The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old January 04, 2018, 02:47   #1
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
80% Ghost Guns

Does anyone here have any opinion on finishing 80 poly frames to make your own Glock. Some people call these "ghost guns" because of the lack of background checks in their manufacture.
PARA FN FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 06:42   #2
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARA FN FAL View Post
Does anyone here have any opinion on finishing 80 poly frames to make your own Glock. Some people call these "ghost guns" because of the lack of background checks in their manufacture.
The group of people who coined the term want to imply guns being built in those receivers are made only by baby killing criminals who wrap live baby seals on their tires during the winter.

I myself only use baby seals to balance the radiator fan...
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 07:39   #3
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Hey it's legal to build one. I'm sure criminals can get stolen guns quicker that require far less effort.. I'm not sure the average stick up guy wants to spend 2 days doing this. Most of these builds (some are most likely buggered up or will never be built) work well with effort, but they do require patience and thoughtfulness, something the low level criminal has little of:

Old January 04, 2018, 17:42   #4
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
The getting around the back ground check is not a problem for me and I don't care if the feds know what I have or not. What I was a little more interested in was are these frames the same polymer as a Glock or other brand name manufactures and how do these hold up compared to a factory Glock. And what about assembling the slides. Is there an opinion about quality and suppliers?
PARA FN FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 16:17   #5
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post

Century Arms box in background. Just sayin.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 07:25   #6
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARA FN FAL View Post
The getting around the back ground check is not a problem for me and I don't care if the feds know what I have or not. What I was a little more interested in was are these frames the same polymer as a Glock or other brand name manufactures and how do these hold up compared to a factory Glock. And what about assembling the slides. Is there an opinion about quality and suppliers?
Jokes apart (I might need to get more live baby seals to balance the crankshaft), when they first came out I remember reading they were missing some metal strengthening bit, but that supposedly has been solved in most brands.

I also do know those kits have driven the price of the slides (AR crowd would call them upper receivers ) up a lot. That would make me think a lot were sold, and yet I do not remember reading someone complaining it failed. Also, I do not see many of the original slides being sold (ebay/gunbroker/whatever) by individuals; mostly come from business (I wonder if they were seized weapons they were able to get the slides before being destroyed), which could mean that either the builds were successful or the builder was so ashamed he just tossed it on the back of the safe/attic. Bottom line is if you build it properly it should work fine.

Pricewise it does not make sense: americanweaponscomponents.com and 80percentlowers.com had a complete (slide, 80%, internal bits) Glock 19 kit for around $600 and that was with a Christmas sale. And, you can buy complete factory Glock receivers many times for less than a 80% go for. But, sometimes it is more fun to build/assemble one yourself; I mean, in the end you do have the satisfaction knowing you made it the way you wanted.

Last year some company was selling the 80% for $60 but I never got any. If I could find them for $50, even if defective, I would get them and make a bookshelf just to annoy certain people.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018, 04:05   #7
Bertellione
Registered

FALaholic #: 66658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post
Hey it's legal to build one. I'm sure criminals can get stolen guns quicker that require far less effort.. I'm not sure the average stick up guy wants to spend 2 days doing this. Most of these builds (some are most likely buggered up or will never be built) work well with effort, but they do require patience and thoughtfulness, something the low level criminal has little of:

The first ones with the plastic rear rails take about 45 minutes the newer ones with stainless rear rails take about 15 minutes taking your time. I agree most criminals can get one cheaper than building one. If some one messes up the frame they have replaced them for no cost in the past.
Old January 15, 2018, 04:11   #8
Bertellione
Registered

FALaholic #: 66658
They hold up just fine haven't had a problem with either model. I really don't shoot the plastic railed 17 model anymore because of the 19 and have one in 9 and one dedicated for advantage arms 22 kit for the 19 so just shoot the 19 now. You have to take a little more time on the frame to get the 22 kit to function but well worth it and a better feel than the original 19 unless you get a gen 1 or 2.
Old February 27, 2018, 11:06   #9
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
I have whittled down my glocks. I kept a 29 and a mixmaster 19 that I took the long way around to assemble. It started when I found a complete 19 slide for my 23. So then I had two slides for the 23 and then I decided why not just buy a 19 lower so I can have two complete glocks, so I did. The 23 is now gone. So now I want to futz around with the mixmaster 19 so a P80 19 frame sounds like a nice little project. Upon successful completion of the P80 frame I intend to sell the 19 mixmaster frame.

No. It's not a disease. I can stop anytime when the internet is down....