The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old January 06, 2018, 16:55   #51
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
So many people have fallen sick with influenza in California that pharmacies have run out of flu medicines, emergency rooms are packed, and the death toll is rising higher than in previous years.
Health officials said Friday that 27 people younger than 65 have died of the flu in California since October, compared with three at the same time last year. Nationwide and in California, flu activity spiked sharply in late December and continues to grow.
The emergency room at UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica typically treats about 140 patients a day, but at least one day this week had more than 200 patients — mostly because of the flu, said the ER’s medical director, Dr. Wally Ghurabi.
http://beta.latimes.com/local/califo...htmlstory.html
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 18:27   #52
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Its getting ugly, got up this morning with a head ache and slight cough, feeling a little run down, oh well, will see what develops.
Old January 09, 2018, 07:56   #53
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Its getting ugly, got up this morning with a head ache and slight cough, feeling a little run down, oh well, will see what develops.
Hope you have some Tamiflu in house. Had to take a round right after Thanksgiving due to exposure to so many folks. CDC says flu season is peaking late this year and February will be worst month. We are down to four boxes of Tamiflu but wife and I both have doctors appointments for annual physical and will leave with scripts for Tamiflu.

Wife started a round just after Christmas so we will show him our empty box, date taken and symptoms. By jumping on it first hours of symptoms we felt kind of weak a day or two but between flu shots and Tamiflu round neither got sick and I am highly prone to catching flu. Everyone should have at least two or three total flu treatment scripts put back so if the Tamiflu doesn't stop it have what you need to fight it or might find pharmacies out of flu meds during local or regional outbreak.

Edit:
Wonder if there is any correlation between California's "santuary state" status, thus increased illegal immigrant population has anything to do with their increased flu death numbers to date? If they have a normal body count in Jan/Feb from flu then it's going to be bad. Their hope it's just an early peak may just hoping, time will tell.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat

Last edited by hueyville; January 09, 2018 at 08:33.
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 15:01   #54
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Hope you have some Tamiflu in house. Had to take a round right after Thanksgiving due to exposure to so many folks. CDC says flu season is peaking late this year and February will be worst month. We are down to four boxes of Tamiflu but wife and I both have doctors appointments for annual physical and will leave with scripts for Tamiflu.

Wife started a round just after Christmas so we will show him our empty box, date taken and symptoms. By jumping on it first hours of symptoms we felt kind of weak a day or two but between flu shots and Tamiflu round neither got sick and I am highly prone to catching flu. Everyone should have at least two or three total flu treatment scripts put back so if the Tamiflu doesn't stop it have what you need to fight it or might find pharmacies out of flu meds during local or regional outbreak.

Edit:
Wonder if there is any correlation between California's "santuary state" status, thus increased illegal immigrant population has anything to do with their increased flu death numbers to date? If they have a normal body count in Jan/Feb from flu then it's going to be bad. Their hope it's just an early peak may just hoping, time will tell.
So far so good, had another problem, a little bug in my gut, antibiotics have it under control.
Got a dozen boxes of Tamiflu here just in case, some of it old, but about half current.
Any time I go to doc for anything, always ask for something, this or antibiotics, lidocaine, etc.
Old January 10, 2018, 09:54   #55
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

My primary care retired and new guy was tight on scripts. Says doesn't write till somebody is sick, doesn't care that was an EMP and Wilderness First Responder. Going to visit another G.P. next month and see if easier to get along with. I won't do business with a doctor that won't trust me with flu medicine as often as I get the bug.

Gave him my list of regular meds plus list of items running low on for medical kit like Dexamethasone and Lidocaine without epi and said does not give injectibles to patients. Told him if two days walk from medical care or first responder at vehicle wreck need my kit stocked for situation. Had letter from former doc explaining kept my kit stocked for 30 years and said he didn't care about how last doctor handed out meds, he only prescribes as needed in clinic. Said thanks, but not to worry about scheduling a follow up.

Nobama forced five of my good docs into early retirement. Finding replacements sucks. The oncologist tried Jan of 2017 put me through five unnecessary surgical biopsies. Now new primary recommended would not write Tammiflu. Have a script at another doctors office to pick up today for three fills.

As to dates on Tamiflu I would not worry if it was over a decade old. I always use oldest date and it seems to work fine if jump on early enough. It's when assume it's an environmental symptom like day in respirator spraying paint or day in cold wind working as reason for sore throat and tired feeling and wait a day before start a round then it doesn't work as well, if at all.

Asked doc if first sign of symptom was Friday night of a three day holiday weekend how do I get on an antiviral fast enough if not in kit? He said go to emergency room. I doubt after four hour wait they are going to give me an antiviral because feel flu bug coming on. Will tell me to follow up with primary beginning of week. I know my body and symptoms better than a doctor have never seen before.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 10, 2018, 10:00   #56
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Flu is hitting Oregon hard, Tamiflu stocks are depleted, wife says they had to sit on a bunch of patients in the ER yesterday because there were no hospital beds to admit them to anywhere in the western part of the state.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 13:05   #57
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post
Flu is hitting Oregon hard, Tamiflu stocks are depleted, wife says they had to sit on a bunch of patients in the ER yesterday because there were no hospital beds to admit them to anywhere in the western part of the state.
I hope Tamiflu is like regular antibiotics/medications, in that they don't really go bad, just loose potency over time slowly.
Never heard or read one way or the other, but going to keep the older stuff I have for a long time more.

Been with my doc for well over 30 years, and even before when we both were in the military, so he will write for about anything I ask for.

There really is no reason not to be stocked up on medications any more.
https://www.campingsurvival.com/fish...otics.html?p=2

Read this morning, that normal saline bags which are used for about everything, with flu high on list, were all being produced in PR and hospitals are running out, since PR got hit with the storm.

Simple fluid replacement, which is life saving, is not that simple without IV fluids being available.

This should give everyone a heads up, much of this life saving simple stuff, is made in one area, by one company.

Just in time deliveries, only work, when everything is perfect.
Old January 10, 2018, 21:29   #58
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
I seem to remember my dad saying they used coconut water for iv's in emergencies during WWII in the Pacific. I really wish I would have talked to him more while he was still around.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 21:55   #59
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badzero View Post
I seem to remember my dad saying they used coconut water for iv's in emergencies during WWII in the Pacific. I really wish I would have talked to him more while he was still around.
You can do it, make IV solutions, ya just got to know what you're doing and be really desperate.

Kinda like, if anyone had to rely on me to take out their hot or ruptured appendix.

Been a long, long, long, time since I pulled that crap off and desperation was off the charts even then.

Desperation is the mother of all invention and creative thinking.
Old January 10, 2018, 23:25   #60
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor

Quote:
You can do it, make IV solutions, ya just got to know what you're doing and be really desperate.

Kinda like, if anyone had to rely on me to take out their hot or ruptured appendix.

Been a long, long, long, time since I pulled that crap off and desperation was off the charts even then.

Fortunately we have a big Rubbermaid tote full of liter bags of saline so should be gtg for a while

Old January 11, 2018, 00:38   #61
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Fortunately we have a big Rubbermaid tote full of liter bags of saline so should be gtg for a while
Got some stashed away, dozen of so of cutter sets, but not a tote full!

Still hard to believe, that most of this stuff is made on an island.
Not real smart.
Old January 11, 2018, 00:51   #62
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor

Quote:
Still hard to believe, that most of this stuff is made on an island.
Not real smart.
Nothing like putting all your eggs in one fragile basket!

Old January 11, 2018, 11:06   #63
MordeanGrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 457
Quote:

Someone here on the files once said, "Lack of funds is the father!"
MordeanGrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018, 11:25   #64
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Normal day most hospitals have about 80% to 85% patient load. That means if pandemic or major natural accident then if not first wave in door your stuck in a hall or turned away. Our hospital system is not at all prepared for a major regional pamdemic, period. Big issue and rims will all be gone in hours.

Making I.V. solutions are not difficult. I have about two dozen liter bags of just saline, dozen liter bags of I.V. saline with ringers, dozen with dextrose. Had a private surgical center use a lot mention they had a bunch of small 250 ml bags they use for outpatient procedures mainly to keep catheder flushed from clotting in some patients plus a few fluids since ask you to not drink fluids for 12 to 16 hours previous from dehydration if get bcaked up in preop. They gave me about 50 of the small bags. You can buy I.V. bags all over the place. Went to one of my normal vendors and a couple others to see this or similar on order page.

Quote:
Due to manufacturing interruptions and increased demand, this item is on allocation based on prior IV and Irrigation Solutions purchases.
Quote:
Sodium Chloride Injections, 0.45%, 500mL, EXCEL® Container (Rx)This item is currently on Backorder
Went in a search and finding out of stock on all types and sizes of I.V.'s everywhere. Semt a text to doctor friend who said this is the result of Nobamacare cascading across the entire medical market. Making or refilling a bag is simple. Just Google it and will find lots of websites and Utube videos on the subject. Remember you need to have catheders, drip kits and other accessories on hand.
Old January 11, 2018, 16:13   #65
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Nothing like putting all your eggs in one fragile basket!
That just in time restocking stuff again, stop production for even a few days and whatever they were making simply goes away from people that need or want the items.

Vaccines and antibiotics are in the exact same boat, and its leaky as hell, as in, very few places make this stuff, hospitals only have on hand what they expect to need for the day or a few days, and anything that stops the trucks from deliveries, stops all dispensing.

And some people wonder why my number two thing for supplies on hand are medical stuff.

If Arizona has 100 ventilators and enough Cipro to treat 1/1000th of the population following an anthrax attack or natural outbreak, I'd be shocked.
Ya got 24 or less hours to get on Cipro if exposed, and many people require ventilators to survive once exposed.

This country can't treat a normal flu outbreak, keep meds on hand, if or when we get hit hard with anything deadly, the whole system will simply fall apart overnight.

And yet, people walk around like all is well, safe in the thought, that government will and can keep them all safe and sound.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:37   #66
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor

When the Ebola scare hit, the hospital the wife worked for had almost no real isolation supplies on hand, just some gowns and masks....they had a heck of a time getting what they needed. I had a half-dozen or so Tyvek suits on hand, the hospital had none. The wife carried a couple of them in her car "just in case". This sort of thing is pretty typical in the industry.

The ambulance company I worked for is a bit better, they try to be stocked for most things and have a couple response trailers pre outfitted for various problems. They also try to keep a 60 day buffer on all supplies. My kid works there now and is the supply manager so I get to stay in the loop about such things.

Old January 12, 2018, 11:59   #67
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Many hospitals get their blood supplis delivered on a hourly basis. When a striking A,T&T worker cut two fiber bundles in South California a few years ago internet, cell phones and landlines went down for almost 48 hours. Even the local 911 fire and law enforcement digital trunks went down. Local hospitals were unable to get supply orders for even food through. Had it not been for ham radio operators and digital emcomm used to route orders around phone system from hospitals they would have run out of lots of stuff.

Luckily our local hospital is a Regional Coordinating Hospital (RCH) and much higher up the food chain. We basically oversee a dozen other hospitals in our region. We have a good system that includes an amateur radio D-Star VHF and UHF repeater on roof along with analog VHF and UHF repeaters that can be reprogrammed to ambulance or fire frequencies to back up those systems and instead of waiting for Motorola to dispatch people like me are less than ten minutes away from front door and 20 minutes from roof to repair and reprogram out systems. My batteries back up our amateur repeaters and station.

Being "in the loop" pushes me and my immediate family to top of list for inoculations and medicines. Have to keep the workers healthy that keep the systems working. Luckily their is a new bone medicine out for my wife's disease and they are being very liberal with recent FDA approval with patient samples. Am picking up 18 months of the new medicine for her today.

If anyone has family member with highly advanced (as in breaks bones in feet walking or wrist opening a jar) form of osteoporosis this new medicine is Tymlos. For moment they have priced it at just below Forteo to try and hook new patients. It's average cost is $1,950 per year vs $2,400 per year out of pocket for Forteo. Have over two years Forteo and the 18 months of Tymlos will help us greatly.

Prescribing instructions are no more than two years time taking either due to possible bone cancer but all consulting doctors from Paris, Geneva, Atlanta, Texas and California have told wife she has to take rest of her life. Benefits outweigh possibility of bone cancer. Without one of these she is just months away from a spine fracture that paralyzes and puts her in bed at assisted living facility for life. She has been on the two year only medicine since before FDA approval and we went to France and Switzerland for treatment and anot her medication that's even better but not FDA approved yet. We had to drop back to Forteo when customs began seizing the good sauce from Europe and flying across the pond is too risky for her now.

What sucks is FDA approval was applied for before Nobamacare but feds keep squashing the magic bone meds approval due to $5,000 per month cost. Medicare nor private insurance want to pay their portion of it as can be prescribed for stuff as simple as broken leg or rotator cuff surgery recovery. I took it and was rock climbing a month after rotator cuff repair, buresectomy and two bone spur trims. Took it when turned leg into toothpicks when deer ran in front of motorcycle. Attending and on call ortho said amputate at knee then be walking on prosthetic in six months. My buddy rolled in, called ortho out of Miami to fly in for the surgery. 14.5 hours on table then the magic sauce and was climbing ladders and cell towers in four months.

U.S. has enough flu medicine, tuberculosis meds, or whatever might go pandemic for 30% of population on hand at any time including all of our strategic reserve. Means only government officials, military and emergency responders plus their families get any meds during pandemic. Anyone without an official affiliation or know someone that can break the rules will not see any meds or treatment during a real pandemic. Either have meds on hand or do without. Script I picked up for Tamiflu has three refills. Tag them once a month then get script for wife. Not comfortable with just a dozen doses in house anymore. Add in Cipro and wide assortment of antiviral and antibacterials plus huge med kit or your screwed when need meds same time all others do.

Told doc how many I.V. bags had in house and now 1/2 are in his trunk. Said rather risk pulling out of date I.V. from his car than have patient die because practice is out of I.V. fluids. First time I have loaned medical supplies to a practice. He says it's getting better and supposed to have some next week in his building. All drugs we depend on should be made in lower 48 and away from coast line, fault line or volcano. We should let geologists determine best place to build medical supply plants. Sure it was some "deal" cut by lobbiests that had so much of our necessary medical supply chain manufactured in Puerto Rico. Someone got paid under the table for that idea.
Old January 12, 2018, 14:30   #68
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
When the Ebola scare hit, the hospital the wife worked for had almost no real isolation supplies on hand, just some gowns and masks....they had a heck of a time getting what they needed. I had a half-dozen or so Tyvek suits on hand, the hospital had none. The wife carried a couple of them in her car "just in case". This sort of thing is pretty typical in the industry.

The ambulance company I worked for is a bit better, they try to be stocked for most things and have a couple response trailers pre outfitted for various problems. They also try to keep a 60 day buffer on all supplies. My kid works there now and is the supply manager so I get to stay in the loop about such things.
A youngster I've known since he was four, now a real life doctor brought me a care package last week when he visited his mother who lives down the way.

All that work I did with him about being prepared seems to have struck home.

We talked about all the stuff I needed/wanted but was hard to get, just a general conversation over coffee and damn if he did not fill the whole list.

I saw what it looks like for people without medical care, and that has stuck with me all these decades later.

In the end, we're all responsible for our own selves and our own people.

What concerns me the most, is just how few people actually have any medical knowledge in this country.
Old January 12, 2018, 15:45   #69
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor

Another thing to think about....some meds are extremely expensive and not stocked by the local hospital. When we were living on the south Oregon coast I happened to be at a customer site a couple hours away. Wife was manager in the little ER there at the time and she called to have me pick up vials of an antitoxin (I don't recall exactly what it was) that was extremely expensive and the dose for a single patient was shared by hospitals in several counties. I happened to be driving by 2 of them on the way home so I got volunteered to transport those and save them a bit of time. I know there are at least several meds stocked this was, should you be in need if the phones/transportation go down for whatever reason you are going to be screwed.....and not in a good way.

Old January 12, 2018, 17:10   #70
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

The computer, electrical, phones go dead, nothing is going to be happening in hospitals that's for damn sure.

You're right, the amount of borrowing between hospitals is something most folks have zero clue about.

And that all takes just in time instant communications.