The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old February 05, 2019, 14:36   #1
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
Considerations for sponsoring a run and gun or shooting match on private property

What is generally done to bring something like this to fruition?
Insurance?
Safety Officers?
Sponsors?
Prizes?

TIA~ss
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 00:03   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Definitely insurance and a waiver signed by all participants. Protects the guys running the match and the property owner.

Safety officers/range officers also needed for each stage and obstacle. They should be certified bay some organization and have experience as such. New guys/gals helping out should be placed with experienced RO who is designated as the RO for that stage.

Sponsors are nice because they often contribute to the prize table. And everybody like to have bling to take home.

Prizes and awards are a must. Several minor matches I compete in only offer up medals and plaques for placing in the top three. Still fun matches. Prize tables are an added bonus. They don't have to be big or expensive - LGS discount coupons, boxes of ammo, bags and soft gear. Expensive stuff from sponsors only go to large matches with a large number of participants and fan base. In this case, size does matter.

And last but not least, if running a match and collecting fees, you may also need a business license. Check with local and State laws for all of the admin stuff.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 07:42   #3
Ted Kennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77365
# 1 thing you need is lots of ROs. Volunteers that are passionate about what you're trying to do.

#2 Land. Finding a big place with a willing landowner is tough. They have to be paid.

#3 Insurance.

Prizes, swag.....I don't focus on that, some RNGs do. We usually get enough sponsors to have random drawings for swag, but prizes are always a simple, unique trophy that acknowledges the accomplishment.

Keeping big prizes out of the mix for top performers keeps the gaming to a minimum. The idea of RNG is to test the shooter. How does his gun, gear, body perform under stress?

I hear lots of good 'ol boys talk about what they'll do when SHTF. Run N Gun isn't combat by a long shot, but if administered correctly will give a competitor an idea of his physical condition, his abilities as a shooter, and the effectiveness of his equipment, boots, ammo, optics, etc....

Look at www.okrunngun introduction, we shamelessly copied from Pecos (with permission!) - it tells you what you need to know.

ROs make run n guns work. You will not get rich, you will probably not make minimum wage doing this. You gotta love what you're doing.
Ted Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 11:25   #4
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thank you for your help. You've given me plenty to digest. Are there RO's that are certified specifically for this type of event? What is the range of entrance fees? Who is absolutely paid for their help? Landowner payment?~ss
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

юродивый
Old February 06, 2019, 16:23   #5
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
I shamelessly copied from Oklahoma, so listen to Ted Kennedy. Dude knows what he's talking about!
Old February 06, 2019, 22:43   #6
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
A "Prize Table" is great; the 1st place shooter gets 1st choice, etc, until the guy/gal who placed last picks last. Prizes don't have to be expensive, just make sure you have enough so that each shooter gets a prize (even if this means someone making a quick trip to Wal-Mart after the Match has started). Duplicate items are fine.
Most cities have at least 1 NRA certified Instructor.
It would be a really good idea to contact local EMS and ask about having an ambulance positioned on site; this can potentially save a life, and may help with the insurance. If you cannot get this, ask around the local towns about first responders. You will probably find a few that will volunteer their time for the event. If you can't get even this, designate an Emergency Official. In the event of a serious accident, this person, and only this person, will call 911. (This will allow Dispatchers to concentrate on getting help to you instead of answering 50 calls about the same accident, as well as receiving many, conflicting stories.)

Make it crystal clear to each and every person there, from shooters to range officers to spectators that absolutely NO consumption of alcohol will be tolerated on site before, during, or after the event.

There should be a mandatory safety briefing held before starting the event; if you don't attend the briefing, you don't participate. No exceptions. There should be another, separate briefing for Range Officers.

Finally, depending on the area and proximity to nosy neighbours, it may be a good idea to notify local law enforcement of the event. (So if someone calls 911 about gunfire, they will know you are holding an event. You also can consider inviting off duty officers to participate)
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 11:48   #7
Ted Kennedy
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicshooter View Post
Thank you for your help. You've given me plenty to digest. Are there RO's that are certified specifically for this type of event? What is the range of entrance fees? Who is absolutely paid for their help? Landowner payment?~ss
When we started okrunngun, almost all of us (Hensch, me, ROs..._ were Appleseed instructors. So right off the bat I had a pool of squared away ROs - that's a good place to start. Also ROs that have worked events will often be glad to help with a new one.

Landowners get paid. ROs don't get paid, but run for free, get T-shirt, fed well, and I try to take care of them. They are the lifeblood of runngun, period.

Most RNGs charge about a hundred bucks. We charge more for 15k/20k runners and limit the number of runners doing those "long runs" because it ties up the course for much longer.

Having a good scoring system is a must.

Setting up a "release schedule" will help prevent back-ups. Unlike a plain old footrace, where everyone starts at the same time, runners must be staggered, otherwise you get 50 runners showing up at one time to shoot, and everyone else stands around. This is important for the event to go smoothly.

Don't make shooting stages too involved. If it's going to take average Joe four minutes to finish the stage, it's too long. (unless you seriously limit the number of runners, and only release them every twenty minutes!

My best advice:

Find some land. Get permission to hold a free event. Only let a dozen or fewer of your potential ROS come and shoot. Set up a few stages, see how it goes. You'll find out what works for you, what it takes to make things run smooth.
Old February 07, 2019, 12:31   #8
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

In addition to what Ted said, you should try to hookup with the match director a RNG near you and shadow him from beginning to end. Hosting and running an RNG is no small matter and is unlike any other match out there. You are coordinating a foot race, a rifle match and a pistol match all at the same time. The MD time starts several months before the match and ends a month or so after the match. So shadowing or interning with another MD would let you see how things are done.

Oh and something else not mentioned. Transportation at the match so the MD or emergency personnel can move about quickly to respond to injure parties and handle the crisis that always crop up. To do that, you need good communications. Cells phone are great for a backup system but too sloow. You need a radio system that can cover the entire race area with no dead spots. Local ham radio guys often like to help out with this because they can practice their skills for remote setups and operations. A win-win situation.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old February 07, 2019, 13:37   #9
Ted Kennedy
Registered

And good food. If you don't have some first-class BBQ guys or a West Texas cowboy cooking up some meat over an open fire, you're wrong.

Sorry, Matt. It had to be said.
Old February 07, 2019, 14:51   #10
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thank you for sound advise. There's definitely much to consider. I don't think I would have any problem covering the EMS, communications and RO's logistics. Let me see if if this part will be as easy as I think for those 3.~ss

юродивый
Old February 07, 2019, 16:54   #11
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Yep good food is a must. Doesn't have to be fancy, just good stick to the ribs good. BBQ is nice, but I always like to see what the locals eat. You know the tailgating and/or picnic eats. Good burgers with the fixings go well and almost everybody likes them. If done in cold weather, then a big bowl of good chili goes well. I think you can see where I am going with this.

For now, start a check list for what you would need. Then make options for each item. Example:

Medical support-
EMS (paid or volunteers)
Any RO's or participants with medical training(first reponder or paramedics)
First Aid kits or IFAKs for each stage

When the list is done, then go back through each item and see if the options listed could be done. For example, can EMS personnel standby at match, either paid or volunteers.

Old February 07, 2019, 17:42   #12
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kennedy View Post
And good food. If you don't have some first-class BBQ guys or a West Texas cowboy cooking up some meat over an open fire, you're wrong.

Sorry, Matt. It had to be said.

Hahahaha! I'll agree with you on that one. Since I can't eat red meat I figure everyone should suffer with me.
Old February 08, 2019, 11:08   #13
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
I shamelessly copied from kotengu, who copied from Pawnee, who copied from Pecos. Are you sensing a theme here? All the MDs I know are willing to guide you and hopefully help you avoid the pitfalls we've all encountered. Any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 11:58   #14
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Hahahaha! I'll agree with you on that one. Since I can't eat red meat I figure everyone should suffer with me.
I know a Hungarian lady that would be happy to sling you some fried cabbage and noodles. If you get real lucky, maybe some chicken paprikash. ~ss

It helps you run faster . . . off course, but faster.

юродивый