Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old January 09, 2018, 10:42   #1
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Colt S.D.N. MEXICO build finished

I just returned home after having the flash hider pinned, finished the build this morning.

I picked up three NIB S.D.N. MEXICO Colt 6920 rifles a few months ago, two to stash away, and one to play around with.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. I picked up a couple "excellent" surplus Colt M4 uppers from a fellow FALfiles member. Turns out that the FSB (front sight block... the triangle thingy with the front sight in it) on one of the uppers was cocked to the right, and the FSB pins had been knocked out and reinserted a couple times and the timing was jacked up. The Colt 14.5" M4 barrel was otherwise pristine.

I had an early Daniel Defense M4 FSB handguard NIB and a PRI folding gas block sitting in the ADD bin for a future project. Also had an early Smith Vortex made specifically for M4 barrels lips fits over the slightly smaller diameter of USGI Gov't profile barrels at the muzzle. The bolt of PRI folding gas block is locked down with bolts (tried and true per US Spec-Ops), so this solves the timing issue... making lemon-aid from lemons. The Vortex, when pinned, gives me an exact 16" barrel to keep the boogeyman away.

Everything else is stock, other than an old deployment LMT stock and Grip-Pod, and GM contract A1 pistol grip (my reference, they are fatter than other contracts). I use KAC USMC rear sights on all my rifles... they are excellent quality sights and can be found online for around $50. No brainer. Surplus Aimpoint M4S on a Kinetic base (these rock!). Also swapped in a used Colt tick selector, the rifle didn't have one originally (helps make over-zealous range safeties more content).

Turned out to be a nice no BS "working" carbine. I cannot wait to hit the range and break her in.

Last edited by lockjaw; January 09, 2018 at 11:04.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018, 13:56   #2
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtman View Post
I like your carbine. Going thru a carbine phase myself right now.
I have carried carbines for 22+ years. What is a "carbine phase?"
Old January 15, 2018, 10:46   #3
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtman View Post
Its a fairly recent thing for me getting from 20 " down to 14.5 " had been using rifle length for so long. I stopped and dabbled in midlength's for a bit and that was not disappointing at all
I'm not a fan of midlength on a 14.5" barrel, I have found that they can be a bit unforgiving with some loads if the gas port is too small. If the gas port is opened up enough to be reliable with the same loads a 14.5" carbine barrel will digest, it is a little overgassed for hotter rounds.

Midlength is good to go for a 16" barrel. One of my favorite rifles uses Larue 16" PredatAR barrel with midlength gas system, dialed in with a SLR adjustable gas block hidden under a 14" PRI handguard. She runs on a rifle buffer (A1 stock).