The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old November 15, 2017, 10:02   #751
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have over 100,000 capacitors, resistors and other electonic parts in Faraday boxes. Also ocilliscopes, meters and such to do repairs. If you require any specialized medical equipment then spare or double spares in Faraday boxes. Also someome needs the skills to repair electonics. We need tools and communications for situational awareness. Need air filtration to work so learn or recruit someone that lives in four hours walking distance of you. We have two doctors on list whos office is a 10 minute jog from house and both are distance runners. They live a 30 minute jog from house. I don't want to send people out to know what's going on around us. Why much of my perimeter alarm is Vietnam era and not prone to issues from EMP. Some will go back to pre Christ era technology with modern twist.

Hate to admit this but posted enough pictures that my belief is every household should have a dozen rifles can fight with along with small bore for small game and a few long range rifles. Each fighting rifle needs spare parts and enough ammo to run it till it quits. A good AR 15 will munch 20,000 rounds with maintenance. A M1a or Garrand is good for 10,000 but be sloppy toward end. My sniping rifles have anywhere from 700 round to 5,000 round barrel life. A 7mm Practical will smoke the throat before 1,000 rounds but is a rule changer. An AR 10 in 6XC will run 5,000 plus accurate rounds in the 800 to 1,000 yard range. So rifles and handguns to support however many people feel may adopt. I would consider a quarter million rimfire, 100,000 5.56, same in 7.62 NATO minimum. Am prepared to arm my dozen plus another if necessary.

When it comes apart have to think about all your friends and relatives that will show up, how many can you support? Any that are dead weight, turn away. Have one friend with zero conscious whose job will be to filter anyone not on the list. Many may get shot if protest not allowed in the house. But people with no skills or ability to learn will drag you down. Social liberals don't come in the door. One person on our list is a psychiatrist who says 9 to 12 people is maximum house can support without cabin fever causing us to kill each other. Have three houses inside 1/3 mile will either burn with residents inside if no help shows or sweep and use to house overflow. Yep, it will be a cruel world. Our shrink has two years supply of best mood leveling medication on market for at least 10 people on site. Says will prescribe based on how each person reacts to close quarters and stress. May just put in food supply.

Everything else is mission, region, situation specific. If bugging in or bugging out. We have created a home that bugging in is best solution, especially with health issues. My wife is in bad health but a dentist even in a wheelchair that can run the radios, surveillance systems and shoot is worth keeping. My job will be to train my replacement as in five years run out of the medications required to live. If have a medication you need to live, stockpile it. There are some better meds for my issues but have short shelf life. Use the ones that work but store longest. Main thing is have a plan and ability to be fluid as situation evolves. My plan is create a hive and then set it up to continue after they burn my dead carcass.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017, 10:40   #752
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Small DC low voltage devices will be less succeptible to an EMP as not generally attached to grid. Also can recharge batteries for a long time if know how to keep them sharp. Have rchargable NiCad batteries dated as going into service back to 2007 still in service. This is tail end of bi monthly battery check and charge cycle. Some just charged, others cycled three discharge/charge cycles and some run on refresh or break in cycles. This is my bedroom charging station, have another downstairs and one at work. Day one of odd months start battery duty.

Every flashlight, radio, remote control and any device that uses DC small batteries got fresh batteries last week and been charging all that came out plus dead ones that collect in the discharge baskets for two weeks. Larger batteries and tool batteries plus some small done downstairs and tool plus small needed at work done there. Whenever buy a new flashlight or device buy more recharges to go with it and write month and year put into service on them with sharpie marker. Even have rechargeable CR123 and button batteries. When all are charged and devices full have over 200 assorted size and type AA, AAA, C, D, CR123, etc ready to swap in as devices go dead.

One of these go in my pocket or on belt everyday in case phone runs low during the day so no worries about overusing phone. Have AA versions in all my overt vests with 5v output and a second with 12v output for backup power of radios, phones and other electronics.

Be ready to if whatever emergency hits to run your small devices without worry. Flashlights, phones, radios and such are as important as big generators for structures. I even swapped in fresh batteries for all the night vision and weapons lights. Have a system and list to ensure all are rotated regularly so don't find a device ruined by corroded batteries or picked up to use in a fight and weapons sight be dead or die in few minutes due to weak batteries. Knowing have enough flashlights and hot batteries to run a month as primary light sources before charge anything is peace of mind and can charge off my big battery stacks if grid down and don't want to run generators.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old November 16, 2017, 22:26   #753
legolas1
Registered

FALaholic #: 34296
Huey, interesting stuff, thanks for the info. Just wondering, how long until all the batteries run out of juice? Considering an EMP in which all the electricity is gone for the foreseeable future, no gas for generators, no spare parts for breakage, no repair or resupply available, how long can the batteries be recharged? Will solar cells survive an EMP? Deep cycle batteries will last for a while but eventually run out of cycle life, and there would be no replacement.

If one had limited resources to prepare, would wood stoves, oil lamps and candles cost less and endure longer?
legolas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017, 22:39   #754
legolas1
Registered

FALaholic #: 34296
It looks like the gov is getting more concerned about NK missiles, Drudge article notes increased spending on immediate post launch interception by drones and IR missiles off F-22's, which could be a 1 way trip for the F-22 pilot. Concern is that NK is biding it's time and building multiple missiles so that it could swarm launch and overwhelm any defensive measures.
legolas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 20:26   #755
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
Keeps stirring the pot.
http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/sh...e565d0a1cff75c
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 20:58   #756
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have five stacks with fifteen FAT100's per stack in standard 10 year telecom batteries. The 10 year lifespan is based on worst case circumstances of being installed in outdoor remote terminals places like Nevada wher temps in a sealed box of electronics and batteries with at most a fan that kicks on at 120 inside the terminal but may be pulling 108 ambient air through the cabinet. Same batteries may be installed in Montana or North Dakota where sitting in remote terminal exposed to -60 with 60 mph winds and only heat is what the circuitry makes and batteries as charge and discharge.

FIAMM brand FAT100's. Sell on street at about $400 each so $1,600 per string and $8,000 per rack not counting racks, charge controllers, chargers, inverters, big 24 volt DC capacitors and such make for a big investment. FIAMM batteries only have a three year warranty and like to go into thermal run-away if get hot and don't have the latest charge controllers.

Portalac batteries are much more durable than FIAM and my favorites. Majority of my standard telecom batteries are Portalac's. Picture below are 100 amp/hour and we handle these up to 185 ah/hr which totally suck to move around but normally we install 80 to 130 amp/hour batteries most of the time. I have a few FAT130's but use them for single string applications where need power for a small device that want to run a long time separate from my big stacks. The Portalac's are slightly cheaper than FIAMM, have 10 year warranty and betier unit overall out in the wild.

In addition to the five stacks of FAT100's have three racks of SAFT NiCads. At $7,000 per string and five strings per rack it's not an economical endeavor. Just the earthquake proof racks for battery stacks run $1,500 to $2,500 each. I sell an adjustible race that holds four strings of FAT100's or four strings of 28's wholesale for $795.

https://www.saftbatteries.com/produc...lecom-networks

If I run my HVAC in air conditioner mode and act like on whole house generator my stacks will keep me up for almost 24 hours. Have many systems on separate stacks such as BiPap ASV, ham radio shack, video surveillance systems along with radar and seismic sensors. Television and entertainment system is on a separate stack as well. If we run in conservation mode, only keep HVAC in positive pressure mode and draw minimal power necessary for critical systems, a few lights, etc we can go 72 hours or so before need to start a charge cycle. The little 2,000 watt inverter generators are almost silent and are great keep batteries topped off if run a few hours here and there.

Inverters have about 10% to 25% loss based in design. Use a mix of square wave, modified sine wave and pure sine wave for super critical equipment. Panic room has its own batteries which are separate from whole house battery system along with an Onan propane generator that has exhaust piped outdoors and pulls it's air from outside. All the lights are 12 volt along with television and other stuff from buying R.V./camper equipment from campers involved in wrecks or storm damage. Made it very power efficient.

Every beige box you see at intersection, entrance to a subdivision or industrial park has enough batteries to support their mission for ten hours. Then you have mini huts, maxi huts and CEV's which are basically a shipping container buried underground at critical locations with lots of circuits that might have over 100 batteries. All that's visible is a green box with HVAC unit and seven pin security lock. Pop the hatch and a ladder takes you twelve feet underground to a dry and warm enclosure 99.9999999% of people would never notice. This next picture will dissappear in a few days so don't get a spanking but anyone here bugging out or caught out and needs a place to disappear has some options.

This one is open and has one of my hoists attached for lowering new equipment in and hauling old out. One man can set up by bolt the regtangular upright to each side, slide aluminum I-Beam in tracks, put winch trolley and basket on, load basket on ground, raise load, roll box to hatch, lower load and repeat sending old battreris up each trip. Before I came along they used ropes, each CEV has a rope tied to top of ladder and would have two men pulling on rope or lowering while third held on to battery and kept it from beating ladder and cables to pieces. When discovered I was doing CEV's by myself and hitting two or three a day when a three man crew serviced one they began buying hoists. Now they are my best telecom money is making hoists for three separate companies.

Notice that if closed up it looks like a piece of Power Company underground equipment such as a big yard wart. (Transformer for underground power) If you are able to bypass a steel hatch made to same standards as sides and tops of most gun safes with seven pin high security lock and alarm sensor that must be bypassed would give the wandering person bugging out on foot a great place to hole up if able to locate and get in. Usually located in bunch of shrubbery or other landscaping that conceals location of most.

Maxi Hut, now see at celll towers not microwave. All the microwave have been stripped. At cell towers and major intersections have mini huts and maxi huts that have equipment that supports mission. If grid fails a scavenger could leverage locations near home even if a small one loaded with small 28 amp/hour batteries.

As an FYI, in non SHTF/end of civilized world to open an RT, CEV or Hut is a felony as messing with 911 system and homeland security equipment. People caught stealing from these telephone equipment enclosures almost always serve time in a Federal prison and carry a felony for life which means you don't pass background checks for CWL/CCW's or purchasing firearms. This info would be for leveraging after the world went totally sideways.
Old November 19, 2017, 21:40   #757
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Yep, we're in the run up to shooting stage right now.
Most of us have seen this before.
Chubs is going to die, just a matter of when, and what happens afterwards.
As to when, over the next 12 months is not looking too good for him.
Old November 19, 2017, 23:49   #758
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
This rides with what I'd read elsewhere, in that these rods, in cooling ponds or not, are still deadly for a hell of a lot longer than our youngest members here and their great, great, great grand children.

-snip-

30 or 35 years ago, family and I were in Nuremberg when the plant cooked off in the Ukraine, its still a no go area and will remain such for a very long time.

The afternoon the nuclear sensors went off was a bad day where I worked, in that most all of us, had no idea what they were at first.

-snip-

That day, I learned that this shit can occur at anytime and without any warning, damned near anywhere.

Ugh!

one Ukrainian buddy lived very close, had to leave his home he built, his wife was a nurse caring for exposed brought to hospital, got throat cancer from dust on clothes of exposed victims

March 28, 1979 was Three Mile island, went to work every night on third shift the entire duration and longer, just 6 air miles from TMI to TRW, Turbine Airfoils Division, we shit bricks day & night for a long time

a few months later I found out one of the lab guys during the incident brought his geiger counter to work from when he was a kid, walked into x-ray lab, 4 lead lined walls turned it on & it screamed, did not stop screaming until he got it turned up 6 scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
-snip-

Grew up and still live in tornado area. Seen three live and had two run over my farm removing the barn second time, 70 acres first time. Houses built in low areas and storm shelters in basements. Was raised where parents, grandparents, great grandparents and more had storm shelters with food, water and basic survival supplies as no 911 till college age.

-snip-

tornados are serious shit, really serious up close

Dec. 1, 2006 I had a F1 up close & personal . about 6 feet away .. bounced off the glass french door on the west side of my home, was asshole lucky, no real damage
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:34   #759
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

We have the palo verde ??? plant up by Phx, that thing has a lot of us concerned if we ever loose power for those cooling pumps.
Old Yesterday, 03:06   #760
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Post EMP going to have to fix a lot of stuff and slowly get some transportation up and going. Even if EMP doesn't eat a 1960's F150 or old Dodge Power Wagon how many of those do you see anymore. There are at least 1,000 late model Honda Accords for every old mostly mechanical system vehicle still on the road. Spent this weekend doing a full coolant service on my 1993 Dakota daily driver. Getting long in the tooth, have newer trucks but it's my favorite with best high end stereo and combination of ham radios plus weapons locks. It's size and 44 make it nimble and easy on fuel. Dang if air cleaner, alternator, air conditioning compressor, mounting brackets for them, idler pully plus radiator shroud and fan with clutch do not all have to come out to get to water pump easily.

While had all those pieces off swapped the bypass hose, thermostat, a heater hose and clamps as if any of this go then have to remove most of the front and top of engine to access them. The Dakota was on factory installed water pump, thermostat, hoses, clamp and radiator. My 97 Ram with 360 eats a water pump every two to three years but is easy to replace but bought a spare just to have while at parts store along with all the service materials for both of them. Just did the diesel. After finishing the Dakota which started yesterday and finished after church today plugged the code scanner to OBD port.

When purchased the scanner wanted best I could get under $500 that did engine, transmission, chassis and brake codes. Is CAN, OBD 1 and OBD 2 compatible and had free upgrades through 2017. When finished with it brought it home and put in Faraday box in Faraday cage room. Ordered a new scanner for work that is OBD 1 and 2 compatible plus reads engine, transmission, chassis, brake codes including TPMS systems. Resets electronic parking brake sensors and Steering Angle Sensor. It also a car key programmer, odometer reset and talks to navigation systems along with vehicle Bluetooth systems and all the new modern crap in vehicles.

Quote:
ADVANCED DIAGNOSIS and ANALYSIS: DS808 is the upgraded version of DS708, which performs as powerful as MS906, contains complete capabilities for codes, live data, active test, ECU information, adaptation, matching.POWERFUL FUNCTIONS: DS808 includes the most commonly performed service functions, such as: Oil Reset Service, TPMS Programming Service, EPB Service, DPF Regeneration Service, SAS Calibration Service, ABS/SRS Service etc.SPECIALIZED FUNCTIONS: The Autel DS808 includes the Smart AutoVIN, Cloud-based MaxiFix and Shop Manager functions. These new functions make the Autel DS808 better than the old DS708 model, while selling at an even better price than the older modelBROAD VEHICLE COVEARGE: DS808 covers for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicles from the year 1996 to 2017, which includes the exceptional OE Level system coverage for all electronic systems.AUTOMATIC SOFTWARE UPDATING: The Auto Update allows the tool to automatically update the OS, the MaxiDAS system, and the Vehicle. We provide one year update online, and full guarantee.

*See more product details
This puppy was not cheap and is going in a Faraday box at work just in case have opportunity to mule the big service truck home post SHTF it will be one more tool to have in restoring existing items around the neighborhood from dead to working. Who knows, may find five dead Dodge trucks or eight dead Honda Accords and can rob parts from four or five to get one running but without a real scanner not going to make headway on these modern cars. Besides have friends come by wanting me to scan their vehicles for trouble codes and existing unit has no support for updates past 2017. Got my current update, used past year and now going in emergency Faraday box with ocilliscopes, logging meters and such to help resort as much equipment as possible post big EMP and end of civilized world. Man who can fix stuff will be worth his keep but tools to do the job are as important as the knowledge. Had to use three different obstruction wrenches this weekend.
Old Yesterday, 19:22   #761
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Hey YH, I'll be upwind of you when Palo Verde blows, ...31 years to get the truth
Have a Happy one

https://nypost.com/2017/11/20/scient...obyl-disaster/
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:37   #762
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Harwell View Post
Hey YH, I'll be upwind of you when Palo Verde blows, ...31 years to get the truth
Have a Happy one

https://nypost.com/2017/11/20/scient...obyl-disaster/
All of our secure briefings at that time kept telling us a small nuke had went off, but this is the first time I've heard that out in the public.

Some things, ya just got to run away from, this crap is one of those.