The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old November 17, 2017, 07:28   #101
beseventeen
Registered

FALaholic #: 75901
You think the 5k is actually gonna be a 5k? Because I kinda wanna run both the 5k and the 10k for fun You know how hard it is for me to just pick one rifle to do this with.
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 07:31   #102
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
You think the 5k is actually gonna be a 5k? Because I kinda wanna run both the 5k and the 10k for fun You know how hard it is for me to just pick one rifle to do this with.
Kotengu's measurements are much more precise than mine.
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 11:54   #103
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Yes. 5k is dead on 5.0k. 10k is 9.93k. These are 2D measurements though, so by the time you add the vertical displacement you'll probably end up at 47k or something.

I'm afraid the way this is set up you won't be able to run both in one day like you did last weekend (gad - has that ONLY been a week ago?!?!). The 5k race is on Saturday and we'll have an awards ceremony for it Saturday night. The 10k race is on Sunday and its awards ceremony will be Sunday night. There are several folks that have asked about staying all weekend and running both days, and of course that would be great! If enough people go for the "15k Challenge". I'll come up with some special award for the winner of the combined races.
Old November 17, 2017, 14:30   #104
kotengu
Registered

I'm happy to announce Rockcastle Training (https://www.rockcastleshootingcenter.com/online-store https://www.facebook.com/rockcastletraining/) has agreed to not only sponsor an obstacle, but design and build it as well! Justin Vititoe already asked me if he could make everyone start a fire with a bow drill as the "obstacle" - I told him we'd be there all day long waiting for people to finish!

I would love to see a hundred bow drills going in the parking lot after the match though. Be sure to come to one of Justin's classes so you can learn how to do it - and post up here some ideas for him to consider for obstacles!

Old November 17, 2017, 14:52   #105
beseventeen
Registered

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post

I'm afraid the way this is set up you won't be able to run both in one day like you did last weekend (gad - has that ONLY been a week ago?!?!). The 5k race is on Saturday and we'll have an awards ceremony for it Saturday night. The 10k race is on Sunday and its awards ceremony will be Sunday night. There are several folks that have asked about staying all weekend and running both days, and of course that would be great! If enough people go for the "15k Challenge". I'll come up with some special award for the winner of the combined races.
Ooof. My only saving grace running 2x last weekend was that I dove into the second one 45 minutes later, before the soreness/bruises set up. The thought of strapping on all that gear to my beat up body the day after does give me a little bit of pause...

but you know how I have a penchant for suffering, so there's that...
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 18:32   #106
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
make everyone start a fire with a bow drill as the "obstacle"
NUTTZ wants to dig a foxhole?
Now we have to build a fire with a stick & a string?
Next will we will need to chip out a stone knife from flint and chase down a deer to stab with it???
Heck I have already offered to bring the jawbone of an ass to slay Philistines. I have two, so no wait line if you want to get creative!

Now our friend B17 is not exactly of "sound mind" with wanting to run two runs the same weekend and all, but at least she had "normal" obstacles like bayonet charges and hand grenade tosses at her match.

Just sayin'
Old November 17, 2017, 21:36   #107
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Next will we will need to chip out a stone knife from flint and chase down a deer to stab with it???
I like the way you think!

B17 - you'll run the 5k first. You'll be just getting warmed up when you hit the finish line, and you won't even be bruised up at all. And then a fine meal and a good night's sleep and you'll be ready to tackle the 10k. Piece of cake, especially after tackling the 25k only a few months earlier in Oklahoma.

(Easy for a guy to say who's running the 10k first thing Friday and then spending the rest of the weekend focusing on everybody else's suffering)
Old November 17, 2017, 23:26   #108
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Next will we will need to chip out a stone knife from flint
This is actually on my short list. A good friend brought me some antlers to make snippy tools from.

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017, 07:01   #109
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
...(Easy for a guy to say who's running the 10k first thing Friday and then spending the rest of the weekend focusing on everybody else's suffering)
Let HIM paint all the F@cking targets this time!
Old November 18, 2017, 09:41   #110
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Let HIM paint all the F@cking targets this time!
Your stage is so easy this year you'll be bitching because you're bored. Paint the targets once a day. Bring an easy chair and binoculars. Practice shouting "hit".
Old November 18, 2017, 18:46   #111
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
^

FTW.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56   #112
kotengu
Registered

Stage 5 (10k): Shooter's Choice
Cedar Point

On the buzzer, hit 4 steel pistol targets from first position/barricade strong hand only. Move to second position/barricade and hit 4 more steel pistol targets weak hand only. Move to third position (VTAC wall) and hit 4 final steel pistol targets. The first 12 pistol targets will range from 10 to 25 yds. Make two hits on a B/C zone steel torso at 50 yds to finish. Shooter can either make those 50 yd hits with his pistol, or safely holster his hot pistol, unsling and load his rifle, and make those hits with his rifle.

Training tip: If you can reliably make 50yd hits with your pistol you'll have a HUGE time advantage over those who have to transition to rifle to make the last two hits. Put in some practice time making longer pistol hits and it will pay off well! Oh yeah - practice shooting a pistol strong hand only, weak hand only, and from awkward positions too. :-)

Old Yesterday, 23:05   #113
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Can I bring a wheelbarrow to carry all the loaded mags and ammo so I can actually hit all of these targets eventually?

You guys are really getting advanced . . .

Keep going!