The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old June 09, 2018, 07:51   #1
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
S&W 29 with Changeable Barrels

Friend of mine asked me what I thought a Model 29 Smith in 44 mag with two changeable barrels was worth.
I said that I had never heard of such a thing.

Turns out, the owner had it customized to accept the barrel changes.

Thoughts?
Old June 09, 2018, 07:53   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bout tree fiddy 2.jpg (19.7 KB, 69 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2018, 09:59   #3
SmokeEater2
Old grouchy bastid
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10990
I'm curious who did the work? I've never heard of that conversion either.

Maybe someone stamped Model 29 on a Dan Wesson?
SmokeEater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2018, 17:39   #4
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
My mind went to Dan Wesson as well. But I have also learnt never say never.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2018, 20:28   #5
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Value is going to depend largely on who did the work, and how badly a prospective buyer wants it. If a well known revolversmith did the work, that will help tremendously, especially if the current owner has documentation. If an unknown did the work, not so much.
Old June 10, 2018, 06:42   #6
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Im curious to see how they went about it...

I have a hand full of smiths with different length fitted changable barrels, but they sure arent quick changeable in the field.
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 08:48   #7
SmokeEater2
Old grouchy bastid
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Im curious to see how they went about it...

I have a hand full of smiths with different length fitted changable barrels, but they sure arent quick changeable in the field.

Who did the work on yours? I'd like to see some pics of the interchangeable barrel system, Sounds pretty cool.
Old June 10, 2018, 09:11   #8
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post
Who did the work on yours? I'd like to see some pics of the interchangeable barrel system, Sounds pretty cool.
Maybe I was unclear....
I have some Smiths with companion fitted barrels, not an 'interchangeable barrel system' as your thinking.
The barrels are already fitted to and kept with a particular gun,,,, but require cross pin removal, an action wrench and wood barrel blocks in a bench vise to switch.
This requires half an hr in the shop....not something you do in the field.
Old June 10, 2018, 10:18   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Interesting, but the concept doesn't really appeal to me. The cost of gunsmithing the project plus the parts would cover, or nearly so, a second gun with alternate desired barrel length. One gun is good, two guns is more good, my take,YMMV.

A 44 Maggie with a 5" or 6" barrel covers all the bases I need a gun of that caliber for. I have a 4", but feel it's a tad short, do I need mention, it's more than a tad too loud.?

A friend had a 8 3/8" barreled M 29, but while great for handgun hunting (not my thing)), it was what you might call ungainly for most purposes. Cool as shit however!
Old June 11, 2018, 06:04   #10
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Interesting, but the concept doesn't really appeal to me. The cost of gunsmithing the project plus the parts would cover, or nearly so, a second gun with alternate desired barrel length. One gun is good, two guns is more good, my take,YMMV.

A 44 Maggie with a 5" or 6" barrel covers all the bases I need a gun of that caliber for. I have a 4", but feel it's a tad short, do I need mention, it's more than a tad too loud.?

A friend had a 8 3/8" barreled M 29, but while great for handgun hunting (not my thing)), it was what you might call ungainly for most purposes. Cool as shit however!
Granted,,, thats all very true..

But would you take a 6" bbl on your 29 for a C note ?
Thats the most I have into any single one of mine,,,and most cost me much less. or were traded for with ammo...(really wish I still had that police dept impound source )
Just saying,,,
Old June 11, 2018, 07:17   #11
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Granted,,, thats all very true..

But would you take a 6" bbl on your 29 for a C note ?
Just saying,,,
Tough question because I have a 6" M 629 and a 6 1/2" M29, but point taken and answer being "durn tootin", I would.

Wasn't meaning to cast any negative waves on the multi-barrel concept if that is what someone wants. It's a hobby, enjoy it as one likes, more interesting to all that way.

Many moons ago, a friend showed up with a .357 Dan Wesson Multi pack with six or eight barrels, I forget. We had fun trying all the versions for a while. After six months or so of this, he had settled on the 6" barrel and that's all I saw him use for the next three years until he traded it for a 44 Mag.
I expect that has something to do with my current opinion.

I make it a rule to not badmouth another mans gun, wife or dog, whichever, no good ever comes from it, but Bug asked for thoughts and them is mine.
Old June 11, 2018, 07:41   #12
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
There's a reason Dan Wesson doesn't fly the Interchangeabble Barrel Flag anymore. Just saying..

Last edited by sniperdoc; June 11, 2018 at 13:55.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018, 18:47   #13
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
There's a reason Dan Wesson doesn't fly the Interchangeabble Barrel Flag anymore. Just saying..
Really - I have two a 15 and 15-2 and both work very well

After CZ bought them - no revolvers for awhile but they are back to
making 357's

http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/715-revolver/

The 715 is as it was before – designed and built to be the most accurate, rugged and versatile revolver on the market. Shipped with a 6 inch barrel, the new shroud is designated the HV6, a heavy vent shroud profile that tames the .357’s recoil very well.

The double action trigger is short and relatively light, while the single action is light and crisp. The target-like SA trigger pull made the Dan Wesson revolver a favorite among competitors and hunters, and the tradition continues in the 715.

Barrel assemblies and grips are easily swapped by the shooter, and the 715 accepts grips and barrel/shroud assemblies from 15-2 model and newer revolvers.

The original Dan Wesson revolver improved on the accuracy and service life of the traditional double action revolver design in a few ways. The tensioned barrel of the DW interchangeable barrel system enhances accuracy, pulling the barrel tight like a guitar string, enabling it to vibrate at the same frequency every time. The forward crane latch, located in front of the cylinder and paired with a rear ball detent helps to ensure proper cylinder/barrel alignment during firing. Superior to the rear locking designs of other revolvers, it adds to the accuracy of the 715.

While the tensioned barrel definitely improves accuracy above other revolvers, it’s the consistent cylinder/barrel alignment that contributes most to the accuracy of the design.

Additionally, the clockwise-rotating cylinder reduces stress on the crane, since it turns in the same direction the crane locks, prolonging service life and keeping everything tight. The 715’s frame is robust, built to handle the heaviest of factory loads.

Each revolver is shipped in a custom Dan Wesson hard case. Patterned after the ever-popular Pistol Pack, each case has compartments for three additional barrel assemblies and factory-supplied barrel wrench kit. The 715 Pistol Pack ships with 4, 6 and 8 inch barrel lengths.

SPECIFICATIONS

715 Revolver 715 Revolver Pistol Pack SKU 1932
Model 715 Revolver Caliber .357 Magnum
Frame Material Cast Stainless Steel
MSRP $1,558 Product Name 715 Revolver
Old June 11, 2018, 19:51   #14
SmokeEater2
Old grouchy bastid
Bronze Contributor

The most accurate revolver I've ever owned was a 6 inch blue Dan Wesson in .357 magnum, Fool that I was in my early 20's I traded it off.

I still mourn that stupid decision and I will own another one like it some day.

I'm glad to see that DW is offering revolvers again but the price is a wee bit steep for me.
Old June 11, 2018, 22:16   #15
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
More Info...

Like pulling teeth getting info from my friend.

Here is some clarification:

The previous owner had a new barrel installed - he went from a 6" to a 4". The barrels are changeable in that it takes gunsmith type tools to change the barrels and not something you do in the back of your pickup at the range.

It is a model 29-2. Serial number puts the mfr date around 1958 which appears to conflict with the introduction date for the model 29-2 in the early 1960s.

$1,000 for the pistol plus the original 6" barrel.

Thoughts now that things have been clarified?
Old June 12, 2018, 06:48   #16
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post

Thoughts now that things have been clarified?
It's a shooter revolver with an extra OEM part (barrel).

Value it as such.

Without pictures or more details, I'm speculating...

I think $800 would be a generous offer if it is in excellent overall condition, considering the original 6 inch barrel may fetch $100-$200.

Stocks (grips) are an important factor, too.
Are they magnas, targets, diamonds or no, stags, Roper's, football cutout or no, Coke's?

If there is documentation showing the barrel swap was done at the Mother Ship, that changes things, too.

It may or may not be a decent buy at $1000 but more info is required.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 12:21   #17
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful View Post
Really - I have two a 15 and 15-2 and both work very well

After CZ bought them - no revolvers for awhile but they are back to
making 357's

http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/715-revolver/

The 715 is as it was before Ė designed and built to be the most accurate, rugged and versatile revolver on the market. Shipped with a 6 inch barrel, the new shroud is designated the HV6, a heavy vent shroud profile that tames the .357ís recoil very well.

The double action trigger is short and relatively light, while the single action is light and crisp. The target-like SA trigger pull made the Dan Wesson revolver a favorite among competitors and hunters, and the tradition continues in the 715.

Barrel assemblies and grips are easily swapped by the shooter, and the 715 accepts grips and barrel/shroud assemblies from 15-2 model and newer revolvers.

The original Dan Wesson revolver improved on the accuracy and service life of the traditional double action revolver design in a few ways. The tensioned barrel of the DW interchangeable barrel system enhances accuracy, pulling the barrel tight like a guitar string, enabling it to vibrate at the same frequency every time. The forward crane latch, located in front of the cylinder and paired with a rear ball detent helps to ensure proper cylinder/barrel alignment during firing. Superior to the rear locking designs of other revolvers, it adds to the accuracy of the 715.

While the tensioned barrel definitely improves accuracy above other revolvers, itís the consistent cylinder/barrel alignment that contributes most to the accuracy of the design.

Additionally, the clockwise-rotating cylinder reduces stress on the crane, since it turns in the same direction the crane locks, prolonging service life and keeping everything tight. The 715ís frame is robust, built to handle the heaviest of factory loads.

Each revolver is shipped in a custom Dan Wesson hard case. Patterned after the ever-popular Pistol Pack, each case has compartments for three additional barrel assemblies and factory-supplied barrel wrench kit. The 715 Pistol Pack ships with 4, 6 and 8 inch barrel lengths.

SPECIFICATIONS

715 Revolver 715 Revolver Pistol Pack SKU 1932
Model 715 Revolver Caliber .357 Magnum
Frame Material Cast Stainless Steel
MSRP $1,558 Product Name 715 Revolver

I'm not saying DWs weren't great revolvers -they were. I haven't tried the new ones.
My comment referred to the fact that every DW owner I ever talked with didn't change the barrels; they didn't even WANT the extra barrels. I always thought the concept was neat, but apparently it ultimately was a failure, since they dropped it. However, since it's back,maybe they think it will sell. Maybe they will make a 44Mag setup, I might even be interested
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote