Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old April 15, 2018, 16:49   #1
M@D-M@X
Registered

FALaholic #: 71123
Looking for assistance on a Izzy HB build

Hi everyone.
I just acquired a partial Izzy HB kit for which I'm planning to do my first FAL build with and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I jump on it.

The kit is inconplete and it even contains some parts that do not belong to it..

I have already compiled a list of the parts that I think I need and I have already spotted at least half of them to buy.

Within these parts is the gas piston and spring but I'm having issues trying to find the right one since I've read that the Izzy's HB are longer. Does anybody know the lenght of the Izzy's HB piston rod?

I'm open for suggestions and tips as well...
Thx.

Last edited by M@D-M@X; April 15, 2018 at 21:02.
M@D-M@X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018, 18:47   #2
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
Well, since you blew up my monitor, I can't help much.....

But, seriously, you need to resize them pics so we can tell what ya got.

The Izzy gas piston is about 1/8" longer than a standard Metric piston. The spring will be the same.

That charging handle assembly you have in the pics is for a standard Metric rifle (no forward assist capability). These HB Izzy's took a beefier forward assist type of charging handle that you push in on the handle and it grabs onto a recess cut into the bolt carrier.

What else?

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018, 18:57   #3
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
We used to use the free photo hosting site called Photobucket, but they changed and a lot of use the free hosting site called Imgur. Do yourself a favor (and, us) and set up an Imgur account. I use the size they refer to as "Large Thumbnail".

You can search this site under each category by going to the top of any page and use the drop down box under "Search". There are a lot of Izzy info threads.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...+piston+length

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018, 20:26   #4
M@D-M@X
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUUN063 View Post
We used to use the free photo hosting site called Photobucket, but they changed and a lot of use the free hosting site called Imgur. Do yourself a favor (and, us) and set up an Imgur account. I use the size they refer to as "Large Thumbnail".

You can search this site under each category by going to the top of any page and use the drop down box under "Search". There are a lot of Izzy info threads.

Leland
Thank you for your reply and links...
Sorry about the King Kong sized pics..lol

I use Imgur as well but I can't seem to find the "large thumbnail" option since I'm using my mobile device.

but I did learned this trick which applies to Imgur.

So if you image URL is*https://i.imgur.com/9ZC02Os.jpg, you simply add the letter l to the image name:*https://i.imgur.com/9ZC02Osl.jpg. Now your image is a large thumbnail! (640640 pixels)

Here are all the dimensions and letters to choose from:

s = Small Square (9090)
b = Big Square (160160)
t = Small Thumbnail (160160)
m = Medium Thumbnail (320320)
l = Large Thumbnail (640640)
h = Huge Thumbnail (10241024)

Last edited by M@D-M@X; April 15, 2018 at 21:20. Reason: Adding photo resizing technique
Old April 16, 2018, 12:27   #5
Thomas
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7451
hb

What city are you near in FL?
Old April 16, 2018, 16:39   #6
M@D-M@X
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
What city are you near in FL?
Miami
Old April 16, 2018, 17:18   #7
M@D-M@X
Registered

Since I don't have the proper tools nor experience. I'm planning on buying an upper from DS Arms for this Izzy build, shipping them the barrel assembly, together with the bolt carrier components for them to put it together and head space it properly.
Any thoughts?

Is DS Arms still making good uppers?

Thx...
Old April 17, 2018, 09:19   #8
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
if you are going to do it and have a good receiver, the hardest thing is installing the barrel. The two main differences between doing that in a FAL vs and AR are more torque and lining it up.

After that, headspace.

Everything else is putting parts in rifle, which should be after the two items above are taken care of no harder than an AR. And then finish as desired.

gunplumber is a member here and better builder than DSA.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 20:18   #9
M@D-M@X
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
if you are going to do it and have a good receiver, the hardest thing is installing the barrel. The two main differences between doing that in a FAL vs and AR are more torque and lining it up.

After that, headspace.

Everything else is putting parts in rifle, which should be after the two items above are taken care of no harder than an AR. And then finish as desired.

gunplumber is a member here and better builder than DSA.
I kind of understand the building process.
Although the Izzy's are metric, the thread pattern of the barrel and a typical metric receiver are different so the threads need to be re-cut.
I rather just go thru the path of least resistance and have someone with experience doing it so that most likely it ends up done right.

I've read some posts were people were dissapointed at DSA's quality. So I want to know if is is just on their full build products or their services and upper receiver quality.
Old April 24, 2018, 19:19   #10
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
You are a little further along with your build than I am with mine

I am finding the correct Hebrew marked parts when the planets come into alignment now and then

I am going to suggest using Arizona Response for your build as well Mark is on his game

Bide your time and get a Imbel or LMT receiver in our marketplace as a recipient chassis

I have heard enough bad shenanigans about the DSA gorillas and their out of spec cast receivers to know not to use them to clean my prized riFAL , let alone build one

Good luck with your build it's looking good so far

Last edited by hardheaded; April 25, 2018 at 12:26.
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 20:51   #11
M@D-M@X
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
You are a little further along with your build than I am with mine

I am finding the correct Hebrew marked parts when the planets come into alignment now and then

I am going to suggest using Arizona Response for your build as well Mark is on his game

Bide your time and get a Imbel or LMT receiver in our marketplace as a recipient chassis

I have heard enough bad shenanigans about the DSA gorillas and their out of spec cast receivers to know not to use them to clean my prized riFAL , let alone build one

Good luck with your build it's looking good so far
Thx. For your reply...
I'm a bit confused.. DSA is advertising their receivers are CNC... but I guess you can CNC cast as well.

I guess I'll start searching for receivers and give A.R. a call for some quotes.