The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old February 09, 2018, 12:44   #1
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
after market stocks

has anyone handled one of these stocks yet ?

I just "found" them reading a piece over on breach bang clear

pricing does not seem too steep, all are shown w/ what appears to be a SOCOM installed

http://delta14chassis.com

Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2018, 13:30   #2
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Haven't seen that one, but I do have a carbon fiber XM21 stock from Bula Defense Systems on one of my rifles. I changed out the butt stock to one that was a little more stable for my uses.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2018, 09:58   #3
KoKodog
Registered

I'm always in a bind when I look at after market stocks for the M1A

but it should never surprise me ....... it took years to build my rifle

I scored a receiver (early 90's) and it sat in a drawer for years due to the economy screwing around w/ my job/s then I scored a parts kit from Gennesso (all w/ Hebrew stickers on all the parts), then I waited at least 9 months for a Krieger medium weight nat'l match barrel, most times I look at stocks there is no clearance for anything but a stock barrel, or they are $1K or more

fit in my GI wood stock is fine, never had to gouge it for the medium weight barrel
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old February 11, 2018, 07:17   #4
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

In my opinion JAE makes the best after market stock/chassis for the M14 type rifle. They are not inexpensive or light, but they do a great job.

Semper Fi
Art
Old February 11, 2018, 10:37   #5
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
At first glance I was going to recommend a lower profile scope mount, or a taller check riser.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018, 11:52   #6
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Good one. I hadn't paid any attention to the spotting scope location. That would require quite a cheek rest.

ArtB
Old February 11, 2018, 16:25   #7
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
How do you know he is not a giraffe?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018, 17:07   #8
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Here is another after market stock for an M-14. It was so ugly, I just had to have one in the herd.

Semper Fi
Art
Old February 14, 2018, 16:45   #9
KoKodog
Registered

Art, all you need on that ugly thing is a quality can & it will be great inside the house, well for you ...... got no pity for the idiot that makes you pull it out to use against them, no where to hide ...... screwed now !
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old February 14, 2018, 17:25   #10
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

1911 and a 590A1 for the house.
That goofy looking machine actually shoots 1.5 moa with its 16.5 inch barrel.
I have since retired the stock/chassis as pistol grips are not allowed in my state any more.
Old February 14, 2018, 18:50   #11
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
Art
Is that the bull pup Jeff was working on ?
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 20:23   #12
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
Art
Is that the bull pup Jeff was working on ?
No, that one was quite awhile before Jeff got together with the mfg and refined the stock and rifle to go with it.
Mine actually had a SAI Socom II in it for a short time.
Old February 16, 2018, 18:36   #13
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Quote:
Haven't seen that one, but I do have a carbon fiber XM21 stock from Bula Defense Systems on one of my rifles. I changed out the butt stock to one that was a little more stable for my uses.

Semper Fi
Art
Art, where did you source that Bula carbon fiber stock? I've emailed Bula twice, no response. Thanks, SB

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2018, 19:06   #14
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
One of my winter projects was a SAGE chassis for a recently acquired JRA Bula M14.
Also got the SAGE cantilever optics mount, some TPS rings and a 4-14 M1 Leupold.
A LaRue bipod mount and Harris bipod, a dozen CM mags and a couple little doodads...next thing you know, I had invested quite a bit into the thing.
It shoots moa with the first 168 Nosler handload I tried, so good potential.
Had some trouble due to the rifle being tighter than any M14 I ever owned...trigger group, mag catch, walnut stock fitment, receiver fitment to the SAGE and such. I had to really work at this one but the end result is very cool.
I'll take some pics some day soon.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2018, 19:28   #15
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Good one. I hadn't paid any attention to the spotting scope location. That would require quite a cheek rest.

ArtB
Ole' horse face John Kerry could probably get a cheek, or at least a chin weld, on it.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2018, 19:32   #16
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Bitten View Post
Art, where did you source that Bula carbon fiber stock? I've emailed Bula twice, no response. Thanks, SB
Bought it at their booth at Camp Perry last Summer.
Old February 16, 2018, 22:41   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Wall of Text Segway Warning....

Art,
Hoping you a very long and healthy life but if something goes sideways by suprise I have dibs on your M1a's, precision reloading equipment and ham radio stuff. (Includes accessories like magazines, ammo, reloading components, applicable software, files on load information, cables, microphones, headsets, etc) Tell your heirs you have been adopted like a three legged pit bull with a bad temper from the pound by some odd guy who would hate for them to do damage to their backs trying to move all that stuff out of its cave. It's really a great deal for them as do not have to worry about appraisals, finding buyers, toting a half ton or more of stuff risking a hernia and bad back.

Will even remove any and all offensive ham radio antennas and towers, batteries, power supplies, diagnostic and repair equipment down to the last lightning arrestor. Have noticed that at most ham operators funerals the wife is more concerned with getting our antennas down than lamenting our passing. So common learned if don't attend the first visitation and early arrival they will have already given the tower away. Now I line up waiting for funeral home to open up for visitation and as greet the new widow give my condolences and mention if need any help removing their tower(s) and other junk will be glad to help. Usually have me there before the first week passes remoting antennas, towers, cables and often the radios attached to them. Worst day in a hams wife life is day tower goes up and best day is when it comes down.

Got a "ham widow" call a while back who asked if I was the guy who removed towers and antennas for free if got to keep them. (Often they have called a real antenna company to discover they get a $10,000 disassembly bid plus another $800 to haul off if want gone before call me as knew it was expensive going up but worthless after standing for 20 years) I got the address and call sign of silent key and did not recognize him.

Pulled into their property and he had an antenna farm like I had never seen privately. He liked to do top band contests and had a tower stacked out as 1/2 wave 160 meter insulated stub driven vertical. 260 feet of Rohn 20 attached to base with three pieces of fiberglass rod sections so tower was not grounded. Had about half the guy wires math said necessary all with glass insulators at tower and ground attachment points to reduce chance of guy wire coupling with the big stick and piece of 2.5" hardline attached from shack. He also had sixteen 130 foot pieces of 3/4" copper water pipe attached to base as ground radials/ground plane.one of those "OH, SH!T" moments when saw it and fiberg lass had begun to delaminate from U.V. exposure and had 260 feet of tower basically just floating in mid air.

This guy had a 150 foot Rohn 40 tower with biggest yagi ever seen and all kinds ot verticals hanging off the side. Several other towers of varying heights from 50 to 120 feet for different antenna arrays and a 2 meter EME array with four cophased ~20 foot two meter yagis with very narrow beam width. Had to hire a local tower crew to start taking down sticks they were willing to work on, brought five of my employees to help on ground and started removing 260 foot tower/antenna with gin pole and ropes. Took us eight days to break them all down, organize, haul back to work and cost me thousands of dollars but refurbished it all and resold a normal size tower, one at a time for three years. Have gotten a lot more selective and learned to go look at a tower before agreeing to remove for free if keep tower and antenna.

Got a call about a large stick on south side of Atlanta from lady whow said was in back yard and afraid would fall on her kids or house. Had no idea how tall so told her to have husband measure with of sections and count them and send a picture. Picture was so poor could not estimate height as didn't show bottom to top and he counted seven section with "BIG" antenna on top and lots of black wires. So figured it was 70 foot Rohn 20. Talked two of my employees into going with me on a Saturday and when got there was a 90 foot stick with mobile C.B. antenna on top and they had cut all the guy wires on one side to get moving trucks in driveway. Guy wire every 30 feet and since all cut on one side it was leaning 20 so ran bucket up full 55 feet, tied to tower well and gin pole top 40 feet off before abe to work from truck.

So this is a gracious offer. Will take all risk of getting killed taking down your towers, blowing myself up with one of your handloads or homebuilt rifles, electricuted with some oddly modified radio, etc. Will bring an honest and reliable crew and get your stuff out of wife's way immediately. Will even catch up your "honey do" list plus cut the grass while there. I am such a nice guy, won't charge her a dime for removing all that scrap metal and junk from the place so she doesn't have to deal with it. Buddy of mine got a call from lady heard he bought and hauled off Volkswagen's. When got to her house turns out husband was president of Volkswagen USA. They built him a one off Cabriolet convertable with power leather roof and matching leather interior, every factory option plus no offered options. Was only power roof Cabriolet ever made and only leather roof. She said it made her cry when saw it, heard he treated his collection with care and offered to give it to him if promised to care for it. Recently turned down a $100,000+ offer for car from guy whow came to try and buy his 1968 Beetle with 800 original miles and original tires with no dry rot? He has a Karma Ghia with Porsche six cylinder naturally aspirated engine and Porsche suspension under it along with lots of odd stuff mostly liberated from widows. I will leave all none M1a related items and non radio items plus help wife get top dollar for all but those old WW II clunkers, unknown source ammo, reloading widgits and odd radios would best be hauled off by someone familiar with such items. You can go ahead and thank me now.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018, 06:39   #18
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

hueyville,
Your generous offer has been recorded.
So nice to have someone such as yourself set their own well being aside and step up to the plate during a widow's time of need.
All aforementioned items have been previously spoken for.
Should the line of eager to help out individuals , for some reason, not be available upon my demise I think the wife will just have a barn cleaning outfit remove everything with the intent of starting a clean slate.
Thanks you so much for thinking of my wife's eventual situation.

Semper Fi
Art
Old February 18, 2018, 11:19   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Glad you got the joke. Have seen ham widows trying to get towers removed before the silent key was properly buried. Others seen asking hams at visitation if anyone wanted the tower(s), first come first served as wanted them gone from time footings were dug. Seen gun wives give away safes to get them removed from house. Amazing how they support husbands till dying breath and at death they do part.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old February 18, 2018, 12:16   #20
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

.... .. .... ..
Old February 18, 2018, 15:03   #21
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

.-.. -- .- ---