The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old June 15, 2018, 09:55   #51
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Kelly, I have a side by side I can trailer up to the match if needed. Just let me know.

Since participation in these things is now top priority on my bucket list, I restarted my previous fitness regimen. I had to stop due to employment schedule changes. However recently told my employer that I WAS going to be late 3 days a week in order to attend my 90 minute workouts. Progress is coming along faster than expected, so this weekend I am going to try and do a walk for 2 miles in the heat to see if I have any issues. If none come up, I WILL be signing up for the 3K.

I won't be doing a lot of running, but hopefully I will be able to maintain a brisk walking pace by the time the match is on us.

And for those that are wondering - three 90 minute sessions per week of Bikram Yoga:

Bikram yoga is like no other. Yes, it’s challenging — you will perform physical postures in a heated room. But with great challenges come great, lasting and dramatic benefits.

You’ll get in better shape and become more flexible. You’ll develop the ability to keep your mind quiet and focused for 90 minutes. You’ll discover an exercise plan for life; one that keeps your spine, joints and soft tissues strong and moving without pain as you age.

And you’ll develop a mind awareness of the body which helps you recognize your physical and mental responses to stress. You’ll be able to alter these habitual reaction patterns with healing breath and movement.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018, 11:43   #52
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Good on ya tac40
Old June 15, 2018, 12:29   #53
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Way to go, Tac - yoga rocks!
Old June 15, 2018, 12:47   #54
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
That's AWESOME Tac, good for you. I've done bikram once and it was hot. At least you'll be well acclimated to the summer weather I would love to see you compete in the 3k.
"All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death."

“What do you fear, lady?"

"A cage, to stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018, 16:59   #55
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Thanks all. It is funny how my family doc was all heck yeah and go ahead when I discussed me starting the Bikram style. Which is kind of odd since I was diagnosed with COPD. Heat and humidity are key factors to avoid with COPD. That said, I did experience a little pulmonary distress on my very first session but learned to control and cope with the heat and humidity. And according to my doc, the severity of my COPD lessened while I was a practitioner of yoga. Since starting again I can feel the improvement after each session.

Once this rain stops, I'll be heading out to the track to try for 2 miles (3K=1.86 mi) at a decent pace (anything under 40-45 minutes).

And if things work out, I will be carrying FN products all the way. No FAL, but a SCAR 17H and FNX9.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old June 15, 2018, 19:02   #56
kotengu
Registered

Was the pulmonary distress from the heat and the yoga, or being surrounded by a ton of hot flexible sweaty chicks?
Old June 15, 2018, 19:33   #57
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
If you don't reset the targets then I'll probably add another penalty like 'unsportsmanlike conduct' or something, 30 seconds or something like that. We'll be reminding you though as you're getting off anyway.
So RO keeps the card until they have reset the targets?

Yes, Yes...South Carolina. You people...chopping up your states.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018, 07:28   #58
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
You people...chopping up your states.
We had a conversation about this with several PhD's the other day, and nobody could come up with the answer. Mebbe someone here knows:

West Virginia split off from Virginia over the Civil War. Why did North and Souh Carolina split?
Old June 16, 2018, 08:07   #59
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Read this: http://www.ushistory.org/us/5c.asp

And this: https://www.landofthebrave.info/lords-proprietors.htm

Happened very early in the formations of the colonies.

And somewhere in there my predecessors were given a Land Grant of 2000 acres in the Piedmont of the Carolinas. Not sure what happened after that, but convinced we picked the wrong side, as usual.

Old June 16, 2018, 10:01   #60
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Just got back from the track. 2 miles <40 minutes. Not a world record, but pretty good for a guy that got winded walking up a flight of stairs. 89°, 64% humidity, no wind, blue jeans, t shirt, and hiking boots. Not bad for an old fat guy. Oh, almost forgot the blue tooth playing some golden oldies from the 60's.

No issues during the exercise, just had to concentrate on maintaining the pace. Halfway through it was too easy to slip into a stroll.

Off to Practiscore to sign up.

Old Yesterday, 06:23   #61
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:
So RO keeps the card until they have reset the targets?

Yes, Yes...South Carolina. You people...chopping up your states.
Yeah that's a good idea. Plus RO can be filling out your time/etc as you reset.

I had a dream last night that it was Carolina run and gun day and I didn't have anything done. All of my FAL friends were filing in and I was trying to help everyone get accommodated while realizing I didn't have trophies ready, course marked, LOL. #firstworldMDproblems
"All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death."

“What do you fear, lady?"

"A cage, to stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:51   #62
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

It does change the way you see matches.

"Dang that's cool!" becomes "Damn, that must have been hard to set up!"

Old Yesterday, 14:52   #63
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
but convinced we picked the wrong side, as usual.
But, you're our friend...OIC.

Old Yesterday, 16:50   #64
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
I had a dream last night that it was Carolina run and gun day and I didn't have anything done. All of my FAL friends were filing in and I was trying to help everyone get accommodated while realizing I didn't have trophies ready, course marked, LOL. #firstworldMDproblems
Hahaha - been there!
Old Yesterday, 20:57   #65
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yeah that's a good idea. Plus RO can be filling out your time/etc as you reset.

Actually.

If you don't have a dog...and/or it doesn't like skunks...and/or you wouldn't drag it back into the hotel after it got skanked, you would probably be forgiven everything on your list.

The forgiveness bar has been set pretty low.

Old Yesterday, 20:57   #66
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

If you didn't have that dream, you'd never be a good match director. The worrying stops when the last competitor drives off into the sunset after the prizes, accolades, and party goers have left. Then it start all over again, worrying about the next match a year away. You did a fantastic job at the Military Match you put on last year. It was very successful all because of you and your hard work and planning.

Just make sure your staff know how you want the match/stages/admin done and let them take the load off your shoulders. The good people with take care of you and the match, making things run smoothly. You just need to check up on them occasionally. Ask Stimpy about letting the staff do most of the work.

Speaking of work, I am coming up on Thursday. If need be, I can come up early, go straight to the range (around 10 or 11 a.m.) and help set up if needed. I can also bring my portable power tools to assist in building stuff. Just let me know.

Old Yesterday, 21:35   #67
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
The forgiveness bar has been set pretty low.

Don't forget awarding the trophies to the wrong guys.