The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 27, 2018, 22:31   #101
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Also if you're redoing/replacing gaskets, spend a few bucks and get an actual gasket scraper tool instead of using some old screwdriver. The surfaces you need to clean don't take kindly to be gouged
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2018, 23:07   #102
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Also if you're redoing/replacing gaskets, spend a few bucks and get an actual gasket scraper tool instead of using some old screwdriver. The surfaces you need to clean don't take kindly to be gouged
Yup, for those old gas engines that used cork gaskets I like an air drill with a stiff wire brush.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2018, 08:34   #103
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
PLASTIC scrapers, solvent, and patience for gasket removal.

No metal objects or abrasives.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2018, 16:53   #104
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
PLASTIC scrapers, solvent, and patience for gasket removal.

No metal objects or abrasives.
When I'm up to my ass in Cummins, Cat, or Detroit diesel truck engines... Power tools get 'er done. And done very well. Maybe they aren't for the rank and file types, A man has to know his limitations.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 10:16   #105
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Got together with the mechanic yesterday and again today after he worked up the total cost of the rebuild.
For the grand sum of $5,800.00 I will have a completely rebuilt engine and a completely rebuilt C6 transmission, I slapped down on the go button this morning. The mechanic will pick the truck up at my house and in about three weeks it will be finished.
I asked about the rpms at 70 mph being 3,000 and he told me that I most likely had 410 gearing in the rear end. We discussed changing that out to 355 down the road but it is doable, not cheap but less than an overdrive unit. This truck is a backup truck for my main unit which is a 2006 F-350 4 wheel drive with a 6.0 diesel. The only thing I tow anymore is my 16.5 foot fishing boat which the big Ford does like it is not even there. If required Tan Man, the 84 unit, can pull it easily too I am sure.
So with a completely rebuilt engine and transmission and all the things that have already been replaced I am thinking this 1984 pickup should last me the rest of my life, I plan on being here a bit longer than my current 69 years.

Just because, here is the list of things done so far;

Brakes including master cylinder and slaves
Tires
Shocks
Wheel bearings
Power steering unit
Steering box
Tie rods and ball joints
Two new 19 gallon fuel tanks with internal pumps
Head liner
Replaced cracked windows
Replaced all window and door seals
Battery
Heater core

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.

Last edited by Sagerider; October 30, 2018 at 13:50.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 15:28   #106
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Based on my limited experience that sounds like a pretty fair price for both the engine and trans.

you'll have a virtually 'new' truck when you're all done and none of the crazy problems newer vehicles have -enjoy it
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 15:46   #107
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
Got together with the mechanic yesterday and again today after he worked up the total cost of the rebuild.
For the grand sum of $5,800.00 I will have a completely rebuilt engine and a completely rebuilt C6 transmission, I slapped down on the go button this morning. The mechanic will pick the truck up at my house and in about three weeks it will be finished.
I asked about the rpms at 70 mph being 3,000 and he told me that I most likely had 410 gearing in the rear end. We discussed changing that out to 355 down the road but it is doable, not cheap but less than an overdrive unit. This truck is a backup truck for my main unit which is a 2006 F-350 4 wheel drive with a 6.0 diesel. The only thing I tow anymore is my 16.5 foot fishing boat which the big Ford does like it is not even there. If required Tan Man, the 84 unit, can pull it easily too I am sure.
So with a completely rebuilt engine and transmission and all the things that have already been replaced I am thinking this 1984 pickup should last me the rest of my life, I plan on being here a bit longer than my current 69 years.

Just because, here is the list of things done so far;

Brakes including master cylinder and slaves
Tires
Shocks
Wheel bearings
Power steering unit
Steering box
Tie rods and ball joints
Two new 19 gallon fuel tanks with internal pumps
Head liner
Replaced cracked windows
Replaced all window and door seals
Battery
Heater core
Why not? 5,800 for a freshened up V8 and trans is a good deal. Then you have something you can wrench on that is metal and not plastic junk. The last motor I did was a 2012 audi A4. $7,000. Fresh long block installed. 110,000 miles Cylinder #3 40lbs of compression. That is a four cylinder motor. You are getting a very fair shake in my estimation.
Old October 30, 2018, 16:25   #108
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
I'd say you made the right choice.

As for determining a rear-end ratio you can ballpark it by simply jacking the rear end off the ground, and as you rotate a rear tire 1 revolution count the number of times the drive shaft rotates. It will get you close enough that you can determine the difference between a 4.10:1 and a 3.55:1.

An easy way to get taller gearing is to go to taller tires. You can effectively change your final gear ratio rather dramatically going from a 30" tall tire to something in the 33+ range. If you look here you'll see that if you have 4.11:1 gears and go from a 29" tall to a 33" tall tire you'll drop your RPMs near 400 revs going down the highway at 65mph, the same as going down to a 3.55:1 ratio. Being a fresh engine you'll likely not notice a loss in acceleration. Now this only helps going down the road. If you did a lot of start and stop driving it takes a bit more gas to get up to speed, but once there it starts paying for itself. In other words it's worth it for majority freeway driving, not so much tooling around town. LITERALLY YMMV.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 18:17   #109
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post

As for determining a rear-end ratio you can ballpark it by simply jacking the rear end off the ground, and as you rotate a rear tire 1 revolution count the number of times the drive shaft rotates. It will get you close enough that you can determine the difference between a 4.10:1 and a 3.55:1.

An easy way to get taller gearing is to go to taller tires. You can effectively change your final gear ratio rather dramatically going from a 30" tall tire to something in the 33+ range. If you look here you'll see that if you have 4.11:1 gears and go from a 29" tall to a 33" tall tire you'll drop your RPMs near 400 revs going down the highway at 65mph, the same as going down to a 3.55:1 ratio. Being a fresh engine you'll likely not notice a loss in acceleration. Now this only helps going down the road. If you did a lot of start and stop driving it takes a bit more gas to get up to speed, but once there it starts paying for itself. In other words it's worth it for majority freeway driving, not so much tooling around town. LITERALLY YMMV.
Solid advice. Gearing makes a huge difference and tires are a wear item. I had a 2.0 dohc vw rabbit. It was light. I changed the ring and pinion in the trans and put the tallest 5th gear from a diesel into it. The car was violently fast to 120 mph. Changing from a 50 to a 60 mm sidewall changed how many times I had to shift before i hit 60. I am thinking on a different plane.

Last edited by Raggedwhole!; October 30, 2018 at 19:33.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2018, 02:11   #110
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post

I like this idea! Just wonder if it would look too weird?
Where I live out in the hinterlands a bit most driving is done at 60 + mph.
Roughly forty miles to Bozeman, over the mountains and through the woods. About the same to Livingston but flat down in a valley. We will see what the future holds. I am retired and in no hurry to go anywhere. The only time I do 70 mph is a short 1 or 2 mile section of I-90 depending on which end of Livingston I am going to.
I will keep you all up to date as things progress. Thank you all for suggestions and even the banter. Hopefully this mechanic does good.

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Old October 31, 2018, 07:31   #111
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
I like this idea! Just wonder if it would look too weird?
Weird? Nah... quite the opposite... But I might be a bit jaded, my 2016 F-250 is lifted 5" and riding on 37" tires. For the record it was the WIFE'S idea!

We're sitting at home a bit over a year ago, Hurricane Harvey is blowing for the 3rd day. We were high and dry, but her dad was stuck on an island due to flooding around him, her brother and his family were evacuated due to fears of a rising river, my brother and his gf were stuck on the second floor of their apartment, and the wife out of the blue says "we need to lift the truck!" Uh... ok. I did.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 21:26   #112
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Weird? Nope. As long as you have enough travel in your suspension for 3" more of tire. You don't want rubbing.
Old November 05, 2018, 21:31   #113
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Where is my shop truck? I lifted it. I don't really remember so don't quote me. 09 F 150. Bigger tires next.
Old November 07, 2018, 12:36   #114
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Got Tan Man to the mechanic yesterday so it is in his hands now.

Old November 07, 2018, 16:53   #115
TnHawk-45
Registered

FALaholic #: 13892
You know of course you are going to have to post pictures after its restoration.
TnHawk-45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 20:15   #116
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I canít seem to get with the program of posting pictures, stupid I guess.
I am on Imgur but canít figure it out. I donít know the difference between a url and a purple duck.
I am not computer illiterate by a long shot but the internet is another story, I donít have a clue.