Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old June 15, 2018, 13:13   #1
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Smith vs Shaft

Had some time to visit the range today so I decided to run a side by side accuracy comparison of a S&W Air weight 642-2 and an old Charter Arms Undercover. Both are chambered in .38 Special. The Charter Arms with its faux pearl grips makes me think of The original "Shaft" movie where Richard Roundtree keeps his Colt Detective Special with pearl grips in the refrigerator. So I've nicknamed this Charter, the "Shaft Special". Clearly this Smith has better accuracy than this Charter. Ammo used for both was .38 Special 158gr SWC. Distance, 7 yards. Both revolvers were fired DA only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaftgun.jpg (242.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg shafttarget.jpg (87.9 KB, 22 views)
Southern 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018, 14:48   #2
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
That Charter Arms in the photo is kind of rough looking IMHO. But it seems to shoot okay.

Years ago a neighbor lady told me that she was leaving the state and moving to the east coast. She had a Charter Arms Undercover .38 Special and didn't want to take it with her. So she made me a gift of it and ten rounds of Winchester +P 158 grain LSWCHP ammo. I thanked her and then I cleaned the rather dirty piece and thought about what I wanted to do with it.

I own a fair number of J frame S&W's in .38 Special so I decided to take it to my favorite LGS and put it on consignment sale. I priced it at $150 in order to insure a quick sale. It was sold in just two days.

Back in the early 1980's I bought a new Charter Arms stainless .44 Special Bulldog with the three inch barrel. I wanted a .44 Special and it was the only one being offered at the time. Turned out to be a real piece of crap. Sold it just to get rid of it.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote