Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old December 30, 2017, 20:47   #1
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
FEMA Unlikely to Help You, So Now What?

FEMA Unlikely to Help You, So Now What?

In the second half of 2017, hurricane after hurricane battered the United States. Harvey, Irma, and Maria and other storms together inflicted over $200 billion (and counting!) in damage. Puerto Rico remains a wasteland, many with no electricity, shortages of necessary supplies, and a mounting death toll. In southern California, the Thomas Fire has scorched over 273,400 acres, making it the largest wildfire in California history. Close to 5 million Americans have applied for federal disaster aid since September, and FEMA, like Houston, is sinking.

With the destabilizing climate, we can expect more “100-year” floods and “once-in-a-lifetime” storms just as resource depletion, deregulation and an eroding tax base are rendering us far less able to recover afterward. The House of Representatives recently put forth a staggering $81 billion disaster aid package, almost double the $44 billion requested by the Trump administration, and if it’s approved it would mean tens of billions of dollars for FEMA and community programs. Even so, we’re running just to stay in place – or fall behind.

FEMA administrator and Trump appointee, Brock Long, says his organization can’t necessarily be counted upon to help disaster-ravaged Americans. As he explained in a CNN interview this month, FEMA is broke, the disaster relief system is broken, and Americans are going to have to learn to take care of themselves. This fits right in with the apparent Trump agenda to smash the administrative state.

Continued: https://www.legalreader.com/fema-unlikely-help-now/
Old December 30, 2017, 21:05   #2
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Most Americans faced with a $1,500.00 repair for the car can't come up with the cash. Many have maxed out their credit resources as well. So it should not come as surprise to find tens of thousands of homes and businesses in southern Texas and Louisiana that are unable to rehab their homes. Many will end up being abandoned. There are many businesses in Houston helping their own get thru
this and this is certainly not the norm in America. Many seem surprised at the
hundreds of folks who risked their boats and their lives to rescue those stranded
in rising flood waters. Some folks had over 8 feet of water in their houses and businesses. Their are subdivisions that are basically deserted.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 21:23   #3
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Get on your knees and Thank God!

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 19:11   #4
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
My plans assume that me and mine are in it alone for a spell. Most of my neighbors are of the same mindset.

But like they say, all plans fall to shit right after the first punch lands...
Old January 01, 2018, 02:39   #5
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Never thought they would.

I'm on top a Mtn. As a former Flood adjuster.... it's not going to flood.

If something happened to it I served as my own general contractor and got it built (including cistern and solar setup) for just under $50k.
(1k sqft living space, 1k sqft shop space, offgrid, 2 wood stoves)
-it's insured like I had paid for it all to be done.

Forrest fire is my biggest threat.
House is metal, gravel around it, trees cut back.
Fire roads dozed on my land, I'm a member of the Vol Fire Department and have a road cut to the pond for the brush truck.
Forrest guy says nothing more can be done preventative wise.

Got enough (home) canned food for many months, cash on hand and cash in the bank.

I'm not impervious to everything, but it'll take a lot.
Old January 01, 2018, 08:48   #6
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Hmmm,

Sounds like you arent that Nomadic?

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 11:49   #7
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
With the destabilizing climate,
You had me at starving Polar Bears. Or not.

Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 12:03   #8
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
I don't expect any help from the Government, but I don't live in a flood plain or on the coast.

Tornadoes are the biggest threat here, but also lower odds of being run over by one.
Old January 05, 2018, 14:14   #9
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
[SIZE="4"]
With the destabilizing climate,
Destabilizing climate? Tell me when the climate has ever been stable.
Old January 05, 2018, 14:20   #10
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
You had me at starving Polar Bears. Or not.

I'm super super serial!

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 17:50   #11
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
From the article the OP posted.

" Puerto Rico remains a wasteland, many with no electricity, shortages of necessary supplies, and a mounting death toll."

PR was already a wasteland. 50% of the homes will never have power restored as they were illegally built, many on Govt land. They are squatters.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 07:52   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Puerto Rican's want big ship loads of Federal cash, free medical care, free housing, all the entitlements Democrats promise U.S. citizens but none of the responsibities like Statehood and paying their state, property municipal or Federal taxes. They like to sleep late, quit early and take a long lunch. I know them fairly well, first wife was 1/2 Puerto Rican and her extended family on fathers side was pretty much a bunch of lazy drunks. I started a business for her because cold not hold any job except bartending. Set her up in retail space with full inventory, business model where didn't open till 11:00 am, I came in at 1:00 so she could go to lunch then back at 5:30 pm and ran the place till closing at 7:00 pm and we alternated Saturday's.

Half way into second year could not understand why inventory was turning over but every month had to put enough money in to cover all the monthly expenses. I know most businesses are not profitable for first two years but with us doing most of the staffing and pulling no salaries (had wife on generous allowance for household and personal expenses) had my CPA do a full audit. Ex was skimming and she got wind of audit, before I got results came home one Friday evening to find all furniture gone from house, all her cloths and not even a bowl with spoon to eat a bowl of ceral. She wiped it to the walls to last chair except stools at reloading benches. She didn't touch guns (never gave her safe combos), reloading, climbing, backpacking, skiing, bicycling or any of my outdoor sports equipment as required breaking a sweat to use and likely would have gone on killing spree if taken. Otherwise my art collection was only thing left as she was more of a poster in cheap frame or velvet painting type person and knew I would flip if my limited edition signed print with a few of the artists original charcoal and pencil studies had disappeared.

Monday morning phones started ringing off hook. Banker said her bank accounts (didn't know she had opened separate accounts) our household account, personal "play money" account I maintained for her, joint savings and account for business opened for her to have a "job" where couldn't whine about coworkers and boss were all empty and checks hitting the system every few minutes. Had him add overdraft on all till saw how bad damage would be (figure out in court if too bad but small town businesses can't suffer hit to reputation of not paying their bills) and opened new personal account plus new account for "our" business. CPA's said it appeared she was skimming from month one, also bank records showed "transfers" from other accounts she had access to from into hers which she wiped the Friday she had movers clear the house claiming community property.

Ended up easiest to cover all the checks, write off the furniture, give her the car she drove in exchange for immunity from prosecution for embezzlement (darn CPA saved my @$$ again) and an uncontested divorce where she kept what was already taken but had no claims on house, primary business or other property. In the end her greed screwed her because if a good divorce lawyer plus judge had gotten idea the value of gun collection, other two business and farm she could have hurt me way deeper than value of a household of furniture and few small bank accounts plus maybe $10k in skimmed cash plus bounced checks. Overall a darn cheap lesson in fiscal survival from a bitter wife/ex wife and fine lesson on Latin women.

What's really crazy is manager of my largest supplier is ex/ex B.I.L. married to her sister. Her sister did him same way but lost his HVAC business in a really nasty divorce based on lessons learned from my wife not getting through my laundry list of assets because had her for embezzlement and check fraud. Her sister cleaned up her trail of skimming, filed for divorce, used kids as excuse to take half of all assets plus child support and alimony which she still collects as living with her new ol man, won't marry him and lose her check plus claim on his Social Security when dies of stress. Learned a woman can claim Social Security on a man even if he remarries if she doesn't. Government pays benefits to both women.

Every single one of her female relatives out to second cousins and aunts married a Caucasian business owner and did same thing. We have a club that meets on occasion to discuss old times of all being ex in-laws of the biggest group of scammers on the planet. There are some fiscal survival lessons to be learned, watch any group of females looking to marry their way into a better financial situation. If your potential Mother in Law or Father in Law married a Gringo to get citizenship then divorced them, cleaned their clock and then repeated till finally married up through three or four husbands to standard of living comfortable with their offspring will do the same.

Don't let your kids or grandkids get conned. If have to kidnap them and send to Australia for a few years till find some Aussie chick as seem a lot less greedy you will be doing them a favor. Look at their future in-laws and their background. If their mothers have a history of marrying and divorcing their way up the social ladder sit them down and if have to chemically neuter or kidnap them to calm their hormones then by all means do what is necessary. Especially if their potential mate is Puerto Rican, look at their parental history very closely as the apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree.

My church has a big campus and mission in Haiti. Keep telling pastor, staff, elders and other members we are being conned. They act all Holier than the Pope when we are in country but my guess is minute we leave they go back to witchcraft and cutting the heads off of chickens during a full moon. They just like our money, the $100,000 hole we punched in the ground for them to have clean water, the medical clinic we supply and staff, the school we built and support, food we send and clothing along with electrical grid we set up but do not believe they really want anything more than the free ride we give them by rebuilding their little town after every earthquake and hurricane. We rebuild a major piece of infrastructure every year. Send the supplies and volunteers to do it but they are too busy tending their fields, herding goats or taking a Siesta to help. I don't trust a single one of them. Con the Gringo... It's the Latin way. I say let them fix their own mess, more aid we give lazier they get.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 02:22   #13
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Hmmm,

Sounds like you arent that Nomadic?

Thorack
Usedtawas.

Spent 8 years living out a seabag, few more out a car/truck or motorcycle. Then 3 years full timing in my Airstream.

Still have the Airstream, takes ~20 min to hook up.
Old January 13, 2018, 14:13   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Wife and I sold our camper due to age recently. Planning to buy new (more likely lightly used, always find people who bought one too small for family or too big for truck and used a few times then traded in) one this year that is more user friendly for wife. Want two entrances, autoleveling Jacks and at least one slide out. Bought a ham radio today that wit intent to put in whatever camper we buy. Found one company that makes NIJ Level 3a bullet resistant campers but they are expensive. Are designed as bug out shelter can hide in any patch of woods. Easy enough to add some armor to a standard camper if nothing but one safe area.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 13, 2018, 14:17   #15
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Yeah,I see now Puerto Rico is petitioning for statehood. Nice,seeing how they were hilariously upside-down in their debts,and only incurring more by the day since the hurricane. I say we cut them loose as their own country. Let them print their own currency.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 18:07   #16
Story
Registered

What should you do in case of nuclear attack? ‘Don’t run. Get inside’
by James Rainey

Quote:
The threats seem to come almost daily now out of North Korea — ballistic missile firings, preparations to test a nuclear bomb and routine bravado. In April, state-owned media in the rogue nation vowed a “super mighty preemptive strike,” one that will reduce the U.S. to “ashes.”
On Saturday, residents in Hawaii were sent into a panic when they received alerts on their mobile phones and televisions warning that a ballistic missile was on its way. The warning, which claimed "this is not a drill," quickly prompted officials to say minutes later that it was sent in error.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...espond-n750466
Old January 13, 2018, 19:36   #17
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
by James Rainey

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...espond-n750466
Saw photos of people dropping children into storm drains/sewers down through man hole covers today in Hawaii.

Didn't they know they'd need to stay down there for a month or so, if they even survived the initial blast????

All those old fashioned CD shelters stocked with some food and water seem like a pretty good idea today.

12x12 room, three foot of packed gravel on top of a 12 inch concrete slab, with another foot of packed earth on top with steel door, food and water should be better than a sewer.
Old January 13, 2018, 21:49   #18
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
It would be a great day to be an underwear salesman in Hawaii today....

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 22:06   #19
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

The pucker factor for welcome to reality went up 10 fold.
Old January 13, 2018, 22:07   #20
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Wife and I sold our camper due to age recently. Planning to buy new (more likely lightly used, always find people who bought one too small for family or too big for truck and used a few times then traded in) one this year that is more user friendly for wife. Want two entrances, autoleveling Jacks and at least one slide out. Bought a ham radio today that wit intent to put in whatever camper we buy. Found one company that makes NIJ Level 3a bullet resistant campers but they are expensive. Are designed as bug out shelter can hide in any patch of woods. Easy enough to add some armor to a standard camper if nothing but one safe area.
I would rather just get a 4x4 Quigley or Sportsmobile van for bugging out and camping, etc. But the wife won't budge unless we stay at a 5-star hotel. That's okay, I could use the extra room in the van. LOL

Old January 17, 2018, 08:07   #21
Story
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

The pucker factor for welcome to reality went up 10 fold.
I've seen this movie before, turns out it was just a drill.

PS;

Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence...
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...issile-warning
Old January 17, 2018, 10:21   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
by James Rainey
This is best advice possible if not near ground zero. Why we live where we do and house set up as is. Not close enough to any major miltary infrastructure or primary city except maybe Atlanta but terrain and prevailing winds are in our favor if Atlanta gets popped. Savanah, Charleston or other port cities are more likely targets. Would not want to live near D.C., NYC, South Cali, Silicon Valley, Seattle, major AFB, NORAD, etc.

Get in your home, especially if have basement, seal all doors and windows with plastic and duct tape and figure a way to keep positive pressure long as possible. I did a post on how to do a simple DIY activated carbon filter system to keep home positive pressure for a few hundred bucks. Key is keeping structure pushing clean air out and not sucking contaminated air in. We have whole house positive pressure system with battery/generator backup plus panic room with generator/battery/manual pump NBC filtration.

If able to stay inside two months and then only go out when have to using Tyvek suits and gas mask when outside. Improvised air lock built from plastic and tape to reduce brining contaminants inside when go out you will have huge advantage to living through fallout phase of a nuclear event. Have worked the blast maps and charts dozens of different ways. Unless the fat bast@rd happens to point one right at my house should survive most models. Then it's the following zombie apocalypse to contend with which I consider mm ost dangerous aspect. For those bugging out, your going to be tripping over millions of others with same idea, don't see it as a good long term solution unless live too close to ground zero.