The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old March 21, 2017, 12:21   #1
warmshadow
Registered

FALaholic #: 79133
Selecting competition pistol

Currently I am in the market for a competition pistol.

I have been using my HK VP9 which is a great gun but want to get a pistol dedicated to competition.

I will be shooting local IDPA and 3 gun matches with it. I prefer to keep the caliber 9mm, I am not interested in .40.

After reading through bunches of rule books, it looks like I can use either of the models I am looking at: Glock 34 or an STI DVC Limited.

I realize these are hugely on opposite ends of the price scale. If I go with the G34, I am looking at going with Taran Tactical to get all the modifications up front rather than start with a base and part it together. I could also get a standard 34 and add arts that I would like to change, Glock upgrades with the exception of milling slides and cutting barrels are not out of my realm of ability.

For the STI, I like the idea of getting a gun that I can easily grow into and don't have to go through several guns to get a highly competitive pistol.

Any suggestions for those of you who may have gone down this path already? I appreciate any helpful guidance and input.
warmshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017, 12:30   #2
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
CZ SP 01

$700ish

18+1

CZ quality.

22 conversion available.

There are other "competition" models as well that you may want to look at
fnogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017, 13:21   #3
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
CZ 75

The 75 overtook the G34 several years ago. Not that's it's really any better but you can get in an awful lot of practice with the Kadet upper on the 75 frame.
Getting good at anything is all about practice.

It's what I use for Production Class. It has been difficult to get the Kadet upper the last 8 years. They were somewhat cheap before Obama. I got mine a couple of years before Obama. That's the only time I've ever been ahead of the curve.
Old March 21, 2017, 13:25   #4
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
You may want to look at round count. In IPSC, Production Class limits you to 10 rounds/mag
!0rd Mec-Gar mags are readily available and moderately priced.

If IDPA has such a limit, it will do little good to a have hi-cap
Old March 21, 2017, 14:58   #5
gordonm1
Registered

FALaholic #: 11572
10 rd mags will keep you from overloading high cap mags mistakenly if you have those restrictions. I remember thinking I caught a guy overloading and nobody else noticed and I was burned. I expect you can use high cap for three gun.

My best gun is a 6" STI 2011 in .40 but I have not competed for a few years. I would consider sight radius as very helpful but I think you can get that in the Glock. STI guns suited for Production (10 rd, 9mm) were not around in my area. It was mostly Glock, XD, SW, and SIG.

For Production type shooting I am equipped with SIG .226 and 320 models so I am not shopping for handguns.

I always wanted to try one of the CZ's and never did.

The last time I picked up a full size Glock at a gun store it felt like it was made for me so I wish I had one of those too. Not having done it I'd go Glock between your choices.
gordonm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017, 15:30   #6
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmshadow View Post
Currently I am in the market for a competition pistol.

I have been using my HK VP9 which is a great gun but want to get a pistol dedicated to competition.

I will be shooting local IDPA and 3 gun matches with it. I prefer to keep the caliber 9mm, I am not interested in .40.

After reading through bunches of rule books, it looks like I can use either of the models I am looking at: Glock 34 or an STI DVC Limited.

I realize these are hugely on opposite ends of the price scale. If I go with the G34, I am looking at going with Taran Tactical to get all the modifications up front rather than start with a base and part it together. I could also get a standard 34 and add arts that I would like to change, Glock upgrades with the exception of milling slides and cutting barrels are not out of my realm of ability.

For the STI, I like the idea of getting a gun that I can easily grow into and don't have to go through several guns to get a highly competitive pistol.

Any suggestions for those of you who may have gone down this path already? I appreciate any helpful guidance and input.
IDPA has pretty strict equipment rules, even in ESP. The G34 is good in SSP or ESP, but be careful with additions (weighted base pads, etc.) If you shoot ESP, you can put a ZEV trigger in it (or comparable) and have a better pistol for three gun. I shoot a 34, but most three gunners are shooting some variation of the STI. Of course, I think only one of those is legal in IDPA.

They are quite different pistols. I cut my teeth on Glocks, but the 1911 styling is hard to beat. They are superior in many ways.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote