Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old September 15, 2018, 21:07   #251
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 45 View Post
And see, I'm sitting over here thinking if I want to use my FAL at the next one so I can be accepted into your guys' tribe.

There no other weird initiation, is there? I don't have to drink water filter with Jimmy's dirty socks or anything?
Run the FAL at Zombie.
ElTigre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2018, 21:14   #252
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Bring an FAL to a fun match like Tiger's Zombie thing.
Beat ya to it, big guy.

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2018, 21:28   #253
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigre View Post
Run the FAL at Zombie.
This would be hilarious, because I'm planning to run the M4 at Zombie just to see if I'm missing out on anything obvious with the little rifle.
Old September 15, 2018, 23:47   #254
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Besides the light weight, ergos, and pointability, it's plain vanilla. But those are good things.

If you shoot 75 gr. pills, it'll go out to 700 - if the wind isn't terrible.

I wish I were doing the Zombie run. I told Tiger I want to do it, but I can't commit yet.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old September 16, 2018, 07:54   #255
kotengu
Registered

Quote:

Besides the light weight, ergos, and pointability, it's plain vanilla. But those are good things.
And it makes my hands look big.

I'm shooting 77gr for the most part. I was working up some 55gr loads yesterday though, and I had a rude awakening. When shooting groups at 100yds I typically just ignore the wind - it's not usually THAT hard and it doesn't do much to a good 155gr .30 cal bullet anyway at that distance.

But I was getting some funny horizontal spreads on some groups, so I had to come home and look it up. A 10 mph wind will push a 55gr FMJ 1.8" at 100yds. That's crazy!!!
Old September 16, 2018, 11:00   #256
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Quote:

I'm running FAL (10K) + AK (10K) at OK Run 'n' Gun in January. I think I'm gonna stick with AR in the future for this one, and train to move up in weight class.
You looking to get that "Cockfight of the free world" patch back?
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 11:28   #257
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Ha-ha! I had it too long, man.

I'm motivated to train harder than I've been training, and having to carry heavy stuff for long distances is the only way I know to scare myself into it.

I'm embarrassed to say that, but it's true: external, fear-of-failure-based motivation for this guy.
Old September 16, 2018, 11:31   #258
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
And it makes my hands look big.

I'm shooting 77gr for the most part. I was working up some 55gr loads yesterday though, and I had a rude awakening...
Yeah - it's ugly. I carry mags of 55 gr. stuff for matches, and two mags of 75 gr. match stuff for stages like Horse Soldiers. I won't spend $1.00/round for the entire round count.
Old September 16, 2018, 11:47   #259
TxGunDawg
Registered

Quote:
Ha-ha! I had it too long, man.

I'm motivated to train harder than I've been training, and having to carry heavy stuff for long distances is the only way I know to scare myself into it.

I'm embarrassed to say that, but it's true: external, fear-of-failure-based motivation for this guy.
Well, just keep looking over your shoulder.

You definitely help keep me motivated.

In Rockcastle You only got me by 14 minutes on the run.

And 7.5 percentage points on the shooting.
Old September 16, 2018, 12:21   #260
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:
If someone ever does footy socks, short bush shorts, and FALs for a match, I"m going to grow my hair back to the long/curly/bushy thing I had in college and rock a '70s mustache for the SADF/Be A Man Among Men award...
Does Bruce’s FAL match count? Because I fully intend to show up in Rhodie attire, and I’d love to see you with a mustache.
Old September 16, 2018, 18:39   #261
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Okay. Challenge accepted.

Shorts: check

footie socks & boots: check

nutria bush hat/boonie: check

Hair not quite long enough to get the curls, but I'm not cutting it until then, so I'll have some Euro-tweener hairdo - which just might work: check

Mustache: It won't be great, but I'll rock what I've got

Hairy chest: nope. I'm going with some t-shirt. Gotta figure out what that is. Maybe I can find an old SADF / Soldier of Fortune t-shirt...
Old September 16, 2018, 18:57   #262
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
For your checklist:

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 19:17   #263
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Uh... thanks?

Old September 16, 2018, 19:26   #264
TxGunDawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
For your checklist:

or

Old September 16, 2018, 20:04   #265
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Look at those boss Chuck Taylors and neck beards.

I'm not EVEN man enough to pull that off.
Old September 16, 2018, 20:16   #266
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Okay. Challenge accepted.

Shorts: check

footie socks & boots: check

nutria bush hat/boonie: check

Hair not quite long enough to get the curls, but I'm not cutting it until then, so I'll have some Euro-tweener hairdo - which just might work: check

Mustache: It won't be great, but I'll rock what I've got

Hairy chest: nope. I'm going with some t-shirt. Gotta figure out what that is. Maybe I can find an old SADF / Soldier of Fortune t-shirt...
F$&k it - I'm in. Somebody has to promise to hold Nuttz back though.
Old September 16, 2018, 20:18   #267
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Somebody has to promise to hold Nuttz back though.
See what I did there? I crack my self up...
Old September 16, 2018, 20:44   #268
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

LMAO are we seriously all doing this??? LOVEEEEEEEE IT!!!

Old Yesterday, 11:04   #269
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Nuttz' vid is up.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:22   #270
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Nuttz' vid is up...
Thank you good Sir.

Link for browsers that do not support embedded video -
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ZHetT2pgQ
Old Yesterday, 13:49   #271
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Yesterday, 14:17   #272
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

No putting my picture up without asking me first.
Old Yesterday, 14:51   #273
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
Yes. So get on that!!
Old Yesterday, 15:08   #274
kotengu
Registered

Enough about tight shorts and fabulous mustaches - take that to the GA thread!

Repost from FB for all non-FBers:

There's no way a video can do justice to the spirit, comaraderie, catharsis, horrible and amazing weather conditions, explosions and 50 cal simulators, and demonstrations of sheer willpower and skill we saw last weekend. But here's six minutes in which I try to capture just a TASTE of all that.

Thank you to everyone for helping me to pull this off and making it an extremely successful weekend from every single angle: from sharing 5th Group stories, to honoring their fallen and Gold Star Fathers, to raising a ton of money for the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 - and welcoming the guys themselves into our awesome Run N Gun Family while testing ourselves against the hardest course I've seen yet. I couldn't have done it without each and every one of you.

Old Yesterday, 15:29   #275
kotengu
Registered

And because these stories NEED to be told, I'm going to reprint the portions of the match books explaining the events behind each stage.

Stage 1: BRONCO DOWN

MACV-SOG, or Military Assistance Command Vietnam Studies and Observation Group, was a joint service unconventional warfare task force engaged in highly classified operations throughout Southeast Asia. The 5th Special Forces channeled personnel into MACV-SOG under secret orders. These teams performed deep penetration missions of strategic reconnaissance and interdiction, such as the "Shining Brass" or "Prairie Fire" missions in 1971. When the Special Forces began operations in Vietnam, it didn’t take long to for the OV10, “Bronco” aircraft to earn its reputation as one of the most feared weapon in the US arsenal by the Viet Cong, NVA and Pathet Lao. The enemy knew the Bronco meant an air strike would certainly follow.

On 6 July 1971, US Army Special Forces Capt. Donald G. "Butch" Carr, crewed a Bronco to find, fix, and support suppression of enemy forces. MAJ Carr was the Deputy Commander of the MACV-SOG element at Nakhon Phanom, Thailand. His Bronco, Nail 48 assailed one of the major arteries of the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail. Its mission was to target this border road used by the Communists to transport weapons, supplies and troops from North Vietnam into South Vietnam, until his aircraft disappeared after reports of enemy activity.

After his disappearance, there were wild and varied reports of a “crazy American,” who had survived the crash. Donald Carr was among nearly 600 Americans who disappeared in Laos. While it is not known exactly what unfolded when MAJ Carr and his partner crash landed, numerous reports indicated multiple Enemy Killed in Action at or around the crash site. We do know MAJ Carr’s body was found decades later, far from the site. MAJ Carr was recovered and his remains returned to his family this year.
Old Yesterday, 15:36   #276
kotengu
Registered

Stage 2: AT TANF, “DE-CONFLICTION ZONE”

In 2017, American Green Berets manned and operated an austere outpost in the Syria-Iraq-Jordanian “Tri-Border Region,” to disrupt enemy forces and target ISIS or “Da’esh” militants as they attempted to escape the killing grounds of the Middle Euphrates Valley. The Green Berets were highly trained in preparing local ground forces for combat. Despite the austerity of their location, they remained vigilant for the opportunity to engage Da’esh as they fled toward the US Partner-Country of Jordan. In the past year, At Tanf has seen multiple engagements and remains a hot bed of enemy and international activity.

During a security patrol, two separate Green Beret elements made contact with and interdicted a small, hostile smuggling force. When engaged by the enemy, elements in contact made radio contact with adjacent units for support. The two teams quickly adjusted their activity to move to the location of the firefight and engage the enemy. One team had to hastily mount their gun trucks, and upon positively identifying suicide vests on multiple combatants began engaging and neutralizing the enemy immediately.

That day resulted in numerous Da’esh enemy killed in action, and zero wounded or injured Green Berets. The action sent a clear message to Da’esh attempting to flee that American forces were waiting, and willing to interdict.
Old Yesterday, 15:38   #277
kotengu
Registered

Stage 3: RAQQAH RUMBLE

Currently Special Forces from sister services are operating together collectively to combat our Nation’s enemies. Elite Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) Operator, Chief Kenton Stacy was critically wounded in November as one of the few elite Navy EOD operators assigned to a Special Forces unit tasked with clearing areas which had been held by ISIS fighters. While his team was clearing improvised explosive devices from the second floor of a hospital that had been rigged with booby traps, one of the devices detonated within just a few feet of Kenton, injuring his spinal cord and forever changing his life. Stacy endured the brunt of the blast, saving many of his teammates. His team reacted and sprang into action to speed him to critical care facilities. The teams continued work to clear the hospital, wrecked buildings and tunnel systems for months to come. Special Forces and EOD experts must face uncertain environments such as tunnels, cave systems, and wreckage in the current operating environment.
Old Yesterday, 15:40   #278
kotengu
Registered

Stage 4 (10k only): THE MANBIJ POCKET

In 2016, the reach and control the Islamic State had established in Northern Syria was staggering. It would take US Special Forces and their partners numerous operations and countless munitions to stem IS’s spread and retake key terrain, to turn the fight against IS. The Manbij Offensive, code-named Operation Martyr by the Syrian Democratic Forces was a 2016 military offensive to finally break through IS lines—at the time this was a small, critical pocket IS forces had established in Manbij city. Surrounding the "Manbij Pocket" in the northern Aleppo Governorate, Special Forces and the SDF saw the opportunity to cut off IS's last smuggling and supply routes from Turkey and shorten the battle. During the first 5 days of the offensive, the US-led coalition conducted over 55 airstrikes to support friendly maneuver. Desperate IS fighters used suicide attacks, improvised “mad max” vehicles, and drones to attempt counterattacks. After capturing Manbij city on 12 August, the SDF announced that the offensive would continue east from Manbij to crush IS.
Old Yesterday, 15:42   #279
kotengu
Registered

Stage 5 (10k only): THE MIND IS THE BEST WEAPON

Nicknamed "Texas 12", a Special Forces Operational Detachment-Alpha designated “SFOD-A 574” was a 12-man team of U.S Green Berets. They worked side-by-side with irregular militia led by Hamid Karza, to capture the Islamic spiritual center in the city of Kandahar, and thus win over a critical center of gravity within the population of Afghanistan. The 12 Americans of ODA 574, assisted by U.S. close air support and 35 Afghans, successfully defended Tarin Kowt against 1,000 Taliban insurgents delivered by 100 trucks. Assisting the local militia, they helped to defeat the Taliban further along the Arghandab River and at Shawali Kowt and Sayyd Alma Kalay. These victories were the key to the Kandahar Campaign, ending when Kandahar was occupied by Marine Expeditionary Units.

The battle and the overall defeat of the Taliban came at a heavy price. Master Sgt. Jefferson Donald "Donnie" Davis, Staff Sgt. Brian Cody Prosser, and SFC Daniel H. Petithory and twenty members of Karzai’s militia were killed. Five other members of ODA 574 and Karzai were wounded. Despite this incredible loss, members of SFOD-A 586 soldiers from Bravo Company, 3rd BN, 5th SFG, with reinforcements from adjacent units, were able to usher Karzai and new leadership into the center of power at Kandahar. President Karzai was able to negotiate the surrender of Taliban forces around Kandahar, drastically shortening the length of the war.
Old Yesterday, 15:44   #280
kotengu
Registered

Stage 4 (5k)/Stage 6 (10k): HORSE SOLDIERS

In the days following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the Defense Department sent two teams of Army Special Forces soldiers to Afghanistan to bring down the Taliban. SFODA 595, the “Horse Soldiers,” went on missions that were extended for weeks and months. They did it all without body armor or tactical vehicles, living with Afghan partners and following an Afghan plan—often using horses and pack animals. 595 was charged with leading the Northern Alliance and the men of former (assassinated) Ahmed Shah Massoud to unite Afghanistan against Taliban rule. These Green Berets were among the first to deploy to Afghanistan after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Some of them rode into battle on horseback alongside fighters from the Northern Alliance. There were no guarantees that General Dostum of the Afghan Northern Alliance would safeguard the team, and many members had never ridden horseback before. The team found itself uniquely postured to react to the Nation’s call to duty after the 9/11 attacks.
Old Yesterday, 15:46   #281
kotengu
Registered

Stage 5 (5k)/Stage 7 (10k): HIGH VALUE TARGET

As early as January in eastern Syria, one of two operations in less than a month, Coalition forces targeted senior IS leaders in the Hajin region in Syria's eastern Deir Az Zor province near the Iraqi border. Included among those killed was the messenger for IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, according to the Iraqi government official release. Three houses linked by an underground tunnel were also destroyed, the statement said. The Iraqi press release added that the air raid was carried out based on "intelligence" and at the request of Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi. Hajin, located about 50km from Iraq's border, is the largest populated hub still under IS control in Syria. Coalition forces rely on each other and common goals to share actionable information quickly—some of the most important details to one element may seem inconsequential to another.
Old Yesterday, 15:48   #282
kotengu
Registered

Final Run: NO GREATER LOVE

Ayman Taha was born in Sudan, into an academically accomplished international family. Both his parents hold doctorates—after secondary school in England, Ayman received a bachelor's degree from the University of California at Berkeley and a master's in economics from the University of Massachusetts, where he was working toward a PhD. Athletic, a speaker of many languages, and a friend to all who met him, he had only to write his dissertation to earn his PhD, before he decided to serve in the Special Forces.

On his second deployment to Iraq, Taha was hastily preparing a cache of munitions for demolition in the town of Balad when the explosives he found detonated and he was killed. The intense firefights faced by his teammates indicate the explosives, if not destroyed, would have been used by enemy combatants to target American soldiers. His teammates were able to recover his remains only under pressure from enemy attack.

Ayman "lived in many cultures," his father said, was Muslim, and spoke English, Arabic, Spanish and Portuguese. More important than his formidable intellect or ability, were his personality and character. "If he has a five-minute conversation with you, that would be the beginning of a lifetime relationship." Ayman Taha demonstrates the character and integrity crucial to service in the Special Forces, and a love far greater and more important than any single combat-skill.
Old Yesterday, 19:40   #283
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:

Repost from FB for all non-FBers:

There's no way a video can do justice to the spirit, comaraderie, catharsis, horrible and amazing weather conditions, explosions and 50 cal simulators, and demonstrations of sheer willpower and skill we saw last weekend. But here's six minutes in which I try to capture just a TASTE of all that.

Thank you to everyone for helping me to pull this off and making it an extremely successful weekend from every single angle: from sharing 5th Group stories, to honoring their fallen and Gold Star Fathers, to raising a ton of money for the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 - and welcoming the guys themselves into our awesome Run N Gun Family while testing ourselves against the hardest course I've seen yet. I couldn't have done it without each and every one of you.

Matt - What a great match. You are an inspiration and an example of how a complex and meaningful event can be pulled of with a minimum of drama and a maximum of excellent experience for all involved.

You are the man.

Great video, too. Thanks for doing that.
Old Yesterday, 19:54   #284
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Really enjoyed those vignettes, many times. I like the printed out booklet as well, I will hang onto that forever!
Old Yesterday, 20:29   #285
kotengu
Registered

Thank you guys - for all your kind words and more importantly your help and hard work.

I wish I knew more about Ayman Taha. It was very important to the guys that he be included in this, and it was obvious that many of them knew him personally and were very much affected by his loss. Maybe one day I'll hear the rest of that story if I'm lucky.

Of course that goes for all of these stories. Lisa just said yesterday "It's different when you know these guys". It shouldn't be, but it is somehow. It's not just another name or a face, but a friend. Or even a friend of a friend. It makes it very real.
Old Yesterday, 21:42   #286
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Thank you good Sir.

Link for browsers that do not support embedded video -
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ZHetT2pgQ
I just got a chance to watch this all the way though - very well done! This is what kills me about these things though. I had NO IDEA most of this stuff was going on and only get to see it now. Thank you so much for posting this!

Some of my favorites:

Stage 1: "No - stop shooting!"
Stage 3: "Men never listen anyway - we tried to tell you!", and of course "That's what she said" (said by she)
Stage 4: the blood trail leading down the road, and "make haste, the clock is not your friend right now"
Stage 5: "Beat Stennett by 30 seconds" (he wasn't lying)
Stage 6: What the hell is that squeeking when you're running, Bruce? And how on earth did you break a NIGHTFORCE???

And although I hate that it didn't go well for you, I was SO HAPPY to see Stage 7 f$&k someone up. I was convinced not one single person ran all the way to the 3rd bay. The guys were adamant that would be there, as more often than not they work their butts off to get to a target only to find a dry hole. When you said "there's nothing here!" you got that feeling exactly, and I promise every 5SFG (and me!) was laughing and crying with you right then. Thank you for sharing that!

I have such awesome ROs...

Last edited by kotengu; Yesterday at 22:03.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05   #287
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Stage 1: "No - stop shooting!"
I also got a "No - stop shooting!" from Greg at 17:32

Quote:
Stage 6: What the hell is that squeeking when you're running, Bruce? And how on earth did you break a NIGHTFORCE???
I didn't break it, I unwittingly disassembled it.

I had not noticed the squeaking...no idea.

Quote:
And although I hate that it didn't go well for you, I was SO HAPPY to see Stage 7 f$&k someone up. I was convinced not one single person ran all the way to the 3rd bay. The guys were adamant that would be there, as more often than not they work their butts off to get to a target only to find a dry hole. When you said "there's nothing here!" you got that feeling exactly, and I promise every 5SFG (and me!) was laughing and crying with you right then. Thank you for sharing that!

I have such awesome ROs...
I told you any mind games I am gonna mess them up.

"What gnome? Matt had a hat on?"

Old Today, 10:06   #288
kotengu
Registered

Quote:

"What gnome? Matt had a hat on?"
Hahahaha - well played, sir.
Old Today, 10:27   #289
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

I was making mental notes the whole way. Didn't help me one bit.

I was lucky to remember hearing "... not more than two rooms ..." in the stage briefing.