Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old December 09, 2016, 18:59   #1
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
6.8 SPC Upper Deal

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516444449.html

Ordered one, then they showed out of stock. If interested in 6.8 keep checking back. Seems like a smoking deal to me. This will be deer gun for my little chillens.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2016, 11:34   #2
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
How much were they asking for it Byron?

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2016, 14:05   #3
ByronF
Registered

$380, free shipping
Old December 10, 2016, 17:00   #4
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

I'm kinda hanging back in hopes the prices are going to drop lower with free shipping.

Mark
Old December 11, 2016, 10:27   #5
Cornpone
Registered

FALaholic #: 76714
Damn that was a pretty good price. I paid more for their 6.8 upper with the A2 FSB. It shoots decent but not as accurate as the 6.8 I built using a Daniel Defense S2W barrel. I'll have to keep an eye on this upper and try to snag one if I can catch it in stock.

Let us know how it shoots.
Thanks

Last edited by Cornpone; December 11, 2016 at 11:05. Reason: spelling
Cornpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 06:37   #6
ByronF
Registered

Received the upper. Looks as it should. Rail tight, accurately indexed to receiver rails. Havent ordered mags or ammo yet so wont be testing any time soon.
Old January 11, 2017, 16:04   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Didn't want to start a new thread and since posting pics of a 6.8 spc II AR, figure this is as good a place as any.

Little 6.8 minding its own business.

Along comes a can and in 30 seconds or less...

Gets dark or need to touch something farther away same can on 5.56 AR.

And even better same can twists on one of my FAL's, M1a, 7.62x40 AR, 5.7x28 AR, turn bolts and more. Waiting on papers to clear and will have a total of three. Same can, same mount, covers any of my rifles 308 and under. Heard of others using on larger 30 calibers but I don't want to blow one up since have bigger cans, just not as elegant to move from one host to another.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2017, 17:28   #8
ByronF
Registered

Whats the cheek riser thing on the camo rifle? Is the dot so high that you need it? Does it interfere with charging handle?
Old January 11, 2017, 19:59   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Cheek riser gives perfect cheek weld with 1x red dot mounted at height for perfect cowitness with sights. If ever wonder if either is off, pop up sights and if both don't agree then something is amiss. Actually had battery go dead last week and when sights released dead center of reticle so nothing obscured. Often if taking a shot in the wild that really need bullet to land where aimed will activate sights as confirmation of optic.

It pops off without tools and does not interfere with charging handle if stock extended. So seldom use charging handle had to think for a second. This rifle stays loaded 24/7/365 till BHO catches bolt, new magazine inserted and bolt dropped on fresh magazine. Except for cleaning or swapping ammo type, which is seldom, the charging handle is hardly used. Cheek piece blocking charging handle is no issue unless odd chance of using to sweep a structure with narrow passage and don't extend stock. If had to charge with stock in closed position hand would pop it off. It's more important to me to have comfortable position on the rifle than worry about stock closed operation as its 22 rounds from empty usually and this little rifle has yet to not feed, fire or extract properly.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old February 16, 2017, 15:46   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Newest existing 6.8 thread so figure use it rather than start a new one. Last week had my daily driver and "Sunday go to church" trucks go in for service beyond my desire to do or ability. The '93 Dakota decided it needed it's second clutch at 325,000 miles and the 3/4 ton Cummins diesel started to show signs of the "death wobble" they are known for at 250,000 miles. Meant all guns had to come out to go to proper shops for each issue. Been busy since getting them back and just pitching a rifle in when drive one. This morning took the time to replace each trucks official rifle to lock behind seat of Dakota and under rear seat of the diesel.

Instead of the Oly XM177 clone and 14.7" M4 clone they both now have a 6.8 spc II in their locks, instead of the MTM 15 magazine box of 5.56 mags in toolbox the daily work truck got a mag pouch with six 25 round mags of 90 grain Gold Dots. Same spare ammo setup in the big truck. If seven mags of 6.8 doesn't get me home will just have to suck up the consequences.

Finished last job of day and the trigger plus forearm for the 22 Nosler build arrived on UPS truck today. Going to try and get it done so can start the camo job on it, doing a Realtree Gunskins wrap that's left over from when they still had a license to reproduce the Realtree pattern. Should have it wrapped, scoped and sighted in by varmint season. Can throw in which ever truck actually driving for sniping ground hogs. But am officially swapped over to 6.8 as the self defense weapon of choice. Finishing the last two builds gave me enough to leave one locked in each truck, next to each bed plus scattered where appropriate.

Still have a few Wylde chamber 5.56 for longer distance and precision work out of the vaults but 6.8 is now the predominant cartridge. Helper today noticed, had one site where owner said was o.k. to shoot and once snapped the suppressor on the sound of bullets striking stumps impressed him immensely. Sounds like a sledge hammer hitting solid wood. Even supersonic, 6.8 with a can is a fun toy to bust rocks and stumps with.
Old February 16, 2017, 23:11   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Didn't like the ghost image deer skulls,on my 22 Nosler so built another 14.7" 6.8 spc II clones that ran out of tiger stripe and let it rip with the skulls. Like these little 6.8's with Burris red dots.

Still have some areas to finish but from 3:30 till 10:30 pm been twisting up new rifle and laying skulls, seven hours after hard day of work was all I could stand. Rifle runs like scalded ape.
Old February 16, 2017, 23:38   #12
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Geea Huey the bottom AR just about totally disappears in with all your chickens. Did you say that was a 14.7 " 6.8 P.S.A Huey?

Mark
Old February 17, 2017, 00:50   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Yes, have three almost exact builds now. 14.7" CHF 1:11 barrel, Anderson lowers, Aero uppers, Palmetto premium HPT/MPI bolts, two are nickle boron plated, carbine gas, H2 buffers and run like scalded dogs. Can or no can don't have to adjust gas only differences are forearms had laying around. All have Burris XTS 1x red dots mounted on Burris tall mount so sights cowitness. Sights for this one will put on tomorrow after camo job is completely finished. Reason shoot pics on floor noticed it dissappeared in chickens.

About have files built to print up a set of chickenflauge camo for a build. Think the chickens will look good on rifles. Decided not to put graphics on the 22 Nosler as going on FDE billet upper and lower plus all FDE furniture including buffer tube. Since some folks love FDE if don't like it will be easy to part with in the new tacticool cartridge and full FDE color scheme. Have three 14.7", two 16" and one 18" 6.8 now and the 14.7's are my favorites.
Old February 17, 2017, 01:46   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Just popped over to Palmetto, 6.8 spc II logo bolt carrier groups reduced from $199 to $89 bucks. Not seen on sale in a while, dropped two in cart and zoomed out on a barrel hunt. Found a 16" 1:10 with lifetime warranty from company that's done well by me in past for $94. Now to find one more barrel and will have an eight pack of 6.8's.
Old February 17, 2017, 09:52   #15
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

I'll have to pop over to PSA just might get me a couple of those 6.8 bcg's that's a good deal. I want to build a 6.8 with a 14.7 CHF barrel I have two 6.8's one is an 18" the other is a 22" both are Triad ARP barrels, Aero uppers with PSA lowers.

Mark
Old February 17, 2017, 10:59   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Red Barn Armory has a good deal on Aero uppers right now as well as White Oak Armament. Got uppers from both last week that are in process or finished built already. Screwing together an AR is quick when all the tools and parts are ready to go. Don't know why enjoy my 6.8's so much but have torn down other cartridge AR's for 6.8 parts.
Old February 17, 2017, 14:39   #17
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Huey is your 14.7's 6.8's or are they 5.56? Only 14.7's I found at PSA was 5.56. I wish I hadn't missed the last sale at PSA on there Federal 6.8 seems like their not interested in selling the 6.8.

Mark
Old February 17, 2017, 19:26   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Chickenflauge v1.1 project underway.

Need to color balance more toward brown, background has too much white. Will make some PhotoShop adjustments tomorrow, reprint and redo. By this time next week expect should have size of chickens, background color, need to put a matte over coating as a bit shiny but hardest part is done. Getting started. Plan to put on my subsonic specific 6.8 build.

The two tiger stripe 6.8's are my 90 grain Gold Dot rifles. The new pattern finished last night and this morning will be for Hornady 110 grain tipped bullets. Thus grab rifle, six pack of matching magazines and know your rifle and spare ammo are matched. Should make it difficult for others to mix up ammo especially. Have dozens of ideas for custom finishes in my addled brain
Old February 18, 2017, 12:36   #19
ByronF
Registered

Why, I'd be proud as a game rooster to own a rifle that sexy. Hot chicks.
Old February 18, 2017, 13:37   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Finished it out both sides along with detailing the nooks and crannies. WS making a.fool of myself showing at LGS when had one man asked if it was for sale. Replied it was still experimental, have darken background and put a matte clear on to knock down the gloss. Company that first started selling the kit wrap kits sent me a copy of BATFE letter saying an overlay is not refinishing or gunsmithing. Only done my rifles but know wrap sops doing rifles.

One of the employees asked if possible to do a Star Wars theme. Said other than violating copyright law, it was possible and in fact easy with my equipment. Nice pretty girl and if don't charge her and buy a pile of Star Wars stickers might could puzzle them on. Another customer asked what all I could do, said anything down to family portrait. He wants '55 Chevy's on his rifle. Have to see if outline/shape is trademark infringement though have clip art from a company that has licensing agreements with lots of major corporations and extends to end user in certain circumstances. My clip art allows me to do most vehicle logos for a single use on vehicle, just not mass producing for sale to hundreds and thousands. Stealing images is why my website so screwed up. Over 70% of thumbnails were linked to fairly high resolution pictures. Discovered company reselling my images, shut them down with court order. After Tour de France one year found my pictures in magazines and newspapers with no photo credit or more importantly paid release for use.

Can make a Chevrolet sign for a dealer but can't make a sticker with Calvin peeing on Chevy emblem. Guy who owns Calvin cartoon has put more sign shops and garage businesses into bankruptcy than anyone else I know of. He will viciously sue someone for reproducing Calvin just a single time. Another area am always careful is trademark infringement. Seen people lose businesses making Chevy and Ford decal sets to go on Chevy's and Ford's without license agreement. Coke will rip your @$$ too, as bad as the Calvin guy.

Now to see how far can go to satisfy customer and stay within copyright law. Will have to pass on some jobs. For a CYA made agreement with FFL gunsmith licensed facility to log rifles into their book, apply on their premises and give 25% of fee. When pinned down on price to build custom files, scan pictures, print, apply matte flexible U.V. clear coat $200 to $300 should do most. Could see someone running it up a tad more but time takes is worth $200 minimum. Getting faster, did stock, lower and upper in 2.5 hours including design and printing. First took two days, then got down to a day, last complete rifle with optic six hours. Main thing is offering people something different and having equipment that prints chemical resistant and highly flexible graphics. So now have a product and have to be careful on what I reproduce and how. I know am not about to get in pissing war with George Lucas doing Star Wars kits for AR's but 10 minutes in gun store had three people wanting guns done.
Old February 18, 2017, 20:19   #21
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblu72 View Post
Huey is your 14.7's 6.8's or are they 5.56? Only 14.7's I found at PSA was 5.56. I wish I hadn't missed the last sale at PSA on there Federal 6.8 seems like their not interested in selling the 6.8.

Mark
Was searching last night to see if could find some fair priced 14.7" barrels for you and figured another for me wouldn't hurt. All I found in 14.7" were a bit pricey. Did stumble on some 20" 1:10 melonite 5R units maker claimed were match grade and throats have an extra thousandth of freebore to allow running hot loads with less risk of KaBooming the rifle. Said perfect if want to seat heavy bullets out and single load or load to max magazine length. Reason for faster twist and length is to allow 120 and 130 grain bullets to stabilize. Also ordered a Superbolt (pricey thing at $69 stripped with no extractor or gas rings but if it's the cool kid on the block) so can heat up,some of the 130's and see how hard can make a poodle shooter hit. Book says 2,460 fps for over 1,700 ft/lbs of energy. That's significantly more than most 5.56 rounds make. Still not a 308, eh?

Happen to have 10,000 130 grain bullets purchased at deal before knew enough about 6.8's. Now have a use for them. Believe my 16" 1:7 twist subsonic barrel might like the 130's also. Hope so, drives me nuts looking at those bags and no use for them. Also scored twenty more stainless 6.8 magazines so looks like I will be close to cracking double digits in 6.8 builds soon. Learned supposed to square the front of receivers for 6.8 builds and replace bolts every 5,000 rounds. Will square all new builds and see how the ones already built last as plan to run them till break and first is already over 2,000 rounds without issues.
Old March 08, 2017, 17:05   #22
cotter
Registered

FALaholic #: 23754
6.8 bolts on sale again!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-6...t=5%3a00+Email
cotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2017, 17:14   #23
ByronF
Registered

Seeing less and less evidence of 6.8 at PSA. Used to at least show items that were out of stock. Now those parts dont even appear. Thats a nice price on that BCG.
Old March 08, 2017, 18:45   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Ordered three more to go with pile from last sale. Think cost of ammo is killing 6.8 sales. Finished the 22 Nosler except installing scope.

Old March 08, 2017, 21:12   #25
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
Does 6.8 work with standard 5.56 lower/buffer and spring?
HankC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2017, 01:41   #26
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Needs specific bolt but carrier is same. I buy Palmetto Premium BCG's when on sale and pile them up as 6.8 is using 25% to 30% more powder to push a bullet often double the weight of 5.56 fodder. Hard use can break them quicker. When have extra cash order ARP 6.8 Super Bolts which are much stronger alloy, design and more meat in lockup areas. As able to afford put in most abused rifles and put the Palmetto bolt back as a spare. Have about 1/3 switched to ARP Super Bolts.

Gas system is same. Use good quality standard carbine spring with H2 buffer and carbine gas in most 6.8 builds but switch to H3 buffer or heavier if likes them. Have two 6.8 barrels with mid length gas and like to use curly gas tubes on carbine length guns when have an extra curly tubes laying around. Expect the 22 Nosler to be more brutal on parts. Have an H2 buffer in it with rifle length adjustible gas and will carry an H3 first range day. Have an ARP 5.56 Super Bolt and some of Slash's XH Carbine buffers (8.5 ounces) on way for it and my 18" 6.8's with mid length gas to try.

All my AR's are built for reliability best can on a budget. Longer gas and heavier buffer slows down cyclic rate, increases lock up time (microseconds) and runs them slower. By putting a curly gas tube on carbine length barrel, gun sees a rifle length gas system due to extra length of gas tube. Front three rifles in this pile from a couple years ago got curly tubes.

Front two slide fires got them along with H2 buffers to slow them down and the third is a 6.8. The 6.8 ended up with an H3 buffer at first range trip as would fully cycle with 85 through 120 grain ammo with the H3 and calmed the powder keg burning cases pushing heavy bullets down bore keeping buffer from travelling too far rearward. Rear two Wylde have rifle length gas systems. Have an 18" ARP 1:10 3R and Bison 20" SPR profile 6.8 barrel on bench as next builds. Both will start with H4 buffers and Super Bolts. Assume with the longer barrels, longer gas, building to launch 120 and 130 grain bullets will need a heavier buffer. Adjustible gas is user preference. Am about 50/50 on it with poodle shooters.

If ammo makers don't step up to plate the 6.8 will be relegated to just a few specialty makers keeping price of parts high. New unfired brass runs 77 cents each. Got lucky end of 2015 and scored 10,000 unfired, primed cases then another 2,500 plus deal on 2,500 milspec white box loaded ammo so have 15,000 cases to play with. If don't reload 6.8 is expensive to shoot a lot. If look around and lurk can find occasional deals on S&B loaded ammo and SSA or Federal brass but have to work for it and jump second you see a deal or a vendor with 100,000 cases and good price will sell out in 24 hours or less. Today even though a 6.8 is in lock behind seat of truck, threw a second one in. Am rushing the 20" build to see how shoots, guy I know is shooting sub 1/2 MOA groups with his 20" and holds MOA out to 250/300. Want to see a 100 grain tipped bullet blow ground hogs and coyotes into mushroom clouds.
Old March 17, 2017, 03:27   #27
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
What are you guys doing about brass for this caliber?

I am interested but it just seems so expensive to get into this game for plinking.
Old March 17, 2017, 04:10   #28
ByronF
Registered

Agree that this is not a plinking caliber. And Huey is likely the only person hoarding 6.8 ammo. For me this is a deer hunting caliber. I'll buy a couple boxed of factory ammo then reload from there. Doubt I'll ever have more than 60 pieces of brass and ammo.
Old March 17, 2017, 04:46   #29
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Seems this is just not in my future.

Carry-on!

Old March 17, 2017, 11:32   #30
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Steve View Post
What are you guys doing about brass for this caliber?

I am interested but it just seems so expensive to get into this game for plinking.
If my next few brass orders come in as promised will be able to share. Found a guy who sells once fired S&B brass boxer primed cases at really fair prices. Purchased his last two lots when he got barrels separated. We have a tenative agreement will contact me first and will buy all he has. Purchased a 450 count lot and a 700 count lot from him this year. Says he currently has two 55 gallon drums to separate. He seems to get a load per month. First batch was 30 cents each, second batch was 25 cents each. Beats the 70 to 75 cent per case price for SSA brass.

Got plain lucky back in 2014, purchased 10,000 pieces of pull down unfired brass and 15,000 6.8 Gold Dots on a single order, negotiated a price of $2,200 for total order. Month later purchased 5,000 more cases and 5,000 more bullets from same person and had 3k in components. Sounds like a lot but up to 11 rifles now, with other purchases have about 2,500 rounds per rifle. Initially stunned me how much powder a 6.8 consumed. Powder of choice for 6.8 was suckling 9.5 grains more powder than 5.56. Was getting roughly 300 rounds per pound with 5.56 which dropped to 215 per pound with 6.8. Start loading 5,000 round runs and 100 less per pound hits the inventory and wallet.

Because ammo has not been SAAMI certified most load data is light due to liability and so many spec 1 barrels floating around. Combine this with dot mil not really using much outside of special ops there is no big demand on ammo companies or surplus ammo which drops prices. 6.8 is going to become a cult cartridge with two or three manufacturers offering product which will keep parts prices up. With 300 B.O. as the bigger of the non 5.56; 6.5 and 6.8 along with 270 AR, 277 Wolverine or most other chamberings will be expensive to shoot and slowly dry up. Believe 6.8 will hang on with ARP, Bison and few others as enough people like a carbine with stopping power on two and four legged game. 6.5 will linger in shadows too because of its ballistics. But soon most will have never heard of either or remember them as failures in marketplace. It's amazing the number of low round count barrels and bolts can find now. If not for the $100 to $150 nice used barrels, large lots of $59, $89 and $99 nickle boron BCG's combined with luck back in early 2014 when folks thought 6.8 might replace 5.56 I would not be as deep in as have gotten. My plan is to build 14 then have some spare barrels and bolts then call it done. Fact have to work hard to shoot heavies or subsonic will keep 300 B.O. as king of that market.

Learned in panics like Sandy Hook if had rifles and ammo it changed the game converting overburden into cash. Was selling the crap out of NIB, still full of cosmoline chinese SKS's with 600 round tins of ammo. Whenever my LGS was totally out of rifles and ammo which was common as shipment came in was gone before closing was allowed to follow panicked clients to parking lot. Would strike a deal and walk the kit inside where he charged $25 to do a Form 4473. Far as buyer was concerned, got rifle and ammo at his place and word got around he often had rifles even when shelves were empty. Sandy Hook paid all my old medical bills from car wreck in 2007 when rear ended and left holding 30 days of hospital and specialists bills, 2008 economy crash company bills and put money in the gun kitty for when market normalized. If I can't stockpile ammo for a build, the rifle is not much good to me. As finish a 5.56 or 6.8 process 1,200 rounds to go with it. A poodle shooter or battle rifle with under 100 rounds of ammo is useless. Better to skip the builds and invest that money in ammo or components for fewer rfiles unless use for hunting only.

Now have one 1:7 twist 16" barrel and going to order the 11.5" 1:7 from Bison Monday so can have a standard size and short 6.8 that shoots subs and heavies. With most barrels 1:11 twist and won't stabilize heavies or subs that kills the use of most surplus 270 bullets. My 20" 1:10 will spin up to 130 and 140 grain bullets. The 16" 1:7 will stabilize heavier but can go loopy with some. 6.8 is too complicated and expensive for the tacticool operators. They need a 5.56 or a 300 BO if want to max the cool factor. Currently have two bullet molds on way for 6.8, one is a 160 grain gas check other is being custom made to drop 200 grain gas check bullets. They will be almost a wadcutter with truncated cone point to help feeding. Math says will st b ilize at 1,050 fps in 1:7 twist. 1/3 of case capacity will have bullet shoved in it. But once I get 6.8's flinging lead like my 7.6239 (160 grain bullets) and 7.6251 (247 grain bullets) will comtrol plinking costs a lot and a 6.8 launching 200 grain subs with a can will be a hoot. Looks like they are about to roll me out of recovery to a room. Thank God as burning some bits and bytes laying in bed.
Old April 24, 2017, 16:25   #31
ByronF
Registered

Well since PA decided that too much liberty all at once might make us hunters crazy (still cant hunt deer in PA withba semi, only varmints for now) I decided to sell the upper on Gunbroker. Sold for $40 more than I paid.

Also scoped the M14 clone, and may also bed it and have trigger improved. So may just stick with that if PA ever finds us responsible enough to hunt deer with semi.
Old April 24, 2017, 18:47   #32
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
With high 6.8 ammo price, a lot of folks switch to 6.5G while cheap steel case ammo available and said better long range performance. I have to wonder if 6.8 would just become less popular and fade away! Then maybe I can pick up a few cheap uppers!
HankC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017, 19:18   #33
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have been buying top quality match grade 6.8 barrels and bolts at good prices. Usually 50 to 100 total round count, sometimes zero rounds. Seems like most are just selling barrels and using rest of upper parts as switch back ro 5.56 or 300 B.O.