The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Economics & Investing

Notices

Old January 11, 2013, 23:49   #1
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
AR-15 Economics 101

Visited one of my gun pusher's shop today. Those dozens of AR's that were on the walls last month are gone, with two exception; a basic Bushmaster and a basic something else. Price was about two grand for each. I can't imagine the manufacturers are profiting at this point or even major distributors other than by increasing production. Has the price spike been a retail level phenomenon with help provided by current AR owners seeking to thin their AR herd and turn a quick profit by placing guns on consignment? I know that prices are based on supply and demand but if the gun control storm blows away AR demand will probably drop like a bag of shot. So who is making the money?
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013, 23:55   #2
EPC WN
Registered

FALaholic #: 65612
The middle man.
Old January 12, 2013, 06:23   #3
juanni
TROLL

FALaholic #: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPC WN View Post
The middle man.
Only if he has something to sell.

...........juanni
Old January 12, 2013, 10:59   #4
xtremerange
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4305
I would guess the retailers right now. Give it a month and the distributors might be jacking up their prices to the retailers.

I would guess that a lot of what the bigger independent gun shops sell are on a standing or replenishment order. Not talking about the small shops but the ones that do a large volume of business short of being Walmart, Dicks, Academy, etc.

They would need to have a pipeline of inventory.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. --Mark Twain
xtremerange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 23:23   #5
leek
Registered

FALaholic #: 16697
I'm one of the little guys. We are just about out of guns-------all kinds. None of our distributors have anything to sell us. We are getting ready to be open only 3-4 days a week down from 6 . Due to the economy, we are getting people come in and offer to sell their weapons but most are Fud guns and are in poor shape. The lack of inventory may kill off us little guys. Guys we usually make only $50 a pistol. We sold a new AR tonight--Core 15 for $1350 but that was our last-----we have no more. We do tranfers for $25. If the little guys go away forget the $ 25 transfers and expect them to be + $100 for the big guys left. The big guys sell a lot more than firearms---like clothes and that will help keep the doors open. I put a lot of money and hard work into this business and I am afraid it is in trouble now. It's a low margin business and I'm getting tired of those that say we are taking advantage of the situation. Have fun dealing with the big boxes. Oh yeah, Ar 's are now on par with Canadian prices and Canada has availability!!!!!!!!!!. Too bad i can't import them in to the USA.
leek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013, 23:32   #6
gates
Registered

FALaholic #: 129
leek - I was thinking about you yesterday - you might have read my post about Bear Arms (I moonlighted there for a few months) - the owner was almost in tears a few weeks ago - TONS of cash - nothing spend it on and overhead does not care - he was convinced he was going to lose the shop and go broke (mortgage). I was at my gun club today 1/13, doing a little plinking (SGC) - I'm a member and I had to wait a HOUR for a lane - they had virtually NO inventory - guys were vying over a piece of shit NAA .380 - at the SCOTTSDALE GUN CLUB!

The ENTIRE supply chain is dry - I wish you the best - might want to advertise weekly gun store "GUN SHOW" days where peeps bring in their stuff and buyers pay YOU a transfer fee and buy cleaning supplies, holsters etc. Assuming you can get the peripheral stuff.

Good luck bro.
gates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013, 23:53   #7
chrsdwns
Registered

FALaholic #: 9846
Hey Gates, I get in there a lot - it's a nice shop.

Scottsdale Gun Club and Bear Arms seem to have been the first to run dry- it is Scottsdale after all.

It's quite a trip to see entire walls once crammed with guns 100% empty at both places.

I heard mid Feb for re stock on many items from others and stuff does seem to be dribbling in.

The US has a massive surge capacity to make AR-15 stuff so things will pick up soon unless they hold off on ramping up.

"There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as a result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."
~~Ludwig Von Mises

...when poets buy guns, tourist season is over................Walter R. Mead.
chrsdwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 02:08   #8
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Prices are going up

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2977842/posts

"U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer today called on the nation’s largest gun retailers to participate in a temporary moratorium on selling assault-style rifles until Congress has considered legislation to reduce gun violence.

>snip

A copy of Schumer’s letter can be found below:

Michael Duke Chief Executive Officer Wal-Mart

Thomas Millner Chief Executive Officer Cabela’s

James Hagale Chief Executive Officer Bass Pro Shops

David Pratt Chief Executive Officer Gander Mountain

Darrell Webb Chief Executive Officer Sports Authority

Rodney Faldyn Chief Executive Officer Academy Sports and Outdoors

Steven G. Miller Chief Executive Officer Big Five Sports

Dear Mr. Duke, Mr. Millner, Mr. Hagale, Mr. Pratt, Mr. Webb, Mr. Faldyn, and Mr. Miller,

I write today with a heavy heart; the tragedy that occurred in Newtown, Connecticut, has left an indelible imprint on our national psyche. As a parent, my heart goes out to all of those who lost loved ones in the tragedy as well as the survivors. The people of Newtown —and all our fellow Americans—will have a long journey to try to understand how such a horrific event could occur. On a national level, there is a thoughtful discussion underway about specific legislative approaches to prevent a senseless massacre like this from occurring again. In the meantime, I respectfully request that you temporarily suspend all sales of assault rifles such as the Bushmaster .223 assault rifle and AK-47 rifle."

and wallmart may stop ordering ammo.

plus
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2977846/posts

On Friday, January 4, the owner of Noveske Rifleworks, 36-year-old John Noveske, was killed in a single-vehicle accident on Highway 260 in Oregon.

Only a day earlier, the lifeless body of 32-year-old Keith Ratliff was found at FPS Industries in Franklin County, Ga., just outside of Carnesville. He had been shot once in the head, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Ratliff was well known for a series of videos he produced
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 19:23   #9
motosapien
Registered

FALaholic #: 9349
I've often suspected that having a large somewhat black gun collection could turn into a liability. Look at England & Australia - you can bet that is where we are headed. I've spent the last couple years lightening my load so to speak and will continue at an accelerated pace this month. I don't need a dozen semi auto rifles and I don't plan to have them become worthless by executive order.

Interestingly our shops in Northern MN seem to be flush with firearms. Was in one of the big box stores the other day and they had dozens of handguns for sale at normal prices. Lots of bulk ammo too. So the shortages must be regional. Strange times........
Old January 15, 2013, 00:12   #10
chrsdwns
Registered

FALaholic #: 9846
The shortages are worst in areas where gun ownership is not as common and where yuppies fear the feral entitlement class and want to obtain the means to protect themselves while they still can.

In areas where guns are already pretty much at saturation levels and there are minimal threats, business is simply brisk.

"There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as a result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."
~~Ludwig Von Mises

...when poets buy guns, tourist season is over................Walter R. Mead.
chrsdwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2013, 06:01   #11
evan price
Registered

FALaholic #: 20480
Location: THE source for Ohio CCW => http://ohioccwforums.org/
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I'm one of the little guys. We are just about out of guns-------all kinds. None of our distributors have anything to sell us. We are getting ready to be open only 3-4 days a week down from 6 . Due to the economy, we are getting people come in and offer to sell their weapons but most are Fud guns and are in poor shape. The lack of inventory may kill off us little guys. Guys we usually make only $50 a pistol. We sold a new AR tonight--Core 15 for $1350 but that was our last-----we have no more. We do tranfers for $25. If the little guys go away forget the $ 25 transfers and expect them to be + $100 for the big guys left..
So- run all the little guys with low priced transfers out of business.
Pass laws ending private-party transactions and force all gun sales to be done through dealers.
Now the only dealers left are chargin high dollars for a basic transfer.
Those high prices leave out most of the people who don't have folding money from being able to buy guns.
Checkmate.
Old January 16, 2013, 15:03   #12
gates
Registered

FALaholic #: 129
Here comes the bag of shot.
gates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2013, 08:15   #13
gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 1176
In Kenai here in Alaska Sportsman's Whse had at least 10 or more AR's of various configs in the rack. Price was around a grand.

Saw my first Savage .338 Lapua Model 110BA. Dang that thing is big. Wanted $2k for that.

Better living through chemistry.

Last edited by gman; January 17, 2013 at 08:21.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote