The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old September 19, 2017, 10:33   #1
Nathaniel01
Registered

FALaholic #: 72681
Good laser rangefinder ideas?

Is there a good rangefinder in the $400 range? Everytime I get serious about buying, I come to the conclusion that I really need to spend $1000 or more and end up putting it off. Right now, long range (past 500m) is not really an issue.
Nathaniel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017, 13:46   #2
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
start reading here then look for more, all depends on your wallet

https://bestrangefinder.reviews
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017, 14:45   #3
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
I'd check with your local golfers
Old September 19, 2017, 15:12   #4
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
I own a Leica 1600 that I like very much. Its a bit higher than your desired outlay, but I'll be the first to say it....Save your money and buy once.

Otherwise, I've heard good things about the new Sig line of Rangefinders.
Old September 19, 2017, 21:45   #5
Elkaholic
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34966
SIG Kilo 2000. After trying a buddy's out, I ordered one when i got home
Elkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 09:35   #6
aquaman
Registered

FALaholic #: 20926
I bought the Busnell Elite 1 mile arc for $430 in July 2015.

I've used it a bunch since then and have been extremely satisfied. The optics are very good, I often leave my binoculars at home. The drop/holdover calculations are awesome.

It easily ranges to 1000 yards in most any condition. Highly reflective objects to 1500 yards and beyond. It out performs my brother's Leica and has equal or better optics.

I consider it a great value, it goes with me every time I'm hunting, scouting, hiking, or just watching the sun set. I've greatly improved my subjective range estimates by using it frequently.

That said, I've heard good things about the Sig Kilo 2000. I have no experience with that unit however.
aquaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017, 10:59   #7
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
I like my Vortex Optics Ranger 1000. I think you can get them for $300 or better at various places online.
Old September 21, 2017, 18:32   #8
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
SIG Kilo 1250 at $250 is one of the best budget rangefinders have ever used and one yard accurate to 600 yards. The Kilo 2200 at $499 is spot on out past a kilometer. The 1250 is still darn close at a kilometer and the 2200 at two kilometers. Have both and my Leupold and Vortex range finders are now in range kits or vaults. The SIG Kilo 1250 leaves the house with me everyday and have more 250 to 450 yard first shot kills on varmints with it and Strelok Pro I seldom miss.e
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2017, 06:39   #9
Nathaniel01
Registered

FALaholic #: 72681
Thanks for the generous information. Good to know what works well.
Nathaniel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2017, 23:49   #10
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
The first laser range finder I had was a Nikon 550 which worked great, something didn't work right after taking it elk hunting. Took it back to Cabella's when they still cared about their customers. Returned it and got a Leupold RX-II, it worked good for a few years but now has issues with getting it to read what looking at. I used a Lieca 900 (older model) which worked great all the time.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 08:18   #11
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
It all depends on what you want from it. I have an old used Bushnell that I bought used for $75 and really didn't expect much from. The optics suck, but it has done everything I've asked it to both hunting and in competition, pretty reliably. Out to 300yds is a gimme. 500-600 works if you have a clean reflective target.
Old September 26, 2017, 10:18   #12
hueyville
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
I like my Vortex Optics Ranger 1000. I think you can get them for $300 or better at various places online.
Vortex is one of few with lifetime warranty on electronics. Leupold and SIG both have reputation of servicing or replacing electronics beyond warranty period. Like my Vortex, carry my $149 SIG daily and tested to 600 yards and has no error.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old September 28, 2017, 11:01   #13
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
I did a bit of research a couple of years ago on range finders because I wanted a good one but a range finder is not a piece of equipment that I see as vital to spend the necessary money on to have the very best. What I found is that a lot of the 'trusted" names like Bushnell, Nikon, & Leupold range finders in the price range I was looking at ($400) do not work so well out past 300 yards despite their claims. I don't need a range finder for distances less than 300 yards so that would be a waste of money. However, Leica rangefinders had consistently high ratings and reviews even at distances of 600+ yards; even their lower cost models. I do not recall which model I was specifically looking at and I still have not purchased one, but Leica has a couple of models in the $400-$460 price range. Eurooptic has them.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2017, 11:44   #14
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
What kind of accuracy could you expect to get by ranging stuff with a mil dot scope? Close enough for hunting out to 500 yards or so?
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2017, 02:26   #15
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
What kind of accuracy could you expect to get by ranging stuff with a mil dot scope? Close enough for hunting out to 500 yards or so?
Well if you know how to use a mil-dot 1000+ yards is very doable. And it may be even faster to get a shot off with it too.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 00:44   #16
hueyville
Registered

No experience with it but Midway has the Nikon RifleHunter 1000 Laser Rangefinder 6x Gray Refurbished at $213 in clearance section. No matter brand or device, never felt I got a bad deal or bad unit when buying factory refurbs. Usually buyers remorse returns fully tested and resold on the cheap. Read post higher up a bit advising to be careful with under $400 range finders. This was over that price point originally new. With Nikon learned to avoid their Prostate line made for golf and use their dedicated rifle units. Not a fan of Nikon rifle optics but stuff made last two years seems to be greatly improved durability. The SIG Kilo 1250 was initially $499, dropped to $249 and then blown out one week end for $149 and back to $249 now.

Liked mine so much bought second at $149 before they ran price back up. Both are 1/10th yard accurate on non reflective target to 600 yards and deadly close to a kilometer. Sometimes have to look past a clearance or sale price and find actual retail plus some reviews as we are in the oddest gun parts market have ever seen. Right now buying triggers that are $429 direct from manufacturer for $292 from another vendor. Doesn't mean the $292 units are not as good, just not price gouging and have a dealer relationship. Have to do due diligence on research, sometimes find one day or weekend deals that keep people like me with new toys in my toy box.
Old October 12, 2017, 19:27   #17
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
amazing deal on the bushnell. You can even upgrade with a Kestrel conx and link the 2. I have the system and it is awesome. Also wireless links to smart phones for ballistic programs.

half of what I paid for it. $279.

https://shop.brownells.com/optics-mo...SABEgJsaPD_BwE

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is online now   Reply With Quote