Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old November 08, 2017, 19:09   #1
TXMoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 73164
Which 10mm 1911

For some strange reason I've been looking at 10mm 1911 ' s

Not sure why, I've never had any real desire to own a 1911 but like a dirty magazine under the mattress I keep peaking at them and it's close to Christmas bonus time

Looking for a recommendation up to $1100 with reliability for use with full power loads
TXMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 19:37   #2
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
I had the rock island tac model with the vz grips, jam o Matic with full power loads, went back to factory (phenomenal customer service by the way) tried heavier springs..just couldn't get her tuned to run the variety of 10mm I load.sold her to a 1911 gunsmith who swore he would fix it and keep it,lol..I like the looks of the ruger and the coonan, but they are pricey. I have the glock m40 long slide 10mm...runs everything I feed her and asks for more, accurate and fun to shoot. 16 rounds of full house 10mm is a hell of a package for a handgun.good luck with the search. Also check 10mm-firearms. Com.....great 10mm sight.
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 19:44   #3
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
My 1911 10mm is a Colt Delta Elite. There have been problems reported with the Delta Elite when using the original Norma 200 grain FMJ load which was rated at 1200 fps from a five inch barrel an 636 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

The main problem was excessive wear and tear on the frame. I have shot the Norma 200 grain FMJ and the Norma 170 grain JHP in my Colt without any problems. As this ammo is to the best of my knowledge no longer produced it isn't a problem anymore. I still have a small quantity of it on my shelves but I restrict it's use and shoot it in my Ruger Buckeye Special NM Blackhawk with the 10mm cylinder.

My favorite factory load is the Winchester 175 grain SilverTip JHP. It isn't quite as warm as the Norma 170 grain JHP and hasn't caused any problems to date.

The Colt is the original 1911 chambered for the 10mm Auto but there are several others. Rock Island Arsenal is one. I believe Springfield Armory has one as well. Then there are the high dollar 1911's that are going to cost a lot more than your $1100 limit. Les Baer, Ed Brown, and Wilson come to mind. Even a second hand one will be pricey unless it has been thrashed to death.

I like my Delta Elite but it is no longer dead stock. It sports a BarSto barrel/bushing, an LPA adjustable rear sight, a Wilson match trigger and a match grade three pound trigger pull, a Wilson extended thumb safety, a Pachmayr flat MSH, and I replaced that absolutely awful plastic recoil spring guide with a steel one and installed a Wilson #22 spring.

I have over $1100 invested and that is at 1988 prices. Oh well, it is only money....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 19:50   #4
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
I have a RIA Tac with the full rail. Right out of the box it really didn't like full house loads. I sent it back and they went through and polished every mated surface, anywhere a cartridge would contact, resprung the entire gun (even the thumb safety) to heavy duty Wolf springs, and shipped it back with wilson combat mags. I have been so impressed with it since. Not a single malfunction, excellent trigger (and not just for a sub $1000 1911...actually excellent), and incredibly accurate. Very positive safety, tight slide/ frame/ barrel fit, and great grips/ checkering.

The two things I don't like about it are rather petty. The finish, and the sharp edges. The finish is a Parkerizing, and while its a good Park, it does wear easy. Since it is a carry gun, it is getting rubbed off in the high wear zones, which look kinda cool unto itself, but Id prefer either a matte stainless (it is all stainless BTW) or a melanite type finish.

The sharp edges are all over on this thing too. Nothing was beveled or rounded off at the factory. Everything is precision fit, but the 90 degree angles and corners are a bit sharp.

In many ways, it feels like a $1500 1911, except for the two i mentioned which remind me it was just $650. But its a steal for what you get at that price.

Since the RIA refinishing, the gun has seen around 2000 rounds, ranging from Armscor to Buffalo Bore. Not a single malfunction since. Accurate to 100 yards (and probably beyond) if I do my job.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 08:42   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
My first 10mm was a Bren 10 purchased when anything Don Johnson used on Miami Vice for even a single episode went viral. Have an older Colt 10mm but neither get shot much. Not a 1911 but my next 10mm will be a SAO SIG 10mm Pro Hunter with integrated red dot and cowitness sights.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 09:51   #6
gw104
Registered

FALaholic #: 33874
I shot one of the new Rugers, seems like a good one.
gw104 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 10:24   #7
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I never had an interest in a .45 1911. Saw too many of them jam, and was less than impressed with penetration tests me and my buddies did against washing machines and car bodies with multiple calibers.

But I want a 10mm as well! I do have a G20, but I need/want another 10mm toy. It will probably either be a Ruger or a Delta Elite, and at this point the Ruger has it beat pricewise.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 11:01   #8
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
Not a 1911... but if I really wanted 10mm, I'd seriously consider this CZ97b clone in 10mm..

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...4%2B1+10mm+4.5

Browse up through the whole EAA line, there are several tricked out versions of the same in 10mm...
Old November 10, 2017, 13:03   #9
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnogger View Post
Not a 1911... but if I really wanted 10mm, I'd seriously consider this CZ97b clone in 10mm..

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...4%2B1+10mm+4.5

Browse up through the whole EAA line, there are several tricked out versions of the same in 10mm...

The hunter is about as premium as you can get for the money in a 10mm. It’s on my short list for a double stack single action 10mm.

A Glock 20, might go bang every time...but elegance it has not. (Coming from someone who loves his 20C and 29). I keep telling myself I prefer steel guns.....but I keep finding myself carrying Tupperware.

Last edited by fuel fire desire; November 10, 2017 at 13:10.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 19:54   #10
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
My RIA has been flawless. Friends have shot it with good results.
Inexpensive also.

Ammo has been all Prvi 170gr. No idea on velocity, but I can manage
hits on an oxy tank at 200yds.

Mines the same as ffd's, but no rail.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 21:10   #11
tobinb
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21731
I have a fondness for the 10mm as an S+W 1006 was the first centerfire pistol I ever shot. They are highly recommended except that mags are somewhat hard to find and more than a little expensive.

I'd go with something for which mags are easy to get, which probably means a 1911 style frame of some sort. And stick with a steel frame, especially with the heavier loads. The EAA (Tanfoglio) from Buds looks like a great deal, and the RIA is a great budget option. As always, though, it needs to be a good fit to the hand.
Old November 11, 2017, 00:54   #12
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Ok, like has been mentioned before the original Colt Delta had frame issues due to lack of or poor heat treatment of the frame which didnít hold up to full House 10mm loads. I think everyone who makes a 10mm 1911 now has learned the lesson.

When I bought my 10mm, I was looking at a used Colt Delta, Glock G20, and a S&W 1006. All were within about $100 of each other, I ended up with the Glock because I liked it better than the others. My Glock has never had a problem with feeding any ammo and didnít show any effects from the 170gr Norma rounds Iíve fired in it.

Now, if I were to be in the market for a new 10mm. I would look at the EAA or a CZ for steel frame gun or a Glock G20/G40
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 07:33   #13
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post
The hunter is about as premium as you can get for the money in a 10mm. Itís on my short list for a double stack single action 10mm.

A Glock 20, might go bang every time...but elegance it has not. (Coming from someone who loves his 20C and 29). I keep telling myself I prefer steel guns.....but I keep finding myself carrying Tupperware.
My buddy has one of these and swears by it good looking all steel gun too. I've had quite a few 10mm 1911's from colt, dan Wesson, nighthawk. I had nothing but trouble with them getting beat up and jamming. I finally got an ugly glock 29 and it eats everything I've tried. I mainly shoot underwood or double tap full power loads. The 1911 is nice but it was designed to shoot a way lower pressure round like the old 45acp. The 10mm tends to beat the hell out of the 1911 for the most part. If you want a steel frame gun I'd go with an old smith 1006,eaa or the like.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 20:14   #14
7mm/08 FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 16650
AMT Javelina
7mm/08 FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 22:04   #15
TXMoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 73164
Thanks for all the feedback, I've tossed this around quite a bit since thus is more of an irrational purchase on my part........a want rather than need

If I'm finally going to get a 1911 it might as well be a by god real Colt, so once they pay us out I'll likely get a non rail Delta Elite

I like the factory ceracoat fde model since shiny doesn't float my boat. How well do ya'll think the coating will stand up?
TXMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017, 17:10   #16
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post

BOINGGGGG!!
Old November 13, 2017, 10:50   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Definitely go without the picatinny rail. Just drags on leather holster too bad and a Colt looks like crap in plastic holster...
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 17:38   #18
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 30456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMoose View Post
I like the factory ceracoat . . . How well do ya'll think the coating will stand up?
Any coating will wear.

The toughest finish out there is hard chrome. Then there's melonite, Ionbond, Ceracoat, Duracoat, and traditional hot blue. Since all coatings will wear you might want to consider how much it will cost to refinish it once the amount of wear exceeds your expectations. Bluing is the cheapest. The price goes up from there. The degree of reflectivity of a finish is dependent on the underlying surface prep.

I have a number of Ionbond pistols but have decided that all future pistols will be blued simply because of cost and ease of re-bluing when necessary. If I want a non-reflective blue surface, I'll media blast the steel before it goes in the tank.

Everyone has their own opinion and experience but I've seen Colt Cerakote pistols that look like 5 miles of bad road within a short period of time on the IPSC circuit. If it's not a working or competition pistol, I'm sure any finish will look good and last a long time. Once you start drawing and reholstering the finish will begin to degrade.
Steve in Allentown, PA is offline   Reply With Quote