The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old December 15, 2012, 20:02   #1
hongkong3
Double G's Personal Troll

FALaholic #: 3565
Milrad or MOA scope reticle?

I'm going to put a SWFA 10x42 SS scope on my new Remington 700 SPS and I can't decide on which reticle to get, MOA or Milrad. I have zero experience with either system and will be learning from scratch. The MOA looks simpler but it looks like the dots would obscure more of the target while the Milrad has open hash marks. I need to make a decision quickly so Santa can deliver it in time.
Lest we forget Gougered (gg erd), German, adj. 1. Slang. Bilked: cheated. 2. To be deceived or tricked. 3. To be deprive of some right or something legally due. 4. Deliberate misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth 5. To be deceived by a stratagem, often of a petty, crafty, or dishonorable kind.
hongkong3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2012, 18:35   #2
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
I looked and didn't see an MOA model @ SWFA. They're all mil/mil?

I don't see why anyone would want to use anything other than mil for ranging or varying distance shooting. The ballistic tools and training available are geared for mil.

I just wish they offered .25 or .5 intervals as well as the .1.
Fn/form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2012, 16:39   #3
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have the SWFA SS 10x42 Mil-dot mounted on my FN bolt gun. I have no problems with the "dot" obscuring the targets or view out to 600 yds. Can't say about further cause I haven't put it on a longer range. Yet

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2012, 00:42   #4
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
I don't have a SS mildot anymore, but this is a good way to learn MILs or MOA. If you are a beginner to scope ranging, this is good.

http://www.shooterready.com/lrs.html

British General Hugh Percy
14 August 1742 10 July 1817
longhair51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2012, 20:17   #5
EricCartmanR1
Hobbyist among Operators
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20092
Matching reticle is better. Miss 1.3 mils low? No problem.. just go 1.3 mil up on the turrets to get dead on!

Mil/Mil (mil reticle with mil knobs) is very common these days.

MOA/MOA is what I prefer only because I have my drop table memorized in MOA. I have 3 NightForce with MOA/MOA. I think NF are the least expensive scope with MOA/MOA, and Nightforces are not cheap!

Though I have to say, I also have no problems with Mil/MOA (Mil reticle with MOA knobs). Most scopes back in the day were Mildot with 1/4 MOA knobs. I have been shooting so long with mismatch retilce/knobs that it is natural for me. I can mad adjustments without calculations.

I just remember 4 values:

1 mil ~ 3.5 MOA ~ or 3 MOA + 2 clicks
.5 mil ~ 1.75 MOA ~ 2MOA - 1 click
.25 mil ~ 1 MOA
.1 mil ~ 2 clicks

Now because I memorized the 4 values above, I can easily adjust with Mil Reticle. Someone can spot for me in Mils and say.. "you are 2.2 Mils too low"... so I just remember... 1 mil + 1 mil + .2 mils... or 3.5 MOA + 3.5 MOA + 1 MOA.

Basically I will turn my knobs up 3.5 MOA (for one Mil) + another 3.5 MOA (for the 2nd Mil) + go up another 1 MOA (for .25 mils).

In total I will be going up 8 MOA, but I do not want to calculate.. just do! and guess what? If you do the real calculations, where 1 mil = 3.6 MOA... you will see that my estimation were almost dead on! As 3.6MOA x 2.2 = 7.92 MOA!
EricCartmanR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2012, 11:51   #6
hongkong3

Santa left me a SWFA 10x42 SS scope, Milldot Master and a EGW standard base, I'm a very happy camper!
Lest we forget Gougered (gg erd), German, adj. 1. Slang. Bilked: cheated. 2. To be deceived or tricked. 3. To be deprive of some right or something legally due. 4. Deliberate misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth 5. To be deceived by a stratagem, often of a petty, crafty, or dishonorable kind.
Old December 27, 2012, 19:23   #7
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Which reticle does yours have?
Fn/form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012, 10:20   #8
hongkong3

I got the mil dot reticle because the other was way too busy for my simple needs. I'm amazed at how clear the optics are on this scope especially at that price point, can't wait to get it mounted.