The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old October 07, 2017, 17:27   #1
.30-06
Registered

FALaholic #: 68016
Storm Lake threaded barrel help

I just installed a Storm Lake drop in match barrel for my 1911. What kind of suppressor do I need?

Thanks
Old October 07, 2017, 18:34   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Osprey 45 or Hybrid over at Silencerco. The Osprey is low profile and sleek, the Hybrid can be adapted from rimfire to 460 Weatherby Magnum. Have a Hybrid on my SIG 1911 Tacops and one a 7mm Rem Mag. Have an Osprey 9 on a 9mm SIG 2022 Tacops and will be buying a 45 as well due to low profile not interfering with sights.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2017, 10:45   #3
.30-06
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Osprey 45 or Hybrid over at Silencerco. The Osprey is low profile and sleek, the Hybrid can be adapted from rimfire to 460 Weatherby Magnum. Have a Hybrid on my SIG 1911 Tacops and one a 7mm Rem Mag. Have an Osprey 9 on a 9mm SIG 2022 Tacops and will be buying a 45 as well due to low profile not interfering with sights.
Thanks for the response! I think I'll go with the Osprey because I didn't take the profile of a can into account when I bought new sights...
Old October 09, 2017, 09:02   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Meprolight has most inexpensive tall tritium sights for any who might need. Even clear my Hybrid.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old October 11, 2017, 18:31   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

SIG 1911 Tacops TB with Hybrid Titanium can. Has their taller sights but still don't quite clear the can though right at top apex so learned to shoot it well enough. Also a SIG 2022 in 9mm with Osprey can. This is a Pro Model, not Tacops. Have a 2022 Tacops 9mm in my primary scoot outside with night vision AR if wife thinks heard the boogeyman and sights clear. Also have a 2022 Pro with Meprolight tall tritium sites that clear the Osprey can in another of my overt vests use with my short barrel suppressed FAL.

This 2022 rides in briefcase most days and sights are dead even with top of can so easy to line up. Shot two ground hogs and three squirrels with it in pictured configuration past couple of months. A 147 grain Federal HP makes a mess of a ground hog and puts a hole through squirrel can see daylight.

Stacked with 2022 on top of 1911 for size comparison.

Here is another comparison showing how much more compact the 2022 with Osprey is. Another consideration is 17 rounds versus 8 rounds in the 1911 and the 2022 rig is much lighter. Wife loves it.

I like both, the Osprey can be used on 300 B.O. as well and 6.8 subsonic or 22Lr. Works well on my M11's and 9mm M10. The Hybrid can can be adapted to a 10/22 up through a 460 Weatherby Mag, seen it done. If buy the 45 can use on 40 or 9mm and 300 B.O. plus others but check with manufacturer on warranty issues as to which is allowed. When screw the Osprey on 22 rimfire I put a piece of duct tape over end to act as wipe/reduce gap around bullet keeping more magical db's inside.

Tested with a quality dB meter and it confirmed rimfire and 6.8 quieter with tape over end for several rounds till gets tattered. Have another of the Hybrid cans on a 7mm Rem Mag use for long distance killing of bigger game. Not quiet but much more tolerable. Would take a shot without hearing protection knowing will hurt but not near as bad if no can.

Will probably buy an Osprey 45 soon and another Hybrid. Good cans, versitile and reasonably priced. The other Hybrid is going on 7mm Practical and see if KaBooms like a cartoon gun with banana stuck in muzzle.
Old October 11, 2017, 19:55   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Wife saw me piddling with the pair of suppressor pistols and when left bedroom, turned lights off she could see the tritium sights glowing from living room. Told me had left something on, told her was just the night sights glowing. She said I had never had her shoot after dark with anything but rifles with night vison and asked if we could bust a few caps before I dissapeared into the gun room to make more ammo?

Called neighbors and asked if some muffled shooting would be an issue which was not with either. Have some glow targets, clipped in traps and we each carried approximately fifty rounds outside preloaded in several magazines. This was first time shot either after dark with short sights, always put on tall sight guns as just assumed matter of time to get all threaded barrel pistols swapped to tall sights. Had a tall sight 2022 in rear pocket in case wife had any issues but she never complained.

As mentioned on both top of sight blades are dead even with tops of cans so in day have just used top edge of sights and know your an inch or so high. In the dark (and it's dark, dark tonight) cans seemed to dissapear in night and we just held dots lined up as best we could, aimed where wanted to hit and all rounds clustered nicely in groups that majority of rounds were about two inches high at approximately 40 feet. Aim center of mass and will get heart, lung, sternum hits. Absolutely perfect. Almost zero flash, almost zero muzzle climb and very controllable.

Wife finally wanted to try the 2022 without muffs so would know what to expect if had to use without hearing protection. She was stunned. Said her electronic muffs made it sound louder than without using factory loaded Federal 147 grain JSP at 1050 fps. Seemed like no time had gone by, each had fired our box of ammo and walked up hill to side door of house. (Will pick up )brass in the morning) Neighbor on that side was cooking steaks on grill on his front deck and when saw us under the lighting on side patio hollered and asked what we were shooting.

We met at fence and showed him the pair of SIG retro and late model Tacops. Told him were using full power ammunition but the cans swallowed up majority of noise. He said had we not called would have assumed using a finish nailer on trim or shooting CB caps. My guess is he will be in at LGS soon as now second time has asked about cans. Wife asked if could shoot the Beretta 22 rimfire pistols and reminded her no tritium sights even though have a can can move back and forth. Was suprised at how much fun wife had with the 9mm and full power rounds. Guess I know what she is getting for next Christmas as likely going to start stealing my cans soon if don't set her up. Now to find a threaded barrel and compact can for her Walthers.
Old October 13, 2017, 20:05   #7
.30-06
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Meprolight has most inexpensive tall tritium sights for any who might need. Even clear my Hybrid.
Might have to take a look at them because the Trijicon sights I have wont work...