FALaholic #: 2223
So who built a 6.5 Grendel ?

How are you liking the cartridge ?
Old January 18, 2018, 19:04   #2
The Pigpen
Registered

FALaholic #: 51732
In for opinions

I keep going back and fourth on getting one.
Old January 18, 2018, 19:19   #3
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I had an upper and stupidly sold it because I sold the gun and 300 BO upper to a local member. Now that I have a couple more rifles I'm planning on getting another. Main drawback was ammo cost but I really liked the cartridge. Like having a miniature Ljungman M42 with a top rail. If the ballistics are to be believed it cuts the wind and hits almost as fast at 600 yards as the 7.62 NATO, albeit with a lighter bullet.
Old January 18, 2018, 21:38   #4
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Iím in the process of building a 6.5 Grendel. Iíve had my eye on it for more than a decade and just starting my build. Iím putting together one with top quality components not to worried about cost but building for performance. What has slowed me down on it is some of the parts I want have been out of stock and some times my gun money runs a little low.

So far what Iíve put together is the following:
Barrel is from AR15preformance.com itís a 20 inch long 5R rifle that is melonited
I also just ordered the bolt from them and a muzzle break/flash hider
The upper is a LAR OPS-4 side charging upper.
The lower is a LAR Grizzly both where new old stock.
The lower parts kit was from CMMG
Stock is a LMT sopmod take off milspec.
Iíve got a 30 mm Leupold VX3 4-16x50LR scope in a Burris PEPR. Iíd prefer a different scope for it but as of right now I canít afford the Nightforce of Leupold Mark 4/6 scope that I am wanting.

I still need to get a free float forend, gas tube, and gas block. I was looking at an adjustable gas block but in doing some reading and research on which gas block to use, I came across several articles that say an adjustable gas block isnít needed. A couple of them were written/published by Alexander Arms who may know a thing or two about it.

So hopefully by the end February Iíll have it out on the range for a break in and test session.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 09:02   #5
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

I'm waiting on an 18" barrel to show up from Classic Firearms.
On paper, it looks to be a decent 500 to 600 yard Coues deer caryridge.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:25   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I being a knuckle head. Building a 270 AR and TAC 6/6mmx6.8, easier to form brass at inexpensive price and get specialty jobs done.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 10:07   #7
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
After 2 range trip's , Everyone i know is selling the upper's they built .

Six8 or 300 BO maybe ?

********** The Ignore List Works Great **********
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 11:36   #8
Louis
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 72519
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2.0 View Post
After 2 range trip's , Everyone i know is selling the upper's they built .

Six8 or 300 BO maybe ?
I built an 11.5" 6.5 grendel with a Sabre Defense barrel and Syrac sdjustable gas block. I know the barrel length isn't going to maximize the cartridge ballistics but in my experience it's a great compromise for a higher ballistic coefficient ar sbr.

The 123gr ELD's do a hell of a job harvesting pigs. Haven't hit a deer yet with it but I'm sure I will. I read all the debate threads over the other cartridges, this is the one that appeals to me the most. Just my two pennies.
Old January 19, 2018, 11:59   #9
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I built an 11.5" 6.5 grendel with a Sabre Defense barrel and Syrac sdjustable gas block. I know the barrel length isn't going to maximize the cartridge ballistics but in my experience it's a great compromise for a higher ballistic coefficient ar sbr.

The 123gr ELD's do a hell of a job harvesting pigs. Haven't hit a deer yet with it but I'm sure I will. I read all the debate threads over the other cartridges, this is the one that appeals to me the most. Just my two pennies.
I'd like to see the 11.5'' .
Sabre had a Mil.contract at one time , and had some great barrels , Don't see them much these days .

Old January 19, 2018, 12:54   #10
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Sabre had a Mil.contract at one time , and had some great barrels , Don't see them much these days .
It was originally a 16" carbine length barrel that was sent to Adco iirc to be cut, crowned and threaded at 11.5. The gas block dials it in and it shoots really well. Brass is in good shape too after being fired. It's a fun little rig. I'll try to post a pic or two up this evening.
Old January 19, 2018, 14:17   #11
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Form 1 lower, pvs14 and eotech make a hell of a swine slayer. I admit, still haven't picked a can to run on this setup.

Last edited by Louis; January 19, 2018 at 14:23.
Louis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 14:53   #12
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Very nice !
Old January 19, 2018, 15:09   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

Form 1 lower, pvs14 and eotech make a hell of a swine slayer. I admit, still haven't picked a can to run on this setup.
Hard to express how happy I am with my AAC 762SDN and 762SDN-6. They work on anything from a rimfire to 308. Know a guy runs one in limited fashion on 300 Win Mag but I would not risk blowing mine up. The SDN is a tad quieter but the SDN-6 is shorter and in real world conditions difference in sound pressure is not really noticeable unless shooting same cartridge, same length barrel guns side by side with long and short mounted on each. Still it's more of difference in tone than dB level. Have two of each and never had a problem with the quick change latching mechanism but I am careful in tallinn and removing, don't spin on and off haphazardly.

Also have an AAC Hybrid 46. Rated 9mm to 45 acp for pistol and 5.56 to 45-70 on rifle. Can swap end caps for about any thread pattern or caliber. Know a guy running one on a 460 Weatherby Magnum and not blown up yet and know people running them on rimfire. Has a nice tone on a 1911 in 45 and works well on 5.56 and have it on my 7mm Practical at present. Thus far no belted magnum from 7mm to 338 I have put mine on has blown it up.

Have a Ti Rant 45 and run on everything from rimfire to 5.56. It lives predominantly on a 1911 host and when run wet it's 41 dB sound reduction is impressive. Can run major power factor 45 or 40 Smith and sounds like a 22 short. It's a heck of a can and while not rated for 6.5 I have run mine on a 6.8 enough to determine it's worth having the adapters needed handy if carrying it on my pistol and have a 6.8 or 5.56 rifle. Have several dedicated rimfire, 5.56 cans and Form 1 cans.

Used a bunch, what is your main goal? Noise reduction or size? There are some that are small and quiet if want to spend $1,000. Have a SIG 762 which is a bargain for what it does. Every Dead Air Sandman model have used were good and on handguns the best all around IMHO are my Osprey 9 and Osprey 45. They are so light do not even notice them on end of pistol.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 19, 2018, 16:49   #14
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Now That will put the Hammer down ^^^^^^^

Very Very Nice set up ........

Old January 22, 2018, 21:27   #15
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

My Grendel Barrel will be here Wednesday. Hopefully we'll be putting it together this weekend.
Old January 25, 2018, 20:34   #16
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattermatic View Post
My Grendel Barrel will be here Wednesday. Hopefully we'll be putting it together this weekend.
Get the barrel?
Old January 25, 2018, 22:04   #17
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
I built a 16 inch carbine and a 24 inch dedicated varmint gun, I have since sold both, the ammo was too expensive, it did not perform as well as my 6.5 swede with similar projectile weights, after building and shooting ARs in 7 different calibers, the only one I have kept is one in 7,62x39 that is set up to shoot steel cased ammo that I shoot in my VZ58.
if you have a love for the AR platform and want a 6.5 go for it..
Old January 26, 2018, 00:31   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I built a pair of 6.5 AR's and not sure why I tore them down except to rob parts for other builds. Tried to consolidate AR cartridges for a short period and now gone crazy again. Doing the TAC 6 aka 6mm-6.8 and 270 AR to go with 5.56, 22 Nosler and lots of 6.8's. A 458 SOCOM is in my future and will see what turns up. My issue with 6.5 is due to inherent accuracy of cartridge can't see doing a build with less than a Shilen, Douglas or Pac-Nor air gauged blank and that gets spendy. Of course looking at four new Noveske barrels so spendy shouldn't be an excuse.
Old January 26, 2018, 00:50   #19
HighRatMaster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 19296
Mine has a BHW barrel and is a real tack driver. It likes Hornady 123 gr. SST bullets. So far I've shot 8-10 coyotes and a deer. Passed clear through a small buck shot broadside in the ribs at 225 yards and left an 1-1/4" exit hole. It has ballistics very similar to my 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine in 6.5x54.

It weighs about 10lbs+ and I regret making it so heavy, I'd like to screw together another and keep it under 7-1/2lbs.

It doesn't matter what you miss them with.
HighRatMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 08:59   #20
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Yeah, I got my barrel.
Fitted it all together, and really like it so far.
Looks good, and feels great. Scope mount is the perfect height for my face on a socom style stock, and the keymod free float feels slim enough.
E Lander mags are made in Israel.
Topped it with a 3.5-10x40, Leupold tactical. Looking at printer ballistics, it should be a 500 - 600 yard, deer killer.
I have some once fired brass inbound, and need to find a set of dies.
I'm hoping to get 120 gr ballistic tips to shoot well.
Old January 26, 2018, 09:04   #21
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Oh, and those that think it's too pricey to shoot, reload, use it like a bolt gun, or blast with 5 buck a box, wolf.
The box of sst ammo I bought, was 29.05, out the door. I'm not blasting with this stuff !
Old January 26, 2018, 10:28   #22
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Oh, and those that think it's too pricey to shoot, reload, use it like a bolt gun, or blast with 5 buck a box, wolf.
The box of sst ammo I bought, was 29.05, out the door. I'm not blasting with this stuff !
Exactly. Bolo for sales on factory ammo. I picked up more than a few boxes of 123 eld and sst from primary arms for $16.99 I believe. They put it on sale from time to time.
Old January 26, 2018, 10:40   #23
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Sportsman's Warehouse, sells a bulk ammo can of Grendel ammo. It's 200 rounds for $139 iand change.
I'm waiting for it to come back in stock, so that if at least it doesn't shoot well in my gun, I'll have brass for reloading.
Old January 26, 2018, 10:52   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Sportsman's Warehouse, sells a bulk ammo can of Grendel ammo. It's 200 rounds for $139 iand change.
I'm waiting for it to come back in stock, so that if at least it doesn't shoot well in my gun, I'll have brass for reloading.
70 cents a round and have reloadable brass after its fired is cheap. People that complain about ammo prices must not own any Tubbs DTAC, Absolute 2 Hole, 6XC, Lehigh in any cartridge or bullet design, etc. It costs money to go exotic and fact that 6.5 is becoming so common is tempting me to drink the kool-aid again. Just have to get through the four Noveske, four ARP and two White Oak Armament barrels still unbuilt. Hard to justify buying more high dollar barrels with $3,500+ in just a few premium barrels. Have so many bargain and factory take off barrels have stopped counting.

Have friend shooting a lot of premium 6.5 ammo through a Tikka that doesn't reload and saving it all for me. If he hands me a few hundred match cases sometime in future sure would have to buy a barrel for them. Good luck and make some stuff splatter. We have had a lot of snow and spraying fans of fresh red blood across it makes it look even prettier.
Old February 03, 2018, 07:54   #25
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I just ordered a 500rd case of wolf 100gr, $150 to the door from targetsportsusa. Can't beat that for plinking.
Old February 03, 2018, 09:08   #26
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

I'm not going to shoot any Wolf through mine.
I've done this one up as a precision shooter. I'm hoping it shoots at least moa.
Brass has come in, and 120 gr Ballistic tips, are scheduled for delivery today.
I still need dies, and more powders of different flavors.
Old February 03, 2018, 09:47   #27
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Let's try this....
Old February 03, 2018, 20:46   #28
Louis
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Let's try this....
Very nice! I hear you, mines just a truck gun. Never shot it past 300m. Glad it's all coming together.
Old February 03, 2018, 23:24   #29
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Old February 24, 2018, 17:30   #30
v188
Registered

FALaholic #: 1154
Just got mine set up today. 12.5 inch. Weighs about nothing. I'll have to weigh it, but it's definitely my lightest upper. Not sure which suppressor muzzle device yet, might stick with simple dead air Ti screw on.

Scope is n FedEx. Got my LaRue mount in today. Bought E-Lander mags from Brownell. Bought 500 cheap Wolf, but also got several boxes of various ELD, SST, Federal, etc.

Holding off shooting to zero until snow melts or a calmer day. Not sure if I'll put it on a 300BO pistol lower or on the SBR lower.

It's all good. Should be a coyote killing machine. Going to try it out on prairie dogs this spring. Prob use cheap Wolf for P dogs.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:40   #31
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Built up a 6.5 a long time ago, broke a bolt in first 200 rounds, was about the time had decided to cull the number of odd AR cartridges so sold the barrel and used it to build one of my many 6.8 spc II's. Have been drinking the wildcat/oddball kool-aid hard again of late as too many cool cartridges have come along. After doing the reading learned that the designer of the 6.5 Grendel advises 18" to 20" as optimum length and does not advise any barrel less than 16". Most specs find on velocity are from 24" test barrels or bolt rifles. Here are some extrapolated through software on shorter 6.5 Grendel barrels.

Though still sitting on my TAC 6 (6mm Valkarie Improved) kit yet to build have obtained a SIX5 SOCOM (6.8/6.5) setup as a little easier to just neck cases down using a set of 6.8 bushing dies to neck down 6.8 to 6.5 then trim with no fire forming. Chamber design calls for cases to be trimmed to 1.615" and most 6.8 bullets with cannelures can be seated full length to cannelures and still fit in Cavity Back magazines. Yes, another mag to stock but if shooting 6.5 Grendel need some anyway as allow up to 2.36" OAL rather than 2.26" the most generous standard off shelf magazines I have found and better feeding for us oddballs. Also will know that the 20 round "waffle mags" are for the 6.5 and even in dark will be able to tell by feel if have a 6.8 or 6.5 mag in hand. So here I go again against the grain and here is a quote from ARP about this new varient.

Quote:
If you want a 6.5mm but are concerned about bolt life and feeding the SIX5 is an option.
This is a 6.5mm wildcat based on the 6.8 SPC case that uses stronger bolts and feeds better from the 6.8 mags. These barrels can be very accurate (1/2MOA) with 100gr TTSX, 120gr TSX, 100 Amax, 120 Nosler, 100 Nosler Patition, 95 Vmax. The 100gr bullets at 2800fps are a sweet spot for a case the size of the Grendel or 6.8. They will out perform any of the 123gr bullets out of the Grendels 2500fps all the way to 800yds. These 16" barrels are perfect for those that love the Barnes 100gr TTSX bullets and want a shorter barrel to hunt with.

6.8 bushing dies with a .284-.288 bushing and trimming the case to 1.610" is needed to reload. The chamber has a 0.297" neck 1.5 degree throat angle for better accuracy and to prevent splitting the case necks from over working the brass. Do NOT have to fire-form just size trim and load.
Here are the ballistics that ARP give for the SIX5 SOCOM from 16" barrel:

123 Amax 2.310" OAL SSA brass, CCI450 primer
8208-28.5gr=2401fps>56400psi
2520-30gr=2456fps>57800psi
2200-26gr=2410fps>58200psi
N530-27.5gr=2475fps>57500psi
CFE-32gr=2493fps>54500psi---max fill
Xterm-29.5gr 2508fps>59422psi

100gr Amax-best at 2.295 OAL drop at least 1 gr from max
N530-29.5gr=2788fps>59700psi---29 max>27gr apx 1"
8208-29.8gr=2684fps>56669psi--max fill> 28gr apx 1"
N200-27.5gr=2738fps>59460psi max
RE7-26.5gr=2705fps>58200psi
2200-28gr=2720fps>59730psi max
10X-28gr=2763fps>57500psi
H335-31gr=2747fps>56100psi
CFE-33gr=2697fps>52000psi--max fill
X-term 31.5gr 2775>56388psi>28gr apx 1"

Charts I pulled for the 6.5 Grendel show a calculated velocity by software using highest B.C. bullets available at max speed as opposed to ARP's real life measurements. ARP is showing most loads as sub MOA and fair number of sub 1/2 MOA real life from their 16" five groove helical rifled melonite barrel. So are able to load bullets to full design length, use stronger and more available 6.8 magazines but will have to be darn careful not to drop 6.8 marked cases that have been wildcatted to 6.5 into a 6.8 spc II rifle. Plan to do a very proprietary Gun Skins wrap on the SIX5 SOCOM and the magazines dedicate for it as have some Cavity Back mags already use for seating 22 Nosler bullets out to longer OAL but no way 22 Nosler round should close and fire in a SIX5 or vice versa.

The TAC 6, SIX5 SOCOM, 22 Nosler, 270 AR, 5.7◊28, 458 SOCOM, 6.8 spc II and then fast twist 6.8 spc II subsonic builds along with a fleet of 5.56 varients is going right back where I found myself a few years ago except no 20 calibers. Doubt I will build the 20 Tacticals or 204 Rugers back ever but do have another wildcat or two that are peaking my interest, don't have a quarter bore in the mix and have always loved quarter bore rifles. Why do we keep trying to squeeze a nickle to dimes more performance out of AR 15's when we have AR 10's to create bastards? Oh yeah, for when we get too old and feeble to handle a full size battle rifle.
Old March 11, 2018, 10:34   #32
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Finished Grendel.

Heres a 135 yard group, with 120gr ballistic tips, over re15.
I know, odd distance, but its what a friend had set up already, and i got there right before dark.

Stickers on the elander mags.

Old March 11, 2018, 17:04   #33
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Using 5.56 or 6.8 mags for the Grendel? Like how you marked the mag clearly and color coordinated enough parts to reduce chance of mixing up mags and rifles. Have you tried using any Cavity Back magazines so can seat bullets out farther yet? Seems to close up groups on my rifles that use long projectiles. Also helped with 90 grain VLD's in 5.56.

Built a 16" ARP with 5R rifling today. Used an AAC 51T Ratchet Mount Suppressor adapter, Ergo low profile adjustible gas block, topped it off with an ATN X Sight 3-15x day/night vision and used a drop in Hyperfire trigger. Once squared the front of the receiver was silly how fast it went together with drop in trigger as usually spend 90 minutes tuning triggers. Have a pile of 16" ARP 6.8 barrels bought off discussion groups and from ARP figured may as well burn one of the barrels, the ATN X Sight, Ergo gas block and Hyperfire since recently stacked them deep during some recent super sales.

Trying to get some parts into rifles as my parts lockers are bursting at seams as well as vaults. Going to get another vault this week so the 6.5 SOCOM, TAC 6, 270 AR and 458 SOCOM can all get twisted up and then piddle with the pile of Noveske barrels while wait for some Form 1's and Form 4's to come back. The AR build pile is getting out of hand but way people are protesting and acting like they want poodle shooters banned want to get as many binary rifles and specialty builds done and on the books soon as possible. Especially some more military oddball clones.

Wish Midway, Brownells, Red Barn Armory and all their pals would loose my email address. Optics Planet is another, opened a box today and had five scopes from last clearance email they sent and have a email from CDNN telling me to call my rep have some dealer deals so cheap can't publish, have to call. Bet it's on all the Colt Competition parts they bought. Grabbed a pair of their complete Colt build kits already so other than me screwing them together rather than those folks in Texas they are 100% all Colt marked parts. If they dangle a super deal on Pony parts, especially lowers and uppers I will get totally stupid.

What the heck is up with not only bargains, but now dirt cheap top line bling and wildcats.
Old March 11, 2018, 19:50   #34
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Those are Elander, made in Israel, 17 round, Grendel mags.
The throat is way short in this barrel.
I just got done loading 7, and prepping 50.
I shot today, just as the wind and rain started, and think I'm almost there with my coal. These rounds are 2.185.
Old March 11, 2018, 19:58   #35
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

Working on it.....
First 3, shot great.
Ran down, and back, to verify group, because the wind and rain started.
Shot 4, is ohkay......
5, and 6... were me, all my stuff and me were getting wet, and i rushed them.
Load is 29.0 grains of re15, and 120 gr ballistic tips. Should be, about 2400 or just a tad faster, out of my 18" barrel.
Im going to get a can of ar comp next to try.
Old March 29, 2018, 11:34   #36
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

MidSouth has Hornady premium 6.5 and 6mm Grendel brass on sale.
Old March 29, 2018, 17:57   #37
HighRatMaster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
MidSouth has Hornady premium 6.5 and 6mm Grendel brass on sale.
Every once in a while I get lured in by MidSouths sale ads. When I click on 'checkout' and see their ridiculous shipping charges I remember why I don't buy from them anymore.

Old March 29, 2018, 21:18   #38
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I purchased 3,000 223 projectiles, 500 pieces of brass, two books, pair of each 5.56, 7.62◊39, 7.62◊51 broken shell extractors, assorted AR parts and some other widgets with no sales tax and $18.50 shippimg. Spread out over the entire purchase was not a big deal. Buy enough at a whack and ot works out. Palmetto now charges sales tax for us Georgia clients so stopped buying as combined with shipping was eating my lunch. Since had retail business license, federal ID number and state sales & Use Tax number made me a dealer to get my business back.
Old March 29, 2018, 22:10   #39
HighRatMaster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Probably shipping to the other side of the country is the reason for the variance in shipping cost. To ship me 100 empty Grendel cases they charge $18, not reasonable afaic. Or it could be I'm in CA, I've noticed several times sellers jack the price to CA because they resent the people and place. It's common to see gunbroker ads that won't sell so much as a broken buttplate screw to anybody in CA.

Old March 29, 2018, 23:00   #40
shortround
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1503
Starline also carries their own line of 6.5 Grendel cases now.

Old March 30, 2018, 05:35   #41
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have been a Mid South customer since the 1970's. I was about 15, called and they sent me a print catalog with order sheets in back so I opened my first checking account and would fill out the orders, call and verify price, fill out check, drop in mail and my stuff showed up. For a kid with no drivers license and only allowed to drive dirt roads was only one place I could drive inside parents rules that sold reloading supplies and their stock was always thin. End of 1998, early 1999 when the Y2K scare was beginning and knowing if computers went kaput we were screwed and being raised a prepper/hoarder by my grandmother and dad went haywire.

Called Midway and ordered about 80 pounds of powder, 150,000 primers and 110,000 223 projectiles plus other items on a single order. At the time think it was my first single reloading order that reached several thousand dollars. Checking their prices is habit, often call and actually negotiate with them and they have some AR parts and primer prices currently am considering another mega order. Going to call today and see feel out a sales rep and see for the first time if can use my retail business license, federal ID number and state sales & use tax number with a corporate card for payment (my accountant will hate it as has to separate it off onto personal) to open a dealer account and dig deep.

CDNN, Palmetto and half dozen others have opened me in past few months along with smaller companies had accounts for years. Need to build a big hedge against this proposed 50% ammo tax in the Family Protection Act getting kicked around on Capital Hill which has always been a fear of mine. Not only did I place several huge reloading orders in 1999 purchased three pallets of ammo. Truck driver had a time backing in the gate and then rolling three pallets of ammo onto his lift gate, dropping at garage door and watching me roll each in with pallet jack he was baffled. That was when wife was relatively new and didn't know what stuff cost and thought such was normal. She didn't even blink when a dozen milspec flack jackets, 24 Israeli gas masks and 144 filters showed up in an order from my uniform vendor.

Still have loaded IMI M855 green tip from the Y2K panic and till placed the MidSouth projectile order was going to load next batch of 5.56 using projectiles from that order. (no green paint at time on component M855) Have a strong suspicion that BATF will ban the stuff again after dot mil finished surplusing their warehouses and upgrading to M855A1 which think will only hit market as pull downs if that is allowed. Last time it went to three bucks a round and why tapped Midway so hard buying more couple weeks ago when dropped price so low. Am not running out of ammo or components when we have next Sandy Hook that lasts twice as long.
Old April 01, 2018, 19:19   #42
NGCSUGrad09
Registered

FALaholic #: 67771
I've had one for about a year now. It's a fun gun that has more thump than a 5.56, but it's not a 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor by any means. It's an honest 800 yard rifle with 1000 yard potential depending on conditions. While ballistic coefficient is nice, the 123s are only rolling at about 2500 fps. I think if someone made a more long range optimized 110ish bullet in 6.5 it would really shine.

I dropped a Georgia deer in the fall with my Grendel, it went a little further than others with Creedmoors or .308s, but still killed the deer humanely.

In all, after my experiment with the Grendel, I'm looking at wildcatting down to a 22 Grendel with the goal of running 75gr ELDs over 3k fps.. which are some real numbers compared to the 123s at 2500.
NGCSUGrad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2018, 23:05   #43
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGCSUGrad09 View Post
(Trim)
In all, after my experiment with the Grendel, I'm looking at wildcatting down to a 22 Grendel with the goal of running 75gr ELDs over 3k fps.. which are some real numbers compared to the 123s at 2500.
Looked at TAC 6/6mm-6.5? 6.8 spc II necked down to 6mm. Can use some very high BC bullets in the 100 to 115 grain range. What would be the advantage of wildcatting a 6.5 Grendel to .224 over the 22 Nosler? Have two 22 Nosler and have barrels for another pair. While they are throat burners, anytime we create an overbored cartridge throat life is going to take a hit. Have one Nosler with a nice barrel for varmint eradication and use 69 grain SMK's. Find I get good ballistic coefficient from the 69's and can get a bit more speed out of them. It's a fine line we dance when balancing decimal points of improved/decreased ballistic performance against moderate gains and loss of velocity.

The second 22 Nosler has a shorter and more economical 18" barrel which was cheap enough to smoke it if need arises to run the rifle to fast for too long. After working up my load put together 650 M855A1 current new generation dot mil projectiles designed when the ISIS, Taliban and other middle east terrorists began common use of body armor, much of which Nobama abandoned in Iraq for them to take by the truck load. 5.56 M4 with M855A1 will punch through a Level 3 plate but break into multiple pieces in unprotected flesh shredding it's victim which makes it an effective armor piercing and none barrier round for taking out zombies. Loaded in 22 Nosler can find another 350 fps out of these little pills.

Running quick calculations (approximate BC, published velocity for 5.56 M855A1 vs actual measured velocity of 22 Nosler loaded stiffly) and the 22 Nosler has almost exactly 50 less inches of drop at 700 yards. Online calculator I used which has proved reasonably accurate in past shows the 5.56 with 203" drop at 700 yards with bullets subsonic and 22 Nosler 154" drop and still supersonic. At 800 yards there is a 76" difference in drop between 5.56 and the 22 Nosler is transonic indicating based on actual temperature and altitude could still be slightly supersonic but could have just dropped through the sound barrier. That second pass through the sound barrier and bullet destabilizes more.

Can buy loaded 22 Nosler, unprimed new brass and even some once fired is popping up occasionally. My rough calculations on point blank range for human size target with the M855A1 in 22 Nosler is 594 yards. Round it off to 600 for conversations sake as I trimmed up the vitals area vertically three inches so basically center up your zombie fro 25 feet to 600 yards squeeze and get a hit without doping shot but some off the top head range guestimation and it's an 800 yard run and gun rifle but have about same energy at 800 yards as a 380 acp at the muzzle.

Errr... Out of gas, as at 900 yards were at muzzle energy of a CCI Stinger. And why we have AR 10's to play Leggos with, 6mm Creedmore is a great paper puncher at 1,000 yards just like my 6XC's in AR 10 but not so,great for killing game humanely. Now letting zombies bleed out and reduce their fighting effectiveness while they bleed it has the reach. The 6.5 Creedmore has some punch but not the range but been killing a lot of coyotes out to 650 yards with authority with it in a Tikka T3. Just so much to squeeze out of a poodle shooter. 270 AR is not a super long range cartridge but has some punch, 224 Valkyrie is already a turn key round and how much different would a 6.5 Grendel necked to 224 be? Basically no matter which way you turn it are running out of enough physical room to do much more. Can get decent $200 barrels for Valkyrie from ARP, nice $365 barrels from Lothar and cartridge now has commercial loadings plus dies off the shelf. Yes, I am trying to get all I can out of a poodle shooter in long range accuracy department and also in close range horse power.
Old April 02, 2018, 00:01   #44
HighRatMaster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGCSUGrad09 View Post
That would be called the 22PPC. I built one in '95 for NMC and it worked out great. I shot 80gr. Sierras from the magazine at 200 and 300 yards and 90gr JLKs at 600. I managed a few 790 to 795 scores with it and fired a 200-15x at 600 yards once but cleans with 10-11 x were normal. Placed in the top ten at Camp Perry with it but magazines were a struggle in those days. I used Colt 7.62 bolts and eventually broke two. The year before that I used a 6PPC and after two barrels in 22PPC I went back to the 6PPC. All told I had around 35,000 rounds down range between those two cartridges.

Scott Medesha had a short neck 22PPC with the shoulder moved forward that held a couple of grains more powder than the standard version, it probably could make 3,000 fps with 75s but IIRC the standard 22PPC wont.

Last edited by HighRatMaster; April 02, 2018 at 00:07.
Old April 02, 2018, 08:03   #45
NGCSUGrad09
Registered

FALaholic #: 67771
Having played with some different cartridges, I don't believe the .22 Nosler is ideal for the 75-80gr projectiles as the case is too tall to seat to mag length and not have issues with the powder column either. I also don't like the rebated rim, especially on a gas gun.

The .224 Valkrye might have potential, but the .22 G should have a little more powder capacity to hit the velocity goal.

This project is pretty specific in scope around the 75gr ELD, for a couple field style matches that require a gas gun but aren't regulated to 5.56 chamberings.
NGCSUGrad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2018, 12:03   #46
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Now that is Bad ass ^^^^^^^^^ Good job Splat ....