FALaholic #: 2223
So who built a 6.5 Grendel ?

How are you liking the cartridge ?
Old January 18, 2018, 19:04   #2
The Pigpen
Registered

FALaholic #: 51732
In for opinions

I keep going back and fourth on getting one.
Old January 18, 2018, 19:19   #3
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I had an upper and stupidly sold it because I sold the gun and 300 BO upper to a local member. Now that I have a couple more rifles I'm planning on getting another. Main drawback was ammo cost but I really liked the cartridge. Like having a miniature Ljungman M42 with a top rail. If the ballistics are to be believed it cuts the wind and hits almost as fast at 600 yards as the 7.62 NATO, albeit with a lighter bullet.
Old January 18, 2018, 21:38   #4
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Iím in the process of building a 6.5 Grendel. Iíve had my eye on it for more than a decade and just starting my build. Iím putting together one with top quality components not to worried about cost but building for performance. What has slowed me down on it is some of the parts I want have been out of stock and some times my gun money runs a little low.

So far what Iíve put together is the following:
Barrel is from AR15preformance.com itís a 20 inch long 5R rifle that is melonited
I also just ordered the bolt from them and a muzzle break/flash hider
The upper is a LAR OPS-4 side charging upper.
The lower is a LAR Grizzly both where new old stock.
The lower parts kit was from CMMG
Stock is a LMT sopmod take off milspec.
Iíve got a 30 mm Leupold VX3 4-16x50LR scope in a Burris PEPR. Iíd prefer a different scope for it but as of right now I canít afford the Nightforce of Leupold Mark 4/6 scope that I am wanting.

I still need to get a free float forend, gas tube, and gas block. I was looking at an adjustable gas block but in doing some reading and research on which gas block to use, I came across several articles that say an adjustable gas block isnít needed. A couple of them were written/published by Alexander Arms who may know a thing or two about it.

So hopefully by the end February Iíll have it out on the range for a break in and test session.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 09:02   #5
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

I'm waiting on an 18" barrel to show up from Classic Firearms.
On paper, it looks to be a decent 500 to 600 yard Coues deer caryridge.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:25   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I being a knuckle head. Building a 270 AR and TAC 6/6mmx6.8, easier to form brass at inexpensive price and get specialty jobs done.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 10:07   #7
fly2.0
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
After 2 range trip's , Everyone i know is selling the upper's they built .

Six8 or 300 BO maybe ?

*** The Ignore List Works Great ***
*Can't See it,Can't Hear it,And don't have to look at it*

fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 11:36   #8
Louis
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 72519
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2.0 View Post
After 2 range trip's , Everyone i know is selling the upper's they built .

Six8 or 300 BO maybe ?
I built an 11.5" 6.5 grendel with a Sabre Defense barrel and Syrac sdjustable gas block. I know the barrel length isn't going to maximize the cartridge ballistics but in my experience it's a great compromise for a higher ballistic coefficient ar sbr.

The 123gr ELD's do a hell of a job harvesting pigs. Haven't hit a deer yet with it but I'm sure I will. I read all the debate threads over the other cartridges, this is the one that appeals to me the most. Just my two pennies.
Old January 19, 2018, 11:59   #9
fly2.0
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I built an 11.5" 6.5 grendel with a Sabre Defense barrel and Syrac sdjustable gas block. I know the barrel length isn't going to maximize the cartridge ballistics but in my experience it's a great compromise for a higher ballistic coefficient ar sbr.

The 123gr ELD's do a hell of a job harvesting pigs. Haven't hit a deer yet with it but I'm sure I will. I read all the debate threads over the other cartridges, this is the one that appeals to me the most. Just my two pennies.
I'd like to see the 11.5'' .
Sabre had a Mil.contract at one time , and had some great barrels , Don't see them much these days .

Old January 19, 2018, 12:54   #10
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Sabre had a Mil.contract at one time , and had some great barrels , Don't see them much these days .
It was originally a 16" carbine length barrel that was sent to Adco iirc to be cut, crowned and threaded at 11.5. The gas block dials it in and it shoots really well. Brass is in good shape too after being fired. It's a fun little rig. I'll try to post a pic or two up this evening.
Old January 19, 2018, 14:17   #11
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Form 1 lower, pvs14 and eotech make a hell of a swine slayer. I admit, still haven't picked a can to run on this setup.

Last edited by Louis; January 19, 2018 at 14:23.
Louis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 14:53   #12
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Very nice !
Old January 19, 2018, 15:09   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

Form 1 lower, pvs14 and eotech make a hell of a swine slayer. I admit, still haven't picked a can to run on this setup.
Hard to express how happy I am with my AAC 762SDN and 762SDN-6. They work on anything from a rimfire to 308. Know a guy runs one in limited fashion on 300 Win Mag but I would not risk blowing mine up. The SDN is a tad quieter but the SDN-6 is shorter and in real world conditions difference in sound pressure is not really noticeable unless shooting same cartridge, same length barrel guns side by side with long and short mounted on each. Still it's more of difference in tone than dB level. Have two of each and never had a problem with the quick change latching mechanism but I am careful in tallinn and removing, don't spin on and off haphazardly.

Also have an AAC Hybrid 46. Rated 9mm to 45 acp for pistol and 5.56 to 45-70 on rifle. Can swap end caps for about any thread pattern or caliber. Know a guy running one on a 460 Weatherby Magnum and not blown up yet and know people running them on rimfire. Has a nice tone on a 1911 in 45 and works well on 5.56 and have it on my 7mm Practical at present. Thus far no belted magnum from 7mm to 338 I have put mine on has blown it up.

Have a Ti Rant 45 and run on everything from rimfire to 5.56. It lives predominantly on a 1911 host and when run wet it's 41 dB sound reduction is impressive. Can run major power factor 45 or 40 Smith and sounds like a 22 short. It's a heck of a can and while not rated for 6.5 I have run mine on a 6.8 enough to determine it's worth having the adapters needed handy if carrying it on my pistol and have a 6.8 or 5.56 rifle. Have several dedicated rimfire, 5.56 cans and Form 1 cans.

Used a bunch, what is your main goal? Noise reduction or size? There are some that are small and quiet if want to spend $1,000. Have a SIG 762 which is a bargain for what it does. Every Dead Air Sandman model have used were good and on handguns the best all around IMHO are my Osprey 9 and Osprey 45. They are so light do not even notice them on end of pistol.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 19, 2018, 16:49   #14
fly2.0
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Now That will put the Hammer down ^^^^^^^

Very Very Nice set up ........

Old January 22, 2018, 21:27   #15
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

My Grendel Barrel will be here Wednesday. Hopefully we'll be putting it together this weekend.
Old January 25, 2018, 20:34   #16
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattermatic View Post
My Grendel Barrel will be here Wednesday. Hopefully we'll be putting it together this weekend.
Get the barrel?
Old January 25, 2018, 22:04   #17
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
I built a 16 inch carbine and a 24 inch dedicated varmint gun, I have since sold both, the ammo was too expensive, it did not perform as well as my 6.5 swede with similar projectile weights, after building and shooting ARs in 7 different calibers, the only one I have kept is one in 7,62x39 that is set up to shoot steel cased ammo that I shoot in my VZ58.
if you have a love for the AR platform and want a 6.5 go for it..
Old January 26, 2018, 00:31   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I built a pair of 6.5 AR's and not sure why I tore them down except to rob parts for other builds. Tried to consolidate AR cartridges for a short period and now gone crazy again. Doing the TAC 6 aka 6mm-6.8 and 270 AR to go with 5.56, 22 Nosler and lots of 6.8's. A 458 SOCOM is in my future and will see what turns up. My issue with 6.5 is due to inherent accuracy of cartridge can't see doing a build with less than a Shilen, Douglas or Pac-Nor air gauged blank and that gets spendy. Of course looking at four new Noveske barrels so spendy shouldn't be an excuse.
Old January 26, 2018, 00:50   #19
HighRatMaster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 19296
Mine has a BHW barrel and is a real tack driver. It likes Hornady 123 gr. SST bullets. So far I've shot 8-10 coyotes and a deer. Passed clear through a small buck shot broadside in the ribs at 225 yards and left an 1-1/4" exit hole. It has ballistics very similar to my 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine in 6.5x54.

It weighs about 10lbs+ and I regret making it so heavy, I'd like to screw together another and keep it under 7-1/2lbs.

It doesn't matter what you miss them with.
HighRatMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 08:59   #20
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Yeah, I got my barrel.
Fitted it all together, and really like it so far.
Looks good, and feels great. Scope mount is the perfect height for my face on a socom style stock, and the keymod free float feels slim enough.
E Lander mags are made in Israel.
Topped it with a 3.5-10x40, Leupold tactical. Looking at printer ballistics, it should be a 500 - 600 yard, deer killer.
I have some once fired brass inbound, and need to find a set of dies.
I'm hoping to get 120 gr ballistic tips to shoot well.
Old January 26, 2018, 09:04   #21
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Oh, and those that think it's too pricey to shoot, reload, use it like a bolt gun, or blast with 5 buck a box, wolf.
The box of sst ammo I bought, was 29.05, out the door. I'm not blasting with this stuff !
Old January 26, 2018, 10:28   #22
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Oh, and those that think it's too pricey to shoot, reload, use it like a bolt gun, or blast with 5 buck a box, wolf.
The box of sst ammo I bought, was 29.05, out the door. I'm not blasting with this stuff !
Exactly. Bolo for sales on factory ammo. I picked up more than a few boxes of 123 eld and sst from primary arms for $16.99 I believe. They put it on sale from time to time.
Old January 26, 2018, 10:40   #23
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Sportsman's Warehouse, sells a bulk ammo can of Grendel ammo. It's 200 rounds for $139 iand change.
I'm waiting for it to come back in stock, so that if at least it doesn't shoot well in my gun, I'll have brass for reloading.
Old January 26, 2018, 10:52   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Sportsman's Warehouse, sells a bulk ammo can of Grendel ammo. It's 200 rounds for $139 iand change.
I'm waiting for it to come back in stock, so that if at least it doesn't shoot well in my gun, I'll have brass for reloading.
70 cents a round and have reloadable brass after its fired is cheap. People that complain about ammo prices must not own any Tubbs DTAC, Absolute 2 Hole, 6XC, Lehigh in any cartridge or bullet design, etc. It costs money to go exotic and fact that 6.5 is becoming so common is tempting me to drink the kool-aid again. Just have to get through the four Noveske, four ARP and two White Oak Armament barrels still unbuilt. Hard to justify buying more high dollar barrels with $3,500+ in just a few premium barrels. Have so many bargain and factory take off barrels have stopped counting.

Have friend shooting a lot of premium 6.5 ammo through a Tikka that doesn't reload and saving it all for me. If he hands me a few hundred match cases sometime in future sure would have to buy a barrel for them. Good luck and make some stuff splatter. We have had a lot of snow and spraying fans of fresh red blood across it makes it look even prettier.
Old February 03, 2018, 07:54   #25
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I just ordered a 500rd case of wolf 100gr, $150 to the door from targetsportsusa. Can't beat that for plinking.
Old February 03, 2018, 09:08   #26
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

I'm not going to shoot any Wolf through mine.
I've done this one up as a precision shooter. I'm hoping it shoots at least moa.
Brass has come in, and 120 gr Ballistic tips, are scheduled for delivery today.
I still need dies, and more powders of different flavors.
Old February 03, 2018, 09:47   #27
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Let's try this....
Old February 03, 2018, 20:46   #28
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Let's try this....
Very nice! I hear you, mines just a truck gun. Never shot it past 300m. Glad it's all coming together.
Old February 03, 2018, 23:24   #29
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR