The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old April 26, 2017, 19:55   #1
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Let's talk Hammocks

I've decided I want to try Hammock camping - anyone do this and have any advice?
Old April 26, 2017, 21:52   #2
c0wb0y84
Registered

FALaholic #: 70103
Check out hammockforums.net. There's tons of info about hanging and discussions on all the different options. I started hanging on camping trips about 5 or 6 years ago and it has been great, wish I had started sooner. Way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. I went the DIY route and really like my set up, but a buddy went with a warbonnet blackbird that was ready to go out of the box and he says its the bees knees. Stay away from the cheaper stuff though if you're gonna do real camping. The $30 hammocks are ok for hanging in the yard but you'll want something more durable and sturdy if going backwoods. The suspension is the most important part of the system so don't skimp there.
c0wb0y84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017, 17:51   #3
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
My experience with hammocks was less than enjoyable. On two occasions I used a backpacking hammock that seemed great at first but after a couple of hours my back started getting cold.The air moving under the hammock cooled me off dramatically. And it never did feel like it warmed up so I wound up giving up on the hammock idea and just sleeping on the ground with a pad. Besides being cold at night my back didn't care for that angle for very long. In fact it just didn't feel as comfortable as I would have though. For short periods of time I like hammocks just to sit and relax but my old body just doesn't like the angle for more than a hour or two. It's great that some people like them and I wish I was one of those people but I was destined to sleep on the ground in mother nature.
PARA FN FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017, 19:28   #4
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Without a blanket on the bottom, they're cold. Great for hot weather camping though. I've used them for beach camping before with great success. If it's going to go below the 70's at night the nylon backpackers get chilly.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017, 20:11   #5
c0wb0y84
Registered

FALaholic #: 70103
If you lay in a hammock right there shouldn't be much of an angle. In a backyard hammock you'll be perfectly straight. Your head should be towards one corner and your feet at the opposite corner so that your laying in it diagonally. Camping hammocks are often built asymmetrically so that you get the same effect laying inline with the two points of connection. As far as getting a cold back is concerned I use a double layer hammock. In warm weather there is nothing between layers, in mild weather I slip a sleeping pad between layers and if you want to go cold weather then use an under quilt. That is more or less an insulated blanket that hangs underneath the hammock. It's all about putting together the proper system for the environment you're in. Usually you'll still be packing lighter gear than carrying a tent and sleeping gear around.
c0wb0y84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017, 22:05   #6
Roadmarker
Remaining Vigilant 3-7-77
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63605
hammockforums.net or watch some Shug. Look him up on YouTube. It's well worth it. All secure in sector seven. Whoopie slings, tree huggers and A-sym or cat cut rain fly. It's all good.
Roadmarker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017, 12:10   #7
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
My reading skills are deteriorating. I thought that the thread title was "Let's talk Ham hocks." Now I am hungry and disappointed.
Old April 30, 2017, 17:12   #8
Artful
Registered

Ok, going to try the DIY and cheap system to start with
As no sewing required.
Polyester Tablecloth Hammock
- Mule tape loop on Zip tie Gather
Carabiner clipped to Seat Belt tree Strap

Harbor Freight Tarp on bungee suspension

Harbor Freight moving blankets and my blue foam ground pad
for warmth pad under my existing sleeping bag.

Using my existing headlamp for night light but did find
an interesting solar LED rope for ridge line.

Wish me Luck
Old April 30, 2017, 22:04   #9
Tuhlmann
Sand In Your Shorts
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful View Post
Ok, going to try the DIY and cheap system to start with
As no sewing required.
Polyester Tablecloth Hammock
- Mule tape loop on Zip tie Gather
Carabiner clipped to Seat Belt tree Strap

Harbor Freight Tarp on bungee suspension

Harbor Freight moving blankets and my blue foam ground pad
for warmth pad under my existing sleeping bag.

Using my existing headlamp for night light but did find
an interesting solar LED rope for ridge line.

Wish me Luck
Sounds like a setup for disappointment. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird and a Hennessey Expedition. Both are fantastic lays, but only if you know how to hang them. If you do it right, you'll wonder why you ever slept on the ground at all, ever. In fact, I have one rigged in house for naps and overnights when my back doesn't agree with my regular bed. I'd sleep in it every night if Whatsername wouldn't complain about being cold or lonely or some such.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017, 23:12   #10
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
A hammock is they only way to sleep if your area has snakes. Smear Vasoline on the ropes so critters don't use them to get to you.
Old July 21, 2017, 15:30   #11
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
i have been hanging for 5ish years now and wont use a tent unless I am above the treeline. Figuring the correct angle and tension for your hammock is key to getting a good night's rest. Once you have it, you will want to install a fixed ridgeline made of dyneema or Amsteel. Eventually, your entire suspension will be made of that stuff (assuming you dont start out with DIY). It's great stuff.

There are several great methods to solve frostbutt. The underquilt is probably the easiest and most comfortable. In fact, with a down underquilt and a down top quilt in a properly hung hammock, it's bliss. Obviously a good lightweight silnylon tarp is critical.

I was spending 30-40 nights camping a year there for a few years and hammocks had a vastly improved ROI for me over tents. Love em.

Start here:
https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017, 18:48   #12
slavicshooter
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
Thanks chet. Hell, the knowledge on the blog is worth a fortune. ~ss
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch
" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017, 19:50   #13
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
Thicker rope is more comfortable, won't cut in to you... or go thin (but strong) and always use an under pad. A couple of poncho liners are good to make one from if you are in warmer areas and want to DIY or improvise.
Old July 22, 2017, 07:18   #14
chet
Registered

Thicker rope? As in rope hammock? Forget that! Use a decent nylon and be done with it. My hammock packs about the size of my fist. All the suspension components should be dyneema or amsteel.

Pads kinda work - you can use a closed cell foam sleeping mat inside the hammock to provide some insulation value but it can be tricky keeping it underneath you during the night. I've done it a lot but its not ideal. BUT, poncho liners, sleeping bags, quilts, whatever, generally do not work very well. Once you compress the insulation material, it loses most of its insulation quality. So, a poncho liner in the summer that is adequate on top of you as a blanket suddenly becomes inadequate underneath you in the exact same weather.

You can rig a poncho liner as an underquilt for summer camping with a bit of 550 and some shock cord. They work ok as long as the weather is very mild. 50's? Not for me. There are several youtube videos on it.
Old July 22, 2017, 07:33   #15
chet
Registered

Here is a super simple beginner rig that will give many years of service. With a little attention to knot tying and construction, this rig could be lightened but if you are a casual, weekend camper, it wont make a difference.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old July 22, 2017, 10:00   #16
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
Let's talk hammocks.... Hell, I can't even think hammocks without my back hurting.
Old July 22, 2017, 11:28   #17
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post
Let's talk hammocks.... Hell, I can't even think hammocks without my back hurting.
Hell, I'm not even old and am in good shape, but the thought of sleeping any longer than a nap in a hammock has me flinching. Good thing I have a bed cap on my truck. Warmer, drier, and faster to setup/take down than a tent or hammock.
Old July 23, 2017, 05:13   #18
chet
Registered

My back is the exact reason I went this route. No more lumps, no more humps, no more hard ground for my dirty rump.
Old July 27, 2017, 08:17   #19
hawk962
Registered

FALaholic #: 9621
Have a look at the products made by Wilderness Logics out of Thomasville, NC. I have one of their sil-nylon Tarps along with a few other goodies. A buddy is using their Night Owl hammock, had I discovered them before I made my hammock purchase, I would be using one too. Wildernesslogics.com
High quality products and every time I have contact them, the owner picks up the phone.
hawk962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 18:54   #20
wolfspotter1
Registered

FALaholic #: 64473
I use use my Bear Butt double hammock, rain fly and sometimes the bug netting. So much more comfortable than my military jungle hammock. Always use a GI foam pad underneath my sleeping bag and have been cozy in twenty degree weather. Run para-chord from tree to tree under the rain fly to hang my boots, flashlight and camera bag to keep them handy.

wolfspotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017, 16:04   #21
Artful
Registered

So - reporting back - two hangs under my belt -
First hang was up on the Arizona Rim by Heber just in a forest clearing
this was Thurs - Sat nites - Rim temps dropped enough I had frost on the vehicles
- Winds up to holy crap, it ripped the pegs/spikes out of the ground and shredded the harbor freight tarp on the corners. Blew all the cookware off the table. And damaged my EZup shelter.

Slept pretty good in my big Blue DIY hammock on the blue closed cell foam pad which was wrapped in a harbor freight moving pad to keep it from moving around. Added my Aluminiumized window shade under it to reflect heat back and used a patrol bag and 40 year old sleeping bag as over quilt.

Worked great.

Next hang was at a campground with outhouses and bear boxes. Turkey Creek in the Chiricahua Mountains

Again Thur-Sat nites -
Someone wanted to take a picture of my big blue DIY Hammock

https://youtu.be/YfpPF9Zw3Pk?t=410

Next one back up on the Rim in October - taking both bags of the MSS for that one.

Last edited by Artful; August 13, 2017 at 16:18.
Artful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 02, 2017, 09:08   #22
Lee8
Registered

FALaholic #: 80066
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfspotter1 View Post
I use use my Bear Butt double hammock, rain fly and sometimes the bug netting. So much more comfortable than my military jungle hammock. Always use a GI foam pad underneath my sleeping bag and have been cozy in twenty degree weather. Run para-chord from tree to tree under the rain fly to hang my boots, flashlight and camera bag to keep them handy.

Omg how cool!
Lee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 02, 2017, 09:36   #23
Cornpone
Registered

FALaholic #: 76714
Check out...http://dutchwaregear.com

Made in the U.S.A. small company with first rate service and damn good products. With the right combo of his gear you can set-up in complete darkness during a storm with no light if need be.
Old September 14, 2017, 11:59   #24
jugrunner
Deplorable
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmarker View Post
hammockforums.net or watch some Shug. Look him up on YouTube. It's well worth it. All secure in sector seven. Whoopie slings, tree huggers and A-sym or cat cut rain fly. It's all good.

I have that exact hammock .. used one time .. I like Holiday Inn .. guess my camping days are over ..

I'll sell my hammock to anyone with money ..
Old September 17, 2017, 19:14   #25
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Back in the 1980s, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Central America. Slept for six straight months in a hammock, never falling out. Not all was gravy, as I was bitten by a tarantula in the hammock. Didn't sour me on the benefits of hammocks, never liked spiders though, now even less.
pistolero1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2017, 23:17   #26
Tuhlmann
Sand In Your Shorts
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Hell, I'm not even old and am in good shape, but the thought of sleeping any longer than a nap in a hammock has me flinching. Good thing I have a bed cap on my truck. Warmer, drier, and faster to setup/take down than a tent or hammock.
I know you really believe that so I won't argue with you, but it's simply not true in my experience. Not only am I confident that I could surpass your setup in all all three categories you listed, but I'm also not limited to road access locations to make camp. That alone makes a hammock superior to a camper for my needs. YMMV, and clearly it does.

In a properly hung hammock you can sleep three dimensionally, meaning you can position yourself in ways that are just not possible on a two dimension surface like a camper mat, bed, cot, or ground. This ability almost entirely eliminates pressure points at the hips and shoulders, which a source of back pain, discomfort, and restlessness for many. With a little bit of education and practice you can find out what I mean. If you are flinching at the thought of it then either you have never really tried it, or you did it wrong.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote