The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old January 15, 2018, 16:06   #1
Bertellione
Registered

FALaholic #: 66658
Value questions on parts

I'm getting ready to put some parts up for sale that are extras or from builds I've lost interest in. I have some question on the value of a couple uppers I want to get rid of.

1) M4A2 upper - has same forge marking as colt but no C A2 carry handle with A2 type sights and M4 cuts from the factory not done by Buba had a barrel mounted but never fired.
2) Colt 9mm upper - A1 style carry handle slick side stripped never had a barrel mounted.

I'm not looking for ridicule from those who get upset when some one asks a question about value of something. I have been trying to look them up but I'm looking to see what you guys think they are worth. Haven't had much luck finding them on the Internet.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 15, 2018, 16:29   #2
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
1. Does the receiver have any Colt acceptance stamps forward of the ejection port door? Is the color more black than grayish/charcoal? Any markings above the gas tube hole?

An original USGI Colt forged M4A2 receiver (A2 with M4 feed ramps and appropriate Colt markings) and grey color can fetch $400+ (In excellent condition). They are rare birds.

Colt used a number of M4A2 type receivers over the years for their Gov't carbine rifles. Later ban era examples had no Colt forge markings.... but in my experience these receivers had thin anodized finishes that ranged from black to purple. Some had M4 ramps added after they were anodized. Of course, so did other manufacturers. Top end for a nice quality receiver with black anodization would be $225. Original Colt forge markings (such as CM or AF) and dense anodization will bring more.

2. $200-$250.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018, 18:19   #3
Bertellione
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
1. Does the receiver have any Colt acceptance stamps forward of the ejection port door? Is the color more black than grayish/charcoal? Any markings above the gas tube hole?

An original USGI Colt forged M4A2 receiver (A2 with M4 feed ramps and appropriate Colt markings) and grey color can fetch $400+ (In excellent condition). They are rare birds.

Colt used a number of M4A2 type receivers over the years for their Gov't carbine rifles. Later ban era examples had no Colt forge markings.... but in my experience these receivers had thin anodized finishes that ranged from black to purple. Some had M4 ramps added after they were anodized. Of course, so did other manufacturers. Top end for a nice quality receiver with black anodization would be $225. Original Colt forge markings (such as CM or AF) and dense anodization will bring more.

2. $200-$250.
The M4A2 only has the foundry symbol that looks kind of like an A on the carry handle in front of the rear sight. I know there are a lot of manufactures including colt that use forging from the same foundries. It is charcoal in color and is in NOS condition other than I screwed a barrel on and immediately removed it when I noticed it was M4 cut. The cuts do have anadizing on them from what I can tell, defiantly not raw aluminum. I have another with A1 type rear sight and M4 cuts that is dark black and its cuts look anodized as well?

As far as the Purple receivers go I've always been told and read that FN turn purple as far as standard A2 receivers go. I do know that all of the manufactures use other manufactures parts when they are low on stock. Example I have a Colt A2 barrel with both Colts cage number as manufacture and DPMS cage number as supplier to fill a gov contract.
Old January 15, 2018, 20:11   #4
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

Yeah, the Internet is full of BS opinions based upon limited experience.

I have ha does literally thousands of FN rifles in my career that had spent multiple months, if not years, in sandboxes overseas, that are just as black as the day they were manufactured (other than expected wear n' tear).

I've seen plenty of purple Colt receivers, as well as FN.

I'd wager that your receiver was not Colt contract, if it lacks any stands in the anodization forward of the ejection port door (near the barrel but threads on the right (ejection port side). The split A is a common forge marking, forged by Anchor Harvey.
Old January 15, 2018, 21:41   #5
Bertellione
Registered

What do you think the value would be with out the extra markings I'm not trying to advertise it as Colt because can't prove it, and I didn't buy it thinking it was just don't want to ask too much for it.
Old January 15, 2018, 22:37   #6
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

I gave you quotes of my educated opinion. That said, I am only one opinion.

Asking price should be adjust by how motivated you are to move the items. $10 can mean the difference between an item sitting for weeks or selling NOW. Typically, the longer an item sits at "X" price, the more reluctant someone will be to pay the asking price.

Asking upper end prices for AR parts on a forum that specializes in FAL rifles might be a stretch. There are AR guys here, but you will receive more interested traffic on Gunbroker or AR15.com.

pix are a necessity, especially when asking upper end prices.

If I offered to be items here, I would "ask" (room for negotiation) $175 for the generic M4A2 receiver and the same price "firm" for the Colt 9mm receiver (takes a specialized buyer.... someone looking to use on a 9mm build or convert it to 5.56, but the Colt forging holds clout).

Again, I am a single opinion. Do your research. The information is there at your finger tips.

Last edited by lockjaw; January 15, 2018 at 22:43.
Old January 16, 2018, 02:23   #7
Bertellione
Registered

Thanks for the quotes and I am a member of several forums but always offer what I want to sell to the members here first then list on the other forums. You stated the number of FN 16s you have seen do you by chance have any detailed photos of the engravings for an A2?
Old January 16, 2018, 08:31   #8
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertellione View Post
Thanks for the quotes and I am a member of several forums but always offer what I want to sell to the members here first then list on the other forums. You stated the number of FN 16s you have seen do you by chance have any detailed photos of the engravings for an A2?
There are plenty of images of USGI FN M16a2 rifles on the Internet. There wasn't special or unique about them.