Ruger precision 22lr

Looks ugly, wonder how it shoots.

https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html
Old January 10, 2018, 07:58   #2
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
I'll wait for the tikka t1x. About the same price, and my tikkas have always outshot my rugers.
Old January 12, 2018, 06:52   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
"18" hammer forged barrel", sounds like same barrel on 10/22T which on early models was good, later seem to be about Green Mountain $99 to $129 quality. They have come up with a mounting system that uses a barrel nut similar to AR's and free float the barrel. My guess is this is another Ruger offering that once the aftermarket gets parts out will be a shooter but again barrel swaps and trigger work will be required along with other issues to wring it's true potential out. Is the pistol grip going to be an issue in ban states and California on a bolt action rimfire? It does accept high capacity mags.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018, 07:51   #4
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Looks ugly,
Yep. I love my Rugers, but they can build some awfully ugly firearms. Thinking LCR here, damn that thing is homely.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018, 16:03   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Want to see ugly? Check out this pink stock I found on clearance. Nicely made thumbhole laminated stock but way pink. Guess that was why so cheap. Fits me nicely and the front is wide enough to sit on a rest well from the bench but narrow enough fits in hand when killing vermin.

After knocking down the shine on finish with Scotchbrite pad just to break the top coat enough to take a homebrew stain and first coat, my process uses a lot of coats and can hit with a Scotchbrite pad to kill any gloss.

Slowly sneaking up and second coat done and dry waiting for third.

Right after applying fourth coat, based on how much it soaks in may hit with a pad, shoot with some satin clear or change tint of stain a bit and try something a bit different.

I believe when this finishes soaking in and dries should be real close to color I want that still shows laminations. Will play with till happy then put a satin clear that protects it but doesn't shine with a high gloss finish. Have a stainless action and Kidd 16.5" fluted stainless barrel. It will be built as a dedicated and tuned to shoot target grade subsonic 40 grain bullets. Have a mix of springs to ensure reliable extraction, ejection and feeding with subs and suppressor. Have a suppressor that will be just slightly larger diameter than the Kidd barrel and should balance well on the 16.5" barrel.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 17, 2018, 15:45   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

In pursuit of building my own Ruger precision rifle believe except for possible slight color modification to darken a shade, stock just needs a satin or flat clear coat and will be ready to build. Bedded an amuminum block in before did the finish work so will not look cobbled up when taken apart.

Barrel going to use on this build is a Kidd 16.5" 0.920" straight profile fluted aluminum with match grade and match chambered stainless steel liner. It's threaded for a can and super light. Entire point of this build is a fast moving off-hand squirrel and chipmunk rifle built around 40 grain subsonic match ammunition. The suppressor going on it is just shy of 4.15" so even with the can threaded on will be right at 20" OAL barrel length and quiet as a mouse.

Already finished the trigger using a stock Ruger aluminum trigger housing with mostly Power Custom parts and Wolff springs. Trigger breaks clean bouncing from 1.9/2.0 pounds on my gauge every other try in test stock which is perfect. Love a two pound trigger in a 10/22. Have the bolt in my lathe and been lightening it for quicker cycling with subs and low power recoil spring. Add a fair number of titanium parts and rifle should weigh next to nothing and fling subs reliably. So far no plastic Star Wars accessories buts not going be a traditional look either.

Since action and barrel is all stainless/matte silver/bare aluminum need a matte silver/stainless scope for it. All I own are a 36x target scope and a $44 Simmons 4x. All the silver scopes have found thus far are either way too cheap or way too expensive. Midway, Brownell's and other usual suspects are all low on silver finish scope inventory. Looking for something in the 4-16x range and $300 to $400 price point with adjustible objective or side focus. Easy to find under $200 silver scopes and a few over $500 options but no lower/mid grade silver/stainless glass. May have to Cerakote or wrap a black scope.