Notices

Old February 10, 2019, 11:34   #1
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Do you Bone ?

Any good tips for boning ?

How do you like to do it,,Wet or dry, Fast or slow, Hard or soft, dressed or not ?

I dont seem to be having much luck,,,,or does it just take a really, really, really long time to achieve the desired final result
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 11:46   #2
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
I'm not giving away my secrets THAT easily !

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 12:44   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
You have to have a good tool to get the best results.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 15:26   #4
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

I think Ive got a pretty good rigid tool,,,,and it performed great and tightened most of it right up the first time around,,,, it just hasent produced much of anything better with each successive boning since.
I oil it up good, wipe it down, let it dry a few weeks and then bone the hell out of it.
I just cant seem to tighten up some spots and Im wondering if I should maybe change something up ?

I have one that was boned by a pro with lots of experience and its completely tight everywhere and just slick as snot,,,but sadly he's long gone so I cant ask for any specific advice...
Old February 10, 2019, 15:35   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

A good boning is as much technique and experience as it is having the right tool. They work hand in hand.

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
Old February 10, 2019, 15:56   #6
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Ive read old timers actually used a piece of beef bone,,, and common among military guys to use a spoon from the mess hall....
Old February 10, 2019, 19:08   #7
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Not sure Im thinking the same kind of boning, but some of the advice seems applicable regardless of interpretation.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 19:21   #8
JohnHB
Registered

FALaholic #: 81835
I bone whenever I can, when my wife allows.
JohnHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 21:07   #9
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Used to be a ham boner.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 00:21   #10
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobogunholsters
Boning must be done while the leather retains a small amount of moisture, necessary to continue forming, but will not be retained by the leather when there is too much moisture remaining. The piece will typically feel cool to the touch but not really wet or damp at this desired stage.
Found this note on moisture content that I thought was applicatored. Althought it isnt about the bone in use, or the motion in the ocean, it does cover the not to wet, not too dry aspect of the art.

Eta: he said nuthin bout no oil, so better stick to h2o, lest ya make things too slippery and end up getting no joy.
Old February 11, 2019, 06:57   #11
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Found this note on moisture content that I thought was applicatored. Althought it isnt about the bone in use, or the motion in the ocean, it does cover the not to wet, not too dry aspect of the art.

Eta: he said nuthin bout no oil, so better stick to h2o, lest ya make things too slippery and end up getting no joy.
Kind of..
They also use the term boning for forming leather holsters and its almost the same thing as when used in reference to wood stocked firearms.

Basically a burnishing of the surface with something hard to tighten and close the grain and add a polished by use and well handled quality to it.

With all the old timers here that claim to have gone through basic training with flint locks and such,,,,Im kind of surprised at the responses, or lack there of, so far,,,
Old February 11, 2019, 07:11   #12
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
A experienced man can do good work with a 6 inch boner.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 12:34   #13
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Well, according to the CMP forums, boning or spooning is done after the wood stock has reached the BLO or wood oil saturation point. After letting the stock dry for several days, a bone (any hard smooth object) was carefully rubbed against the wood to achieve the desired finish. No oil was added during the process because it tended to reverse the effect of boning (closes versus opening the wood pores). I tried boning a long time ago on a Model of 1917 stock that I had stripped using CitriStrip. I found it gave a nice wood finish, but was work extensive. Being lazy, I just rubbed the stock with a finishing pad from 3M and applied another coat of Tung Oil. Repeated until I was happy with the finish.

Burnishing uses a tough cloth, such as denim, to apply the last coat of finish to achieve a smooth shiny surface. Frenching or padding is used when applying shellac to wood to give an extremely smoothed and highly polished surface.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 13:25   #14
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Apparently, I need to bone up on my leather working and wood working, let alone the butchering.

This must've been after Dylan introduced them to the reefer.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 14:44   #15
JohnHB
Registered

Seriously...what are we talking about here?
Old February 11, 2019, 14:46   #16
JohnHB
Registered

OK, you perverts...here is what we are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIj5joZst2o
Old February 11, 2019, 17:05   #17
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Somehow I suspect Melty was tweaking us, not asking about leatherwork. Of course, leather sometimes goes well with a good boner.

Old February 11, 2019, 17:21   #18
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Somehow I suspect Melty was tweaking us, not asking about leatherwork. Of course, leather sometimes goes well with a good boner.
Not me. I was clueless as well

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 20:30   #19
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Well, according to the CMP forums, boning or spooning is done after the wood stock has reached the BLO or wood oil saturation point. After letting the stock dry for several days, a bone (any hard smooth object) was carefully rubbed against the wood to achieve the desired finish. No oil was added during the process because it tended to reverse the effect of boning (closes versus opening the wood pores). I tried boning a long time ago on a Model of 1917 stock that I had stripped using CitriStrip. I found it gave a nice wood finish, but was work extensive. Being lazy, I just rubbed the stock with a finishing pad from 3M and applied another coat of Tung Oil. Repeated until I was happy with the finish.

Burnishing uses a tough cloth, such as denim, to apply the last coat of finish to achieve a smooth shiny surface. Frenching or padding is used when applying shellac to wood to give an extremely smoothed and highly polished surface.
Its hard to discribe the difference, but Tru oi and most other finishes sit 'on' the surface of the stock, while oiled and boned stocks have a finish thats 'in' the wood.
A well boned stock shows no open grain and the surface is smooth as glass, without looking like it has any finish, especially that plastic or varnished look.

I have an oiled and boned 1903 done by a guy I knew many years ago who retired out of the DC old guard,,the stock is just like their parade rifles and the stock looks like a piece of satin glass.
It took 2 years of asking, about 6 months of waiting and a case of ammo to get that one.
I also have a garand done years ago by my uncle thats damn near as nice and much better than I seem to be able to duplicate no matter what I try....
Old February 11, 2019, 22:45   #20
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
Oops, I didnt realize this thread was about stroking well oiled wood. My bad...

Edit to add: the spooning threw me off
Old February 12, 2019, 00:06   #21
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Much better to spoon after boning.
Old February 16, 2019, 19:02   #22
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
...apparently we don't have any baseball players on this forum?

Boning is a common practice for wood baseball bats.