifle too. Hey, I appreciate the generous offer. If things ramp up to the number seen last year, I may need some help!
Old May 31, 2015, 14:25   #18
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

I think I am going out there with that K-31 this afternoon. It's a heavy beast but I can rest it on the window sill so that help a lot. It's very accurate with that Bushnell Elite 3200, but follow-up shots are kinda slow since I shoot it left-handed. I'll probably only get one good shot anyway...
Old May 31, 2015, 22:01   #19
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Just a little update. I was in the box blind from 5:20 to 8:25 and did not see a single pig. The meadow was full of young deer however. There were four young spikes (velvety little nubs) and a couple does. It was fun watching the young bucks rear up on their hind legs and paw at each other. There should be a good crop in the coming years. All seemed about the same size and several walked so close to the open windows on the blind that I could've shot them with a pistol, or thrown a rock and hit them. Man, it was hot in that box too. I kept thinking of "Cool Hand Luke" for some reason.

Oh, those wascally pigs!

On another note, I have 4 1/2 days of "teaching" (not much getting done about now...) left for this year! I'm glad for that.

Last edited by Texgunner; May 31, 2015 at 22:42.
Old June 01, 2015, 14:09   #20
hangfire762
Registered

I'll be out on Wednesday just across the river. It'll be a bit warmish...but my freezer has room for 1 small-mid sized piggy. Since brush is thick, I'll try my Hungarian M44. I just hope the Cotton mouths/water moccasins stay away. They're everywhere it seems.
Old June 01, 2015, 17:52   #21
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I missed a black bear like that. It was probably 20 yards away. I know I shot right over his back. I shot, he (she) kind of hunched down, and then ran like hell, never to be seen again. I couldn't believe I missed at that close range. So my excuses are it was my dad's rifle and I was in a crappy stand....LOL...still pisses me off that I missed a bear the first year I went hunting for one. I hunted several more times and never got a shot. They were coming into the bait at night I think but this was the years before trail cameras...although I did have trail timers using fine thread....remember those..pain in the A$$ but they did serve their purpose....

Old June 01, 2015, 17:56   #22
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangfire762 View Post
..... I just hope the Cotton mouths/water moccasins stay away. They're everywhere it seems.
Damn, I hate have to be worrying about those damn critters....notice in my picture those aren't camo pants, they are snake chaps....hot as hell but I would much rather suffer a little from "hotpants" than I would from "snakeankles"...
Old June 01, 2015, 20:59   #23
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Well G3, to "err" is human after all, and I guess so is to "miss", lol. I imagine we've all been there at one time or another. Like you said, I've had a hard time finding the pigs out at my place and when I finally did, damned if I didn't miss one. But I guarantee you I will kill some yet.

Hangfire, watch out for those cotton-mouths. I know the rains and floods have flushed them out of their dens. They are probably pissed. Be careful, and post pics of those pigs that you kill!
Old June 04, 2015, 06:07   #24
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
Texgunner it looks like you've got some fine hunting rifles to boot. I knew I had seen that Fal of yours around here some where with that low fitting scope and all. Good luck on your next hunt and Thanks for the info.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2015, 08:15   #25
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d762nato View Post
Texgunner it looks like you've got some fine hunting rifles to boot. I knew I had seen that Fal of yours around here some where with that low fitting scope and all. Good luck on your next hunt and Thanks for the info.
Thanks all around! Here's another pic of some lever guns, oh, a-huntin' we will go! (in my best Elmer Fudd voice...)

Old June 04, 2015, 08:31   #26
ALBPM
Registered

FALaholic #: 16249
That sure is a nice pair of savages you have there...

All your SAR 4800 are belong to us..........NM Thugs

I am not the "Knuckle Dragging Century Building Thug" ce !! I am Alby the "Fabio Thug"!!!!
ALBPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2015, 10:38   #27
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBPM View Post
That sure is a nice pair of savages you have there...
Thanky Paul! I love that old rifle...but, you already knew that right? I'm sort of looking for one in .300 Savage caliber now.
Old June 22, 2015, 08:22   #28
hangfire762
Registered

It's been muddy as hell but, I decided to go out and see what was moving. I found this fella in a group of 6 that included a sow with 8 piglets...all red in color. About a month ago I walked up on a big white and black boar, popped him in the shoulder/shield with my browning HP. I might have done better throwing a tennis ball. He just trotted off. I'll find him again I hope because he's a mounter. This one though...is perfect for the BBQ pit. [IMG][/IMG]
Old June 22, 2015, 13:31   #29
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

That's a good solid hit, probably took his heart, right?

Geez, I just noticed, did you blow away the right front leg or was he already missing it? Wow! Get him on the pit brother!
Old June 22, 2015, 13:42   #30
hangfire762
Registered

Yes, It took his heart. I was slightly elevated so the bullet passed right through it and almost took the leg clean off. I ate the backstrap last night and have the rest ready to slow cook this weekend. That was the most fun I've had stalking hogs in a good while. The big sow with the piglets almost ran me over when I shot. I had to jump up and yell at her to get her to change course.
Old November 21, 2017, 18:11   #31
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
As good as any thread for the "Hog Apocalypse."

Slaughterfests need to be scheduled.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/anim...s-taking-texas
Story is online now   Reply With Quote