The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old February 09, 2019, 15:29   #1
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Anyone done appleseed with a bolt gun?

I picked up a bolt action Ranger target 22LR and want to use it in appleseed in November - looking for tips and suggestions.
Old February 09, 2019, 21:18   #2
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Get thee to an Appleseed with whatever you have. But be prepared for helpful, genuinely concerned Instructors asking you if you would prefer a loaner (probably a 10/22). You can of course do good work with a bolt rifle, but it will be difficult to make score. Stages 2 & 3 of the AQT are 55 & 65 seconds respectively. With a transition from standing to sitting or prone, and with a mag change. Suggestions? Practice, practice, practice. Getting into position, establishing NPOA, etc. Good luck, enjoy!

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 19:16   #3
2barearms
I really don’t hate you
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
I did it a long time ago....there was all manner of rifle there alas there were no 22’s back then. We all brought the MBR M14$’ and a case of SA 308.....
it’s a challenge even with a semi. There was a lot of dust, the call came from my
rigtht and the wind blew from that side and by the time we trigger the first round the dust from them shooting was on us.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 16:29   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have done the AQT with a bolt .22LR and made the times, just barely. You need a rifle with 5 round mags at a minimum and 10 rounders are best. The best aid in shooting the AQT will be a stout sling, preferably a military sling you can adjust. Slinging up tight to lock the rifle to your shoulder will allow faster reloads without much disturbance in the shooting position (rifle movement). Rifle slippage and having to do major target acquisition will slow you down. Another headache is the need to assess the target after each shot. Don't worry about where the last shot hit, it goes where the sights are.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2019, 10:36   #5
palmettomoon
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 33994
I've scored Rifleman a couple of times (for grins) with an old Mossburg 44US trainer. It can be done but you should practice loading before you attend. I use a 1907 pattern sling but they teach mostly to the USGI web sling. A good sling with good solid attachment points is key to you success. I attend most of the 25/100 meter shoots at the club here and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to get someone to qual when they will not use a sling.
palmettomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 16:49   #6
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettomoon View Post
I've scored Rifleman a couple of times (for grins) with an old Mossburg 44US trainer. It can be done but you should practice loading before you attend. I use a 1907 pattern sling but they teach mostly to the USGI web sling. A good sling with good solid attachment points is key to you success. I attend most of the 25/100 meter shoots at the club here and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to get someone to qual when they will not use a sling.
Brother palmettomoon: I have a Mossberg 44US too. Where do/did you get extra magazines for it? Also, I would like to close the gap from the plastic/Bakelite trigger guard to the stock. Any idea where I could get spares or replacements or is there a fix for this without breaking the trigger guard?

Thanks,
Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote