The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 14, 2018, 13:50   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Her folks

In highschool I had a sweetheart that I spent some time with. Liked her a lot and we had a good time when we were together. Her folks were well to do and didn't like me being two years older and from a poor family so they told her to break it off. I really liked her but things work out the way they are supposed to and I met my wife and had a good life with her.

So today I read the obits in the paper and my old flame had died. Never married and worked until her health failed her then moved in with her mom until she died of diabetes. Lost a leg along the way. Often thought of old flames after my wife died and I wondered how life treated them. I guess if you live long enough you will see them all in the obits.
Old September 14, 2018, 17:02   #2
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
That sux. Sorry to hear.

I've been happily married for 29 years and I'm not wondering too hard.

That said, there are two women that I lost track of many years ago that I sometimes wonder about. One really needed to get herself clean and turn her life around. She looked me up about a month before I got married and I told her exactly that. I truly hope she did. The other, was just a ship passing in the night...Sweet, sexy lady. Neither came close to the love that I have shared with my wife all these years though.
Old September 14, 2018, 17:09   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

Met my wife in highschool and married 40 years and really happy years. Dated some gals that were very interesting but nothing serious ever became of it. This gal and one other rang my bell. Once I got married I lost all intrest in other women but now I look back and wonder what they are doing now.
Old September 17, 2018, 13:54   #4
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
We all probably have the "I wonder what became of (fill in blank here)." Mine was the sweetest cute girl I sat next to in several classes in high school, and was very close friends with, but not romantic (I had 1 gf through most of HS). One day while looking at another HS friend's Facebook I tripped onto that cute girl and dropped her a line, wanting to meet and reminisce since as far as I knew she had fallen off the planet 25+yrs prior. She kindly declined, thinking it not right to meet a guy while she was married, and I let it be that; at least I knew she was alive and well. 6 or so months later I'm making plans with another old HS friend (again no romantic history) to hit the gun range (aside here, she's about the hottest thing you ever saw with a 9mm, 4'10" of Viet-hot-damn-ess) as we tried to go about once a quarter. The other friend sees we're making plans, chimes in she'd like to give it a try, and the 3 of us make plans to hit the range. Come to find out she didn't drive and asked me to pick her up. I do, we go to the range, she has a ball, get's reacquainted with the Viet and I, and I take her home. On the way I teasingly ask "what's your husband going to say about you hanging out with a guy from HS and shootin' guns?" She answers "well, if you like coffee, come in, drink a cup, and I'll tell you about it." Turns out he'd knocked another girl up after 19 years of marriage, and left my friend by a letter left on the computer keyboard. That day at the range was Jan 8th, 2011, he'd walked out 6 weeks prior and she was just trying to occupy her brain. She made every effort to work things out, he (STUPIDLY) refused. Come late May that same year they were divorced. We got close, didn't rush into anything, and now we've been married 2 1/2 years, and we're still in the "every day is better than the last." We talk. We laugh. We go on a date every Saturday night, just like we did for the 5+ years before the "I do's." Neither of us has ever been happier.

Thank you God and Facebook (it's not ALL bad!).

Related... I made the prediction not long after she and I started hanging out, while they were still married, that if he staid on that path "he's going to be twice divorced, paying child support, and living in a 1br apartment, sitting in a lounge, chair eating a TV dinner and asking "why did this happen to me???" Turns out I was wrong about one thing... it was a travel trailer.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2018, 16:05   #5
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I have a couple of ex girlfriends and even an ex spouse that asked ME to be facebook buddies. One I was really crazy about, went lesbo. Another one is on her 3rd marriage, she was hot but too much woman for any male to handle..

I wonder about some of the others, the one I had the biggest connection with, was a couple of years younger than me, and I walked out on her because I did not want to be a bad influence in her life. She had school and university to finish, and I did not have the patience to stick around. I have no idea what happened to her, but one day I would like to tell her "I'm sorry, I was an idiot".

One of my other ex gf's had a great father, he actually opened a gun store later on, and when me and my current wife (then gf) went to South Africa in 1996, I visited his gun store. He told me "be glad you did not marry my daughter, she turned into a fat cow".. Could not believe he said that..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2018, 16:23   #6
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I have just one that I wonder about from time to time. If I ever was to see her again I would tell her how lucky she was not to have married me back in the day. I was really stupid back then but life has given me a pretty good education though long and arduous. I hope her life has been full and she is happy.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2018, 16:26   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

Even as a young man I worked a lot and some of my friends worked in the same places. We would have get together after work and 3 or four women would join us. Nancy was a good looker and really smart plus a hard worker. She hung around and we Double dated a number of times and she was real fun to be around.

Since graduation nobody ever saw her again. Never made it to a reunion and none of her friends ever heard from her.
Old September 17, 2018, 16:31   #8
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
First GF was very hot and big knockers got married, divorced, married and seems to be happy now. A little heavier but still looks good.

My first ex (Latina) got cancer after we married and she passed away after about 5 years.

My second ex (Italian) turned out was a closet junkie ... hot sexy woman but completely psychotic so I had to let her go. Lost track of her except heard she and her new man were doing time in prison for some fraud and burglary crap years ago.

My current wife (Latina) we met in 1978 and been happy since. For 40 years life has been good.
Old September 17, 2018, 16:59   #9
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
My 1st ex was married to her for 20 years. Met in high school. We divorced 20 yrs ago. Saw her back in 2012 or so. Whoa Father Time sure kicked her ass. Shes basically living with an ex best friend of mine. She made all the rounds after we broke up to guys I hung out with.

Thinking about chiXX from 40 years ago isnt constructive. Those are some long odds. Get on a dating site. Met my wife on eharmony. Married over 4 years. Were learning to put up with each other. Though its been stressful trying to get debt free along with moving twice.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:09   #10
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
I want to live so long that all my friends in Heaven will think I didn't make it, until I finally get there to join 'em.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:28   #11
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I tend to believe that in most cases if things don't work out there is good reason for it.

I had a great high school girlfriend that I fumbled away, but in retrospect glad it didn't work out. I came across my old high school's FB page and saw her on it, still looking decent but with average white collar joe she is married to. I would have ended up in the same place probably, living in a place I didn't want to, working a job I didn't like and doing things like going to softball games I didn't want to do.

Another one from back when I was still somewhat in the Matrix on the blue pill, was a gal from down under. I was just so in love with her and she decided a few years later she was a lesbo and married her ugly female lover. Another bullet dodged.

The rest are all like that too, bullets dodged. I'd say perhaps there was this one Brazilian gal that understood me but that didn't work out either, so it goes.

All you get from looking back is a sore neck, so move forward is my philosophy. Women are plentiful, when one doesn't work out, onto the next. I never wanted to end up like the characters in the Springsteen song "Glory Days". I went to high school with people like that and I always work towards making my life better every damn day and not sitting around singing some sad old song about some old saggy ass bimbo with 3 kids and 3 ex husbands.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:26   #12
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
It's perfectly normal to wonder about the people we've lost contact with, whether they were friends, lovers, or coworkers.
Every guy has a moment when they remember old lovers. I'm sure that ladies do the same.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote