The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old November 20, 2012, 18:38   #1
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Mauser question

I have a sporterized 95 mauser that I would like to build back up into a decent deer/hunting rifle. The original barrel has been cut back to 16" and is chambered in 7x57. I can't remember if the 95 action is a long or medium action.

So my question is, should I rebarrel with 7x57? I am thinking that I would really like to go with the 6.5x55 swede because it is flatter shooting and, I think, a better cartridge than the 7mm. Will this action take the round and would I be pushing the pressure limit on the receiver?

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 19:07   #2
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
It should handle factory-level loads for 6,5X55 okay, unless I'm badly mistaken. Not a huge difference between the 95 and 96 Mausers.
Old November 20, 2012, 19:20   #3
kmurphy
Registered

FALaholic #: 29121
I think 7x57 is pretty serviceable, but you know how opinions are.
kmurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 20:48   #4
Pluribus
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5600
I love my 6.5x55 sporter but, I'm using all 29" of the Gustav barrel. Staying with the 7x57, which is still a viable cartridge, you won't need to change the bolt or, open the bolt face of the 95. The rim of the Swede has a larger diameter. All do-able otherwise of course.

The 7x57 can be necked down 6.5x57 though too, and you can load for the same ballistics as the swede. Something to consider.

Were it not for ignorance, thus we would remain.

Never hate your enemy, it only clouds your judgement.
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 23:36   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Thanks guys. I guess I should have added that the bubba's barrel is not in the best of shape and needs replacing. I intend to have a much longer barrel on the rifle. 22" minimum. Opening up the bolt face if I go with the Swede won't be a problem either, since I have a lathe.

I know the 7mm is a good cartridge and will take a deer down easily. But it seems that all of the hunter/gun guru's lists of favorite calibers have the Swede in the upper half of the list and not the 7mm. I guess I am just stuck on the Swede cartridge. I like the mild recoil (7mm ain't bad either) and really like the ballistics of the bullets. I was thinking of getting a faster twist barrel so I could shoot some of the heavier bullets if needed.

While the 6.5x57 would satisfy the ballistics, I am looking for readily available commercial loads so as to not worry about having to roll my own.

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old November 22, 2012, 00:03   #6
Pluribus
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5600
Aaaahhh, since you're going to re-barrel, 22"-24" inchs is a good choice I think, with the original 1-7.5 rifling or the later 1-9 for 140gr or lighter. Personally I think I'd stay with the 1-7.5 but that's me.

Off the shelf Prvi and the S&B are pretty good and readily available in 140gr with the 146gr a little harder to find.

I'm recuperating from foot surgery at the moment and, can't get to the basement for my load data book but, in a day or two when I can, I'll share my data with you if you do decide to spin some. LMK. The most satisfactory reloading time for me ever has been for my Swede.

Good luck with this project and keep us updated

Were it not for ignorance, thus we would remain.

Never hate your enemy, it only clouds your judgement.
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2012, 14:16   #7
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
OK, I'll be the one to rain on your party, or at least give you something to consider.

Have you priced out this project yet? Refurbing old Mausers hasn't been worth the effort value wise for some time. I've "Sporterized" Mausers, both 95's and 98's, along with Springfields in years gone by, but they were plentiful and cheap then.
The 95 is at best a 45~46K psi action and while you have selected two calibers that I'm fond of, you will have to keep your loads within that pressure range. I'm thinking your 95 Mauser "cocks on closing" which drives me nuts, but if it's OK with you, that's fine.

Are you going to need sights, drill and tap for scope, trigger, stock, bolt bent? All I'm saying is, be sure the rifle you end up with is worth the money spent on it.
A local Gun Shop will not buy or take a converted 93 or 95 Mauser on a trade-in, and 98's get a pretty thorough inspection and fairly low offers.

I picked up a CZ 550 in 6.5X55 that handles 50K loads. I have to handload, but it edges out the .260 Rem by a hair.

You won't go wrong with the 7MM or the 6.5MM, but the 6.5 is a a bit more fun to play with.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:47   #8
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
Something else to consider, perhaps. Check Samco Global for Swede rifles before sinking a load on a 6.5 build. In years past I got a 29" model 96 there and may go back to the trough to get one of the scoped sniper rifles before they are gone forever...
Anyway you may find something there.
Nothing wrong whatever with the 7X57 mm either... it has knocked down plenty of deer and elk over the years around here.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012, 12:44   #9
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Mainer, I have everything I need to build this rifle including the scope mount drilling fixture. I bought this rifle for $25. The original barrel was cut down and I think it is crap. I don't think I'll have to put many $$$ into it, just my time. And since this as my hobby, if I weren't spending it on this project, I would be doing something else. I picked up a walnut stock for it somewhere and have been working on inletting it as it stands. But before I go any further, I think I need to swap out barrels which means I need to wait on finishing the inletting.

I have been looking at small ring replacement barrels and that is where the main expense will come from.

Yep, cocking on closing gets me, too. But my Model of 1917, P14 and all of my SMLE's cock on closing. So I'll live with that.

SGT, already have a Swede and love it to death. But it is such great shape and shoots better than I can, so no bubba on a working rifle. This mauser is junk right now and I want to see if I can bring it back to life.

Old November 23, 2012, 16:00   #10
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Mainer, I have everything I need to build this rifle including the scope mount drilling fixture. I bought this rifle for $25.

Yep, cocking on closing gets me, too. But my Model of 1917, P14 and all of my SMLE's cock on closing. So I'll live with that.
I might have known, a Smley shooter!

Quote;
:This mauser is junk right now and I want to see if I can bring it back to life."

Now, this I understand and a good reason why I don't keep old beater Mausers around, too much temptation.
Got an old beater 94 Winchester action getting comtemplated already.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old December 10, 2012, 12:49   #11
benchracer
Registered

FALaholic #: 21965
I own and shoot both 6.5x55 and 7x57 rifles. I love shooting my Swedes, but I think the 7x57 is a bit better as a medium game cartridge. The punch carried by bullets at the heavier end of the 7mm spectrum cannot be matched in the 6.5.

OTOH, I think the Swede has a better selection of factory ammo. The Hornady Superformance 140g SST load, in particular, has impressed me in my rifles and it is compliant with the lower pressure spec required for the small ring mausers. No equivalent to it exists in 7x57.

I doubt very seriously that you will have to modify your bolt face for the Swede. Both of my Swedes are built on 98 pattern mausers originally chambered for cartridges using the .473 case head. Neither required any changes to the bolt face or extractor.

There are some nice barrels available for these rifles. I would recommend spending enough money to get a decent barrel. I have used A&B and Shilen barrels on my mauser builds. My first build used an A&B. It was OK, but not great. The rest of my mausers got Shilen barrels and they shoot very well. IMO, the Shilen barrels were worth every penny.

Since you are building on a small ring mauser, I have one last suggestion to make. I really think that you ought to consider chambering yours in .257 Roberts. A friend of mine is in the process of doing that with a 96 Carl Gustaf. It looks like it will make for a trim, sweet handling little rifle when he is finished.

Whatever you decide, bully for you. I am always glad to see a beautiful old mauser receive some TLC and a new lease on life. They are instruments that represent the fine craftsmanship of a bygone era and do not deserve the ignominious fate of rusting away in a dark, forgotten corner. I would easily pick up an old mauser and carry it with pride over a new manufacture budget, push feed rifle any day.
benchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012, 15:08   #12
stimpsonjcat
Windoze free since 1-2010
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"Twilight has fallen, so deep like a hurricane's eye...the empire's predictions came falling from the sky
the voices keep calling, they're speaking of fate to be sealed...the riddles and rhymes of existence keep concealed
the shrine to behold, and not their hearts unfold for a lifetime...faithfully following leaders they adore
and in their sleep their last dreams fade away..."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012, 20:08   #13
bulletslap
Registered

FALaholic #: 8042
I have a nice old Pre-WWI sporter in 8x57I with a sketchy bore, I am considering having it rebored to 9x57 as I already have another rifle in that caliber. It is something to consider.
Old December 11, 2012, 22:51   #14
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletslap View Post
I have a nice old Pre-WWI sporter in 8x57I with a sketchy bore, I am considering having it rebored to 9x57 as I already have another rifle in that caliber. It is something to consider.
Ooh. Pics?
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012, 22:53   #15
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Looks like a StimpyIndustries' version of a Karabin przeciwpancerny wzr 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 11:00   #16
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Stimpy, is that your home made can?

Old December 13, 2012, 15:39   #17
stimpsonjcat
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Stimpy, is that your home made can?
Yeppers!

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"Twilight has fallen, so deep like a hurricane's eye...the empire's predictions came falling from the sky
the voices keep calling, they're speaking of fate to be sealed...the riddles and rhymes of existence keep concealed
the shrine to behold, and not their hearts unfold for a lifetime...faithfully following leaders they adore
Old December 13, 2012, 15:41   #18
stimpsonjcat
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Details on components
$70 mauser from J&G
$40 308 bull bbl from Sarco (minor pitting)
$15 safety
$30 trigger
$15 buttstock pad
$40 Karsten cheeckpiece
$50 scope base
$30 rings
$300 Bushnell 3200 tactical scope
$200 tax plus
$45 materials to make the suppressor
$30 extended mag

Old December 16, 2012, 19:01   #19
fire for effect
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 14188
Frank DeHass, in his book Bolt Action Rifles, stated that he felt the 95 Mauser was strong enough for the .308 cartridge. I built one thirty years ago, and had no problems. I have also built four on 96 Swedes, and one is my 1000 yard rifle.
You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out.

W.T. Sherman, Major General Commanding
Headquarters, Army of Tennessee
September, 1864
fire for effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2012, 14:40   #20
GLS_1956
Registered

FALaholic #: 67647
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
I own and shoot both 6.5x55 and 7x57 rifles. I love shooting my Swedes, but I think the 7x57 is a bit better as a medium game cartridge. The punch carried by bullets at the heavier end of the 7mm spectrum cannot be matched in the 6.5.

OTOH, I think the Swede has a better selection of factory ammo. The Hornady Superformance 140g SST load, in particular, has impressed me in my rifles and it is compliant with the lower pressure spec required for the small ring mausers. No equivalent to it exists in 7x57.

I doubt very seriously that you will have to modify your bolt face for the Swede. Both of my Swedes are built on 98 pattern mausers originally chambered for cartridges using the .473 case head. Neither required any changes to the bolt face or extractor.

There are some nice barrels available for these rifles. I would recommend spending enough money to get a decent barrel. I have used A&B and Shilen barrels on my mauser builds. My first build used an A&B. It was OK, but not great. The rest of my mausers got Shilen barrels and they shoot very well. IMO, the Shilen barrels were worth every penny.

Since you are building on a small ring mauser, I have one last suggestion to make. I really think that you ought to consider chambering yours in .257 Roberts. A friend of mine is in the process of doing that with a 96 Carl Gustaf. It looks like it will make for a trim, sweet handling little rifle when he is finished.

Whatever you decide, bully for you. I am always glad to see a beautiful old mauser receive some TLC and a new lease on life. They are instruments that represent the fine craftsmanship of a bygone era and do not deserve the ignominious fate of rusting away in a dark, forgotten corner. I would easily pick up an old mauser and carry it with pride over a new manufacture budget, push feed rifle any day.
257 Roberts. Damn fine cartridge the "Bob" is.
GLS_1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2012, 23:07   #21
bulletslap
Registered

FALaholic #: 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Ooh. Pics?
Here you go !