http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...Kz&ocid=HPCDHP
Old July 16, 2017, 16:00   #2
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
rake the chief over the coals

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 16:28   #3
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
No raking any Chief or SWAT team people over any coals.

You hand over all control, authority, etc.. whenever you call the police. This goes for any authority that's called in for any situation whether it be fire, medical or any other emergency. It has to be this way.

While putting no blame on the cops, we've created a militarized police force. A SWAT team is made of of people that are going in to kill. Back in the 70s, SWAT teams weren't killer teams. They were just better trained officers.

The problem we have today is people are too quick to give authority to a government agency.
Once the police are called, protocol dictates action. If a gun is involved(and that question will be asked by the dispatcher), protocol dictates a SWAT team in most jurisdictions.

People need to start considering the consequences of their actions and start handling their own problems.
If a problem gets so out of control you can't handle it, call the police and get out of the way.
Old July 16, 2017, 16:34   #4
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

And YES, I realize the kid shot himself in this particular incident. He simple didn't allow the situation to go far enough
Old July 16, 2017, 16:36   #5
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Note the parents did not call the police, the ex girlfriend did. This is the outcome I have come to expect when law enforcement becomes involved. There is no need for a swat team when you have no hostages. How about just sending a negotiator and maybe a shrink to talk to the kid. I mean yes, he clearly needed help. People who don't need help don't lock themselves in a room with a pistol and talk about suicide. Sadly in this case the wrong type of "help" showed up, the police sent a hammer, the guy needed a shoulder. Sad for the parents.
Old July 16, 2017, 17:21   #6
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Yes, it was his girlfriend that called the cops. I have no idea what she told them

I had a girlfriend call the cops on me. She was one manipulative, evil bitch and had no trouble lying. She was quite good at it from years of practice. She was also quite good at manipulation. Of course she started crying and acting hysterical. The truth is she was drunk off her ass as usual and wanted to punish me.

The dispatchers are required to ask if the other person has a gun. Of course the bitch lied and said yes.

When there's a 'yes' answer, a chain of events are required to happen. Department policy, local law, whatever. It doesn't really matter if the protocol is official or not.

Noting will change for the police because of this incident. Remember, the cops shot no one. They simply responded to a call.
Old July 16, 2017, 19:43   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Dunno, 26 yr old. No kids/ girlfriend. Threatens to come in and kill himself if he cant's sleep. Article states parents called the cops back. So you are threatening to kill yourself in my house and have a gun in Mass Hmm. What else can go wrong with this scenario Most people that far north ain't the brightest.

And I'm 26. Yep lots of ugly chicks up there, but shit this guy had issues along with poor breeding and on all sides of the situation

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 21:43   #8
Riversidesports
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Dunno, 26 yr old. No kids/ girlfriend. Threatens to come in and kill himself if he cant's sleep. Article states parents called the cops back. So you are threatening to kill yourself in my house and have a gun in Mass Hmm. What else can go wrong with this scenario Most people that far north ain't the brightest.

And I'm 26. Yep lots of ugly chicks up there, but shit this guy had issues along with poor breeding and on all sides of the situation
Man what is your issue with folks up North ?

I see dumbassery EVERYWHERE and it has long seemed particularly bad in the South of our Nation.
Up where I reside you need some wits to survive, Texas none at all.
Half the year here to will end up a human popsicle attempting to sleep outdoors
Nature tends to self cleanse the gene pool in the North
Homeless and vagrants freeze to death regularly in the North, most Winter over in the South.

As far as ugly wimmin, they be everywhere
Seen some real disgusting females in Texas with two axe handle wide asses
We have some here too, just not the density I have personally seen down South
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 22:16   #9
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
And YES, I realize the kid shot himself in this particular incident. He simple didn't allow the situation to go far enough
One way or another, he was going to die that day. At least his family might've got some money after Barney did it.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 10:00   #10
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
rich kid killed by men with small dicks and big guns, and even bigger egos...de reguer. move along...
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 11:18   #11
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 12:03   #12
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post

good stuff
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 21:03   #13
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Many in the peace officer business, especially out west, are calling for a complete overhaul of the way suicidal subjects are handled. My agency for instance has totally revised our policy on such individuals. If they are the sole person in the home and have not made any threats to harm anyone but themselves, (ex: I'm gonna kill mom/dad/ex gf/whomever, then myself and I have them here with me as hostages) we attempt contact then leave.

If they want to talk, we'll talk to them but if not, we split. No point in forcing a confrontation where others may get hurt. Killing yourself is not illegal so we don't have a crime to investigate or solve. Supreme Court case precedent says we have no individualized responsibility to protect anyone so we are good. Why traumatize a cop by making him kill a suicidal person or worse, get the cop killed by the suicide??

Look, its sad when a person chooses a long term solution to a short term problem. I've had to explain to more than a few parents that their child has killed themselves and no, it wasn't murder even if that makes their pain more bearable. Families often flat out refuse to believe that their loved one could off themselves and will invent the most convoluted theories that involve hit men/wives/girlfriends/insert whichever fall guy you prefer rather than accept the truth.

In this case, would backing off and leaving the kid to get some sleep have changed the outcome? No idea but the cops aren't responsible for the actions of a clearly well educated individual who obviously had issues. 26 years old, failed pilot, failed day trader, failed engineer, now working as a landscaper and parking cars on an evening to make pin money while living at home with mommy and daddy. They obviously failed to give him coping skills because he ends his life over a piece of ass.

Methinks mommy screwed the pooch by talking him out of being a Marine but he may have failed at that too.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 21:08   #14
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
rich kid killed by men with small dicks and big guns, and even bigger egos...de reguer. move along...
Obviously you're getting dumber the older you get; the kid killed himself...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 22:22   #15
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
There was no reason for the guy to kill himself. Yeah his ex-girlfriend was a c*unt, but most of them are.

Permanent solution to a very temporary problem. Even the police said he wasn't in trouble! Sad.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 22:44   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Well Gman I tend to agree with your point. Maybe he saw the light and just said fug it. Pussy coping skills were to the point that he realized he should end it now instead of dealing with stupid women shit forever. Parents should have got his ass out of the house long before then and sent him packing with a complementary Groupon pass at the Mustang Ranch. 26 year old adult with the coping skills of a 12 yo. Not uncommon these days. Just leave me alone. Nah you are my kid in my house, which at 26 ain't going to happen, I would have just kicked his ass out. He put his family at risk. I have very little empathy for him.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017, 09:57   #17
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
Obviously you're getting dumber the older you get; the kid killed himself...
at least my penis is still bigger than yours ever was...

coercion comes in many forms.
escalation by harrasment under color of authority is cop school 101, and we all know that.

you'll never get those cuffs on me, copper...

If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017, 11:34   #18
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

gman got it exactly right. There has to be a departmental policy change on how suicides are handled. Suicide is is not illegal and the way it's handled now with SWAT teams is wrong.
If suicidal person is threatening to take out other people, a SWAT team is probably required.

My point was when you call anyone, be it police, medical, fire station, etc.. you hand over all authority to that agency. It's always best to take care of problems in-house

I've been in the marine industry for too long. Calling the Coast Guard is the very last thing you do. It's unlikely they can help but they can make things much worse for a very long time.
Old July 18, 2017, 22:56   #19
SPECSPEC
Registered

FALaholic #: 22759
To the skies flies another soul ^

May all the strength go to the family and the love ones of this young man.

Please do not judge and just remember we are all human and then become divine.

The tears shed for a person for whom I never met but wish I had the honor.

SPECSPEC
SPECSPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017, 07:47   #20
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
“Don’t back me into a corner,” his father remembers Austin saying. “Because I’ll make it go away in four seconds.”
I absolutely respect this punk's right to end his own life. I do not respect his attempt to use the threat of doing so to manipulate others.

He must have had some success with this extreme passive aggression, or he wouldn't still be doing it at 26. Well, he won't be doing that any more.

Zero tears of pity.

Still think police response was ridiculous - blame the legislature that makes suicide illegal. Or something. Had police shoot to death a teenager threatening, in his own kitchen, to kill himself with a butter knife.

I understand though, when mentally unstable people are threatening suicide, they just might want to take someone else with them - which makes them a threat that needs to be stopped. But I wonder if there is a better way - not to prevent people from killing themselves, but to facilitate it so as to provide less inconvenience to the rest of society.

Last edited by gunplumber; July 19, 2017 at 07:53.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017, 08:55   #21
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The kid sounds like a spoiled little snowflake and wanted to be center stage again. The parents reaction was naive and coddling. A lifetime of such bad parenting created the kid's persona.

This is about departmental policy that has to be changed. You don't call in a massive SWAT team raid for every little problem. The SS and KGB were never this bad

This problem of bad parenting is only starting to rear its ugly head. Most people only had 1 or 2 children. These kids were raised to be the center of the universe but today, they're just another unemployable kid living with their parent(s).
They will threaten suicide or any other number of things but will rarely follow through. AS GP said 'it's a threat to manipulate others'.
Old July 19, 2017, 09:31   #22
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Can't blame the police for the kids death, and I have a particular hatred for those that threaten suicide/self harm unless other people behave in their preferred ways, but that response seems pretty fugking intense for a guy with zero prior interactions.

And no, the kid didn't "just need to sleep," he needed to learn how to effectively handle his emotions and verbally interact with those that lived with him. But, he doesn't need to learn that now.
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote