The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2018, 16:49   #1
M@D-M@X
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 71123
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 11
Looking for assistance on a Izzy HB build

Hi everyone.
I just acquired a partial Izzy HB kit for which I'm planning to do my first FAL build with and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I jump on it.

The kit is inconplete and it even contains some parts that do not belong to it..



I have already compiled a list of the parts that I think I need and I have already spotted at least half of them to buy.

Within these parts is the gas piston and spring but I'm having issues trying to find the right one since I've read that the Izzy's HB are longer. Does anybody know the lenght of the Izzy's HB piston rod?

I'm open for suggestions and tips as well...
Thx.

Last edited by M@D-M@X; April 15, 2018 at 21:02.
M@D-M@X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018, 18:47   #2
FUUN063
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 35576
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Converse, Indiana
Posts: 6,515
Well, since you blew up my monitor, I can't help much.....

But, seriously, you need to resize them pics so we can tell what ya got.

The Izzy gas piston is about 1/8" longer than a standard Metric piston. The spring will be the same.

That charging handle assembly you have in the pics is for a standard Metric rifle (no forward assist capability). These HB Izzy's took a beefier forward assist type of charging handle that you push in on the handle and it grabs onto a recess cut into the bolt carrier.

What else?

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018, 18:57   #3
FUUN063
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 35576
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Converse, Indiana
Posts: 6,515
We used to use the free photo hosting site called Photobucket, but they changed and a lot of use the free hosting site called Imgur. Do yourself a favor (and, us) and set up an Imgur account. I use the size they refer to as "Large Thumbnail".

You can search this site under each category by going to the top of any page and use the drop down box under "Search". There are a lot of Izzy info threads.


http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...+piston+length

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...+piston+length

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...+piston+length


Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018, 20:26   #4
M@D-M@X
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 71123
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUUN063 View Post
We used to use the free photo hosting site called Photobucket, but they changed and a lot of use the free hosting site called Imgur. Do yourself a favor (and, us) and set up an Imgur account. I use the size they refer to as "Large Thumbnail".

You can search this site under each category by going to the top of any page and use the drop down box under "Search". There are a lot of Izzy info threads.


http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...+piston+length

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...+piston+length

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...+piston+length


Leland
Thank you for your reply and links...
Sorry about the King Kong sized pics..lol

I use Imgur as well but I can't seem to find the "large thumbnail" option since I'm using my mobile device.

but I did learned this trick which applies to Imgur.

So if you image URL is*https://i.imgur.com/9ZC02Os.jpg, you simply add the letter l to the image name:*https://i.imgur.com/9ZC02Osl.jpg. Now your image is a large thumbnail! (640640 pixels)

Here are all the dimensions and letters to choose from:

s = Small Square (9090)
b = Big Square (160160)
t = Small Thumbnail (160160)
m = Medium Thumbnail (320320)
l = Large Thumbnail (640640)
h = Huge Thumbnail (10241024)

Last edited by M@D-M@X; April 15, 2018 at 21:20. Reason: Adding photo resizing technique
M@D-M@X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018, 12:27   #5
Thomas
Senior Member
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 7451
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 907
hb

What city are you near in FL?
__________________
Who am I to Judge.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018, 16:39   #6
M@D-M@X
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 71123
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
What city are you near in FL?
Miami
M@D-M@X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018, 17:18   #7
M@D-M@X
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 71123
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 11
Since I don't have the proper tools nor experience. I'm planning on buying an upper from DS Arms for this Izzy build, shipping them the barrel assembly, together with the bolt carrier components for them to put it together and head space it properly.
Any thoughts?

Is DS Arms still making good uppers?

Thx...
M@D-M@X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 09:19   #8
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 64403
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,682
if you are going to do it and have a good receiver, the hardest thing is installing the barrel. The two main differences between doing that in a FAL vs and AR are more torque and lining it up.

After that, headspace.

Everything else is putting parts in rifle, which should be after the two items above are taken care of no harder than an AR. And then finish as desired.

gunplumber is a member here and better builder than DSA.
__________________
All I'm really asking for here is a knife that will not jam and a unicorn that doesn't need sharpening. Will_Power
It's been my experience that all you really need to harvest a deer is a car. They come right through the windshield just fine. 357ross
That poop is priceless. MFC
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 20:18   #9
M@D-M@X
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 71123
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
if you are going to do it and have a good receiver, the hardest thing is installing the barrel. The two main differences between doing that in a FAL vs and AR are more torque and lining it up.

After that, headspace.

Everything else is putting parts in rifle, which should be after the two items above are taken care of no harder than an AR. And then finish as desired.

gunplumber is a member here and better builder than DSA.
I kind of understand the building process.
Although the Izzy's are metric, the thread pattern of the barrel and a typical metric receiver are different so the threads need to be re-cut.
I rather just go thru the path of least resistance and have someone with experience doing it so that most likely it ends up done right.

I've read some posts were people were dissapointed at DSA's quality. So I want to know if is is just on their full build products or their services and upper receiver quality.
M@D-M@X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 19:19   #10
hardheaded
Member
Silver Contributor
 
hardheaded's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 27964
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 424
You are a little further along with your build than I am with mine

I am finding the correct Hebrew marked parts when the planets come into alignment now and then

I am going to suggest using Arizona Response for your build as well Mark is on his game

Bide your time and get a Imbel or LMT receiver in our marketplace as a recipient chassis

I have heard enough bad shenanigans about the DSA gorillas and their out of spec cast receivers to know not to use them to clean my prized riFAL , let alone build one

Good luck with your build it's looking good so far

Last edited by hardheaded; April 25, 2018 at 12:26.
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 20:51   #11
M@D-M@X
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 71123
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
You are a little further along with your build than I am with mine

I am finding the correct Hebrew marked parts when the planets come into alignment now and then

I am going to suggest using Arizona Response for your build as well Mark is on his game

Bide your time and get a Imbel or LMT receiver in our marketplace as a recipient chassis

I have heard enough bad shenanigans about the DSA gorillas and their out of spec cast receivers to know not to use them to clean my prized riFAL , let alone build one

Good luck with your build it's looking good so far
Thx. For your reply...
I'm a bit confused.. DSA is advertising their receivers are CNC... but I guess you can CNC cast as well.

I guess I'll start searching for receivers and give A.R. a call for some quotes.
M@D-M@X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files