Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old October 02, 2018, 09:46   #1
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Important Skills for a Post-Hitech world

A 50 minute video of a craftsman rebuilding a pair of high quality Red Wing boots.
This is the sort of skill that will once again be in demand when our current throw away society hiccups.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2018, 10:18   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I watched about 8 minutes of it and got to thinking. I am 66 and have five pair of good boots so the odds of me living are slim but if I do I won't wear out a pair of boots in the years I have left.

Do you guys adjust your preps with the amount of years you have left? Guys here post huge rooms full of ammo but if you are young you may need all that but odds are old guys won't ever use that much.
Old October 02, 2018, 13:00   #3
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Or you can just take the Lazy Man's path.

Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2018, 19:15   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Bawana J. I for one take into account my age and possibility of leaving a hoard for others later on. But, when it comes to food and ammo, I have taken the advice given to me by a Nam vet long ago. "Food and ammo are the first things to run out when you need them the most. So make sure you have plenty when you need them. Resupply always happens AFTER things calm down. "

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2018, 20:52   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Bawana J. I for one take into account my age and possibility of leaving a hoard for others later on. But, when it comes to food and ammo, I have taken the advice given to me by a Nam vet long ago. "Food and ammo are the first things to run out when you need them the most. So make sure you have plenty when you need them. Resupply always happens AFTER things calm down. "
I have two pair of Redwing boots and one of those haven't been worn other than to break them in. My boot situation is really good and like I said at 66 there isn't much chance of wearing out boots. Spares are in case I get some stolen. Add to that my other shoes and I should not ever go without good foot covering.

I really like the video, it's very informative and worth the time just so you can understand what it will take for a working man to keep his boots going in a time of crash.

My preps I rotate but I look at my longevity along with what I think will happen before refills. My plan is to trade for goods I need and I keep enough stock for that. Ammo I decided rather than leave a bunch for the enemy that kills me I am converting to buying bullets,powder and primers so they won't just leave with a huge pile of loaded rounds.

I don't want to leave a pile of ammo to be used to kill my neighbors. If I have time I will destroy my powder and primers.
Old October 02, 2018, 22:20   #6
Wil-C
Registered

FALaholic #: 17357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
I have two pair of Redwing boots and one of those haven't been worn other than to break them in. My boot situation is really good and like I said at 66 there isn't much chance of wearing out boots. Spares are in case I get some stolen. Add to that my other shoes and I should not ever go without good foot covering.

I really like the video, it's very informative and worth the time just so you can understand what it will take for a working man to keep his boots going in a time of crash.

My preps I rotate but I look at my longevity along with what I think will happen before refills. My plan is to trade for goods I need and I keep enough stock for that. Ammo I decided rather than leave a bunch for the enemy that kills me I am converting to buying bullets,powder and primers so they won't just leave with a huge pile of loaded rounds.

I don't want to leave a pile of ammo to be used to kill my neighbors. If I have time I will destroy my powder and primers.
Loaded ammo & things of that nature?Keep enough around for immediate use, and some for future use. The rest? Keep it where it can't be found easily. Only immediate trustworthy other than yourself, should know where that is.
Old October 02, 2018, 22:32   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil-C View Post
Loaded ammo & things of that nature?Keep enough around for immediate use, and some for future use. The rest? Keep it where it can't be found easily. Only immediate trustworthy other than yourself, should know where that is.
I don't expect a gunfight to last long. I won't seek to kill others so it will be others seeking to kill me. Probably by ambush during the collapse and if I escape it then it will be with just what I can carry. So I leave the rest that I might need as components and I can load them if I have time and a need.

I have friends who would give me a gun and plenty of ammo but it depends on the times whether you can move without being killed outside your home.

If I thought I was losing the fight and have the time then there won't be anything left but a warm fire. Again, how bad will it get? How many pair of boots will it take?
Old October 03, 2018, 09:41   #8
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]

This is why I decided to start this thread. Most of us here over a certain age remember a time when there was not the plentiful goods we have enjoyed for the last few decades.
Times in our youth when we had one pair of shoes, one jacket, one sweater.......

If things go sideways with the economy for whatever reason, things may return to those ways again.

Even though the topic of main concern is CW2, things may play out very differently.

If you guys find vids that are about the old ways when quality over quantity was the way people thought, post them here for us to share.

Old October 03, 2018, 09:46   #9
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Here is another on the old way to make a bucket. If you have the time, it's a good vid on coopering and just what is involved.

Old October 03, 2018, 10:09   #10
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
This is why I decided to start this thread. Most of us here over a certain age remember a time when there was not the plentiful goods we have enjoyed for the last few decades.
Times in our youth when we had one pair of shoes, one jacket, one sweater.......

If things go sideways with the economy for whatever reason, things may return to those ways again.

Even though the topic of main concern is CW2, things may play out very differently.

If you guys find vids that are about the old ways when quality over quantity was the way people thought, post them here for us to share.
Great stuff, thanks for the videos.
Old October 05, 2018, 21:57   #11
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
I never figured I'd be wanting for a bucket in a post apocalyptic world.

Plenty of abandoned buckets and shoes to be found among the non-survivors.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2018, 22:47   #12
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

Plastic buckets only last a few years
Old October 05, 2018, 23:16   #13
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:

You must be near sighted.

Yes, under certain collapse scenarios there will be a time when the remaining folks can salvage the leftovers. But those easy pickings will not last forever.

But hey, these times of plenty will probably go on forever and only get better, right?

Old October 06, 2018, 13:53   #14
Tak
Registered

Quote:
You must be near sighted.

Yes, under certain collapse scenarios there will be a time when the remaining folks can salvage the leftovers. But those easy pickings will not last forever.

But hey, these times of plenty will probably go on forever and only get better, right?
A typical plastic bucket left outside will probably outlive most of the members here by a few years at least.

The 'easy pickins' will outlast most of us. If we're talking mass extinction, seriously.... want of buckets and work boots aren't going to be the problem.

Also - think of all the pickins to be found at the local trash mountain. enough to last a long time. The tribe that rules the local trash mountain has a massive amount of resources at hand, just a little digging required.
Old October 06, 2018, 17:28   #15
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:
A typical plastic bucket left outside will probably outlive most of the members here by a few years at least.

The 'easy pickins' will outlast most of us. If we're talking mass extinction, seriously.... want of buckets and work boots aren't going to be the problem.

Also - think of all the pickins to be found at the local trash mountain. enough to last a long time. The tribe that rules the local trash mountain has a massive amount of resources at hand, just a little digging required.
Apparently you find fault with the examples that I posted, and yet you can only criticize, rather than post something interesting to share.
Good thing you have it all figured out. Enjoy your time at the local landfill. May you rule there with wisdom.

Old October 07, 2018, 21:30   #16
Tak
Registered

It's nothing against you or anyone who enjoys the craft of bucket-making.

I just think if there is time to be spent on a post apocalyptic skill, bucket making is far down the list.

far, far down the list.

But if one has mastered all the more important skills, then I guess bucket away !

Old October 07, 2018, 23:53   #17
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:
It's nothing against you or anyone who enjoys the craft of bucket-making.

I just think if there is time to be spent on a post apocalyptic skill, bucket making is far down the list.

far, far down the list.

But if one has mastered all the more important skills, then I guess bucket away !

Still waiting for your 'contribution' of a post high tech skill.
That is why I started this thread, for others to also post what they may think will be a relevant skill.
Maybe quibbling is your contribution. It may be a valuable skill, someday.

Old October 08, 2018, 11:48   #18
Bawana jim
Registered

This doesn't fit in as a skill but should be taught to everyone in your group, the power of observation. Being able to look at people and their preps to see who they are as a threat level is going to be very important.
Old October 08, 2018, 21:29   #19
Tak
Registered

Quote:
Still waiting for your 'contribution' of a post high tech skill.
That is why I started this thread, for others to also post what they may think will be a relevant skill.
Maybe quibbling is your contribution. It may be a valuable skill, someday.
oh, my mistake - I didn't know you were asking for contributions.

All my post-high tech world skills are pretty mundane. I remember my Boy Scout training. I guess even that puts me a step ahead of a lot of people in our modern world.
Old October 08, 2018, 22:48   #20
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
But what if your new boots fail right out the door...or a week after that....never say never. Perfect example, my Zamberlan hunting boots, they are a great brand, Italian for those unfamiliar. The model I had is that chosen by the SF types here for Afghanistan/Iraq (they went on to be issue to anyone deployed). Retail, about $450 a pair (I have three pairs, a working pair, a pair broken in and a NIB pair). The working pair were getting pretty shabby so when we went to New Zealand hunting last year I figured I would use the broken in pair, they had not been flogged, around town and my practice hikes with pack and rifle for the trip. Got dropped in and an hour after the chopper departed the sole on the right boot de-laminated 1/2 way up a ridge. Best laid plans of mice and men I guess... fortunately I was able to make use of the single tube of superglue my mate had with him. And they got through the trip....but still, you can't plan for that but you still need a clue as to how one will fix it.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2018, 23:22   #21
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:

If things go sideways with the economy for whatever reason, things may return to those ways again...
Amen. It's coming.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 06:58   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Took two pair of nice boots to the cobbler last week for minor issues. Have a dozen pair of new running shoes and half dozen pair of good serviceable boots not counting specialized shoes and boots for mountain climbing, linemans/tower work, etc. Also have the same adhesives my local cobbler uses to reglue soles on boots and shoes along with a custom made last from a company that used to make custom mountaineering boots, ski boots and rock climbing shoes. Went to Salt Lake City and had molds made of my feet plus accurate measurements and guy made all my boots on the lasts that were exact copies of my feet. When he retired bought my lasts and if the local cobbler was inaccessible could use the last to clamp soles back down and reglue after wire brushing them to get a good bonding surface. Cobbler showed me how he reglued loose soles.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 16:18   #23
Tak
Registered

Funny I just fixed a pair of 20 year old or so workboots with a tube of construction adhesive. Rest of the boot was just fine but the sole came apart from the shank or whatever. Sole delaminated in the middle. Jammed the gap full of adhesive and now getting more miles out of them

Now there's a skill...how to make your own adhesives in a post-collapse world. Always need some good glue, right ?
Old October 09, 2018, 16:25   #24
Bawana jim
Registered

Get too much water on leather boots and they can't be repaired. I oiled mine constantly with mink oil to keep water out of the leather and that stopped the cracking. Maybe learning how to make mink oil would be a good skill to learn
Old October 09, 2018, 22:25   #25
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Funny I just fixed a pair of 20 year old or so workboots with a tube of construction adhesive. Rest of the boot was just fine but the sole came apart from the shank or whatever. Sole delaminated in the middle. Jammed the gap full of adhesive and now getting more miles out of them

Now there's a skill...how to make your own adhesives in a post-collapse world. Always need some good glue, right ?
got any pine trees near you?
Old October 11, 2018, 08:54   #26
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
got any pine trees near you?
Perzactly!