Notices

Old May 16, 2018, 17:17   #1
Tazman1602
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 80461
Another Newbie question

Hey all,

First post here although I've been lurking for several months. I have a small shop in Northern Michigan and have built many AR's, dozens of bolt rifles, and "back in the day" sporterized countless Swede Mausers, 98's, and other bolt rifles as well as 1911's.

I have always wanted a FN-FAL. I finally received notice that I've got two Coonan type 3 receivers with ejector blocks installed and carry handle cuts......and know almost nothing about FAL's......now the search for parts kits begin.

I've got several DVD's to watch yet and will be doing so soon, just want to get some basic knowledge first so have been reasearching like crazy. I do know the type 3 is a metric receiver and would appreciate any pointers towards *quality* parts kits you can give. I do have all the required tools and more and am extremely excited about a new build.

My normal hangout is over at the Cast Boolits forum and I have been a bullet caster and reloader for 35 years.

Good to be here and like I said, any pointers towards parts kit supplier would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Art
Tazman1602 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 17:25   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Post a WTB thread in the market place.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 18:01   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
IMBEL parts kit if you want a type 3 build. Coonan receivers are fine. Not the holy grail but will work. An IMBEL kit that is in pretty decent condition shouldnt cost you much more the $500. You are building an FAL. An FN FAL is a specific breed of FALs. Those built by FN entirely including the upper receiver. FYI

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 10:46   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
The first two sources I trust. ARS is a great source of parts, info and gunsmithing expertise.

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.c...-receiver.html

Original matched number kits if you're picky, and that G1 with a new barrel is interesting.

http://gunthings.com/falkits.htm

Imbel kits, but have had no dealings with these companys.
https://whatacountry.com/Imbel-FAL-Parts-Kit.aspx
https://www.sargesmilitarysurplus.co.../imbel-fn-fal/

You can try a WTB ad in the Marketplace.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:55   #5
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Hey, Art - welcome aboard.

Like Meltblow said, you're building an FAL. That being said, the FAL was designed in and propagated around the world from FN in Belgium.

Two versions: "inch pattern" were licensed and built in the Commonwealth nations, and "metric" were licensed and built all over the planet from Argentina and Brazil to Austria to South Africa and wherever else. Many, many other nations bought 'contract guns' from FN: Germans, Libyans, and about 80 other nations - for a total of 99 nations adopting.

Some kits you purchase will be 'mix-masters' of parts - including some inch-parts and some metric parts. If you are buying on GunBroker, you may get a good seller, you may get a knucklehead, or you may get a thief.

Yes to the endorsements for ARS and GunThings.

If you purchase here in the marketplace, you are going to have the membership looking at the deal, and while we don't allow 'trolling' or much commentary in the marketplace wrt price, etc., we do have the habit of calling out people who mislabel or improperly describe the parts they are selling.

Good luck.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 16:56   #6
Tazman1602
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thank you

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great responses, I just received both receivers today - no pun intended and the quality looks to be Coonan all the way around. I've got two of their 1911 357 Mag autos and they are flawless.

I've just wrote ARS thanks to all your advice and will see what they say about parts kits etc. I've found several on gunbroker but the two sellers I wrote could not answer a single question, hence red flag.

Sorry to my reference to FN-FAL, it's all I've ever known them by. A Marine buddy had one I got to shoot and hold onto back in the 70's (yes I'm old...) and I've wanted one ever since, just never bothered to pursue it because I have a love of bolt rifles and lever rifles (Marlin) that just won't quit......or hasn't for over 35 years....

I've just finished and getting ready to scope (if you're interested..) a 33 Nosler built on a Weatherby Vanguard II action with a Bartlien barrel, a lot of people have asked my "why?" And my only answer I'd because I could and wanted to. I just love the medium and big bores too.

Winters finally broke here so how's the time to get out of the shop and burn some ammo!

I will keep you up to date on the progress of this and please feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

Many Thanks,

Art
Old May 17, 2018, 18:46   #7
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Welcome aboard Sir and keep us posted when you get all your parts lined up.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 12:20   #8
Tazman1602
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
Welcome aboard Sir and keep us posted when you get all your parts lined up.
I will Bird. Thanks to this site I've been in contact with ARS and also have a call into gunthings for one of their kits, hope to have this done in a year and meanwhile will be reading anything I can get my hands on regarding FAL's.

All I've got right now are the receivers but would be happy to post some pictures if anyone is interested - is Photobucket or imgur the best to use for this site? Let me know guys.

Guess I'm hopelessly addicted to guns of all kinds, just went to reach for my wallet and wife of 37 years asked me, "parts for your new toy Art?" She knows me pretty well and says at least the guns keep me out of the bars...

Many Thanks,

Art