Old November 06, 2017, 22:15   #1
James
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 642
North Texas 2017 Shoot Dec 9th.

2017 WINTER NORTH TEXAS FAL GET-TOGETHER:
Saturday, December 9th, 2017

The location will be the same as before, about 20 miles south of Dallas. This is an all-day event so you can stay as long as you like. All board members are welcome to come and you can bring a few friends along. This is a fun shoot, not a competition. Itís really just a get-together with a lot of gunfire.

All you guys that have been to my shoots know how things work, but for anyone that hasnít been and wantsí to come here is what you need to know. You are responsible for you own food, drinks (no alcohol drinks while shooting is going on), guns and ammo. The majority of the guys will let you shoot their guns if you have the ammo. Tannerite and Title II guns are permitted if you have them. Safety is everyoneís responsibility since there is not a designated range officer.

The only way to get in will be at designated times. I will be at the gate at 8am, 10:30am, and 1pm. If you need to leave you can go out at those times. Also later in the day if you need to leave you can follow behind a member that is leaving. Iíll also go up and let multiple people out.

Since the shoot is held on private property, you will have to PM me for directions. This is a private shoot and I donít broadcast the location to the general public.

NOW I NEED YOUR ATTENTION FOR THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE: As most of you know we had a game warden that that threatened to issue tickets to anyone he caught shooting into or across the river. Now that is the law so thatís that but for the past 50 years it has been done and there was never any problems with LEOs (There have been ATF, FBI, SO and many PDs down there doing it during those years. Even had FN rent the range for a demonstration to LEO). It was more of a personal problem then a question of the law from what I can gather. So to get to the point at this time we are not supposed to shoot into the river. We can shoot down the river to the bend where there will be some targets. We can do this because we are not shooting into or across the river. Additionally the range has been improved and we will have more metal swinging targets out to the 500 yard range. So that will help.
If you have any questions you can PM me or post it here and it will get it answered.

James
Old November 08, 2017, 18:53   #2
TXMoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 73164
James thanks for setting this up for us, it's doggone brilliant!

I plan on bringing my camp stove, coffee pot and pot of chiili
TXMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2017, 22:30   #3
stoicrabbit
WTB Type B Bayonet
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31595
I will put this on my calendar
stoicrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 13:37   #4
Aeroscout
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 67625
Be there or be square.
Old November 09, 2017, 13:52   #5
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
I wanna be there. I don't wanna be square.

I have special hot green chile set aside. I want you all to remember me and scream my name the next day......
Old November 09, 2017, 17:49   #6
TXMoose
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post
I wanna be there. I don't wanna be square.

I have special hot green chile set aside. I want you all to remember me and scream my name the next day......
Your name is Charmin?
Old November 10, 2017, 13:00   #7
Jermason
Registered

FALaholic #: 2837
Nope, Ice Cream. Come on ICE CREAM!
Jermason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 18:01   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Well in the meltblown tradition

See ya there

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.

Last edited by meltblown; November 10, 2017 at 18:06.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017, 00:16   #9
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Will be there
Old November 12, 2017, 18:54   #10
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
Can't shoot into or acroos the river? I hate to be a party pooper but that sucks. That is most of the fun. I don't know if I wll be ther or not.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017, 21:35   #11
TXMoose
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut1 View Post
Can't shoot into or acroos the river? I hate to be a party pooper but that sucks. That is most of the fun. I don't know if I wll be ther or not.
The shooting is great but it's the chance to hang out with a bunch of other FAL nuts and shoot the BS that's the best part of this get together
Old November 13, 2017, 00:18   #12
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMoose View Post
The shooting is great but it's the chance to hang out with a bunch of other FAL nuts and shoot the BS that's the best part of this get together
True and for that I might come. My problem is this. I belong to the Arlington Sportsman Club and I can shoot at paper targets all day long, shoot shotguns and have a grand time! I am at the club several times a month as a Range Officer so I get all of the target shooting I can stand. Unfortunatly, no FA firearms are allow at our club. No different than shooting at the gong and stuff at the river's bend. I always enjoyed shoot things that prople threw in the river. I don't know what happend or who pissed off the Game Warden. I have been unable to attend the shoots for a few years.

James, thanks for putting this together. I know it is also a lot of work for you. It is sad that one person ruined it for us.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
Old November 13, 2017, 22:14   #13
James
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 642
Gary,
Yeah it sucks that there can be no shooting into the river but that's the way it is. Since my first shoot 12-14 years ago it's really been for like mined (FAL) people getting together to have a good time. So we'll do it again and hope everything turns out OK.

James
Old November 14, 2017, 09:26   #14
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

I thought for a change of pace I might bring out the Sharps and see if I can hit anything at 500 yds with it.
That thing's tough on the shoulder but is fun to shoot.
Once the huge clouds of white smoke clear, it's fun to see the looks of people's faces.
Old November 19, 2017, 12:14   #15
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Gary,
Yeah it sucks that there can be no shooting into the river but that's the way it is. Since my first shoot 12-14 years ago it's really been for like mined (FAL) people getting together to have a good time. So we'll do it again and hope everything turns out OK.

James
I understand and I know it is not your fault. We are still friends and I hope it will stay that way. I guess working at a range has spoiled me. I can shoot paper and steel all I want to, so the river offered something completely different. I am just disappointed that someone acted stupid and screwed it up for the rest of us.
I do hope you guys have a ton of fun.

Old November 21, 2017, 18:34   #16
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Just come out, man. We have fun and sit around shooting the breeze if nothing else.