The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Police Issues

Notices

Old January 18, 2019, 08:37   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
MA Police Officer Resigns Amid Investigation of Sale of German Luger

Never ask the PD to "hang on to a gun for safekeeping." One of the officers took the Luger a family wanted to keep away from their Dad and sold it for $650..

https://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...504224551.html

Part of the Story: Couldn't ebed the flash video from the article...interesting watch

Manchester-by-the-Sea Police Officer Resigns Amid Investigation of Sale of German Luger Gun

A Massachusetts police officer has resigned amid an internal investigation he allegedly sold a vintage German Luger pistol that was taken from the Manchester-by-the-Sea Police Department's storage.

Authorities said Howard Lewis had been placed on administrative leave on Dec. 15 after a resident went to the police station about a month earlier to retrieve a German Luger that had belonged to his father.

The weapon had been at the police department for safekeeping at the request of the owner's wife in 2014. Authorities said when the man went to retrieve it, the gun could not be located.

An internal investigation was launched and a department-wide email was sent inquiring about the missing Luger.

The investigation determined that Lewis sold the firearm through a licensed firearms dealer in Gloucester. Authorities said Lewis had received a check for $650.

Lewis, who was appointed to the department in June 2010, has since resigned.

Chief Edward Conley said the department has apologized to the family and reimbursed them for the firearm.

"In this instance, an officer circumvented the department's evidence system by failing to report that he was in possession of private property and then selling that property for his own gain," Conley said. "This action violated the public trust and violated the very mission of the Manchester Police Department, and I am satisfied with the outcome. I again extend my sincere apology to the family who was affected by these actions."

Conley said Lewis simply could not remain with the department after the investigation.

"I understand police officers are going to make mistakes," Conley said. "We're human beings. But when you violate the public trust, you can't be a police officer anymore."

The chief says the department has made progress since the time of the gun's theft.

"The policies we have in place today that were not in place in 2014 would prevent something like this from happening," Conley said.

Efforts to reach Lewis were not successful. He has lost his job and benefits, and he could lose his pension.

Authorities said there are no indications that any other firearms, evidence, or property is missing from the department's storage.

The Essex County District Attorney's Office says Lewis will not face any criminal charges.
Old January 18, 2019, 08:50   #2
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
And he will not be charged with the theft..........proving yet again how the thin blue line protects its own.
Old January 18, 2019, 09:29   #3
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
There is no possible way that the guy didn't know that wasn't his property to sell.

I too would ask for charges for theft and unlawful taking.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019, 11:50   #4
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post

Chief Edward Conley said the department has apologized to the family and reimbursed them for the firearm.
Yeah they didn't.

So many crappy cops giving a bad name to the few good ones hanging in there.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019, 13:00   #5
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
Pretty bald theft given that this was a "first" and only theft - cough, cough.
Old January 18, 2019, 13:17   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Mmm sold through a dealer and the cop got $650 for his share? Must have been a nice Luger. I doubt the folks were paid what the gun was really worth because if they would have said the gun was worth $2,000 or $3,000 then the theft is considered a higher crime.

In my opinion even though the cop was fired it shows how corrupt the blue line is becoming. In a real world if you soiled the name of your brother officers by being a thief and a liar you would be held fully accountable. To let him just leave shows its no big deal and happens all the time.
Old January 18, 2019, 16:31   #7
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Heís a human being. He made mistakes. So itís ok.
Crooked chief has to go.
Old January 18, 2019, 16:39   #8
sweetwine
Registered

FALaholic #: 21594
Why couldn't the dealer look up who it was sold to so it could go back to the family? Hope he kept records ATF should check him out.
sweetwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019, 17:16   #9
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwine View Post
Why couldn't the dealer look up who it was sold to so it could go back to the family? Hope he kept records ATF should check him out.
They were paid off so technically itís now property of the corrupt police department!
Old January 18, 2019, 17:20   #10
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Two-tiered justice system is a disgrace to the Republic.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019, 17:44   #11
John A
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwine View Post
In having been an FFL for almost a decade, I can say with certainty that it doesn't work like that. I'm sure he has a copy of who he bought it from and who he sold it to, but the dealer wouldn't have any way of knowing he was buying a stolen gun from the police.

My second point, unless it was reported stolen to the police, who are supposed to submit the information to the National Stolen Firearms database, it wouldn't come back as stolen anyway. Since the police department was responsible for the theft in the first place, again, brings me back to my first point.

FFL's cannot access the stolen firearm database to see if a used gun is stolen. Only police agencies are allowed to access it, which again brings me back to my first point.
Old January 18, 2019, 18:58   #12
fly2.0
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
In having been an FFL for almost a decade, I can say with certainty that it doesn't work like that. I'm sure he has a copy of who he bought it from and who he sold it to, but the dealer wouldn't have any way of knowing he was buying a stolen gun from the police.

My second point, unless it was reported stolen to the police, who are supposed to submit the information to the National Stolen Firearms database, it wouldn't come back as stolen anyway. Since the police department was responsible for the theft in the first place, again, brings me back to my first point.

FFL's cannot access the stolen firearm database to see if a used gun is stolen. Only police agencies are allowed to access it, which again brings me back to my first point.
I was told by a local dealer , They have a new number for dealer's to call , to ck for stolen weapon's . But It will only show up on a state level ?

I'll see if i can get that number for ya .
** Colt / FN All the way **
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019, 20:15   #13
John A
Registered

That would be fine, but I no longer have my FFL' anyway so it wouldn't do me any good now.

That was not available when I had them though, which was about 11 years ago now.
Old January 18, 2019, 23:00   #14
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
How is deliberately and with premeditation,selling a firearm that is not yours,a "mistake"? And selling it thru a licensed dealer? How did the dealer verify the pistol was lawfully owned by the officer? Is their a federal felony here? If it went over state lines?
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019, 23:26   #15
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Fired but not arrested. yeah, figures.
Old January 19, 2019, 08:25   #16
John A
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
How is deliberately and with premeditation,selling a firearm that is not yours,a "mistake"? And selling it thru a licensed dealer? How did the dealer verify the pistol was lawfully owned by the officer? Is their a federal felony here? If it went over state lines?
That was what I was referring to earlier.

When I had my FFL, there was no way for them to check whether a gun is reported stolen. And there lies the rub.

A junky could steal a gun, and a dealer may buy and resell a gun. In the meantime, the gun is reported stolen.

3 years later, the gun that you legally bought and paid for is checked by the police and you now are in possession of a stolen gun, which you didn't steal and bought legally and will be confiscated and returned to whoever reported it stolen.

There are no guarantees that you aren't buying a reportedly stolen gun even if you buy it from a licensed dealer and go through a background check.
Old January 20, 2019, 00:07   #17
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
This example was seriously bad Cop, no doughnut
The jackass never even logged the gun in with the department.

Now if you watch the video in the link they show what is alleged to be the actual gun.
It's either a stainless steel Mitchell Arms clone or it's been Hard Chromed meaning it's about a $600 gun either way but being MA it likely sells for more there.

Now something to be clear on is this shit happens all across America every day

John brought up great points but it goes way past what he mentioned.

1st of all, you just NEVER store your guns with the Popo
Here's the issue
after a certain period of time in every State they will become "Abandoned Property" and subject to destruction, sale or just given away within the good buddy network. This just depends on internal policy
For decades my County had no policy on abandoned or seized property
There was a pecking order to all this
Sheriff then Chief of Deputies then the Detective, finally the patrol officers based upon seniority

Now you guys need to understand Agencies, particularly rural ones only have limited secure storage space
I want EVERYONE to consider that in light of recent passage of red flag laws
you get your sorry ass flagged and guns seized do you think the coppers will sit on them forever ?
nope eventually they will get an abandonment decree and "disposed" of per internal policies.

Happened to an acquaintance. He was slammed with a made up restraining order. Judge ordered him to surrender all guns, he did
Bitch refiled the next two years on him, warned him to have his Attorney pick up his collection and give it to family
When bitch didn't refile and the RO lapsed he went into the Cop Shop
Guns had already been sold at Auction

No harm, no foul
Remember this

Many years ago back in the early 80s I had a very high end Sekini Racing bicycle stolen...like an $800 bike back then
I filed a report with SN
So a couple years pass, I'm at the LE Auction and there's my bike !
serious WTF moment
point out to the porker in charge it my stolen property
he was having no part of that unless I had the report and original bill of sale it was going up on the block

Okay FU fat ****
when my bike was rolled up I started just a yelling THAT BIKE'S STOLEN AND IT'S MINE
well short story is no one bid on it, bought it back for a dollar
typical piglet, threatens me with disorderly but I ruined that sale by that point
fatty was way seriously pissed and I still filed complaints with the County

So let's revamp that experience
I am here to tell you Agencies sell stolen property all the damn time even when they damn well know it's stolen

So take Gun Buy Backs
good share of stolen shit
extremely few make any effort to return things to their rightful owners

So what about other seized guns ?
well recently many agencies liquidate firearms as "parts kits"

https://everygunpart.com

I wager a good 50%+ of these kits were sourced from seizure guns on hot sheets
Now if you or I were buying stolen guns, stripping them down for sale as kits that's like not just receipt of stolen property but also destruction of evidence.
but it's all good in the biggie patrol
our laws don't really apply beyond the blue wall

I can seriously go off on this topic
FFL we did biz with in Iowa had a contract with Souix City to buy seizures
guy calls me, freakin' out bad
BATF had just raided the shop and seized a pile of guns that hit up as Stolen.
Well a shop customer had legally bought a piece, was hit in a raid by the Feds over dope. Gun turned up STOLEN
Of course the guy said Not Me and fingered the store

ATF made a big stink with threats on the FFL, I told him relax
whole matter went to the US Attorneys office, they declined prosecution
Guy lost just thousands of bucks between lost inventory & his own lawyer bills
and all because of shitbag Cops
I don't blame the Feds except they just refused to make an example of the tards who created that mess, Law Enforcement Courtesy we used to call it.

Crap like this that the OP posted is actually too common nationwide

Now I can give you the flip
not too many years ago a late relative lost hundreds of guns to Tweekers
We figure he had at least a couple thousand firearms before this started up
This was Washington State, Tacoma region
Pierce and King County returned several hundred recovered firearms to our family, some seriously pricey items that were seized at Meth house raids
I honestly loved those badges out there, just Good Solid Men trying to do the right thing by us all, still are

There was no BS demanding proof of anything
Officers in Tacoma, Seattle and elsewhere just rolled out racks piled with moldy guns. Yeah everything that came out of that place had a unique stench and it was well enough for all the Detectives involved to establish provenance.

Some things we just let the Counties keep
made me sick to give up a 1921 Colt but shit even though they seemed willing to backdoor us on it it just wasn't a wise thing
Instead I donated it to the SWAT team in return for their help clearing that house one day, same with a Colt BAR

Like I told them, I'd prefer you keep them as Department toys or you can trade them off on a form 10 to a SOT on new goodies
bunch of seriously fine folks

anyways dirtbags with badges is hardly anything new
The asshat in this article was a ten year veteran of his department
apparently the wife called 911 and gave the Luger to the dirty pig to get it out of hubby's hands.
Few years goes buy either the Man himself or family want it back but it was never logged in, asshat just sold it to a local FFL buddy as does happen

again this kind of shit happens all the time

I grew up getting piggie perks
when I started trapping in grade school Dad brought me over to the local Wardens home, old cranky bastard GAVE ME a few dozen seized Victors to get this kid started.

Used to have Cop buddies that would show up with sealed bottles from DUI stops

Hell my 1st GPS was such a freebie
Someone found an Igloo Cooler on the shoulder of the highway
inside was a new in the box Garmin handheld wrapped in a towel
guy turns it in, after a year the Chief sez clean the junk out. Bud stops by, hands it to me. This was like before the mid 90s maybe

Some assume I am anti LE
not even close
That GPS likely blew out of the back of some idiot tourists pickup box
after a year or two it was no ones property until it was given to me.

Something to remember is even had this shitter entered that crappy Luger with his department, by the time it was demanded returned it would have likely already been declared as an Abandonment thus either sold or destroyed

That's the actual breech of so called "Public Trust" his former chief was going at
that the jurisdiction didn't get their own cut of the profit
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2019, 18:08   #18
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
That was what I was referring to earlier.

When I had my FFL, there was no way for them to check whether a gun is reported stolen. And there lies the rub.

A junky could steal a gun, and a dealer may buy and resell a gun. In the meantime, the gun is reported stolen.

3 years later, the gun that you legally bought and paid for is checked by the police and you now are in possession of a stolen gun, which you didn't steal and bought legally and will be confiscated and returned to whoever reported it stolen.

There are no guarantees that you aren't buying a reportedly stolen gun even if you buy it from a licensed dealer and go through a background check.
We had a funny one here. Guy reports a stolen gun and after some time it's found. He decides he doesn't want it so he sells it but in the sale BC it comes up stolen and stops the sale. Cops didn't take it off the stolen list when it was returned to owner. Took about two weeks to get everything straightened out.
Old January 21, 2019, 16:57   #19
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Fired but not arrested. yeah, figures.
felony theft of a firearm. dude needs to go to jail.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesnít appeal to you, youíre a frikkin' pansy. Also, youíre probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2019, 17:51   #20
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
felony theft of a firearm. dude needs to go to jail.
Won't happen

Odds are the Jackass might even get a positive referral from the Chief

Back in the late 80s we had a County Copper that resigned over a bunch of criminal shit. Guy was tied into a mess of thefts, even was screwing a 15 year old girl.
So he ends up getting an office job with the in laws Car Dealership
Four years later busted for nearly 100K embezzlement.
Guess what, the County Sheriff was a character witness for him.

There were other jokers on that force that never should have held a badge that had to resign.
In every damn case they were given glowing referrals and migrated to a new jurisdiction, followed up on some. Found they had resigned from the new job and were somewhere else still copping.

Odds are this clown will get a brand shiny new badge elsewhere just for the asking

we used to refer to them as "Gypsy Cops"
never anywhere for long
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote