The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old September 05, 2017, 14:52   #1
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
S&W 657-2 question

A guy I work with is looking to sell his dad's S&W 657-2. His dad had a stroke less than a year ago and has been in care center since being released from the hospital. His dad wants to get $1200 for it. He thought that was a bit high and thought it would sell easier at $900. He is selling to pay for some repairs to his parents house. My friend has stepped up and has been trying to help take care of his mom house.

He asked formy advice and I'm not sure what a 657 is selling for. I know Gunbroker can give a general asking price but doesn't always give a good picture of what they are really selling for.

I know his dad was the second owner and its a six inch barrel. Unknown if he has the box and paperwork. It has been shot but not a lot by his dad and unknown what the prior owner did with it.

I know there are some on here that have a good knowledge of what these are selling for would be great.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2017, 16:30   #2
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
The best place by far would be to register with http://smith-wessonforum.com/
These guys are fanatics and would be able to tell you what the current market value is.
As you already know, what's hot it S&W land can be an S-prefix Model 27 for a year and then it'll be 4" Model 28 for a while then it'll be something else

I would venture to guess a stainless 41 mag to be low on the totem pole of 'hot' guns.

The $900 might be a tough sale.
Not a low baller as I have plenty of Smiths, it would only be worth $650 to me
Old September 05, 2017, 18:10   #3
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I just last week sold a 6" 629 for $700 which seemed to be the going value per past Gonebroker sales.

The 657 is probably a little more rare, but also a little less in demand, so I would guess the value would be similar. Again, that is just is a guess.

Years ago I had an 8" 29 and an 8" 57, both identical except caliber. The 41 mag shot half size groups of the 44. I was pretty impressed with the 41.
Old September 05, 2017, 18:57   #4
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
For some reason the market is really soft on Smith N-Frames right now. I had a Pre-29 and a 3" 624 for sale recently and all I got were tire kickers and low ball offers. Back in the safe they went.

Good luck with the sale.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2017, 09:07   #5
grumpy1
Registered

Thanks for all the replies and opinions. I've like the .41 mag round but I also have a soft spot of odd calibers. I wish it was a S&W 610 instead of the 657. Around here it seems all gun values are a bit soft other than the guys selling Colt wheel guns and they are holding steady or increasing slightly.
Old September 07, 2017, 05:38   #6
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
If un-fired and mint with box and all accessories, you might get $1,200 for it. If fired average condition with box and papers, $750-$900. If no box, $700. There really have not been any moving on Gunbroker. I think this one is a fluke...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/680783877

This one with no box had no bids at $755...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/687536197

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2017, 09:05   #7
grumpy1
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
If un-fired and mint with box and all accessories, you might get $1,200 for it. If fired average condition with box and papers, $750-$900. If no box, $700. There really have not been any moving on Gunbroker. I think this one is a fluke...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/680783877

This one with no box had no bids at $755...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/687536197

krf
Yeah this one has the unflutted cylinder and full length under lug like in the first link. I think the one in the second link is missing to many factory parts and lacks good pictures and a good description. Those things help sell when people can't pick it up and hold it.

It's too bad the 41 mag never saw much success as the 44 mag, its probably a better round just never got a good start.
Old September 07, 2017, 11:22   #8
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I love the .41 Mag, I load it for next to nothing with on hand components. I have an older Blackhawk in addition to my S&W 57's (a 57 no dash, a 57 classic and a 657) that is terrific.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote