Notices

Old December 18, 2017, 20:14   #151
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Awesome!!!

Side Note: As you continue to get these bada$$ sponsors and you know I love me some SIG SAUER, but please don't get them to sponsor the "Drop 320" Stage!
More like, "Drop $1150" Stage . . .

I'm in the same boat.

Old December 19, 2017, 14:22   #152
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
I am excited to announce Nosler has signed on as a sponsor of the obstacle on Stage 2: Nosler's Over Under.

https://www.nosler.com/

Old December 19, 2017, 14:47   #153
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Quote:
Awesome!!!

Side Note: As you continue to get these bada$$ sponsors and you know I love me some SIG SAUER, but please don't get them to sponsor the "Drop 320" Stage!
It's actually the simulated grenade from.stage 1. Lol.
ElTigre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 16:30   #154
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigre View Post
It's actually the simulated grenade from.stage 1. Lol.
B17 has a couple dummy hand grenades coming to this match if you need them for a stage
Old December 19, 2017, 16:43   #155
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
B17 has a couple dummy hand grenades coming to this match if you need them for a stage
I just had two more dummy grenades show up at work today. Nobody even blinked an eye.
Old December 21, 2017, 14:37   #156
kotengu
Registered

I am thrilled to welcome Vortex Optics to our match as a Stage Sponsor! I"m putting them on Stage 1: Vortex Optics' Grenade!!!

Their optics are supposed to be bombproof - let's see how they do with grenades. :-)

http://www.vortexoptics.com/

Edit: I had some issues with the Vortex logo showing up on some platforms, so made my own pic from last year's match. Pretty sure that says "Strike Eagle" underneath all the mud! Photo credit: Lisa Stennett

Last edited by kotengu; December 21, 2017 at 18:00.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 16:27   #157
kotengu
Registered

Alright - you know all the shooting stages, so let's talk about obstacles. Here's the obstacle for Stage 1: The Samson Manufacturing "Down & Dirty":

Crawl under barbed wire, move through three mud pits, and climb up the inside of a tube with the assistance of a weighted rope. Once at the top, use that rope to pull up the 30lb kettlebell attached to the end of the rope. Shout “FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!” and throw the kettlebell and rope back down the tube for the next guy. If you’re at the bottom of the tube and hear “FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!”, dodging flying kettlebells just because part of this obstacle.

If you ran last March, this is identical to that obstacle with the addition of a rope in BOTH tubes, and weights on the ropes to be sure they go back down for the next guy to climb up - and of course having to haul the weight up and tire out your arms just before shooting. You can thank Bryan Ray for that small piece of evil - as the sponsor's representative he got to help design the obstacle!

Samson is also providing SEVERAL of the steel pistol targets for this match, and are a HUGE supporter of the shooting sports across the board. Be sure to thank them when you place your next order!

http://www.samson-mfg.com/

Last edited by kotengu; December 28, 2017 at 18:11.
Old December 28, 2017, 12:44   #158
kotengu
Registered

Because I'm a giant nerd I love to look at data in different ways, the map below shows all the states that currently have people registered (22 total). The larger the dot, the more people from that state are registered.

If you've been thinking "I'd really like to come, but it's just too far" - there's probably somebody coming further than you! We still have 13 10k slots left. Get in now while you still can!

https://practiscore.com/10k-rockcast...8230;/register

Last edited by kotengu; December 28, 2017 at 18:04.
Old December 29, 2017, 15:23   #159
kotengu
Registered

Someone asked about what kind of ages I've been seeing in the registration so far in another thread, and I thought the answer was cool enough to share with everyone. So, as of today, here's how it shakes out:

5k Average Age 38
5k Max Age 71
5k Min Age 12
5k Median Age 36

10k Average Age 37
10k Max Age 61
10k Min Age 24
10k Median Age 32

I really would have thought the average age would be much lower. And I can't tell you how happy I am to see the extremely wide spread of ages involved. This is so cool!!!

All Ages by kotengu1, on Flickr
Old January 03, 2018, 16:21   #160
kotengu
Registered

The obstacle at Stage two is fairly simple: Nosler's Over/Under. You'll have two obstacles you have to go over that will be set at a convenient nut-busting height, and three obstacles you have to crawl under - alternating to force you down, up, down, up, down. The "under" obstacles will be various types of fencing stretched between posts, as someone pointed out crawling under and/or through fences is a very "real world applicable skill".

Thanks to Nosler for providing $500 in bullets or ammunition to the prize table, and please note that "simple" does NOT always equal "easy"!

https://www.nosler.com/

Old January 09, 2018, 14:42   #161
kotengu
Registered

I am pleased to announce Federal Premium Ammunition has just signed on as an obstacle sponsor and will be providing a great spread of American Eagle 9mm and 40 cal ammo for the prize table!

https://www.federalpremium.com/

Old January 09, 2018, 14:45   #162
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Awesome work on the sponsors

So just to confirm, this match just has two classes, race vs combat - you're not dividing up by caliber/gender/etc also?

Do you have a link to last year's results?
beseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 16:39   #163
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
So just to confirm, this match just has two classes, race vs combat - you're not dividing up by caliber/gender/etc also?
Yes - only two official classes: Race and Combat Class. There will be some special awards for a few other things (based on what I saw in the registrations), but I want to wait until I have the trophies complete before I announce all of those.

Quote:
Do you have a link to last year's results?
https://practiscore.com/results/new/33132
Old January 10, 2018, 16:40   #164
kotengu
Registered

I mentioned this one already with the sponsorship announcement, but just to stick with the pattern:

The obstacle for Stage 3 will be Glock's Slide To The Pit Of Despair: Simply enter the tube at the top of the hill and slide down to just above the cave entrance. Try your best NOT to get beat up by your gear on the way down, TO get out of the tube with all of the gear you went into it with, and to NOT continue tumbling on down the hill when you get out of the tube. Cool points added if you shout "Wheeee!!!!" on the way down!

https://us.glock.com/

Old January 10, 2018, 17:29   #165
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
After encountering the “Rodents Of Unusual Size” last year, well you know!!!
Old January 10, 2018, 17:50   #166
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Hahahaha - I forgot about the skunks! Those things are everywhere out there -
Old January 11, 2018, 18:32   #167
ElTigre
Registered

Quote:
That's stage 4 on my match. 😉
Old January 11, 2018, 20:20   #168
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Skunks don't spray if you kill them with a head shot.

One minute off the time for every head shot kill, but 10 minutes added if you stink up the trail?????
Old January 11, 2018, 21:39   #169
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Skunks don't spray if you kill them with a head shot.

One minute off the time for every head shot kill, but 10 minutes added if you stink up the trail?????
Match DQ for discharging a firearm outside of a shooting area. I'll cut your run time in half if you catch the skunk alive, bring it all the way back to the parking lot, and stash it in Nuttz' truck for him to find later.
Old January 12, 2018, 03:13   #170
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 15:30   #171
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
I'll cut your run time in half if you catch the skunk alive, bring it all the way back to the parking lot, and stash it in Nuttz' truck for him to find later.
I won't tell if you won't!!!

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 16:57   #172
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
I won't tell if you won't!!!

This is hilarious! I'm going to be in big trouble when 20 people bring skunks to the match, put them in Nuttz' truck, and I have to cut run times in half for all of them and screw up all the scores for the whole match.

It'll totally be worth it if somebody gets it on video...

For the record - this offer does NOT apply to Nuttz himself. No self-skunking allowed!!!
Old January 12, 2018, 17:32   #173
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
This is hilarious! I'm going to be in big trouble when 20 people bring skunks to the match, put them in Nuttz' truck, and I have to cut run times in half for all of them and screw up all the scores for the whole match.

It'll totally be worth it if somebody gets it on video...

For the record - this offer does NOT apply to Nuttz himself. No self-skunking allowed!!!
He'll have to find another ride if he decides to "self skunking."

I have a strict "No Skunks Allowed" policy in my vehicles.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 19:11   #174
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is hilarious!
Sometimes I do get lucky and hit one out of the park.

For all of the competitors, good luck on the match and hope to see many of you at Stimpy's match in Georgia.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old January 12, 2018, 20:12   #175
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post
He'll have to find another ride if he decides to "self skunking."

I have a strict "No Skunks Allowed" policy in my vehicles.
Oh crap - I forgot you are giving him a ride this year and he won't even have his truck there! I guess we'll have to postpone the skunking of Nuttz. We don't want any innocent bystanders to get collaterally skunked just for being nice and offering a ride.

Hehehe. "Skunking of Nuttz". This is SO a thing now.
Old January 17, 2018, 16:51   #176
kotengu
Registered

The Stage 4 obstacle is only for 10k people. There will be a 2" wide cargo strap strung tightly between two trees approximately 40' apart and about 4' high. You must cross this strap with all your gear without touching the ground. If you fall or touch the ground in between the trees, you must "dismount" and start completely over until you get it right. Simple, right???

Old January 18, 2018, 08:04   #177
Louis
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 72519

Madness!
Old January 23, 2018, 13:52   #178
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Alright fellas. Pawnee is in the books so let's move on to training for this one. I hit the gym yesterday and back to running today. Re-tailoring the plan a bit.

Matt, do you know how many people are doing both the 5k and the 10k?
Old January 23, 2018, 17:21   #179
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Alright fellas. Pawnee is in the books so let's move on to training for this one. I hit the gym yesterday and back to running today. Re-tailoring the plan a bit.

Matt, do you know how many people are doing both the 5k and the 10k?
Home less than a week and already training for the next race? No wonder you crush souls!

At last count we had around 20 signed up for the unofficial 15k Challenge. I ordered a 15k trophy so I guess it's "official" now...
Old January 24, 2018, 16:46   #180
kotengu
Registered

My favorite part about these matches is the amazing positive vibe that absolutely permeates everyone and everything having anything to do with this match. We have a LOT of new people coming this year, so Run N Gun Veterans PLEASE help me share the culture with all these new people. To start this, I'll repost this message from last year:

For those of you who have trained your whole lives for something like this, this match will be awesome! You will finally have a place you can put all of your skills together in a match that plays to your strengths, and you'll feel like a thoroughbred finally set free to run.

For those of you who have NEVER attempted anything like this, are intimidated by all of the crazy workouts posted here, and are having severe second thoughts lately - it will be even better. Whatever you do, JUST DON'T QUIT. The satisfaction and self-image you will get from just finishing this course will stay with you forever, and is something no one can ever take away from you. Many people have found matches like these to be a turning point in their lives, and in a year or two you may not even recognize the person you have become. Just remember - for every person you see pass you, there is someone behind you wishing they could keep up with you.

And before ANYONE judges anyone else as being "too slow, too fat, or too lazy" - bite your tongue and listen to their story first. Across the country at matches like these we've had people recovering from recent strokes, heart attacks, cancer, pregnancy, amputations, and any other issue you can think of; just because "F#$K CANCER", that's why! Give them an encouraging word when you pass them - it really makes a difference.

Even better - if you pass someone really struggling on the course: finish your race, set down your gear, and run back out to find that person. You can run beside them and offer them all the words of support and encouragement that you can think of - you just can't physically help them in any way. I want nothing more than to see the last straggler trudging their way up the last leg of the course in the waning minutes of daylight, accompanied by forty of their newest friends cheering them on. Help me to make this happen.

Let's do this.
Old January 31, 2018, 18:17   #181
kotengu
Registered

Stage 5 Obstacle (10k Only): Barbed Wire Crawl. I had some complaints last year that "gamers" put a quick and disposable cover over their gear to get through the first barbed wire crawl and we didn't give them a good test of their gear. So this year just before Stage 5 you'll have to crawl again. Because who doesn't like barbed wire and mud???

Sorry 5k guys - you only get ONE barbed wire crawl.

Old February 07, 2018, 21:13   #182
kotengu
Registered

Scoring, Trophies, & Prizes:

Every Run N Gun is a little different and we have several newbies signed up for this one, so I thought a post about scoring, trophies, and prizes was worthwhile.

First, the non-negotiables:
You are free to carry a loaded pistol in your holster throughout the run, but if at any time that loaded pistol hits the ground for any reason, in any place - you forfeit the course and your match is over. Your rifle can ONLY be loaded AFTER the buzzer goes off during a shooting stage. If you are found with a round in your rifle (doesn't matter if it's in the chamber or not - a loaded magazine inserted in your magwell counts) ANYWHERE but while actively shooting a stage, you forfeit the course and your match is over. ROs will be checking for an empty rifle both as soon as you arrive at a stage and just before you leave, but in the end it is the COMPETITOR's responsibility to be sure both of these things happen.

Half of your score will be based on your net overall run time (the time it takes you to complete the course). The other half of your score will be based off the combined shooting score from all of your shooting stages. At each shooting stage you will have no longer than three minutes to complete the course of fire. If you neutralize all the targets before the three minutes is up, your actual shoot time is recorded on your score card. If at the end of three minutes you have any targets not fully neutralized as per the stage description, 10 seconds will be added to your shoot time for each target not neutralized. 20 seconds will be added to your shoot time for each "no shoot" hit (one hit or many - doesn't matter). You must continue shooting until you either neutralize all the targets or you run out of time - you cannot quit early and just "take the penalty".

Because I enjoy things that are useful instead of just pretty - and we're in the heart of bourbon country - the trophies this year will be custom-engraved bourbon glasses (provided by http://www.fireflycustom.com/home). There will be trophies for the following:

5k 1st Place Race Class
5k 2nd Place Race Class
5k 1st Place Combat Class
5k Top Grunt (highest scoring military - active or retired)
5k Amazon (highest scoring female)

10k 1st Place Race Class
10k 2nd Place Race Class
10k 1st Place Combat Class
10k Top Grunt (highest scoring military - active or retired)
10k Amazon (highest scoring female)

15k Trooper (highest combined 5k & 10k score)

We will randomly draw competitors for $7,500 in prizes at the awards ceremony at the end of each night (there will be a separate awards ceremony for the 5k and the 10k). Must be present to win.

Prizes are provided by our generous sponsors: Magpul Industries Corp., Sierra Bullets, Vortex Optics, Samson Manufacturing, Nosler, GLOCK, Federal Premium, ASE Precision, Dillon Precision Products, Inc, and Zero Bullets

Last edited by kotengu; February 08, 2018 at 16:15.
Old February 08, 2018, 14:56   #183
kotengu
Registered

Just a reminder - Cancellation Policy:

Full refunds will be given if you withdraw more than 30 days before the match. Half your fee will be refunded if you withdraw between 14-29 days before the match. NO REFUND will be given if you withdraw less than 14 days before the match.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have one week left to withdraw and get a full refund. After midnight Wednesday night/Thursday morning (2/15) you will only receive half your money back if you withdraw from the 5k. After midnight Thursday night/Friday morning (2/16) you will only receive half your money back if you withdraw from the 10k. If you withdraw from either less than 14 days before the match, you will get NO REFUND.

No exceptions will be made to this policy. We have a ton of people on the waitlist that would love to have your slot if you don't want it. Don't wait until the last minute and/or not show up.
Old February 09, 2018, 13:49   #184
kotengu
Registered

I thought we were done with sponsors, but one more came in yesterday afternoon - I am thrilled to announce TRU-SPEC has just joined on as an obstacle sponsor! They will be providing $500 in certificates for their clothing for the prize table so you can be sure to get a size that fits you.

They have a great product line that I think will do very well at Run N Gun events. Check them out at: https://www.truspec.com/

Old February 09, 2018, 19:57   #185
Bryan 45
Registered

FALaholic #: 17465
I have a couple of tru spec pants. Wearing them is like being sexually harassed by angels. And loving it.
Bryan 45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2018, 17:53   #186
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

That might make it difficult for you to negotiate the barbed wire obstacle if you are wearing them for the event.

Old February 10, 2018, 19:20   #187
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
That might make it difficult for you to negotiate the barbed wire obstacle if you are wearing them for the event.
Old February 10, 2018, 21:15   #188
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 45 View Post
I have a couple of tru spec pants. Wearing them is like being sexually harassed by angels. And loving it.
That’s exactly how I feel about Duluth Trading undies! Wearing both might be more than a guy could handle...

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 17:50   #189
kotengu
Registered

Now that we've learned all about Tuhlmann's underpants...

The obstacle for the 10k Stage 6 (which is the same as the 5k Stage 4) is simple and familiar (if you've run this before): Simply haul both you and all your gear over the top of two consecutive A-frames.

Old February 15, 2018, 13:56   #190
Bryan 45
Registered

FALaholic #: 17465
So I've been thinking about this combat class. Being the consummate gamer, I've considered many options for achieving the fine balance of proper gear and minimal weight to qualify for Combat class.

Quick and dirty math- I weigh 170# almost every day of the week. 25% of body weight is 42.5#. Add anticipated rounds expended, I should be up about 52# leaving the start line. (I crossed the FINISH line with 62# at last September's Legion match- we'll chalk it up to bad math- and that made only 5K real tough.)

Now, it would take a little bit of work a couple weeks ahead of time, but I could cut 10# body weight fairly easy. (Yeah, I have a little to spare.) But, math says it would only save me 2.5# on the required min of gear weight. Skipping a couple weeks of hoppy splendor just isn't worth 2.5#s.

Bryan 45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2018, 17:56   #191
kotengu
Registered

On the other hand, if you carry 42 lbs of beer in your pack it'll slosh and "move with you". And you'll have a trail of other thirsty competitors following you.

Maybe that'll make you run faster?
Old February 15, 2018, 18:34   #192
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Old February 16, 2018, 08:56   #193
kotengu
Registered

I had several competitors upset last year because I only made t-shirts available to the staff - so this year I'm opening t-shirt sales up to the public. The ONLY way to get a t-shirt is to order it through Shredder Industries - they will NOT be available for sale through the match.

Shredder Industries is run by a competitive shooter, and $1 from each shirt sale goes to support Generation III Gun, Inc. (which supports junior shooters in 3-gun). In full disclosure, I get a cut of the profits from the shirt sales as well to help offset my costs.

This is a win-win-win (-win?) situation for everyone involved. Please click the link and order a t-shirt!

https://www.shredderlife.com/shop/ro...l-match-shirt/

Old February 16, 2018, 11:48   #194
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
That's a great solution I may use for future matches, Matt!

It solves the main problem with offering shirts, getting stuck with the leftovers.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018, 15:08   #195
ElTigre
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
That's a great solution I may use for future matches, Matt!

It solves the main problem with offering shirts, getting stuck with the leftovers.
Oh I'm already planning on stealing it.
Old February 19, 2018, 10:27   #196
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

a) Awesome, Matt. That's great to know. Like Bruce said, eliminates you being stuck with a ton of extra shirts.

b) Bryan I was starting to have the same thought. I'm 125. 25% is 31.25lbs which is really not a big stretch from the 25lbs I carried at Tiger's match in Nov. Granted I do have a lighter AR this time around but I can always go back to old faithful. I'd need to do the math on how much I'd need to carry to still end up at 25% (i.e. bc I'm shedding ammo and hate on the course) but it's starting to seem like a viable option from gamer perspective
Old February 19, 2018, 14:07   #197
kotengu
Registered

I built the "over" obstacles for Stage 2 today, and while testing them decided to play with some different camera angles and demonstrate various ways to cross these for anyone who hasn't done them before.

I've been dying for an excuse to try out the A-Team camera angle!!!

Old February 19, 2018, 14:17   #198
ElTigre
Registered

Quote:
a) Awesome, Matt. That's great to know. Like Bruce said, eliminates you being stuck with a ton of extra shirts.

b) Bryan I was starting to have the same thought. I'm 125. 25% is 31.25lbs which is really not a big stretch from the 25lbs I carried at Tiger's match in Nov. Granted I do have a lighter AR this time around but I can always go back to old faithful. I'd need to do the math on how much I'd need to carry to still end up at 25% (i.e. bc I'm shedding ammo and hate on the course) but it's starting to seem like a viable option from gamer perspective
Shedding ammo and hate. That's epic. If you're doing the 10K, figure on 3/4 of a mag per stage. Weigh your mags and carry that much extra weight. Maybe half a mag since you're a better shot than me.
Old February 19, 2018, 18:17   #199
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Matt, that was great, but you missed the method that most will use. Very similar to the last version except as you raise your legs, fall over the bar and land on your back, backside or head. Your choice of point of contact.

Old February 19, 2018, 19:27   #200
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Matt, that was great, but you missed the method that most will use. Very similar to the last version except as you raise your legs, fall over the bar and land on your back, backside or head. Your choice of point of contact.
Show me in a video!